Giving up the 2014 GT - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #106
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Well...just like 100 percent of this forum...I'm not a professional race car driver. A 295 is good enough for me,

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Well...just like 100 percent of this forum...I'm not a professional race car driver. A 295 is good enough for me,
My point is a professional driver could tell you that you're actually negatively affecting performance, once you go over exceed certain dimensions. ie: you'd have better overall performance with a tire that matches your wheel properly.

Do you actually want a wider tire for more performance or to look cooler? After a certain point the tire is going to be "mushy" or wiggle around too much b/c there's not enough wheel underneath it to support it. It MIGHT be ok for straight line performance, but when you take a turn the wheel wall won't be supported properly.

Its like people putting 22" wheels on their car b/c they look good, but then the car rides like crap. The best performance is around 18-19" wheels for these cars, though many racers go with 18" b/c you get best performance, lighter wheels, and cheaper tires.

Or I guess you'd prefer to wear baggie 36"-38" jeans that hang off your *** b/c they look cool go right ahead, try running in them & see what happens.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Wooo she looks good man.
tidecrazy3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #109
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
My point is a professional driver could tell you that you're actually negatively affecting performance, once you go over exceed certain dimensions. ie: you'd have better overall performance with a tire that matches your wheel properly.

Do you actually want a wider tire for more performance or to look cooler? After a certain point the tire is going to be "mushy" or wiggle around too much b/c there's not enough wheel underneath it to support it. It MIGHT be ok for straight line performance, but when you take a turn the wheel wall won't be supported properly.

Its like people putting 22" wheels on their car b/c they look good, but then the car rides like crap. The best performance is around 18-19" wheels for these cars, though many racers go with 18" b/c you get best performance, lighter wheels, and cheaper tires.

Or I guess you'd prefer to wear baggie 36"-38" jeans that hang off your *** b/c they look cool go right ahead, try running in them & see what happens.

I only want larger tires because I don't have traction. I don't give a **** how they look.

I don't let my pants hang low sir. And I definitely don't think it looks cool. But I'm sure you rock the wranglers with the washed out bill fold/skoal pocket. Git r done.

I like how you're acting like you have experience in the matter. For every post you've regurgitated from the Internet, there's another post the contradicts what you've found. But the bottom line is...your just getting second hand info and you think you know what's up. After I actually try it...I'll give you and anyone else my first hand experience with the subject. Which is worth more weight than your " my friends friend saw on the Internet that a 295 blah blah".

If a tire is too wide for the rim...it won't benefit from a wider tire. In my opinion...a 295 is on the verge of being too wide for a 9.5...however...several people that own gt500's have gone with a 295 with tremendous success. It's worth a try for me if it means better straight line traction.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

You're right, I don't have first hand experience with 295 on a 9.5" wheel, b/c I believed math, geometry & science (engineering) & people with race experience, so I went with a proven size 285 on my 9.5 rears. I felt it would be stupid to guinea pig a size that is known to NOT be optimal.

P.S. Technically, the optimal sizes are a few notches down (see below) already from the "max sizes". If you look at stock wheel / tire combos even on very high performance vehicles (like Porsche, Ferrari, , its more like

8 = 235 (Porsche Cayman front wheels)
8.5 = 245 (Porsche 911 front wheels)
9 = 255
9.5 = 265 (Porsche Cayman rear wheels)
10 = 275
10.5 = 285
11.0 = 295 (Porsche 911 rear wheels)
11.5 = 305 - ( Z-28 all 4 corners)

But I'm just "regurgitating stuff"... like math, science & massive experience of race teams, car manufacturers, etc.... People with real racing or engineering experience get a bigger (correct) size wheel if they want a bigger tire, and use that basic TRIED & TRUE formula I posted above.

You go retest things. While you're at it you shouldn't believe the formula for pi either. You should remeasure the circumference of your tires rather than use math to calculate them & plug in your speedo calcs.

Simple math, like tire sizes are not variable, like Biology. (excluding slight variations in states sized by different manufacturers)

Maybe in your field of work, you can try different work outs b/c different people respond differently and you're used to your biology (science) being much more variable.

That said, 295 is at the margin of the correct size, so you may not notice the turning performance suffering slightly, etc... So you do what YOU THINK is right.... in fact why bother consulting a forum?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #111
Road Trip!

Quote:
You're right, I don't have first hand experience with 295 on a 9.5" wheel, b/c I believed math, geometry & science (engineering) & people with race experience, so I went with a proven size 285 on my 9.5 rears. I felt it would be stupid to guinea pig a size that is known to NOT be optimal.

P.S. Technically, the optimal sizes are a few notches down (see below) already from the "max sizes". If you look at stock wheel / tire combos even on very high performance vehicles (like Porsche, Ferrari, , its more like

8 = 235 (Porsche Cayman front wheels)
8.5 = 245 (Porsche 911 front wheels)
9 = 255
9.5 = 265 (Porsche Cayman rear wheels)
10 = 275
10.5 = 285
11.0 = 295 (Porsche 911 rear wheels)
11.5 = 305 - ( Z-28 all 4 corners)

But I'm just "regurgitating stuff"... like math, science & massive experience of race teams, car manufacturers, etc.... People with real racing or engineering experience get a bigger (correct) size wheel if they want a bigger tire, and use that basic TRIED & TRUE formula I posted above.

You go retest things. While you're at it you shouldn't believe the formula for pi either. You should remeasure the circumference of your tires rather than use math to calculate them & plug in your speedo calcs.

Simple math, like tire sizes are not variable, like Biology. (excluding slight variations in states sized by different manufacturers)

Maybe in your field of work, you can try different work outs b/c different people respond differently and you're used to your biology (science) being much more variable.

That said, 295 is at the margin of the correct size, so you may not notice the turning performance suffering slightly, etc... So you do what YOU THINK is right.... in fact why bother consulting a forum?

Thanks for agreeing with me about the 295. I agree that it's close. But i agree with this because people with gt500's run it with no issues.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #112
Road Trip!

315 nitto and a 295 pss

That's strange....the michelin 295 is just as wide as the 315 nitto. I bet you feel dumb.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420500621.238875.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	173010Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420500643.971872.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	173011

Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^ I said it earlier in this thread or one of them, believe it was this one. Nittos always run narrow.

And I didn't read the latest comments. But a 295 is all is needed. It's the tire you run vs the width.

**** I was hooking up on a 15's with a 275 awhile back. The width does not matter as much as the tire used itself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #114
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
^ I said it earlier in this thread or one of them, believe it was this one. Nittos always run narrow.

And I didn't read the latest comments. But a 295 is all is needed. It's the tire you run vs the width.

**** I was hooking up on a 15's with a 275 awhile back. The width does not matter as much as the tire used itself

I agree. What tires have worked well for you?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Giving up the 2014 GT

Quote:
315 nitto and a 295 pss

That's strange....the michelin 295 is just as wide as the 315 nitto. I bet you feel dumb.Attachment 173010Attachment 173011

Funny how that Geometric Rithimitick works out sometimes! Git R Done!

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree. What tires have worked well for you?

I love nt05r's. My tire of choice
Or mickey ET street radials - for 15's ( ran them in a 275/60/15 )
ET street radial 2's - 18-20's ( only ran these once though )

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Well they look to be about 1/2 different... 11" vs 11.5". When they're supposed to be 20mm different which is about 3/4" difference.(315-295= 20mm / 25.4mm per inch). I don't think you proved anything but bad camera angles showing about 1/2" difference and assuming Nittos run a LITTLE small in this case about 1/4" small then that makes perfect sense.

P.s. as for diameter, that's a matter of what you're doing. If youre drag racing smaller diameter + drag radials will hook up better. Road racing/autocrossing you'll want larger diameter for better tire rigidity in the turns.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 AM   #118
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well they look to be about 1/2 different... 11" vs 11.5". When they're supposed to be 20mm different which is about 3/4" difference.(315-295= 20mm / 25.4mm per inch). I don't think you proved anything but bad camera angles showing about 1/2" difference and assuming Nittos run a LITTLE small in this case about 1/4" small then that makes perfect sense.

P.s. as for diameter, that's a matter of what you're doing. If youre drag racing smaller diameter + drag radials will hook up better. Road racing/autocrossing you'll want larger diameter for better tire rigidity in the turns.

The 295 is a half inch bigger than the 315. Dude you don't know when to quit... Just accept the fact that you got owned. If you need to, reference the middle finger picture a couple pages back.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome car Mikeyt. That is a sick ride
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Man ppl be serious about some rubber

20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

It's a serious subject...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
tidecrazy3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #122
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Awesome car Mikeyt. That is a sick ride

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidecrazy3193 View Post
It's a serious subject...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Sure. Let's mud wrestle over some Nittos.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
Man ppl be serious about some rubber

No kidding! lol

Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
i don't think i've ever seen or heard such a heated discussion on tire size before.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #126
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution5.0 View Post
i don't think i've ever seen or heard such a heated discussion on tire size before.

C-rizzle and his sidekick are still butt hurt over some previous threads. He's not really arguing about tires, he's just trying to find an opportunity to prove me wrong. Unfortunately he doesn't know much about tires other than what he reads on miata.net

Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Miatas are nice. My sister has one.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
C-rizzle and his sidekick are still butt hurt over some previous threads. He's not really arguing about tires, he's just trying to find an opportunity to prove me wrong. Unfortunately he doesn't know much about tires other than what he reads on miata.net

oh i see. poor feller trying to get some dignity back lol. anyways.....how are the brakes on the GT500? Not sure if you plan on tracking your car but i have heard the brakes fade quick on them. (not sure if you brought this up as i go lost in a sea of tire threads)
Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
Miatas are nice. My sister has one.

There is a guy that swapped a LSX in his miata where i live. that car is scary/exhilerating when it has 400 to the wheels.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
There is a guy that swapped a LSX in his miata where i live. that car is scary/exhilerating when it has 400 to the wheels.
That would be fun!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oh i see. poor feller trying to get some dignity back lol. anyways.....how are the brakes on the GT500? Not sure if you plan on tracking your car but i have heard the brakes fade quick on them. (not sure if you brought this up as i go lost in a sea of tire threads)
No, I've just decided to let stupid do what stupid wants to do.

If I had his car (662 hp), I'd probably put some 11" rims on it with REAL 315 wide tires on the rear, like PSS's.

He's taking worst case Nitto's which run narrow, and comparing them to a Michelin's which are true sized tires, like most brands. Most tires will be closer to the Michelin's, unlike Nitto's that overstates their sizes to charge you more / give you less.

The only real lesson here is Nitto's #'s are overstated about an inch.

I've seen the same information he's "regurgitating" other places. Here to be specific: Time to put the 315 vs 295 debate to bed!*** - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com Since he likes to say I'm regurgitating info.

I was at the track 1/2 the day yesterday actually driving cars, instead of just talking about it, so was slammed when I got back to my office and didn't have time to play with Mikey & his pissing contest. No matter how hard he works out, how much he shaves his legs, how fast of a car he buys.... he's still going to have that same inferiority complex.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #132
Road Trip!

Quote:
No, I've just decided to let stupid do what stupid wants to do.

If I had his car (662 hp), I'd probably put some 11" rims on it with REAL 315 wide tires on the rear, like PSS's.

He's taking worst case Nitto's which run narrow, and comparing them to a Michelin's which are true sized tires, like most brands. Most tires will be closer to the Michelin's, unlike Nitto's that overstates their sizes to charge you more / give you less.

The only real lesson here is Nitto's #'s are overstated about an inch.

I've seen the same information he's "regurgitating" other places. Here to be specific: Time to put the 315 vs 295 debate to bed!*** - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com Since he likes to say I'm regurgitating info.

I was at the track 1/2 the day yesterday actually driving cars, instead of just talking about it, so was slammed when I got back to my office and didn't have time to play with Mikey & his pissing contest. im c-rizzle and my car is slow as **** but I like to race it to work and back where I crunch number because that's about the only thing I can think of to do with my life...other than wrestling gators in my crick.

So your the passive aggressive type?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

the plot thickens lol
Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. FYI, it's "... you're the passive ..."
Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #135
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol. FYI, it's "... you're the passive ..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420665530.224515.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	173097

Old 01-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hahahaha
Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

I was just pointing out that your English was as bad as your Math and Science & Reasoning.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just pointing out that your English was as bad as your Math and Science & Reasoning.

It should be math,science, and reasoning....I think..lol but anyway a lot of guys around here run the 315 Nittos on GT500's but the Michelin PSS 295's are good too for everyday street driving.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

You know what?
You guys can have the fastest car and widest, stickiest tires

My penis is still bigger.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just pointing out that your english was as bad as your math, science & reasoning.
Fixed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT