front 19X10 wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which set are you using or that you recommend to go with 285/35R19?
squared 19X10 3 75.00%
19X10 front & 19X11 rear 0 0%
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 2 50.00%
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Question front 19X10 wheels

Hi Guys,
I have several questions:
Anyone with 19X10 runing squared or
19x10 front & 19x11 rears?
Mounted in 285/35R19 tires, please share driving experience with your setup. Do you have any fitting or rubbering issue?
Which tires do you prefer for Street and track?
Michelin Super Sport or Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
19x10 +42 all around. Works well at the track no rubbing 285/35/19 PSS. Good set up for cars with Koni sport and mild lowering springs. Getting into wider options in the 300's for tire size would start to overpower my current suspension setup on the track. PSS is not the best choice for track but it has been the best compromise tire I have run with 30k mileage warranty.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Before i vote. What will you be using the car for, and what is your driving style? There are pros and cons to each type of set up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What is the widest you can go on these 14s without spacers? I would like to go staggered look on mine. I'm not racing just for looks.
The Michelin I hear get good ratings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
19x10 +42 all around. Works well at the track no rubbing 285/35/19 PSS. Good set up for cars with Koni sport and mild lowering springs. Getting into wider options in the 300's for tire size would start to overpower my current suspension setup on the track. PSS is not the best choice for track but it has been the best compromise tire I have run with 30k mileage warranty.
Thanks BigJay. Which is your brand of wheels?
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Before i vote. What will you be using the car for, and what is your driving style? There are pros and cons to each type of set up.
Hi Soccerluvr4,
Spirited driving. DD and ocassional circuit track.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post
What is the widest you can go on these 14s without spacers? I would like to go staggered look on mine. I'm not racing just for looks.

Yes, My Michelin SS have great handling on road or track, even on wet, good wear, much better than the crap stock Pirellis.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
Thanks BigJay. Which is your brand of wheels?
Forgestar

Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post

11 inch wide rim with a 325 tire has been done. Offset needs to be spot on.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My street and road course tires are a set of the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s in 285/35R-19 square. The RE-11 is a tire that just gets better and better with heat (I was able to keep up with a gentleman I race with in a new 911 GT3, granted it was a pretty technical course). The Michelin is a good street tire, but not useful for competition, the compound is too hard, the tread squirms too much, and the sidewalls are too soft. I have one winter (car is daily driven, year round), 18,000 miles, 45 autocross runs (I ran STU before moving to ESP and Hoosiers for this season), and two full track time trial events on a set of these. My only gripe is that capability at high temp means a low temp compromise. They do not try to kill you when it is cold, the way some other tires so, but they do not have quite the initial cold temp (ambient) grip that the Dunlop Direzza Z2 star specs or the BFGoodrich Rivals, these do need to be warmed up a bit (making the RE-11 a not so great autocross tire, but a lot of road racers love these in the rain, there is not much that is better).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
Hi Soccerluvr4,

Spirited driving. DD and ocassional circuit track.

I'd say 19x10 square RE-11s

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
My street and road course tires are a set of the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s in 285/35R-19 square. The RE-11 is a tire that just gets better and better with heat (I was able to keep up with a gentleman I race with in a new 911 GT3, granted it was a pretty technical course). The Michelin is a good street tire, but not useful for competition, the compound is too hard, the tread squirms too much, and the sidewalls are too soft. I have one winter (car is daily driven, year round), 18,000 miles, 45 autocross runs (I ran STU before moving to ESP and Hoosiers for this season), and two full track time trial events on a set of these. My only gripe is that capability at high temp means a low temp compromise. They do not try to kill you when it is cold, the way some other tires so, but they do not have quite the initial cold temp (ambient) grip that the Dunlop Direzza Z2 star specs or the BFGoodrich Rivals, these do need to be warmed up a bit (making the RE-11 a not so great autocross tire, but a lot of road racers love these in the rain, there is not much that is better).
Just out of curiosity have you run the pilots for track event etc.?

Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I used them back to back with a set of RE-11s, then A6's on a 2012 WRX that several of us co-drove to see which tire we liked better. For street only use, the Michelin would be quieter (the RE-11 does growl a bit due to the nature of the tread), but from a performance standpoint, the PSS just has too much sidewall deformation and tread squirm. For a 300 treadwear tire, it has a remarkable amount of grip, but, it is still much lower than an actual performance tire. No one in the regions that I frequent runs this tire on a mustang with any regularity (hence the WRX, but another gentleman I race with who tried the PSS on his 911 had the same response though) the question now seems to be RE-11, Direzza Z2, or BFG Rivals.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Wouldn't argue the other three are track stars over the pss. They do tend to be one sided with lower temps and rain in the equation. Pss has been good for my northwest winter track days and daily.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Just out of curiosity have you run the pilots for track event etc.?

Yes, I think they did very good, I was on the back of a BMW M3 (V8) at my local PCA track, he could not leave me behind, even that his car was modded, had paddle shift, better track tires & bigger brakes, plus an experienced pilot on that track, mine was my first time with the 5.0. But I don't know how the PSS will compare with the Bridgestone RE-11.
The only thing that was not able to survive, were my stock Brembo brakes.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Once you get some heat in the RE-11 (not hard to do in a heavy car such as a mustang, I have had no trouble getting heat in the tires in 35 degree weather, with that lovely southeastern Virginia humidity and constant 20 mph cross wind trying to suck the tires back to cold), they have more grip than the PSS, and are by far the best rain tire I have used (however, they are on the unfortunate side of useless in the slush and snow). One other advantage to the RE-11 is that it has the stiffest sidewall of any "street" tire, which allows the outside edges to hold up a bit better.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
11? That is to big for me. Any input on what you think I should do? I have a Sterling Grey CS. I was looking at some Godspeed deep-dish wheel with a 5 in lip. I was thinking 20 rear and 19 front. Let me know please. I would want a super aggressive look with a wide rear tire...

Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Once you get some heat in the RE-11 (not hard to do in a heavy car such as a mustang, I have had no trouble getting heat in the tires in 35 degree weather, with that lovely southeastern Virginia humidity and constant 20 mph cross wind trying to suck the tires back to cold), they have more grip than the PSS, and are by far the best rain tire I have used (however, they are on the unfortunate side of useless in the slush and snow). One other advantage to the RE-11 is that it has the stiffest sidewall of any "street" tire, which allows the outside edges to hold up a bit better.
Good to know. I will likely give them a go next swap. How are they for treadlife?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have 18,000 miles on them, 45 autocross runs, and two time trail weekends on them. Treadwear is still heaviest on the outside (only noticeable on the fronts, can be minimized by regular rotation to the rear), and the inside to outside difference is about 1/32". I have about 40% treadlife remaining.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have 18,000 miles on them, 45 autocross runs, and two time trail weekends on them. Treadwear is still heaviest on the outside (only noticeable on the fronts, can be minimized by regular rotation to the rear), and the inside to outside difference is about 1/32". I have about 40% treadlife remaining.
That sounds great thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT