Water leak in car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Water leak in car

I would like to know if anyone else have a problem like this. I have a 14 GT. I just noticed last week water leaked into the interior of my car around the rear passenger floor. Only the carpet around the edges of the rear passenger seat was wet. I have no idea how it got in. I air dried and wet vaccummed most of it out, it felt dry and then yesterday we had a lot of rain. Today I went to check on it and the same area is wet again. Anyone know how water might have got into that back area?

The good thing is the car is still under full warranty and should be covered, but I need the car for this week and will not be able to bring it in till end of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
There is a body seam at the right rear fender well that will allow water in. I usually see the water pool at the bottom of the b pillar where the seat belt assembly is. I heard it sloshing around after a heavy rain. I would remove the plastic trim at the rr b pillar. If you pull back the trim panels and the bottom of the fender (between the door and rear quarter panel) is dry....then your search continues. If it is wet or standing water as I had shop vac it and dry it well. Then using silicone you will need to put a couple globs along side of the factory body sealer that you will see at the back and bottom of this inner fender pocket. Smooth it out generously over the body sealer and you will not see water again. Hope this helps.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
My 14 leaks inbetween the clutch and brake pedal. When im driving in the rain I have a constant drip on my shoe. Gonna try to bring it in this week to have it checked out. All drain holes are clear.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have the same problem with mine too and I remembered with my old 05 the dealer said I have to check the plug that is located under the hood where the firewall is, there will be a grommet that you can take it out and get rid of the debris that is inside, it's part of the cowl hood if I'm right, so this is what I did with my 13 and it worked, it was clogged and sometimes the grommet closed up so I put another rubber in there to keep it open. Hope this help. And by the way there is another one in the driver side.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks but my drains are all clear, its part of my underhood cleaning routine. Looked everywhere for the leak, my carpet is starting to get a dark spot on it. Nothing like the smell of of water in your not even a year old car.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Thanks but my drains are all clear, its part of my underhood cleaning routine. Looked everywhere for the leak, my carpet is starting to get a dark spot on it. Nothing like the smell of of water in your not even a year old car.
Okay thats weird, have you noticed under the grommet there is hole with no seal? I think that is culprit is, I sealed mine up, so far no problem cos water can go through there too. I don't why is there though and not sealed.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im going to check that area again. Hope thats it, this is one of the main reasons I recently stopped modding the car. I wanna make sure this isnt a major issue.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Im going to check that area again. Hope thats it, this is one of the main reasons I recently stopped modding the car. I wanna make sure this isnt a major issue.
Ok good hopefully it will work out for you man, as for my experienced this is what I did, I plugged the whole under the grommet and put another rubber inside the grommet to keep it open at all times. Keep us posted.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Ok good hopefully it will work out for you man, as for my experienced this is what I did, I plugged the whole under the grommet and put another rubber inside the grommet to keep it open at all times. Keep us posted.

Sure will thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I went to wet vac it out tonight after the rain stopped, it may be coming from the front, I'm not sure, but there is water all along the edge of the passenger side from under the dash and I guess it all settled in the back, my car is park in my driveway and it is slightly angled down. I guess all the water ran from the front down and settled in the back passenger side. The good thing is it is only around the edges of the carpet and not the whole interior carpet.

I will definitely check under the cowel and around the front of the car tomorrow to see if there is any clogs.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I just had a leak fixed on my 14 V6, there was a lot of water trapped between body panels, like 20bmr14 said. I had mine fixed at the dealer before any water got inside because mine made sloshing noises with all the water stuck between the panels. From the area you're describing, it sounds like the exact same place. The wheel well wasn't sealed properly, so driving in wet conditions slung water up into the seam where it fell and settled behind the body panel.

Edit: Here is a link to a different forum post of the same problem, if you scroll down a bit he has pictures of where the water was trapped and you can actually see it pooled up in between the panels.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f...-panel-526799/
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I took the car to the dealer and they are looking at it. I can't say mine is for sure from the wheel well, the second time it happened the car was parked the whole time after 2 days of rain. I never heard any sloshing/water sound from my car while driving it before.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
trust me if you have water pooling in the inner fender. remove the trim remove the seat belt assy. wet vac the water and dry it well with a towel. silicone the body sealer seam UNDER and along side of it and you're done.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
When I took my quarter windows out there was a gap in the seal on the driver's side. The car is garaged but I wouldn't have been surprised if it leaked because of that.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #15

Region: Canada
fix ,reseal the the left hand break pedal assemble mounting bolt .mine was leaking around this bolt up under the dash .it is the left bolt facing the front of the car ,your can see the rust on it
wildwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT