Thoughts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thoughts

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1419269035.136449.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	172352

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
note date on article 4/2011.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
note date on article 4/2011.

Yeah same tranny tho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Doesn't everyone who has an MT-82 know about this?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Doesn't everyone who has an MT-82 know about this?

I know but it shows that ford knows about it too and isn't helping us. F them.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
A Chinese transmission! That just sounds like a bad idea that's the only thing that bugs me about my mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

SO BASICALLY ITS NOT AMERICAN MUSCLE ANY MORE goes off to buy a honda......... vrooooooom
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconve View Post
SO BASICALLY ITS NOT AMERICAN MUSCLE ANY MORE goes off to buy a honda......... vrooooooom
Before you do that, stop by at a tremec shop
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
When I first bought my 14 Mustang I was relying on my experience buying my 97 Cobra, and they are two totally different cars, chassis and drivetrain. I didn't realize that the car had a China built trans, and since seeing how some people really hate them I've been looking at changing it since I would like to race my car like Grabber Blue5.0 does, and with pretty much the same mod's except use a 6spd instead of an automatic. I am not sure of the reliability of the stock 6spd but I've looked into the cost of the Magnum XL kit and it's over $4,000 although it is a bolt in. The only other thing is the gearing in the Tremec, my MT82 is perfect with my current 3:73's and 5th gear is 1 to 1, where in the Tremec 5th and 6th gears are both overdrives. I'm not sure if the internal gears can be changed like on the T45's, but if they can't then that would be a deal breaker for me.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
When I first bought my 14 Mustang I was relying on my experience buying my 97 Cobra, and they are two totally different cars, chassis and drivetrain. I didn't realize that the car had a China built trans, and since seeing how some people really hate them I've been looking at changing it since I would like to race my car like Grabber Blue5.0 does, and with pretty much the same mod's except use a 6spd instead of an automatic. I am not sure of the reliability of the stock 6spd but I've looked into the cost of the Magnum XL kit and it's over $4,000 although it is a bolt in. The only other thing is the gearing in the Tremec, my MT82 is perfect with my current 3:73's and 5th gear is 1 to 1, where in the Tremec 5th and 6th gears are both overdrives. I'm not sure if the internal gears can be changed like on the T45's, but if they can't then that would be a deal breaker for me.
From my experience here on ME, I have noticed that the MT82 transmissions are not that bad on their own - it's their combination with crapy ford shifter and bracket over time that makes it stand out even more. Too much movement during a spirited run.

Let's say if you plugged in MGW with a blowfish bracket or their race spec for that matter, right after you walked out of dealership with a new car, I'm more than certain the problems we see today would drop by at least 50% if not more.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
From my experience here on ME, I have noticed that the MT82 transmissions are not that bad on their own - it's their combination with crapy ford shifter and bracket over time that makes it stand out even more. Too much movement during a spirited run.

Let's say if you plugged in MGW with a blowfish bracket or their race spec for that matter, right after you walked out of dealership with a new car, I'm more than certain the problems we see today would drop by at least 50% if not more.
I already purchased the Whiteline trans mount and Energy Suspension shifter bracket mount.........I will put these on next time the car is up on the hoist and see how much it improves the stock shifter, then maybe I'll go the MGW shifter route.
I was at my local Ford dealer today ordering the GT500 rear valance and the parts manager told me he has heard through the Ford Grape Vine that there maybe some parts coming out from FMS that are going to enhance the MT82..........he wouldn't say anymore than that...........will wait and see what and if.
I just have to say this again because it is such a real pleasure to drive the 6spd in traffic with the 3:73 gears. The city where I live has a lot of 25/35mph main streets, and driving in 4th at 35 is great........but going through all four gears up to 35 is even more fun. It reminds me of driving my 68 Z28 when it still had the 5:13 drag gears behind the M21 close ratio......just a ton of fun!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's a really good idea! How many miles do you have on your car? Depending on your mileage, I'd suggest you change your shifter at the same time. Check out other forums, you can find a Hurst/steeda or maybe a Barton if you're lucky for about 150-200 bucks. Also stainless steel clutch lines (I have BNIB from my 3.7 that I never installed if you wanna buy). It will greatly improve the feel of shifter, and rowing through gears much more fun.

I have 3:15s in my A6 GT atm, they suck balls lol I'm just on the fence if i should get 3.55 or 3.73's for a DD with good mileage in mind. None the less I miss my 3.7 manual lol punching it on a hwy was so much fun haha.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
That's a really good idea! How many miles do you have on your car? Depending on your mileage, I'd suggest you change your shifter at the same time. Check out other forums, you can find a Hurst/steeda or maybe a Barton if you're lucky for about 150-200 bucks. Also stainless steel clutch lines (I have BNIB from my 3.7 that I never installed if you wanna buy). It will greatly improve the feel of shifter, and rowing through gears much more fun.

I have 3:15s in my A6 GT atm, they suck balls lol I'm just on the fence if i should get 3.55 or 3.73's for a DD with good mileage in mind. None the less I miss my 3.7 manual lol punching it on a hwy was so much fun haha.
I have looked at a number of forums and really haven't gotten much out of them. I'm a touch and feel kind of ole guy, so I'd like to find someone who would let me drive their car to see what the difference really feels like before I pull the trigger. Le me know how much you want for the clutch line. I know how the difference feels, like going from rubber brake lines up front to braided stainless steel, just a more solid feeling.
The car now has 4600 miles and although I agree about changing the shifter, one of the things I need to do early next month is to replace the UCA and LCA's and get rid of that junk 2 piece drive line. That along with the GT500 rear valance and twin tip mufflers will shoot my budget for January.
Since I haven't taken a ride in an automatic Mustang, except the 2015GT, and that GT had the optional 3:55's, which felt really nice with the 6spd auto...............although maybe not as much fun to drive as my 6spd manual with 3:73's. Now, with that said I think the 3:55's would be a better choice for the auto than the 3:73's...............IMHO
Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Everyone has their opinions on what gears work best for the autos but take it from someone with experience here. The 3:15's work just fine and if you have to step up in gears then no more than 3:31's. Any more gear and the car will be no faster. It will be a waste of money. Many have thought differently only to realize later they just pissed their money away. The autos feel a little lazy down low because of the converter, not the gearing.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Grabber Blue5.0 is correct, changing gears without doing anything to the converter is a waste of money if you want to go faster and plan to modify the motor later.
If you just want to enjoy driving and are not worried about trying to get into the 10's at the drag strip, by all means change the gears. I still believe that 3:55's should make the car feel more alive because you will be closer to the peak torque in your daily driving. The stock 5.0l is 390lbft at less than 4500rpm.
And with that said, I've drag raced automatics since the late 60's, when everyone told me I should have been using a 4spd and good converter, if you find one, would cost you as much as a buying a modified automatic..........again if you could find someone who knew what they were doing. I'll emphasize one more time that I have never run a mod'd street car with an automatic.
Racing at the strip and driving the same car as a DD is always a compromise. So it's your car go out and enjoy it whatever you decide to do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT