Breather install with a few pictures. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Breather install with a few pictures.

I decided to install the breathers on both passenger and driver side today and thought I would share a few pictures of what I did. So I went to Autozone and bought this pack of vacuum caps.

Then took off both vacuum lines and capped them. The caps in this little kit here fit real nice and are thick. Below is the cap behind the throttle body.

Below is the intake cap sitting right under the sound tube.

I didn't like how high the breather sat on the passenger side so I trimmed the grommet about 1/2 way off and now it sits as low as it can before it touched the coil cover.

After trimming it you can slide it down to the little protruding ring until it stops and your good to go. I also painted the little Blue vacuum tube that comes out of the head Black. Both vacuum tubes unscrew out of the head counter clockwise and then pull right out.

Below im test fitting it with out a clamp to see if I need to trim more off the breather.

Nope 1/2 was good enough and it fits nice and tight.

So easy I don't see why everyone wouldn't do this. The Autozone caps were 4.99, the breather were 5.00 each on Ebay. I bought the 12mm breathers but still had to drill out the hole bigger to fit the vacuum tubes.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good, I have read there is an additional step needed on the Passenger side to make breathers function properly. Removal of a check ball or check valve. I can't remember what is was called.
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
This is a must do for all coyote owners IMO. Especially for those that run into questionable fuel quality. A gummed up and oily intake is a recipe for detonation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I'm installing my Bobs oil catch can this weekend. Is that sufficient or would I benefit from this too?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^^ You can have one or the other, not both.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
But you are trading for a oily, gummed up engine compartment and having positive crankcase ventilation helps performance. I prefer catch cans.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'd also keep an eye on the breathers. I've only seen it once, on a Boss that regularly goes to 8k, but the filter actually separated from the base. The PCV gases, fumes, gunk, basically just ate away at the material and turned it to goop, and the filter popped right off.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes on the passenger side you pop the check valve out the bottom with a small screwdriver. Many guys debate this breather mod so to each there own. I tend to trust the more knowledgeable guys on here like rapinator & grabberblue5.0. If my engine bay gets all gummed up I will be sure to let everyone know. But from what I've read from our knowledgeable members it won't gum up.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
But you are trading for a oily, gummed up engine compartment and having positive crankcase ventilation helps performance. I prefer catch cans.
You do not get a " oily, gummed up engine compartment"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Also if my 5 dollar breather falls apart in 6 months I'm just gonna go out and spend another 5 dollars and replace it. Thanks for the heads up though. I will definitely be looking for it falling apart in the future.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'd also keep an eye on the breathers. I've only seen it once, on a Boss that regularly goes to 8k, but the filter actually separated from the base. The PCV gases, fumes, gunk, basically just ate away at the material and turned it to goop, and the filter popped right off.
eh, the breathers aren't that expensive to simply replace, I just don't like the stink you get at a stop, my wife already complains about the smell of my car even with the high flow cats smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post

maybe if you never clean under the hood......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Plus this mod is emissions illegal. EPA says no to venting crankcase to the atmosphere. It would not pass my state's yearly visual exam, let alone an engine compartment covered in an oil mist mess. Catch can for mine.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Plus this mod is emissions illegal. EPA says no to venting crankcase to the atmosphere. It would not pass my state's yearly visual exam, let alone an engine compartment covered in an oil mist mess. Catch can for mine.
Omg.......it's illegal? ??????????

Who gives a F. And you won't have a oil mist under your hood. Talk to people who run them.
I had them on my stock motor and I have them on my built motor

Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It takes two seconds to remove the breathers for emissions. Honestly to much is made of it. There's no catch can out there that will work as good as the filters.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
So question. Do I need a passenger side or driver side catch can. I am
Also vmp supercharged if that matters for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Pros and cons of breathers? Is a pcv system helpful in removing moisture and contaminants? Can breathers trap moisture and contaminants? Is the pcv system better for dd cars vs drag/race cars? Just curious on what you guys know for fact.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Omg.......it's illegal? ??????????

Who gives a F. And you won't have a oil mist under your hood. Talk to people who run them.
I had them on my stock motor and I have them on my built motor

He made a good point - it is emissions illegal and may cause someone to fail inspection. You also made a good point you can swap out the stock setup to pass inspection. But first people need to know the risk & know that they need to save the stock parts - then have them on hand for inspection time. Not knowing could cost us a few bucks to buy replacement parts.

So people who are subject to emissions inspections - we care.
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Breather install with a few pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post

lol well yeah, off road pipes are illegal too and how many tens of thousands of people are running them? they are much more harmful to the environment than open breathers

Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
lol well yeah, off road pipes are illegal too and how many tens of thousands of people are running them? they are much more harmful to the environment than open breathers

Arguing the point of legality by pointing out another gross offender still doesn't make it right. Railing on a guy because he chose the legal alternative is no different than me saying people that run breathers and off road equipment are part of a large scale problem of emissions.

Legal or not can breathers have a negative effect inside the engine? Plenty of brolore that goes around on this topic just looking for someone that has the facts.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I think his post was pointing out the legality of the situation. Believe it or not, but many people don't want to violate the law. Or in my case we also can't get away with it easily.

When we do emissions testing they can catch it, fail your car and you can't license your car. <-- LFMF. Cost me ~$500 to get my exhaust legal on my first Mustang.

Unfortunately, in many places we can't get away with these mods due to inspections and emissions testing.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well I don't know how the "oil mist" is yet because my car is down right now but im going to trust that Rapinator and Grabberblue5.0 would not jump on here and say they don't have a problem with "oil mist" just to lie. If one does have a problem with "oil mist" then I would say it can also be the breather quality. Ive have breathers on my 66 and 67 mustang with no issue.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Makes me wonder if no visible oil makes it past the breather then possibly it traps moisture and contaminants. Don't know just a thought.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

After a breather becomes saturated with oil then I would think it becomes even harder for blow by to make it out of the engine.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

They don't get saturated with oil. I clean mine every 3,000 miles and they are not verry oily at all

Old 01-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You would think they would. Coyote must not make much crankcase pressure. Makes me wonder if the pcv creates the problem and catch can results are from just the vacuum pull.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They don't get saturated with oil. I clean mine every 3,000 miles and they are not verry oily at all

This^^^^ mine have been on for 6 months with no issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
My biggest concern would be with counterfits of china parts from ebay. China parts are one thing, but now you are dealing with counterfits of them. Having worked with electronic parts from china suppliers for 14 years; I would be afraid of one of these having loose items get droped in the crankcase at some point.

But it seems pretty simple, plastic and paper wrapped in a thin metal, what could go wrong?

I remember some old school push rod racers would wrap their breather in a red shop rag and cord tie them on for track use.. (zip ties were not common items back then)

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's ironic. Chinese knock off's of Chinese made product. 15 years ago I would have laughed at such an outrageous idea, but now... it's happening.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I took the car out last night and started to smell oil. I'm not going to like that. I'll give it a few more outings and if nothing changes I'll go catch can. I seen there is a new one out designed much better.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
I took the car out last night and started to smell oil. I'm not going to like that. I'll give it a few more outings and if nothing changes I'll go catch can. I seen there is a new one out designed much better.

yup, main reason I run my Bob's catch can

Old 01-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Guys as a newbe... What are the pros and cons of installing a catch up can ?

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420926827.196973.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	173291

Airaid Bama tune
Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcauchon View Post
Guys as a newbe... What are the pros and cons of installing a catch up can ?
There are lots of threads on this mod. There are 2 threads just on the first page of this fourm.
Im not going to count out the breathers just yet but I turned my heater on last night and it was very noticable. Might take the car out on my days off and see if it keeps doing it. If so no harm done because it was less then 20$ to try it and I can say been there done that and lesson learned.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Some 5.0s have more blow by than other coyote motors. There are some of our motors that use considerable more oil between changes than others. Those motors would really stink blowing their mist out thru a breather. The only negative thing about a catch can is the fact that Ford, and other manufactures, save a few bucks and don't design them in from the factory.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I just bought the UPR catch can from Joe. The breathers are a easy install but for me the smell of oil was not worth it to me. I smelt oil when I turned my heater on and after parking in the garage. It was worth a try and no harm done. I will post a UPR install and review when I get it.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Only con installing a catch can is having to empty it and it is possible to develop a vacuum leak depending on can design. Also, depending on how good the can filters you can still have some oil make it by the can. UPR has one of the best designs I have seen to date. Their new 4 stage can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT