Deciding on wheels/tires, suggestions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: McLean
Region: Virginia
Posts: 264
Deciding on wheels/tires, suggestions?

I think I want to get gloss black 19 inch amrs 8.5 in the front and 10 in the back... With 255/40/19 front and 285/35/19 back tires should be mickey street comps... Any feed back on this setup? Will I have any problems with staggered besides rotating... Would anyone suggest going 9.5s all around? And how much quicker do tires wear out with staggered fitment

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
audioAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 604
2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

M/T has a new R series tire you may want to look at. I'd go at least 9" on fronts. Also 18" tires are easier to find in more sizes you may seek. I did 255/40/18's in front & 275/40/18's rear. The razor rims are 18x9.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Glades backwater 003.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	172398  
__________________
2014 DIB 3.7 "Blue Cyclone" on 275/40/18 RE 760 Sports/Sold
2016 ruby red GT 300 A with 3.55:1 gear/SVE resonator delete X-pipe/ UPR catch can/Airaid/AEM/J&M Bushings/ BMR cradle lockout/BMR CB006 brace/BMR cc bolts/S-04 pole position'
audioAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
I think I want to get gloss black 19 inch amrs 8.5 in the front and 10 in the back... With 255/40/19 front and 285/35/19 back tires should be mickey street comps... Any feed back on this setup? Will I have any problems with staggered besides rotating... Would anyone suggest going 9.5s all around? And how much quicker do tires wear out with staggered fitment
Hey Kave,


Just wanted to jump in here and shed some light. First of all, the Staggered AMR Black Wheel & Mickey Thompson Tire Kit is an awesome choice!

In regards to any negatives to staggering there really are none! Except for the lack of the ability to rotate and the possibility of the rear tires being a tad more expensive but boy is it worth it. It gives the car an awesome look and definitely aids in traction.

With a proper alignment, staggering the wheel setup will not effect the wear of the tires at all except for the minimal change you will get by not being able to rotate; although personally, I have not noticed a difference on any of my staggered setups.


Since the purchase of my first Mustang, each one since then has had a staggered wheel and tire setup as soon as the stock set came off the car and I would not have it any other way!




Also, if you want to get some more info on the AMR's and staggering, check out this video!



Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!


-Will
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: McLean
Region: Virginia
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey Kave,


Just wanted to jump in here and shed some light. First of all, the Staggered AMR Black Wheel & Mickey Thompson Tire Kit is an awesome choice!

In regards to any negatives to staggering there really are none! Except for the lack of the ability to rotate and the possibility of the rear tires being a tad more expensive but boy is it worth it. It gives the car an awesome look and definitely aids in traction.

With a proper alignment, staggering the wheel setup will not effect the wear of the tires at all except for the minimal change you will get by not being able to rotate; although personally, I have not noticed a difference on any of my staggered setups.


Since the purchase of my first Mustang, each one since then has had a staggered wheel and tire setup as soon as the stock set came off the car and I would not have it any other way!




Also, if you want to get some more info on the AMR's and staggering, check out this video!



Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!


-Will
Question, I have been talking to one of my friends and I told him I wanted to get Mickey Thompson street comps, but he says no and says toyo r888s or hankook v12 evo v 2 but they are both expensive and also the michellin super sports which are all more expensive than the Mickeys, are the Mickeys ok for daily driving and the occasional track run?
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Street Comps are a good all around tire. The R888s are considered an R comp tire, you will be lucky to get 10k out of it, but it sticks like glue in a straight line and in corners. The R888 is designed as an autocross and road racing tire. If your car is a daily driver or close to it then go with the MT Street Comps.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: McLean
Region: Virginia
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Street Comps are a good all around tire. The R888s are considered an R comp tire, you will be lucky to get 10k out of it, but it sticks like glue in a straight line and in corners. The R888 is designed as an autocross and road racing tire. If your car is a daily driver or close to it then go with the MT Street Comps.
It is a daily driver so I will go with MT lol thanks man
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Enid
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 235
10k if you're not in the gas lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Yea if you like to spin tires or do track days or autocross cut the life of R888s in half.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Belmont
Region: California
Posts: 66
I assume your inquiry means you may not use your car as a daily driver, or at least that you don't plan on taking it any great distance. My 2014 Premium Performance Package is my dd, and I use it on long runs, including through the Mojave Desert region. With no faith in the ridiculous little air pump that came as the "spare," I bought a spare wheel and 19" tire. Carrying two wouldn't make much sense. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: McLean
Region: Virginia
Posts: 264
^literally have no idea what that comment is supposed to mean? I said my car is my daily driver and I never asked anything about a spare?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Belmont
Region: California
Posts: 66
My apologies, kaveh14GT - I misread your question. My point was that one should consider four same-sized tires for a daily driver.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
dabishop25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: El Paso
Region: Texas
Posts: 178
Thanks buddy. I am looking for a setup like this! 20x10 rear and 19x9 in front. What do you think? How wide can I go on rear tire?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 GT/CS Sterling Grey, Roush AB's, MMD Quarter Louvers, AM Chrome shift knob, LED's
dabishop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheval View Post
My apologies, kaveh14GT - I misread your question. My point was that one should consider four same-sized tires for a daily driver.
Not necessarily. But in generally, what does happen is you will end up spending a little more money on tires with a staggered set up.

My last staggered set up (235 front, 265 rear - not a mustang), my fronts wore on the outer edges from road course racing, and my rears were pretty uniformly worn and shot around the same time. If I had same size tires, I might have been able to rotate a little earlier on & extended the life some, but not by a whole lot.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Enid
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 235
(2) 295/35/20 Nittos

What I run. No issues and they are wide.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
(2) 295/35/20 Nittos

What I run. No issues and they are wide.
Agreed, since he has 10" wheels, I'd go 295 wide... that extra inch... (1/2 inch on each tire) can help keep the tires from spinning a little.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,019
I have a set of black 19/9.5 SVE drifts with SVT caps that I would sell for 300 picked up or 300 plus actual shipping

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...ums4667-35422/
__________________
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will 205/75-14 tires fit 14x7 wheels? will 225/45-17 tires fit 16x8 wheels? baudier Classic Mustangs 4 03-29-2016 09:25 PM
Help on deciding wheels!! Eric5oh 2011-2014 Mustang GT 37 12-07-2014 01:31 AM
I need help deciding on wheels Cajunick 1996-2004 Mustang GT 10 11-22-2011 11:31 AM
got the rims ordered---tires---tires--tires flysure1 Mustang Wheels & Tires 4 02-15-2006 11:59 AM
Helping deciding on Mach 1 rims 02Stang Mustang Wheels & Tires 8 05-13-2004 07:33 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:04 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.