Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Advice on street tires

6K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  CatCobra 
#1 ·
I've got crapelli zero neros on and have d@mn near lost it twice getting on the interstate. If I hadn't started out on dirt in a go cart I would have been toast. Any ideas on street tires? I'm mostly a daily driver now.....I'm running 245,19" all around, need an all season blend. Tks

#4 ·
I just put a set of those on about 2000 miles ago and love them. They hook up better than the Pirelli's and are great in the wet. No complaints so far.

#7 ·
Hands down the best street tire I have used for dry and especially wet would be the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. I love the wet stability of this tire, have not had a hydroplaning issue (most 285mm tires will be an issue, especially if they are on all four corners) in the year of daily driving that I have on them. I have put 20,000 miles(these tires hold up to the front of this car very well, even against my driving), two track days, and about 100 autocross runs on them (that said, if you are looking for a good autocross tire, the best choice is the Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec, due to it's incredible grip without heat in the tire). For performance driving, they are best with heat in the tire, but are way better than the factory Pirellis in the cold (I daily this car year round), but they are not useful in the snow.

Reactions: caliconv
#9 ·
You need to get your suspension lined out then. Bc I have tried dam near every tire you can think of, and for a street tire the street comps have been the best. Like I said I can still break them loose. But they offer better traction than anything I have tried. Even the gay ass michelins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#12 ·
Its always a balance between how long do you want it to last vs how well do you want it to grip. On the street, the nitto invo works well enough for me, but my car probably doesn't make but ~415 to the wheel and has a 3.31 gear, so i'm not as "traction limited" as others with more aggressive set ups.

#14 ·
I got 26k out of one pair of Pzeros, 29k out of the other two. Don't know why people don't care for them, but whatever. I've got 5 almost new ones sitting in the garage I found on CL. Bought 9 of them all in excellent shape this year. $600 total investment. Yall go on and keep hating and selling them for pennies, I'll take em all day long for street driving.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
I just put 275 DWS's on the rear and 245's on the front. Extremely happy with how they grip. My wife's first reaction was "Finally I can get traction!" We bought the car with worn out pirellis, so it was a much needed upgrade. I would have put street comps on, but I was a little worried about the grip during the cold months on a summer tire.

#20 · (Edited)
Hey Compstall, I got a heavy foot. That's why I bought an American muscle car. IMO pirellis should not be on any car with enough power too go get a loaf of bread. Zero neros are a all season tire that has very little grip, if it's wet they are fre@king dangerous. I wouldn't put em my bicycle. If you accelerate like grampa Sunday driver jones, them I guess they would work for some, but not me.... I own a mustang gt 5.0 and I love too smoke Chevys, beamers and grandpas in super cars that are too scared to drive them like they were designed....fast and loud. rrrr n SC

#22 ·
The NT05R does hook better, but that's because it's a designed drag radial. The R888 is technically an autocross and road race tire, they just hook really well also. And if you were to get stuck in the rain they have a bit better channels in the tread for it. For a car like yours Rap the 05R is the better choice. For an all around car the R888 is probably a better choice.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

#28 ·
2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

The NT05R does hook better, but that's because it's a designed drag radial. The R888 is technically an autocross and road race tire, they just hook really well also. And if you were to get stuck in the rain they have a bit better channels in the tread for it. For a car like yours Rap the 05R is the better choice. For an all around car the R888 is probably a better choice.
I've reviewed several brands of tires, as Soccer explains if you wish to drag well buy NT05R's. I enjoy corner carving and found Yokohama S-drives for $155.00 in 275/40/18's. M/T has a new line of tire worth looking at as well.

#32 ·
It would be nice if they made the R888 in a decent size for 19's

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Visually they look alot better than the NT05RS

#33 ·
I have read this whole thread twice loll so many options! I'm in same boat as OP, need to get rid of my zeros once it starts to heat up a bit. Micky street comps, continental DWS is what ive personally narrowed it down to. But here's my noob question:

For summer tires do you have to have same brand/type on all 4 corners? I know for winters you have to have them on all 4 tires to be safe. I was thinking if you can run DWS on front (for their wet grip) and Mickies on rear for hook up?

#35 ·
Depends on the use of them. If it's just normal driving with the occasional launch from a dig the rear ones are what matter, fronts won't matter in that case. If you care about corners at all or being able to take an onramp or something, you want the same tires all around. Or you will have major understeer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.