Exhaust Setup Options: Which route make the most sense? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Exhaust Setup Options: Which route make the most sense?

Hey guys, I have a 2014 5.0 and it is my daily driver. I've done some appearance mods and added the Flowmaster Outlaw axel-backs along with the Steeda CAI & Tune combo to my car so it sounds satisfactory right now but I want more. I'm having trouble determining which route to go with my exhaust though. I am thinking of getting either the BBK LT headers with the shorty x pipe or getting the BBK shorty headers with the cat delete pips with the after cat x pipe. They both are about the same price altogether but I'm not sure whether or not there is something I'm not thinking of here that should be a factor. So thats where I need some assistance.

So I know the long tubes give more hp and better flow then to the x pipe with its benefits and yah I get that, but does that really hold a significant advantage over a setup with shorties plus cat delete pipes? I get that all the exhaust flows through the LT's and combines right at the X for a more intense reaction to flow through the pipes, but wouldn't that be matched if not offset by all the exhaust channels in a shorty header meeting together at the cat delete pipe, gaining momentum and then flowing into the x pipe to meet? I guess I'm just trying to determine why there is really a difference in performance between those two concepts to make a decision.

Also, I'm somewhat concerned with going for the long tubes because of complaints of rattling as well as clearance issues to the ground(because I live in Oklahoma where the roads look like sh*t). Also, I know they increase the high end hp and slightly decrease in low end torque. Being a daily driver, the number of times I'm hitting that high end power band is limited but the need for low end torque is high. So thats what has me considering the shorty headers, cat delete and xpipe. Yeah, Its going to be loud as sh*t but I'm hoping to get a little boost from swapping my factory setup for that and eventually hook up the boss 302 intake manifold with a 90mm throttle body.

Can anyone give me some opinions, concerns, suggestions or anything regarding these questions I have? You guys are my go to on this sort of stuff.

ps- or should I just forget all that, get the boss manifold and cat deletes? lol so indecisive.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2014 5.0 and it is my daily driver. I've done some appearance mods and added the Flowmaster Outlaw axel-backs along with the Steeda CAI & Tune combo to my car so it sounds satisfactory right now but I want more. I'm having trouble determining which route to go with my exhaust though. I am thinking of getting either the BBK LT headers with the shorty x pipe or getting the BBK shorty headers with the cat delete pips with the after cat x pipe. They both are about the same price altogether but I'm not sure whether or not there is something I'm not thinking of here that should be a factor. So thats where I need some assistance.

So I know the long tubes give more hp and better flow then to the x pipe with its benefits and yah I get that, but does that really hold a significant advantage over a setup with shorties plus cat delete pipes? I get that all the exhaust flows through the LT's and combines right at the X for a more intense reaction to flow through the pipes, but wouldn't that be matched if not offset by all the exhaust channels in a shorty header meeting together at the cat delete pipe, gaining momentum and then flowing into the x pipe to meet? I guess I'm just trying to determine why there is really a difference in performance between those two concepts to make a decision.

Also, I'm somewhat concerned with going for the long tubes because of complaints of rattling as well as clearance issues to the ground(because I live in Oklahoma where the roads look like sh*t). Also, I know they increase the high end hp and slightly decrease in low end torque. Being a daily driver, the number of times I'm hitting that high end power band is limited but the need for low end torque is high. So thats what has me considering the shorty headers, cat delete and xpipe. Yeah, Its going to be loud as sh*t but I'm hoping to get a little boost from swapping my factory setup for that and eventually hook up the boss 302 intake manifold with a 90mm throttle body.

Can anyone give me some opinions, concerns, suggestions or anything regarding these questions I have? You guys are my go to on this sort of stuff.

ps- or should I just forget all that, get the boss manifold and cat deletes? lol so indecisive.
It will be way too loud with outlaws basically any route you take

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That was way to much to read. So for what I skimmed through.

No need for a 90mm throttle body on the boss manifold unless you port the manifold. As the opening is only 85mm.

If you are worried about clearence problems with longtubes, go with kooks as they are a mid length header. They will not hang down as far as others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So if I missed something ask and I will tell you. Bc that was a lot to read made my eyes hurt.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

And buy new mufflers unless you want the dead to rise

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
So if I missed something ask and I will tell you. Bc that was a lot to read made my eyes hurt.

Apologies for the lengthy post, I get caught up and try to get as detailed and descriptive as possible to a fault some times.

I appreciate the insight on the TB sizing, thats valuable information for my future mod plan with the boss intake, thank you.

Mainly, my concern/question is would there be a noticeable difference between the LT headers+ O/R x pipe VS Shorty headers+cat delete pipe+x pipe, in performance, sound, gains, durability, etc., over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
And buy new mufflers unless you want the dead to rise

Haha, yeah I was kind of thinking the same exact thing. I'm considering switching to a bit milder alternative to offset that midpipe/header volume. I've been wanting to switch to the quad tip gt500 style a lot lately anyways...only problem is I just installed the boss 302 diffuser like 2 months ago so I'll have to get the shelby one and then try to sell this with the outlaws so thats just more barely used parts people never want to buy. fml
Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Apologies for the lengthy post, I get caught up and try to get as detailed and descriptive as possible to a fault some times.

I appreciate the insight on the TB sizing, thats valuable information for my future mod plan with the boss intake, thank you.

Mainly, my concern/question is would there be a noticeable difference between the LT headers+ O/R x pipe VS Shorty headers+cat delete pipe+x pipe, in performance, sound, gains, durability, etc., over time?

Haha, yeah I was kind of thinking the same exact thing. I'm considering switching to a bit milder alternative to offset that midpipe/header volume. I've been wanting to switch to the quad tip gt500 style a lot lately anyways...only problem is I just installed the boss 302 diffuser like 2 months ago so I'll have to get the shelby one and then try to sell this with the outlaws so thats just more barely used parts people never want to buy. fml
I just had to order new mufflers to pair with my long tubes that are in the garage so I am right there with the outlaws. The gt500s would sound killer with long tubes and an off road h. I would suggest getting long tubes on a v8

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Shorties are pretty much a waste on this car, as the stock "manifolds" are more of a tri-y style header.
Sure a pair of shorties will gain you a little as the primaries will be larger, but a header swap is a header swap, so if you are going through the trouble of doing it or paying someone to do it. Best bet is go with the longtubes.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Alright guys thanks for the great information! Another question though, I know ceramic is preferred and thats probably the route I take...but is there any real difference in sound, performance, etc., between the chrome and ceramic? Or is it just basically the chrome are going to discolor quickly and the ceramic coated will keep their shiny appearance? I read the little AM guide but I was hoping for some 1st hand experience reviews.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Ceramic will stay cooler which may help performance, I don't have any experience yet so Rap can probably help

Old 01-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys, so I know this isn't what would be considered ideal but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on some used BBK LT headers, they are chrome so there is bit of peeling. So that's where I'm at now.

Should I see if I can get them ceramic coated, should I just spray them down with heat resistant paint, should I wrap them or should I just leave them how they are because none of that will really effect anything? I know that I'm eventually going to change up the exhaust at some point but not anytime soon so I need some advice.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Not to put a wet blanket on you chrome peeling headers, but you really need to get the chrome off, especially if it is peeling. Once you do that the best would be to have them ceramic coated.
If you paint VHT over the chrome it isn't going to adhere very well, even if you sand/scuff it up and it will burn off and look like &hit.
If you wrap the headers with header wrap they will rust under the wrap, and they will do this fairly quickly......I've tried this....
and it helps seal the moisture in and will attack the chrome faster.
Personally for the amount of work you are going to do installing them I wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon.........just bite the bullet and have the chrome taken off and have them ceramic coated................if you don't want to spend the money just leave them the way they are and put them in.........IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust