Intake problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Intake problems

Ok guys I need some help let me explain what happened and maybe you guys can help me figure something out:

1: girlfriend got me an AirAid intake that I installed two days ago. I removed the modular insert and had a new tune done by Lund. (Ps I've had a Lund tune since a month after I got the car and it's been running perfect). The car ran like a champ the rest of the day and the beginning of yesterday.

2: I had to get gas so I filled up with 93 as I always do. Went to a store with the gf and came out and the car started but stalled right away. Wouldn't start for anything that I tried. I tried re-tuning the car and finally got it to run but it ran like crap. I decided to buy and octane boost and seafoam just in case it was bad gas for some reason.

3: it kept stalling randomly on me that night. So I reinstalled the modular tube which supposedly does not require a tune. Tied loading the stock tune and kept running like crap!! I have installed the original Lund tune and it seems to run but not 100%.

I have a 14 gt automatic. The only thing I had was gt500 axle back and now the AirAid intake. I'm debating on whether I should go back to factory and not bother or have my local shop install the JLT with the larger tube and have Lund tune it again? Any help would be awesome!!

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
mav351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Tunes just don't go bad. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere and it's probably the Airaid Intake. Any CEL? Scan it anyways to see if there are any codes.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It put a wrench on the dash but the tuner said there were no codes. It's almost as if it was missing or something. But it also ran perfect for a day after I installed it. I checked everything and it's buttoned up tight

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Switch back to the stock intake and the original Lund tune. Then you'll know if it's the intake causing the issue.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Would you recommend going with the JLT that the shop recommended bc they said it was better. They explained the tube was 109mm and would bring more air in and make a bigger difference.

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
Old 01-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Intake problems

Old 01-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Seafoam or other additives won't fix bad gas, which is what I think you have here.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav351w View Post
Would you recommend going with the JLT that the shop recommended bc they said it was better. They explained the tube was 109mm and would bring more air in and make a bigger difference.
No, switching to the JLT is not the solution and is no better than the Airaid. The best intake is the one that came on your car from the factory.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
check and make sure either end of your intake tube isn't lose(where the filter is placed and where the tube connects to the throttle body). same type of thing happened to me and i thought it was my tune. turned out my intake tube came loose where it connects to my throttle body towards the bottom so under just a visual inspection you wouldn't notice it. but once i grabbed it i felt how loose it was and noticed the gap that was made by my intake tube almost falling off.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So I took off the AirAid intake and water dumped out. So apparently somewhere through the filter water came in and was on the mass air flow sensor. So lesson learned and it could have been really bad!!

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
Old 01-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Do u have heat extractor vents on your hood

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. I ordered the heat shield but it's only been a day and I can't have it doing that.

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
Old 01-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. I know that people have complained about water getting in before. It's only been a day and I live in south Florida so I guess it's not a good idea for me to have this thing. AirAid said they'd send me a weather shield free but I'm not risking it for something that doesn't effect the hp or anything very much

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
Old 01-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
The weather shield should work like an outerwear for the filter is what these things need.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Dude get the AEM intake. This is why. It is sealed just like your OEM unit, It uses an oil free K&N filter so never buy a filter again, It looks great under the hood. So if you want something for looks then AEM will get you what you want with out heat shealds and messing with water in the intake ever again.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Dude get the AEM intake. This is why. It is sealed just like your OEM unit, It uses an oil free K&N filter so never buy a filter again, It looks great under the hood. So if you want something for looks then AEM will get you what you want with out heat shealds and messing with water in the intake ever again.

This is why I bought the AEM one, no possibility of water getting in due to the closed air box design.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
This is why I bought the AEM one, no possibility of water getting in due to the closed air box design.
In my opinion this closed style aftermarket (AEM) CAI is better then the OEM just for the looks and reusable filter option. Also it seems as if it would flow a hair better due to the smooth inner pipe profile & larger pipe profile. I can see 1 down side and that's the metal inlet pipe material and its heat soaking characteristics over plastic. To argue that it gave me more HP over stock ummmmmm it might have but that's not the topic. Im not sure if there are other sealed aftermarket units out there but this AEM is the best because its the closest to OEM yet better lol. Now if I can just get AEM to read this and get a free sponsorship out of the deal that would be sweeeeet!!!!
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Intake problems

Quote:
In my opinion this closed style aftermarket (AEM) CAI is better then the OEM just for the looks and reusable filter option. Also it seems as if it would flow a hair better due to the smooth inner pipe profile & larger pipe profile. I can see 1 down side and that's the metal inlet pipe material and its heat soaking characteristics over plastic. To argue that it gave me more HP over stock ummmmmm it might have but that's not the topic. Im not sure if there are other sealed aftermarket units out there but this AEM is the best because its the closest to OEM yet better lol. Now if I can just get AEM to read this and get a free sponsorship out of the deal that would be sweeeeet!!!!

I agree and feel that I have a bit better throttle response and it does make the engine note a bit better as well (it's hard to hear over Roush axle back honestly) not only that but it makes a sort of a whistle sound at higher rpms. Maybe a couple more hp but like we've said that's not the topic

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 01-01-2015, 11:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I would call the company that makes that pos and tell them to refund your money. They sell this application with no warning or reversion when they know damn well its a problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav351w View Post
So I took off the AirAid intake and water dumped out. So apparently somewhere through the filter water came in and was on the mass air flow sensor. So lesson learned and it could have been really bad!!

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune

I've run the AirAid for over two and a half years now thru heavy *** rain that soaked the filter most likely. Not a single problem... I'm talking about raindrops as large as marbles.

This is strange. But at least you didn't get water locked and your engine didn't seize. AEM does have a completely encase CAI but for your mods it's useless. Money better spent on other stuff. Good luck

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for all your help. I put the factory back on and the girlfriend is very upset about it so she's going to call and give them hell about the gift she gave me haha. I think I'll just stick to the stock, it's running like a champ so I'm happy.

14' GT Premium
GT500 axle back
AirAid CAI
Lund 93 octane tune
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I had a damn cobra jet 5" intake with a filter that dwarfs the Air raid one and never had this kind of issue on my '13... i have heard of people saying they've had this problem, so i'm not denying it, but it just blows my mind ... what the hell kind of rain storms are yall driving through lol. Theres even rain guards below the vents if you look, theres only a tiny slit that lets air out / could let water in. People act like its the same as placing a giant gaping hole in your hood, but its really not. There's got to be something else at play, because SEVERAL people run those air raid intakes without issue.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I've run the AirAid for over two and a half years now thru heavy *** rain that soaked the filter most likely. Not a single problem... I'm talking about raindrops as large as marbles.

This is strange. But at least you didn't get water locked and your engine didn't seize. AEM does have a completely encase CAI but for your mods it's useless. Money better spent on other stuff. Good luck

Yes you're right about the AEM but for anyone who isn't looking for a tune or anything more than that the AEM unit is perfect

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If the factory is the "best" intake to stick with then why would one say "with your mods AEM is useless"? There has been 100+ threads on CAI's with guys who make a lot of power or full bolt on with the factory intake. So tell me why the AEM isn't something he wants with his mods. Dudes are tuning there cars with a factory unit and the same goes with the AEM.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Factory intake should be good up until you get into SC or FI. The AEM unit is great for looks, I keep talking myself out of it each time so far. Need a CCD CJ style shaker scoop instead and it uses the Factory box only.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If the factory is the "best" intake to stick with then why would one say "with your mods AEM is useless"? There has been 100+ threads on CAI's with guys who make a lot of power or full bolt on with the factory intake. So tell me why the AEM isn't something he wants with his mods. Dudes are tuning there cars with a factory unit and the same goes with the AEM.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

With his mods which is only an axle back or catback and the tune. Exhaust adds only 3-4whp and the CAI with stock engine will only add maybe 1-2whp.

For the price of the CAI he could buy LCA and springs. Just better stuff to spend the money on rather than $200-250 for only 1-2whp. Dollars per HP it's not worth it. Exhaust is different slightly because it adds both visual and sound enhancements plus a few HP. You could argue CAI adds looks and sound but unless you either do car shows or run with no hood then no ones gonna see it. And the intake induction sound is less noticeable than an exhaust.

As for the "make lots of power" the lots the power is 90-95% because of the tune. Running a stock intake plus tune nets maybe 30whp where maybe adding the aftermarket CAI will net 31-32hp. Stock intake flows more than enough air for a stock coyote. The line to be drawn for needing an after market CAI can be either when going forced induction, nitrous, or Boss/CobraJet manifold which spins the motor 7600-8100rpm which at that engine speed can benefit from an open conical filter which does flow better than a flat filter.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just one added point, you can put a non-flat filter in your stock air box. This was in my V6 and also is in my V8.

http://www.amazon.com/30-80179-Direc...dp/B00381IQ68/
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT