Car bogged down just after I tuned it - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car bogged down just after I tuned it

I have ran Bama's 91 performance tune without any issues since last few days, decided to try out their revised 91R tune (for steeda CAI) this evening. I let it idle for about 2 mins and kept my eye on AFR. It kept hovering between 13.7/8 to 14.2, no check engine light nothing out of the ordinary.

As soon as I started driving it (granny way) and hit 35-40 mph, it bogged down all of a sudden and this yellow wrench light came on. I had my eyes on AFR during this time - I'm guessing it was in early 13s, and cylinder head temp shot up to 205F.

I was really paranoid at this point, so I didn't really get a chance to plug my tuner back in to see what type of code it might be. I have switched it back to 91P tune and no issues thus far. Not really trying to start another Bama bash thread, just curious what might have been the issue up there? Ima call em tomorrow (if they're open) to get it sorted out. My AFR dips down to 11.2 at WOT

Meanwhile I can't wait to get my Lund and MPT tune
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Same thing happened to me last week. Changed from 91 street to 91 performance and it ran fine for a few minutes and then started bogging and the wrench light came on. I limped back home and reloaded the same tune and all is well. No idea what caused it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Sounds like a crappy tune.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ye I got revisions done to my tune at same time, so far 91P runs just fine. It just the race tune that is giving me lemons. I called BAMA this morning, they asked me to load it up again and read trouble code. Well, my X4 didn't find any codes. I had my datalog running this whole time, sent it to BAMA and they said fueling is off somewhere. Hmmm....
Old 12-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
You guys should really get a real tune. Go with Lund , aed , VMP, or someone that actually tunes then instead of a canned tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Lund ftw!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Sounds like a crappy tune.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
What you said
Old 12-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sounds like it is in the tune. fyi

Its been said a million times, but the quality of the gas you have access to will determine how aggressive a tune can be made for your car period. That is the limitation regardless of whoever tunes your car.

I'm lucky to get a top tier ethanol free 93. This with a mix of booster I can make a solid 96-97 octane. My car gives me 30 plus degrees of timing with no knock.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I have ran Bama's 91 performance tune without any issues since last few days, decided to try out their revised 91R tune (for steeda CAI) this evening. I let it idle for about 2 mins and kept my eye on AFR. It kept hovering between 13.7/8 to 14.2, no check engine light nothing out of the ordinary.

As soon as I started driving it (granny way) and hit 35-40 mph, it bogged down all of a sudden and this yellow wrench light came on. I had my eyes on AFR during this time - I'm guessing it was in early 13s, and cylinder head temp shot up to 205F.

I was really paranoid at this point, so I didn't really get a chance to plug my tuner back in to see what type of code it might be. I have switched it back to 91P tune and no issues thus far. Not really trying to start another Bama bash thread, just curious what might have been the issue up there? Ima call em tomorrow (if they're open) to get it sorted out. My AFR dips down to 11.2 at WOT

Meanwhile I can't wait to get my Lund and MPT tune

Hey Bazinga,

I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble. Instead of going back and forth I would love to have BAMA's lead calibrator reach out to you and make sure that your tune is 100% squared away. I feel as if there might be something going on in regards to a miscommunication of intake sizes and that could be what is throwing the car into limp mode. At your earliest convenience, shoot me over a PM with some contact info and I will see to it that you are completely taken care of.

Once again, sorry about the trouble you are having but I am positive the Bama team can get you smiling again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCiv View Post
Same thing happened to me last week. Changed from 91 street to 91 performance and it ran fine for a few minutes and then started bogging and the wrench light came on. I limped back home and reloaded the same tune and all is well. No idea what caused it.
Hey Bigciv,

Having a tune throw the car into limp mode but then having it go completely back to normal after re-loading the same tune is pretty odd! I have a feeling that the original tune might not have loaded onto the car properly. Regardless, if you are not 100% satisfied with your current tune, feel free to PM me with some contact info and I can also have our lead calibrator reach out and get you 100% squared away.

I hope this helps and let me know if anyone has any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT