Help with getting together suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Help with getting together suspension

Hello, just want to throw up a list for my 2012 gt automatic to have y'all look it over and give thoughts as I am new to suspension and most mods.
First my plans for the car: I enjoy a bit of aggressive driving and having fun, maybe even run the drag strip a few times but most likely will not track the car, just looking to make it handle/perform better. For the time being(warranty) I want to get suspension set up first. Then get bigger rims/tires. Soon as warranty is up(never had a new car so I am enjoying not having to pay for stuff if it goes wrong) I will begin more modding. Far down the road I would like to go FI and play in the range of 5xx whp, but that is after college if at all.
I looked around and so far I think I am going with the gt500 mounts and Koni str.t strut/shocks. I am still unsure on springs, but will probably look for around a 1.5 drop at most. Then perhaps SR control arms and panhard bar, some type of control arm relocation set, eibach sway bars. Perhaps a bumpsteer kit? What recommendations could ya make? Anything I missed that is important, or do I even have too much listed? I am very open and am not brand specific. Thank you, I appreciate it in advance( and sorry for beating this topic a bit more to death, just want to see what you think about all of this together).
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
Hello, just want to throw up a list for my 2012 gt automatic to have y'all look it over and give thoughts as I am new to suspension and most mods.
First my plans for the car: I enjoy a bit of aggressive driving and having fun, maybe even run the drag strip a few times but most likely will not track the car, just looking to make it handle/perform better. For the time being(warranty) I want to get suspension set up first. Then get bigger rims/tires. Soon as warranty is up(never had a new car so I am enjoying not having to pay for stuff if it goes wrong) I will begin more modding. Far down the road I would like to go FI and play in the range of 5xx whp, but that is after college if at all.

I looked around and so far I think I am going with the gt500 mounts and Koni str.t strut/shocks. I am still unsure on springs, but will probably look for around a 1.5 drop at most. Then perhaps SR control arms and panhard bar, some type of control arm relocation set, eibach sway bars. Perhaps a bumpsteer kit? What recommendations could ya make? Anything I missed that is important, or do I even have too much listed? I am very open and am not brand specific. Thank you, I appreciate it in advance( and sorry for beating this topic a bit more to death, just want to see what you think about all of this together).

Hey Grim,

I'll cut right to the chase on this, I think the Koni shock and strut kit would be the best for you. I've ran them in the past and absolutely loved them! Killer ride, awesome handling, and you can still cruise along without worrying about a harsh feel.

Something I would also recommend would be a set of J&M Caster Camber plates to bring your alignment in toe. There are a ton of great brands out there but I've used J&M a lot in the past and they are an awesome "bang-for-the-buck" kit!

In regards to springs, I run the EIbach pro-kit myself and absolutely love the look and the ride. They dropped the car the "perfect" amount but didn't effect the quality of the ride like most lowering springs do.

The panhard bar is definitely a must on a lowered car, there are many companies out there making a solid product, but I am a huge fan of the BMR Panhard bar. I have this exact same one on my 14 and absolutely love it!

Looking into the control arms, I think you hit the nail right on the head when you mentioned the SR setup. They are a great product and don't put too big of a hole in your wallet. I have run the SR Adjustable Lower Control Arm kit in the past and definitely noticed the wheel hop subsiding and my 6o's improving.

Last but not least, I honestly don't think that a bumpsteer kit would be required for your setup unless the roads in your area are pretty chewed up. I always recommend them on the older cars (especially New Edge's) but with the S197 the suspension components are so new that I don't think they're necessary.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, I'm just a PM away. Hope this helps!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
With those shocks and struts do I need the gt500 mounts still?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Help with getting together suspension

For better cornering I'd go with CC plates personally, brand being Maximum Motorsports. And my vote is for KONI Yellows in regards to shocks and struts.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT