Front struts and control arms issue.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Front struts and control arms issue....

Ok guys so Im a little frustrated that Ford will not fix this issue in my car!! They are fully aware of the struts/control arms but will ONLY replace them with same part. Im not sure why they only offer this knowing that the OEM part is the issue!! SO, what can I do to resolve this? Going fully after market on full suspension?? Im not that knowledgeable on this field so I would like to know what you all think I should do. I have contacted Ford Customer service and all they advise me of is to please take car back!!! IM

My car has 6k miles on it now and since I bought it in February, it has happened since. My car sounds like a pinto going over ANY KIND of speed bump or at that any kind of bump
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had the same problem in my 2012. Pulling into the drive way and it was going "pop pop pop" got real sick of it. Took it to ford, drive it a week and it came right back. They replaced the strut mount. I fixed the issue with some maximum motor sport caster camber plates.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have been in 4 times at 2 different dealers for a leaky rear end (vent) with nothing done. Going to install a catch can myself and call it a day.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I have the same problem with my 14, but I lowered it right after I got it. I will replace the upper strut plate with an aftermarket one in the future.............my car only has 4,500 miles.
My wife's Performance Plus Prius (factory lowered) had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and had them replace it twice. The third time I told the dealer I was going to bring it in and if the issue was not fixed I would ask them to take the car back, in California if you take a new car into a dealer and have the same thing worked on 3 times within the first 18,000 miles and the problem is not resolved, the Lemon Law comes into play, and they will need to replace the car. Now this is in California, I don't know about other states.
It took almost 2 months, but a part came into the dealer (I assume from Japan), it was installed and the issue was resolved. I have no idea what they did, but I do have all of the paperwork and the part numbers for the replacement part do not exist.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I have been in 4 times at 2 different dealers for a leaky rear end (vent) with nothing done. Going to install a catch can myself and call it a day.

There's a tsb available for the rear end vent leaking

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
504gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

Region: Connecticut
My 2013 GT squeaks/groans over bumps too. Dealer "didn't hear it" first time I brought it in. The second time I tried to bring it is was back in July but it stopped. At least until the air temp got below 75 again then it started up. Will try a 3rd time this spring.

JakJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

TSB was done at one of the trips to the shop

Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys...I'm very frustrated as I do not want them really touching my car but it's so embarrassing having a new car that does this. So again no one really has answered my question as to what to do to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm having the same problem on my 14 but they want me to leave my car for a couple days to inspect the issue.

Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

EXACTLY!!!!! Why would you want to leave you car right for an inspection! My car went 2 times. First time itvwas there for 4 days and they replaced strut and control arm. 2nd time, my car was there for 5 days and they did nothing. Unbelievable. I'm happy due to them not scratching my wheels when removing them but still upset the issue is not taken care of. I actually want to get rid of it due to this problem. Now it's starting to squeak when I come to going over a speed numb and my car has 5700 miles on it.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This is what you get with a warranty. It isn't a mod it for free club. Just because you are having an issue doesn't mean there aren't thousands of Mustangs out there with the same suspension that aren't having any problems. If they are willing to replace the item in question, that is all you can ask and what you paid for when you bought the warranty built into the price of the car.

You've also got to be prepared that they will scrutinize the issue and they'll take their time solving it. This is a cost to the company and that's due diligence.

Just stay calm and be politely persistent. trust me, I know how you feel. I had a lot more major component than a strut give me problems.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

5LHO.
We'll buddy you have literally just calmed me down. Lol I guess I'm just upset how they are handling it but your right, it isn't a rush to them. If I can find a reasonable way to fix it, on my own I'd be inclined to just go that route but again I'm not a tech savvy guy with this type of knowledge on suspension work. I guess I will start looking into it at one of these nearby shops.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It totally sucks to go through this, I know. I had to give up my car for a month, go back and forth 100 kilomters one way multiple times to the dealer, use every negotiating tactic I know (this from someone who negotiates for a living) to get the dealer and Ford to accept that the supercharger sound coming from my transmission wasn't "normal". Persistence eventually paid off though and no problems since.

If you are committed to the aftermarket solution, there are dozens of strut/spring/coilover/bag/CC plate packages to pick from. You can also change out the lower control arms for everything from Boss 302 stuff to full bespoke aftermarket control arm options. It's a Mustang, somebody's always making stuff for it.

You sure the noise is coming from the front? The rear sway bar end links have been a notorious clunk producer since 2005. I'm on my second set of those, too, in less than 15000 miles, at the time.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 01-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yep its in the front and yes I would like to swap out the suspension but won't that void my warranty? If so and they can't fix it next week, M4 here I come!! I just hate sounding like a 74 pinto in a parking lot of Target!

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

And what type of supercharger do you have?

Old 01-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely it will void the warranty on the parts replaced and will draw unwanted attention if you have other warranty related concerns because the car is modified. That's reality.

I don't have a supercharger, that's what the MT82 sounded like after the input shaft bearing imploded. You could hear my car coming a block away with that racket.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok well in that case I think I will ask Ford to replace the parts with Ford Racing parts not just standard OEM parts...so your car was finally fixed?

Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ask away, they won't do it. They will replace what they have determined is broken, with the same item, no more, no less. Ford won't let a dealer do this, unless the dealer pays for it all on their own, without reimbursement, which no dealer will do. The warranty is still done on those parts with that, even if they did, as Ford Racing parts are unwarrantied or carry their own limited warranties.

Yes, they rebuilt the trans at the dealer and it's been fine since, including 100+ passes down the dragstrip on slicks. It would have been cheaper for Ford to just give up quick and send a new trans, rather than pay the dealer to rebuild mine but, hey, again, that's how warranties often work. That job was billed out to the mother corp at 20 hours labour, plus all the parts.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post
So again no one really has answered my question as to what to do to fix it.
I told you what it is. Its the strut mounts. You fix it by taking it to Ford and telling them to fix it. I have coil overs and they still tossed another strut mount on it. If they wont fix it then get maximum motor sports caster camber plates and be done with it.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ok got ya. Seems like you know alot about these types of issues. I appreciate your time to help me out.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I know a lot more from being on this forum. But yes I've had the same issue you have. Sounds like a 1976 mustang going in and out of driveways. Sucks. Mine is fixed but only because I went aftermarket on the caster camber plates. When you get around to changing the mount you will see how cheap it is. Plastic, thin, small ball bearings.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Grabber 12
Wow buddy exactly what it sounds like! Lol I will definitely do what your saying and what 5LHO advised, what brand did you go with? Did you do it yourself?
I agree being on here I'm learning.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I did it my self. This is what I put on and they cost like 100$ more then some other brands but the other brands are just as good. http://www.americanmuscle.com/mm-caster-camber-plates-2011.html
You can also just go with the GT500 strut mounts and they are like 100$ for the pair. If your lowered then I would go caster/camber plates to get a perfect alignment. One thing I hate about my camber plates is that you still use the cheap ford strut bearings. But for some reason they don't make noise on the new plates. (not yet) lol
Old 01-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Frankly, on a brand new car, I'd give Ford the chance to make it right, unless you really don't like how the car handles or plan bigger suspension mods down the road.

Ford happily replaced my right rear shock that started leaking slightly..which may have had something to do with me launching it, clutch dump, at the dragstrip on slicks a hundred times.

I bought BBP because I wanted good brakes and handling in a comfortable package. Is it perfect, no but, it's good for a DD on stock equipment.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I will try one more time with Ford. I understand cars are not perfect but with this being a huge problem, I'd figure they would do something different to fix it. Again I really like my car and have only put 6000 miles on it in a year.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If you can reproduce the racket, say by finding the nearest sleeping policeman, take a tech on a ride-along and do it. Then ask for an NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) form and articulate the nature of the sound on that.

It isn't a "huge problem" and it is a relatively straighforward fix.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Oh its quite obvious when tech goes with me, it's just having to drop car off and deal with all that. A little difficult for me as I travel alot and my wife can't drive a manual tran. I hope they get it right next time. Thanks again for your help and input. Happy New Year to you

Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ya, warranty service is nothing if not inconvenient. I expect there would be similar time and convenience concerns if you planned to strip the struts and reassemble them in your driveway. Surely you have a friend who could pick the car up....or just leave it there until you return.

Happy holiday season to you as well!

Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Sounds like a 1976 mustang going in and out of driveways.
You sure it's not a 74 Pinto?

Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yep..it's a pinto! Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT