Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Pictures of new design UPR catch can.

20K views 181 replies 18 participants last post by  70monte 
#1 ·
Today I received the new design UPR catch can. On their website they have it under the 2015 5.0 Mustang but when I called they said it works on the 11-14 5.0 as well. I don't have a picture of it installed on the car yet as the car is stored at another location for the winter but I will take the can there in a few days and install it and take pictures.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the can as well as the lines and quick connect and one picture of it next to their classic design can.

See less See more
#49 ·
From the can to the intake on the exit side is the correct setup. Yes it makes the setup universal so you can add a bracket if you choose to change mounting locations. That is the 5028-SCB-MODEL.

It just means he has the can mounted backwards and it will lock the system. Let me know where this is so I can help him correct it.

Joe

#50 ·
I PM'd you with the link to the thread. I think he figured it out after I asked him a question on the forum. Thanks for the info on the screw holes.

Wayne

#51 ·
Just a quick heads up on the new 5028 and 5030 UPR SC Catch Can Systems, I have been working on two additional stages for the system that will be completed in late March. These are going to be upgrades to handle serious demands and boosted applications as well as normally aspirated setups.

These two additional stages are for the higher heat applications to be able to control PCV oil vapor / mist in the most extreme or demanding conditions.

The upgrades will be free for everyone running either of these systems to show how much we stand behind our new designs and that they are here to stay. The only thing I will need is for anyone interested in the upgrades to cover the shipping only.

Thank you, Joe

#54 ·
They do ship quickly. Did you get it installed yet? Any pictures? The internal design does look impressive and does look like they went up and above most of the other internal designs I have seen out there. Now to see how well it works.

Wayne

#55 ·
I will install this weekend with before pcv exit tube condition. This is following a track day last weekend and car has been parked since then. Should give a fair representation before and another track day this coming 24th for another after

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#58 ·
Installed the upr can and my factory pcv line was a little wet. I am working on remote placement of the can. Spoke with upr about using the 15 bracket and hoses. They will make me hoses to desired length. The other pic is a possible location behind fuse box. Excuse the rotation of the photo could not get it to cooperate with my phone.

Attachments

#61 ·
I was looking for a cooler as in temp. Location for my 14. I had read somewhere the cooler the can the better. Maybe it doesn't matter so much? If it doesn't effect condensation collection or overall performance I might just leave it for now?

#62 ·
The main reason is because with the system like that your engine does not have a dedicated clean air source. That is the reason the system has two hose tapped into the intake tube. This is showing how little people know about the PCV system and it will reduce ring seal and strictly rely on the amount of air that gets past the rings to function. The system is now limited to only dirty air and has no clean line for a a true fresh air source.

Limiting the PCV will always have a negative effect on MPG and overall efficiency and is a huge no no to do. The picture in theory looks good until you realize that the driver side is the SUCTION side of the PCV system and the passenger side is the exit where they place the PCV valve. I see this everyday and it has become common since many manufacturers sell twin systems for NA cars which is only to make money and has created even more confusion on how the PCV works.

This creates an unbalanced vacuum condition with suction fight the pistons on every up stroke and is a common misconception. Don't make this mistake.

I just wanted to shed some light on this to be sure no one here makes this mistake.

#66 ·
The main reason is because with the system like that your engine does not have a dedicated clean air source. That is the reason the system has two hose tapped into the intake tube. This is showing how little people know about the PCV system and it will reduce ring seal and strictly rely on the amount of air that gets past the rings to function. The system is now limited to only dirty air and has no clean line for a a true fresh air source.

Limiting the PCV will always have a negative effect on MPG and overall efficiency and is a huge no no to do. The picture in theory looks good until you realize that the driver side is the SUCTION side of the PCV system and the passenger side is the exit where they place the PCV valve. I see this everyday and it has become common since many manufacturers sell twin systems for NA cars which is only to make money and has created even more confusion on how the PCV works.

This creates an unbalanced vacuum condition with suction fight the pistons on every up stroke and is a common misconception. Don't make this mistake.

I just wanted to shed some light on this to be sure no one here makes this mistake.
Just a quick test for you all to do. This is an easy one that will show you what I'm explaining. Take PCV the line off the off the driver side and hole your thumb over the fitting in the valve cover for 60 seconds and then let go. You will see that is the clean side like I explained and it will make a loud suction noise trying to balance back out and pull air into the crankcase.

The passenger side will only have positive pressure and never give you a suction noise or anything other than maybe an oil mist on your thumb.So when you see companies offer a catch can for the clean side of your vehicle then you can realize they don't understand the PCV system nor should their motives be trusted. The only time you use a catch can on the clean side is when the engine is Supercharged.
I recently bought your plug-n-play for my Mustang as the quality looked first class and your design is I believe ahead of everyone else.
I've been a drag racer for a lot of years and I've never really had a PCV system except on my two blower cars which were an attempt to build a drag motor and put it on the street......some 20 years ago.
Back in the day it was the Crankcase Evac System and in the past 10 years it's been about using vacuum pumps to reduce crankcase pressure while increasing piston ring seal and trying to reduce intake charge contamination....while sealing the motor from outside air has been important to producing HP.
So, long story short, this is somewhat new ground for me to cover and I really appreciate the time you've spent explaining your equipment.............it is first class!
I really appreciate your explanation of the system on our cars.

#65 ·
Just a quick test for you all to do. This is an easy one that will show you what I'm explaining. Take PCV the line off the off the driver side and hole your thumb over the fitting in the valve cover for 60 seconds and then let go. You will see that is the clean side like I explained and it will make a loud suction noise trying to balance back out and pull air into the crankcase.

The passenger side will only have positive pressure and never give you a suction noise or anything other than maybe an oil mist on your thumb.So when you see companies offer a catch can for the clean side of your vehicle then you can realize they don't understand the PCV system nor should their motives be trusted. The only time you use a catch can on the clean side is when the engine is Supercharged.

#69 ·
Just a quick heads up for you guys as I have been seeing in very hot locations to reverse the direction of the can's in and out as this has proven to be better for the coalescing effect. Wayne and BigJay this is for you both to try and tell me how you like the difference in performance. Have the side that enters the outer can facing the valve cover and the center diffuser will act as the exit and then you will see a positive improvement without question.

Joe

#71 ·
Thanks for this info. I will run the can like I have it now, then switch it up at some point to see if I see any difference.

Wayne

#73 ·
So the best way is like you show in your Youtube video? In the above picture, the right side picture is the inlet path coming from the PCV valve and the exit path is depicted by the left side picture that is going through the three round perforated diffusers and out to the intake. Do I have this correct? Thanks.

Wayne

#74 ·
The air needs to come in through the C shaped chamber and exit out through the center hole to get the best performance. Basically it will come in and get pulled through the 3 screens to properly Coalesce and then it will condense as the clean air gets pulled out though the 3 stage diffuser system in the center.

#75 ·
Ok, so I need to turn my can around. Thanks for the new info. Does this mean that you will still be adding two additional stages to the can setup like you mentioned a few days ago?

Wayne

#76 ·
Absolutely on the two additional stages.

I have designed these kits for UPR to be modular and unconditionally improve the efficiency and oil separation characteristics to compensate for any temperature or conditions. I am also currently working on a few extreme applications that require it.

So I feel it's vital for me to deliver the same level of performance for all our systems and customers for a price that is lower than many can even manufacture such a complex oil separator for.

I want UPR to offer consumers the choice to do it right the first time and be expandable to upgrades and have the ability to convert it to work on other vehicles as well.

#77 ·
Slightly Offtopic: I'm considering getting one of your UPR catch cans for my F-150 3.5L Ecoboost.

Are the 2 sides of the hoses already cut to length & ready, of do you just provide one length of hose & all the connectors? I can't tell what is provided b/c the pictures on your product pages show it several ways.

I've got it running the 50hp 87-octane tune, and before I run the 90hp 93-Octane tune, I figured I better get an oil separator.

#78 ·
I'm considering getting one of your UPR catch cans for my F-150 3.5L Ecoboost.
Great Choices....

Are the 2 sides of the hoses already cut to length & ready, of do you just provide one length of hose & all the connectors?

All the hoses are cut to fit plug n play with the single valve and the dual valve kits 5030-80 or the 5030-80-CSS

I've got it running the 50hp 87-octane tune, and before I run the 90hp 93-Octane tune, I figured I better get an oil separator.

That's a must to be sure you keep your engine well protected

Joe

#79 ·
Hi Joe,
Today I turned my can around like you have suggested and I will see how it does. I only drove about 20 miles with it the original way. I cleaned everything out with a q-tip even though there was not much visible oil.

I notice that in Post #72 that has the picture of the inside of the can, the center tube in your picture only has two holes going down the side of the tube versus the three that is on my center tube. Is there any reason for the difference?

Wayne

#80 ·
There is no difference between the flow or performance of the 4 hole or the 6 hole diffuser tubes. I am working on fine tuning the best possible control of oil separation at any temperature. UPR has spent so much time Tuning Airflow vs. Internal Volume in our System's to continually improve our products.

We just completed the first UPR Catch Can System on a 2015 Supercharged Mustang when MAK Performance spent the morning at UPR with us as we fit their new 2015 F150 Ecoboost with the cleanest system we have developed yet. As well as on their new 2015 Mustang GT Equipped with a H.O. Procharger Kit.

Check out the link to the NEW 2015 Ecoboost F150 Dual Valve Catch Can System by UPR.

Coming Soon 2015 Ecoboost Catch Can Systems for the 2.7L and 3.5L

#81 ·
Ok, thanks. I think I heard that the grill on the new 15 F150's is not attached to the hood like the previous models. Is this correct and is this why you now have the can back inside the engine compartment versus just inside the grill like the previous versions? I assume the inside design is the same as the previous dual valve cans.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.