Installed Exedy Mach 500 Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Installed Exedy Mach 500 Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Finished changing out the OEM clutch, flywheel & TOB on the car. The OEM clutch still had some meat on it and the flywheel looked good but had a little sign of hot spotting on it.
Went with the Exedy Mach 500 stage 3 clutch/pp with an Exedy Lightweight Steel Flywheel. The Clutch feel is great. After getting it completely bled out, the major feel difference is the engagement. We had already removed the helper spring so depression feels the same, but the clutch engages a lot quicker upon letting out the clutch. After it is properly broken in I will let you know how shifts are WOT and if any high RPM lockout still exists. The current drivetrain setup:
MT-82 6sp Transmission
Exedy Mach 500 Clutch/Pressure Plate
Exedy Lightweight Steel Flywheel
Exedy Hydraulic Throwout Bearing
SR Performance Braided SS Clutch Line
MGW Shifter
Blowfish Shifter Bracket / loop
Helper Spring Removed
Dynotech Aluminum 1pc Driveshaft

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Im looking at the Mach 500 as well, so the pedal effort is greatly increased then?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The pedal feel is great, just a bit more firm than the stock, but the engagement is a LOT better. (I would guess if you still kept your helper spring it would probably feel the same as the stock clutch on depression) It is a VERY good DD setup as it is a springed clutch. The steel flywheel won't bite quite as dramatically as an aluminum one would so it is a good choice for traffic as well.
Even though the OEM clutch on this car was still ok, the big reason to switch early is wanting to eliminate the high RPM lockout and being supercharged, it was a matter of time before the OEM clutch would start to have issues beyond lockout. This transmission has never had any nibble or crunchyness, so changing early the idea was to prevent that from ever happening and possibly damaging the syncro's because of the poor OEM clutch.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Still gets locked out high RPMs with the blowfish and MGW? Thought the blowfish prevents/cleared high RPM lockouts? Explain

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Still gets locked out high RPMs with the blowfish and MGW? Thought the blowfish prevents/cleared high RPM lockouts? Explain
Every once in a while, YES it would still get a dead on high RPM lockout. The lockout is not from missing the slot in the shift, it is from the clutch not opening fully and basically being what amounts to a wall right in the shift slot.
Everything we did made huge improvements from stock and night and day differences in the frequency of lockout occurring. From what I have learned, the REAL culprit seems to be the clutch itself being the major reason for the high RPM lockout and the clutch line, shifter and helper spring are just contributing factors.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Every once in a while, YES it would still get a dead on high RPM lockout. The lockout is not from missing the slot in the shift, it is from the clutch not opening fully and basically being what amounts to a wall right in the shift slot.
Everything we did made huge improvements from stock and night and day differences in the frequency of lockout occurring. From what I have learned, the REAL culprit seems to be the clutch itself being the major reason for the high RPM lockout and the clutch line, shifter and helper spring are just contributing factors.
So the blowfish helps let's say 75% lockouts but when your going hard and your cars heating up it has a 25% lockout? Or what's the numbers like... Because the blowfish was gonna be my next mod after tires, also how bads the rattles

Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Already told you what to get. And it works better than the blowfish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

I just don't see how $20 fix is going to solve the problem? Why does nobody do it? Nobody talks about if? Is everyone misinformed on this issue?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
I just don't see how $20 fix is going to solve the problem? Why does nobody do it? Nobody talks about if? Is everyone misinformed on this issue?

It's the same thing as the race spec. It's the main thing that causes the problem. Or don't listen and stay with one of the slowest bolton 5.0's in SA.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's the same thing as the race spec. It's the main thing that causes the problem. Or don't listen and stay with one of the slowest bolton 5.0's in SA.

Lol I don't know too many N/A bolt on GTs that are running 118+ Trap speeds in San Antonio. But your right lol I'm slow 😉

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

:p

Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know percentage, but before anything was done, high rpm lockout and the pedal staying down almost to the floor were common on WOT pulls. Took out the clutch helper spring and added the braided clutch line and MGW shifter. High rpm lockout would happen maybe 3 out of 10 WOT pulls.
Added the Blowfish bracket and it reduced it to maybe 1 out of 10 pulls. Dont really count how many times it happens, but imho, once is too much.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Deerslayer what do you recommend ?

GOTROD46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What do U recommend ?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Deerslayer what do you recommend ?
This setup feels great so far but I will let you know once we break the clutch completely in how everything together is.
From a totally a stock setup, I think in order you should change the shifter & clutch line first. Now, the new MGW shifter can save you from needing the BF bracket. If you have the original MGW, the Blowfish bracket is a great addition. That being said, you will not completely eliminate high RPM lockout, but it wont happen much. The clutch is the sure way to get rid of it. So far, the feel of this clutch is exactly what I was looking for a DD car. If it were raced more, the McLeod would be way to go.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanx for info, I contacted MGW & they said the Race Ready Shifter didn't need bracket if, I understood them correctly

Hammer Down !!!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

^^correct^^ The MGW race spec eliminates the need of the BF Bracket
Old 01-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
http://youtu.be/bILpfGaFYMc

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutionm
pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The big thing about the new MGW (IMO) is that it compltely replaced the limp dick crap factory linkage. No other shifter does this, not even the 1st gen MGW. Same deal with the GT500 shifters, the 1st gen MGW helped but wasn't a fix all. The revision was.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Good to report, NO HIGH RPM LOCKOUTS on WOT pulls shifting above 7k. This clutch is strong. Still takes a bit of getting used too in stop n go traffic as it does not slip at all, so it engages quicker upon letting off the clutch. Feels way better now WOT shifts tho. Unfortunately found out last night in a traffic jam that the electric radiator fan is out. Tested it and power is going to the motor, it is just not running. Bought one from the dealership last night and luckily it looks like we can just undo the fan motor with blades and just replace the bad one in the modified housing. I thought originally we would have to re trim and modify the new fan and shroud. About to start getting her up on the floor jacks and removing the charge piping. Glad we caught this before he takes the car back to school 8hrs away today..........
Old 01-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Good to report, NO HIGH RPM LOCKOUTS on WOT pulls shifting above 7k. This clutch is strong. Still takes a bit of getting used too in stop n go traffic as it does not slip at all, so it engages quicker upon letting off the clutch. Feels way better now WOT shifts tho. Unfortunately found out last night in a traffic jam that the electric radiator fan is out. Tested it and power is going to the motor, it is just not running. Bought one from the dealership last night and luckily it looks like we can just undo the fan motor with blades and just replace the bad one in the modified housing. I thought originally we would have to re trim and modify the new fan and shroud. About to start getting her up on the floor jacks and removing the charge piping. Glad we caught this before he takes the car back to school 8hrs away today..........
Awesome thread guys thank you. I was literaly coming here to posta question about the benefits of new clutch/flywheel. Want to go with Vortech charger down the road.One question slayer... did you go lightweight steel over aluminum flywheel for a specific reason? Less chatter? Strength for supercharger? Mach 500 good enough for Vortech? Also, looks like in Pic you got Exedy throwout as well. I assume that is highly recommended with new clutch.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Single disc clutch organic is going to top out at 500 ft lbs. For a vortech you'll want at least a mccleod rst. I'd say just go rxt and never worry about it holding ever.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

This clutch is holding fine. To be honest, the OEM clutch held ok for the miles. This clutch is MUCH better clutch flywheel setup than OEM and still is very drivable as a DD clutch. This car is a daily driver first, hot rod/racer second. It was a good moderate step up from the OEM without going to a dual disc un sprung cluctch with aluminum flywheel that grips like a biatch but is no fun in traffic. I have driven one and felt the McLeod setup and it is a great race setup but NOT a great DD setup.

Naples, a steel flywheel allows some slip upon engagement of the clutch. Trust me, this clutch engages MUCH quicker and less slip than the OEM but it is not too much to the point in which you almost stall. With an aluminum flywheel it engages even quicker and basically feels like you dump your clutch at low RPM's in traffic. I got to test drive a '12 GT with a McLeod RST/Aluminum flywheel. It does have a great feel off the floor but was too much clutch IMHO for traffic driving.
It is cold here in ATX now and we were on new really good asphalt near my house doing WOT pulls. This car was getting loose on the 3/4 shift at WOT. I felt it and my son who daily drives the car says that this clutch is night and day difference speed shifting. The money saved vs the McLeod route is significant. I shopped and got discounts and got a great deal on this setup through AM and ebay. After testing everything now except longevity, I think this is a great combo for a car that has been modded but still a daily driver.

On the fan switch, it turned out to be a breeze. My son and I pulled the radiator cover, the intake & filter, the top radiator hose and a small section of the charge piping and were able to pull the fan & shroud, replace the motor and fan ONLY and pop it back in. It took he and I all of 1.5hrs. Worked like a champ although have no idea why the fan motor failed.

Scotty, this clutch is sprung and rated for 734 ft lbs torque at the FW. That translates to 600ft lbs at the tires. This car produces 500 ft lbs of torque at the rear tires so we are right where I want too be. The organic sprung clutch is more mellow than a ceramic/aluminum setup but still has PLENTY of grip when it is called upon.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Single disc clutch organic is going to top out at 500 ft lbs. For a vortech you'll want at least a mccleod rst. I'd say just go rxt and never worry about it holding ever.
Stock clutch will hold past 600 easily

Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ agreed. Only issue we experienced was occasional WOT lockout
Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Deerslayer, love ur build always have. Really appreciate thus in depth information. Hopefully a month ir so away from drivetrain uogrades. Want that next... Vortech little later.

Keep up the sweet build and as always thanks for everything

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Stock clutch will hold past 600 easily

Really a single disc 11" will hold 600? Hmmm well then. Obviously I'll defer to you but I personally would not trust a single disc organic to hold that much power for a very long time, that's just me. Yet another reason to go automagic.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Really a single disc 11" will hold 600? Hmmm well then. Obviously I'll defer to you but I personally would not trust a single disc organic to hold that much power for a very long time, that's just me. Yet another reason to go automagic.
My stock clutch held 611hp and 650 tq. Never gave out, swapped it out when we went to 700+

Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Automatic will loose in a roll race every time

Old 02-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^^^ agreed. Only issue we experienced was occasional WOT lockout
Iwas just on the phone with a guy talking about the Exedy lightweight flywheel and he said it is not good for a daily driver. that they thing is so light in rotational mass it makes the car want to bog when talking off at lower RPMs.

Anyone experience this or know anything about that? Hell I already ordered the stage 4 clutch, Shifter support and aluminum drive shaft. I was dead set on that Flywheel? Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Naples, don't know who was saying that, but that is not what we have found with this setup at all. This car also has a 1pc drive shaft so the rotational mass has been reduced quite a bit. The takeoffs feel different from the OEM setup and it does take some getting used too, but you will also get the feel that it is more solidly engaging. I am guessing he is saying that because you will feel less "slip" from the OEM setup, and if you just want to dump the clutch at really low rpm's it would bog more than the OEM setup would, but this setup is a good setup for a daily driven car.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Naples, don't know who was saying that, but that is not what we have found with this setup at all. This car also has a 1pc drive shaft so the rotational mass has been reduced quite a bit. The takeoffs feel different from the OEM setup and it does take some getting used too, but you will also get the feel that it is more solidly engaging. I am guessing he is saying that because you will feel less "slip" from the OEM setup, and if you just want to dump the clutch at really low rpm's it would bog more than the OEM setup would, but this setup is a good setup for a daily driven car.
Perfect. thats what I thought. Now just gotta wait for someone to get the dang thing in.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Just had the Exedy 600 stage 4 clutch installed. Chose that because it wasn't hardly anymore than the 500 once you factored in buying the TO. Also got the lightweight Exedy flywheel. Installed the Blowfish racing bracket and a Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. Changed transmission fluid to Royal Purple and McLeod SS clutch line. I only have about 50 miles on it so far.

Definitely engages quicker. There is a vibration in the stick as allot of people have expressed with the bracket although I think it is minimal and mostly noticed because I was looking for it. Less clunking and drive-train noise in cabin when shifting for sure. I am babying it right now so haven't done any WOT or high RPM shifts yet so keep you posted. I seem to have a little more vibration over 4000rpm but hard to say. Taking on the highway so can get some speed and revs going and will report back. gears almost seem shorter and closer. I did already have the Barton shifter and bracket. I think the support form the BF racing bracket is likely what is causing that feeling
Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #34

Region: Louisiana
confused

Quote:
I don't know percentage, but before anything was done, high rpm lockout and the pedal staying down almost to the floor were common on WOT pulls. Took out the clutch helper spring and added the braided clutch line and MGW shifter. High rpm lockout would happen maybe 3 out of 10 WOT pulls.
Added the Blowfish bracket and it reduced it to maybe 1 out of 10 pulls. Dont really count how many times it happens, but imho, once is too much.
i thought the mgw and the blowfish bracket dont work together?
t03.23.95l is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT