2014 GT Automatic Ring & Pinion Gear Ratio Choice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
2014 GT Automatic Ring & Pinion Gear Ratio Choice

Guys,

I have read through as many threads as I can locate and still left with questions. I have a 2014 GT Automatic which is my DD. It has several mild mods such as CAI, full suspension, BAMA 91 street tune, 20" rims w/ 35s, etc.

I looked at 3.31, 3.55, and 3.73s and am leaning heavily toward installing 3.55 gears in my car. I have run the numbers and it appears this provides me a first gear that resembles 4.10s in a manual while also being relatively close to 3.73 numbers for all other gears in a manual. See the attachment for my comparison with both 35 and 40 series tires. I did this as I will probably move to 40s my next set.

Before making a mistake I would like your opinions. Also, note I do not intend to track my car, I just want more grunt when driving around, but also do not want to rev too high while driving on the highway (which I do with some frequency).
Sterling_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The gears will not make your car any faster. It will just be shifting quicker. Stick with the 3.15's and look to spend your money more wisely. Take it from someone with experience.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You can run low to mid 12's on a tune only car with stock gearing/tires etc. As stated leave it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey Sterling - Good question and I'll cut right to the chase on this. If you're looking for more grunt around town I would say skip the 55's and shoot right for the Ford Racing 4.10's - I'm recommending this because they're going to give you and the car a massive night and day difference. Furthermore if you're not looking to track the car and just want "More Grunt when driving around" they'll definitely deliver the grunt.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm always around to help.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Sterling - Good question and I'll cut right to the chase on this. If you're looking for more grunt around town I would say skip the 55's and shoot right for the Ford Racing 4.10's - I'm recommending this because they're going to give you and the car a massive night and day difference. Furthermore if you're not looking to track the car and just want "More Grunt when driving around" they'll definitely deliver the grunt.

Alex
4.10 in an auto car? Grabber has it right leave what you have and look at getting a new convertor or more power mods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post

Alex
Going to be blunt here... 4.10's in a current generation automatic would be stupid.

MAYBE go up an notch or 2 from stock 3.15, though as others have said... a convertor would be better for automatics than gears.

And anything over a 3.55 would make the car slower b/c it would be switching gears too often.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You don't need any gearing changes for the automatic, you just need a converter to get the car to launch at the drag strip, though gas mileage will suffer a little. First gear on the automatic is already like 1st behind an MT82 Manual with 3.73 gears.

Watch all the YouTube videos with automatics running stock gears hitting 10's and 11's if you don't believe our words.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

Guys,

I really appreciate all the feedback. As stated in my original post I am not planning on traking my car. The tought of a stall converter does not really appeal to me as I can only imagine it would not be as enjoyable as a DD. Again, if someone has firsthand experience different than this please elaborate.

This thread just confirms my previous perceptions that there is a divide between the masses on a gear swap for the automatic. Unless someone has first hand exeperience that installing lower gears than the stock 3.15s provided what I am looking for I will likely keep what I have (stock 3.15s).

Again, everyone I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I speak of first hand experience. What do you mean by devide on this subject? Everyone here is telling you the gears won't help any. At least the guys that aren't looking to sell you unnecessary parts that is. There is nothing wrong with a converter for a daily driver. Other than less gas mileage which will be much worse with gears.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I speak of first hand experience. What do you mean by devide on this subject? Everyone here is telling you the gears won't help any. At least the guys that aren't looking to sell you unnecessary parts that is. There is nothing wrong with a converter for a daily driver. Other than less gas mileage which will be much worse with gears.
I am refering to the fact that not everyone is in agreement with leaving the stock 3.15 gear (regardless of who they represent or what their motives are). I appreciate everyone's feedback and especially those with firsthand experience. That being said would you mind terribly expanding on how the stall converter changed the way your car drove as a DD. I am open minded about this subject and would like to hear more details about your experience.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The only time I would recommend a gear to someone would be if they were trying to max out everything with a 3.31 gear. Any more gear will result in zero gains on the track or on the street. If you do the math using the gearing in the transmission you have essentially a 3.60 gear depending on tire size.

My car is not a DD but if it were the converter would be my first mod still. The car will feel like you added a blower when you mash the gas. And unlike gears the gains will be legit. You will never know the converter is there unless you're driving up car ramps or something of that nature.

And other than one vendor it would seem everyone is in agreement that the gears are a waste.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Stang View Post
Also, note I do not intend to track my car, I just want more grunt when driving around, but also do not want to rev too high while driving on the highway (which I do with some frequency).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
4.10 in an auto car? Grabber has it right leave what you have and look at getting a new convertor or more power mods.
Jay - Just trying to help the OP here as he said he wasn't going to be tracking the car - Yeah I'll eat my comment about the 4.10's and they will chew up fuel on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Going to be blunt here... 4.10's in a current generation automatic would be stupid.

MAYBE go up an notch or 2 from stock 3.15, though as others have said... a convertor would be better for automatics than gears.

And anything over a 3.55 would make the car slower b/c it would be switching gears too often.
Again - I was just making a recommendation here guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
You don't need any gearing changes for the automatic, you just need a converter to get the car to launch at the drag strip, though gas mileage will suffer a little. First gear on the automatic is already like 1st behind an MT82 Manual with 3.73 gears.

Watch all the YouTube videos with automatics running stock gears hitting 10's and 11's if you don't believe our words.
Again - OP stated he had no intention of tracking the car.

Quote:
Guys,

I really appreciate all the feedback. As stated in my original post I am not planning on traking my car. The tought of a stall converter does not really appeal to me as I can only imagine it would not be as enjoyable as a DD. Again, if someone has firsthand experience different than this please elaborate.

This thread just confirms my previous perceptions that there is a divide between the masses on a gear swap for the automatic. Unless someone has first hand exeperience that installing lower gears than the stock 3.15s provided what I am looking for I will likely keep what I have (stock 3.15s).

Again, everyone I really appreciate the feedback.
Quote:
Quote:
The only time I would recommend a gear to someone would be if they were trying to max out everything with a 3.31 gear. Any more gear will result in zero gains on the track or on the street. If you do the math using the gearing in the transmission you have essentially a 3.60 gear depending on tire size.

My car is not a DD but if it were the converter would be my first mod still. The car will feel like you added a blower when you mash the gas. And unlike gears the gains will be legit. You will never know the converter is there unless you're driving up car ramps or something of that nature.

And other than one vendor it would seem everyone is in agreement that the gears are a waste.
Thanks for clearing this op for the OP, Grabber.

Quote:
Also, note I do not intend to track my car, I just want more grunt when driving around, but also do not want to rev too high while driving on the highway (which I do with some frequency).
Again - That's my fault and I'll take responsibility for this but for what it's worth I think a 3.73 would give you the "grunt" that you're looking for around town or take a look into a converter as it's been said.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #13

Sorry to be so late to the party here, new guy here. I'm in the same boat as the fella from the original post. You have all convinced me to leave the 3:15 (YY) gears alone. Now as for the higher stall converter, who makes it? Where can I find one for the 6R80? Stall RPM recommendations? I will never race the car, just looking for that same GRUNT that was described here.

John
johnboy151a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I put 3.55s in my 3.7 made a big differance in take off but i had 2.73s in mine.I did like them but with that being said i would stick with your 3.15s if you don't plan on tracking or racing it because your going to be spending big bucks to install also if you decide to get sell your car you would have to put the stock gears back in or give the tuner to the dealer or next owner..I just traded in my 3.7 for a 5.0 and put my stock gears back in before i traded it in cost me 350 it reinstall them so all in all i spent close to a grand for them for really nothing as i like you never raced it. ... Keep your 3.15s and enjoy your 5.0
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy151a View Post
Sorry to be so late to the party here, new guy here. I'm in the same boat as the fella from the original post. You have all convinced me to leave the 3:15 (YY) gears alone. Now as for the higher stall converter, who makes it? Where can I find one for the 6R80? Stall RPM recommendations? I will never race the car, just looking for that same GRUNT that was described here.

John
Circle D has what you're looking for. I'd recommend either a 3C or 4C for you.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Thanks for the response sir. I did find circle D. OK.... Next dumb question, What will a Converter like feel like as I start to pill a slight hill at highway speeds? It's been so many years since I played with cars and I'm trying to catch up. The last time I played with cars, EEC IV was all the rage.

John
Old 12-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

Grabber Blue, Do you mind if I send you a PM? No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel with all my questions here.

John
Old 12-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sure, PM me.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
I put 3.55s in my 3.7 made a big differance in take off but i had 2.73s in mine.I did like them but with that being said i would stick with your 3.15s if you don't plan on tracking or racing it because your going to be spending big bucks to install also if you decide to get sell your car you would have to put the stock gears back in or give the tuner to the dealer or next owner..I just traded in my 3.7 for a 5.0 and put my stock gears back in before i traded it in cost me 350 it reinstall them so all in all i spent close to a grand for them for really nothing as i like you never raced it. ... Keep your 3.15s and enjoy your 5.0
The v6 needed more gear, 2.73s are a joke and make it feel anemic. The v8 comes with 3.15s which are nearly perfect for the gearing of the transmission and the power of the engine. Sometimes drag racers will swap to 3.31s to finish at just the right rpm, but other than that it is not worth switching.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT