14 Coyote Shortys or Longtubes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: longtubes or shortys
longtubes 11 84.62%
shortys 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
14 Coyote Shortys or Longtubes

I was looking at buying some headers but I do not know what to go with what do you guys thinks shortys or longtubes and also what are the pros and cons of each one thank you
Fiveohchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
From what I read it looks like the long tubes are a biotch to install compared to shortys.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Power comes from long tubes I believe.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bmr14 View Post
From what I read it looks like the long tubes are a biotch to install compared to shortys.
They both are. If you are going to install headers make them long tubes.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveohchris View Post
I was looking at buying some headers but I do not know what to go with what do you guys thinks shortys or longtubes and also what are the pros and cons of each one thank you
Short tubes: cheaper since they bolt to the existing exhaust system; preferred for turbo applications due to length; may deliver better low end torque vs the stock exhaust manifolds.

Long tubes: greatest performance gains, especially at higher rpms; more expensive since you have to add new intermediate pipes; possible clearance issues, especially if you are lowered.

Most agree that all headers are a PITA to install so you probably want to do your research and do this once. There's quite a few brands to choose from but as a general rule, you get what you pay for. Things to look for are how well they fit, how well they hold up over time etc.

For me there weren't a lot of choices since I have the Boss 302 exhaust and wanted to keep the side pipes. As far as I know, there are only two header manufacturers that offer Boss H-pipes; Kooks and Dynatech. I was leaning toward the latter since they are cheaper but got a super deal on a full Kooks system so sold my FRPP parts instead. The only thing missing are the Kooks sidepipes which should be here next week.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bmr14 View Post

long tubes are no more a pain to install than shorties, and shorties will not make any more power over stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The car comes stock with 409 SS tubular, tuned, shorty headers. If your going to spend the money long tube all the way.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Long tubes loose power on low end torque, they add power up top on high rpm tunes. Unless your drag racing and want lower your ET, I think you should look at spending money elsewhere. Just my opinion, engine comes stock already with shortie headers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Read the back pressure thread, guy put all exhaust setup with long tubes and wondered why he lost power on the street.

Sent from my DROID4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Long tubes loose power on low end torque, they add power up top on high rpm tunes.
Wrong. Longtubes will see gains thruout the power band. Especially in the mid range.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
Short tubes: cheaper since they bolt to the existing exhaust system; preferred for turbo applications due to length; may deliver better low end torque vs the stock exhaust manifolds.

Long tubes: greatest performance gains, especially at higher rpms; more expensive since you have to add new intermediate pipes; possible clearance issues, especially if you are lowered.

Most agree that all headers are a PITA to install so you probably want to do your research and do this once. There's quite a few brands to choose from but as a general rule, you get what you pay for. Things to look for are how well they fit, how well they hold up over time etc.

For me there weren't a lot of choices since I have the Boss 302 exhaust and wanted to keep the side pipes. As far as I know, there are only two header manufacturers that offer Boss H-pipes; Kooks and Dynatech. I was leaning toward the latter since they are cheaper but got a super deal on a full Kooks system so sold my FRPP parts instead. The only thing missing are the Kooks sidepipes which should be here next week.

Thats a great looking exhaust, money well spent
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post

Flowmaster makes a great exhaust for the Boss 302 while retaining the side exhaust. I put them on my 2012 Boss and loved the sound. I also did a Dyno run and gained quite a bit of power along with a JLT CAI
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Thats a great looking exhaust, money well spent
Thanks, it wasn't cheap but you wouldn't believe how little I have in the entire setup after selling my old exhaust kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 1 View Post
Flowmaster makes a great exhaust for the Boss 302 while retaining the side exhaust. I put them on my 2012 Boss and loved the sound. I also did a Dyno run and gained quite a bit of power along with a JLT CAI
Lol that doesn't even count since Flowmaster doesn't make long tubes for the 2011-14 GT or Boss. They make shortys but either way you're still stuck bolting up to the intermediate factory cats so performance gains are negligible vs longer tubes.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
So if I'm a daily driver and I go ahead and spring for the long tubes even though the majority of my ride is stop and go at street lights with the daily commute 30 minutes @ 75mph speed limit highway drive then would I be better served by the long tubes if I were to change the gears to take more advantage of the high rpm gains? I'm currently running 3.55 I believe. I just don't want to lose my get up and go power to sacrifice for that high end power I don't utilize.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You will not lose any power with longtubes.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hi GB5.0, I respect your knowledge and the fact you have supporting mods and Dyno runs. However this guy I copy below did lose power according to his post; not sure about his statement on back-pressure however and he has not yet answer my questions I had for him.

In my experience from pushrod motors, long tubes and high rpm intake manifolds, and Cams went hand in hand with High RPM stall converters to keep autos from boggin' out down low. In today's TiVct I think if you put in a Cobra Jet intake, Throttle-body, tune, and long tubes with supporting full exhaust; you will raise up your power curve in the power band and increase total HPR at a higher RPM. However it would drop low end torque curve down low.. This raises launch rpm for a manual and recommends a stall converter for an auto. This is generally established Rot Hod advise from what I have read and seen on the street in the 70s--80s and again today.

Myths about "back-pressure"
Quote:
Hello and REALLY interesting notes about back pressure! Here my problem i changed my all exhaust Long tube off road and roush ! ( sound amazing for a Mustang 2012 V6 )I have a CAI and bama tune 93. Ok my point is a lost power and back pressure of course. what you suggest for re-gain back pressure? Thank you always
Old 01-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi GB5.0, I respect your knowledge and the fact you have supporting mods and Dyno runs. However this guy I copy below did lose power according to his post; not sure about his statement on back-pressure however and he has not yet answer my questions I had for him.

In my experience from pushrod motors, long tubes and high rpm intake manifolds, and Cams went hand in hand with High RPM stall converters to keep autos from boggin' out down low. In today's TiVct I think if you put in a Cobra Jet intake, Throttle-body, tune, and long tubes with supporting full exhaust; you will raise up your power curve in the power band and increase total HPR at a higher RPM. However it would drop low end torque curve down low.. This raises launch rpm for a manual and recommends a stall converter for an auto. This is generally established Rot Hod advise from what I have read and seen on the street in the 70s--80s and again today.

Myths about "back-pressure"
Two problems with your post. One is you're talking about a V6 and this is the Coyote section so it's not an apples to apples comparison. And second is he has a tune from Bama where they do not know enough about the changes required with the cam timing that need to be done. There's a reason while all the fastest N/A Coyotes are running longtubes. You cannot apply 70's and 80's technology to today. Times have changed.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 1 View Post
How much power. Dyno pics please...
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't know how anyone could call those stock exhaust manifolds headers. Ford has had some factory headers and they looked and worked like just like aftermarket headers. I would go with shorty headers since they are real headers that give you a nice boost in low end power. If you live at the dragstrip then go with the long tubes, if you run on the street mostly go with the short tubes. The only difference with be top end of the rpm range with long tubes.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Two problems with your post. One is you're talking about a V6 and this is the Coyote section so it's not an apples to apples comparison. And second is he has a tune from Bama where they do not know enough about the changes required with the cam timing that need to be done. There's a reason while all the fastest N/A Coyotes are running longtubes. You cannot apply 70's and 80's technology to today. Times have changed.
Fair enough, what is your take on the back pressure thread? Art
Old 01-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fair enough, what is your take on the back pressure thread? Art
While there certainly is some validity to it it's not a one size fits all situation. And it's still sounds to a little old school in it's thinking. With modern engines and their design things that applied years ago do not apply now.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
While there certainly is some validity to it it's not a one size fits all situation. And it's still sounds to a little old school in it's thinking. With modern engines and their design things that applied years ago do not apply now.
Ok, I can toss a nod to that; but it seems fitting that you have all the same old school mods needed for proper use your high flowing intake manifold, the large diameter and long tube exhaust, including the stall converter on the auto. Is there a reason you didn't go with the CobraJet intake Manifold and throttle body?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there a reason you didn't go with the CobraJet intake Manifold and throttle body?
When I see that setup run faster than a Boss Intake setup I'll switch. But so far all the results I've seen haven't impressed me. And it's over $1000 more for it.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The cobra jet is worth 10-12 hp on a legit dyno, over the boss.
You will never feel 10 - 12 hp. It looks good on a dyno sheet though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Rap & Grab, good info to know. Art
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

For those that are into dyno numbers here's a couple of graphs in this thread showing gains with longtubes thruout the rpm's. No losses at any rpm.
Before and after American racing 1 7/8 headers
Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For those that are into dyno numbers here's a couple of graphs in this thread showing gains with longtubes thruout the rpm's. No losses at any rpm.
Thanks GB for posting the link. This is consistent with the dyno graphs I have seen before and after installation of long tube headers and all show the same thing; no loss of torque regardless of the RPM range. I took off my Boss 302 exhaust and put the stock parts back on. Hopefully I can get a good dyno run before I put my new system on in the spring. I'm confident it will show similar results.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well damn the Torpedoes, that TRQ did lift across the board. His tuner friend must know what he is doing, and the TiVCT must be the magic to do it with the right Wizard behind it. Most Pushrod motors wont do that, I am not sure most SOHC motors will either, keeping the heads stock.

Must change my stance on that now, thanks GB>
Art
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I made 380 whp stock, and 445 with a CJ set up, catless H-pipe and Kooks shorty headers ... For those saying shortys are no better than stock, I have a hard time seeing that power being made on stock headers Na. I do not deny that the long tubes would likely have made more power, but i wanted an H-pipe and didnt like the LT offerings with H-pipes. The shortys are also worth a healthy (and noticeable) dose of torque around town, its awesome. I have no experience with long tubes however, they may give great torque gains too.

To recap-
My shortys were cheaper
worked with my existing exhaust
made great power
sound ****ing wicked

I am happy, though i do not deny the potential of Longtubes, they just werent for me. It was the difference between Good and Good enough as far as i was concerned.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Anyone have an idea of a fair estimate to install Long Tube headers with an x pipe?
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #31

What about the sound changes? Every video I've seen with long tubes have been insanely loud.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dave07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave07 View Post
What about the sound changes? Every video I've seen with long tubes have been insanely loud.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That is more to do with midpipe and axle back. Some say long tubes will quiet the whole system down a tad.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Whitemach on svtperf forum just ran a 9.8 @ 138mph through the stock headers with just a offroad X and gt500 mufflers on a VMP TVS. Stock auto, gears and stock converter. He even had the crushed factory resonators and OAP's. Aftermarket headers really needed to go fast... Lol.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

The stock manifolds will flow more than you think. I made 700+ through them.

And people with big singles are making 900-1,000+ through them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT