Pictures of new design UPR catch can. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Pictures of new design UPR catch can.

Today I received the new design UPR catch can. On their website they have it under the 2015 5.0 Mustang but when I called they said it works on the 11-14 5.0 as well. I don't have a picture of it installed on the car yet as the car is stored at another location for the winter but I will take the can there in a few days and install it and take pictures.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the can as well as the lines and quick connect and one picture of it next to their classic design can.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

some more pictures.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

some more pictures.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

looks well made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know why the above pictures posted twice but here are a few more pictures.

From what I can tell, it looks like a pretty good design so I will be curious how it works in real life. It looks like they did quite a bit to prevent oil and oil vapors from reaching the intake because there are many different baffles for the oil and vapors to get caught on. You can see in the one picture where I put the middle assembly down in the can itself to show how close the baffles are to the can wall so that hopefully most of the vapors and oil will be caught in the baffles instead of going around them. With the top on the can, the whole assembly is as tall as the original style can.

Wayne

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

I don't know why the above pictures posted twice but here are a few more pictures.

From what I can tell, it looks like a pretty good design so I will be curious how it works in real life. It looks like they did quite a bit to prevent oil and oil vapors from reaching the intake because there are many different baffles for the oil and vapors to get caught on. You can see in the one picture where I put the middle assembly down in the can itself to show how close the baffles are to the can wall so that hopefully most of the vapors and oil will be caught in the baffles instead of going around them. With the top on the can, the whole assembly is as tall as the original style can.

Wayne
Old 01-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app
tidecrazy3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The last picture I posted is what I think is their one way check valve that is in the line that goes to the intake. Those quick connects are also their own design from what I understand.

Wayne
Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
looks well made
Yes, but also looks expensive and maybe overkill.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...tor-15-sc.html

$150 ? I got my SR Performance one with no hose for like <$70 on sale.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
So how much was it!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
150 for plug and play with those nice hoses plus the inside design is miles ahead of the sr. Good deal imo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Just looked up our application 115. Good deal

BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I will get mine next Tuesday along with the drivers side breather tube made of the same line/fittings as the Plug-n-Play catch can.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Just looked up our application 115. Good deal

They just came out with a plug n play version that is smaller than what I just bought that is designed just like their original version and is probably what you see for sale for $115.

PS. I just went to their website and the one for $115 is their original design can which is not very effective. Watch the install video for that can and you can see that when he unscrews the bottom, the inside is not like the can I just bought. My can is also about twice as long as that can.

Wayne
Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I will get mine next Tuesday along with the drivers side breather tube made of the same line/fittings as the Plug-n-Play catch can.
Which plug-n-play version did you get? The one like I bought or the $115 version which is like their original design?

Wayne
Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Which plug-n-play version did you get? The one like I bought or the $115 version which is like their original design?

Wayne
No, I bought the one just like yours except mine will be black. I think it was $146 because I got it with the 14% discount, and just got word today it should be here next Tuesday. The one you and I have is called a 3 chamber design, and they are coming out with a 4 chamber design, but they wouldn't give me a time frame.
After talking with them anyone that has one of their cans with their snap hoses can just buy the new 3 chamber can and plug it in. I really liked the hoses and also got the drivers side hose with snap connectors also, just so they both look the same......I'm kind of anal that way.
I've got to leave next Monday and will be back East for a week or so, but when I get back I'll put mine on.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like a nice, well engineered design. The only thing I would like to see is a remote (firewall) mount - with those nice hoses and fittings they're using. I was planning on going with one from Bob's, but may have to seriously look at this one. Looks nice.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dubbed "Lucinda" by my 5 year old daughter and co-pilot
Itcouldbebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm definitely considering this one now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app
tidecrazy3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itcouldbebobby View Post
Looks like a nice, well engineered design. The only thing I would like to see is a remote (firewall) mount - with those nice hoses and fittings they're using. I was planning on going with one from Bob's, but may have to seriously look at this one. Looks nice.

After talking with the guys at UPR they said they were looking at a remote location for the 10/14's similar to the 15's. They are mounting the remote on the 15's down by the passenger front light, but on the 14 it would not work in the same location because of interference on the 14's.............I think you could buy the remote setup for the 14, the one that mounts off the passenger shock tower, and they ask them to sub the new 3 chamber can........might be a little more expensive though.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After talking with the guys at UPR they said they were looking at a remote location for the 10/14's similar to the 15's. They are mounting the remote on the 15's down by the passenger front light, but on the 14 it would not work in the same location because of interference on the 14's.............I think you could buy the remote setup for the 14, the one that mounts off the passenger shock tower, and they ask them to sub the new 3 chamber can........might be a little more expensive though.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be on the lookout, but you're suggestion would be a simple fix - all connectors being the same.
Curious for the update on performance vs the Bob's unit for sure.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, I bought the one just like yours except mine will be black. I think it was $146 because I got it with the 14% discount, and just got word today it should be here next Tuesday. The one you and I have is called a 3 chamber design, and they are coming out with a 4 chamber design, but they wouldn't give me a time frame.
After talking with them anyone that has one of their cans with their snap hoses can just buy the new 3 chamber can and plug it in. I really liked the hoses and also got the drivers side hose with snap connectors also, just so they both look the same......I'm kind of anal that way.
I've got to leave next Monday and will be back East for a week or so, but when I get back I'll put mine on.
We got ours for the same price because I got the 14% discount as well but in the description of the one I bought, it says it's a four stage design and farther down in the description says something about four chamber so now I'm a little confused. They called their original design a three chamber design. I will be curious to see what the inside of yours looks like and as far as I knew, black was a $20 add on charge over the one I got.

Wayne
Old 01-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
We got ours for the same price because I got the 14% discount as well but in the description of the one I bought, it says it's a four stage design and farther down in the description says something about four chamber so now I'm a little confused. They called their original design a three chamber design. I will be curious to see what the inside of yours looks like and as far as I knew, black was a $20 add on charge over the one I got.

Wayne
Ok, now I'm confused because I actually bought it on online on the last day, and when I called them on the 5th to find out when they would ship the guy I talked to, Evan I think, told me that the 15 Mustang was the newest design and he said 3 chamber and that they were coming out with a 4 chamber and get back to me with a date they would release it.............I haven't heard anything yet. I'm pretty sure mine will look the same except be black.....................the regular aluminum was $149, and $20 adder for the black finish, $169 less the 14% was $145 and change, plus I bought the drivers side tubing to match the catch can tubing.....................we will see what comes via UPS.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, now I'm confused because I actually bought it on online on the last day, and when I called them on the 5th to find out when they would ship the guy I talked to, Evan I think, told me that the 15 Mustang was the newest design and he said 3 chamber and that they were coming out with a 4 chamber and get back to me with a date they would release it.............I haven't heard anything yet. I'm pretty sure mine will look the same except be black.....................the regular aluminum was $149, and $20 adder for the black finish, $169 less the 14% was $145 and change, plus I bought the drivers side tubing to match the catch can tubing.....................we will see what comes via UPS.
I know the can I got is supposed to be their latest design and I have not heard of another revision. Did the guy you talked to say what the 4 chamber design is supposed to look like?

They must have given you free shipping because they charged me around $17 for 3 day shipping and then my 14% was taken off of that amount. They sent me a set of free black 5.0 fender emblems for the 15 Mustang but since mine is a 14 I don't know if they would work and the design is slightly different than the 14 design. It is a $40 value according to their website.

I would also like to have the driver's side tubing and may get it in the future.

Wayne
Old 01-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I just went to UPR's website and looked at their 11-14 F150 ecoboost 3.5 dual valve catch can which has a very similar interior design as the can that I bought and in the description it says it's a 4 chamber design so I'm going to assume that the can I bought is considered a 4 chamber design as well.

I do wish they would have put a drain valve provision in the can I bought because I'm not sure how long the rubber o-ring will last on the can if you have to unscrew the bottom from the top each time to drain it.

Wayne
Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Can breathers be an alternative, & much cheaper?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I know the can I got is supposed to be their latest design and I have not heard of another revision. Did the guy you talked to say what the 4 chamber design is supposed to look like?

They must have given you free shipping because they charged me around $17 for 3 day shipping and then my 14% was taken off of that amount. They sent me a set of free black 5.0 fender emblems for the 15 Mustang but since mine is a 14 I don't know if they would work and the design is slightly different than the 14 design. It is a $40 value according to their website.

I would also like to have the driver's side tubing and may get it in the future.

Wayne
Quote:
I just went to UPR's website and looked at their 11-14 F150 ecoboost 3.5 dual valve catch can which has a very similar interior design as the can that I bought and in the description it says it's a 4 chamber design so I'm going to assume that the can I bought is considered a 4 chamber design as well.

I do wish they would have put a drain valve provision in the can I bought because I'm not sure how long the rubber o-ring will last on the can if you have to unscrew the bottom from the top each time to drain it.

Wayne
I guess we will see what comes. Yes, the guy did give me free shipping...we had some issues while on the phone...which I thought was nice of him.
I'm sure you could drill a hole in the bottom and either weld or thread the drain plug. When I install mine I will check it every 1000 miles (which they recommend anyway) and then go from there. I would think you could easily get O rings but doubt they will wear especially if lubed. Although they get to be a little expensive Viton O rings will last for a lot longer than silicone or regular rubber. They will also withstand high heat and resist wear. I'm sure once we know the size they can be found.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
Can breathers be an alternative, & much cheaper?
I used K&N breathers on a race car with baffled tubes and the motor still brought oil residue to the valve covers and engine bay...........and the motor was only spinning 7000rpm 1/4 mile at a time. This was a push rod Windsor and not an OHC motor....maybe someone who has used them on their Coyote could comment.
I want a closed system, not an open system, but I'm anal.
You also made the comment about "much cheaper"; I don't mean to come off like an $@*hole, but if you want to do things cheaply maybe you've picked the wrong hobby.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess we will see what comes. Yes, the guy did give me free shipping...we had some issues while on the phone...which I thought was nice of him.
I'm sure you could drill a hole in the bottom and either weld or thread the drain plug. When I install mine I will check it every 1000 miles (which they recommend anyway) and then go from there. I would think you could easily get O rings but doubt they will wear especially if lubed. Although they get to be a little expensive Viton O rings will last for a lot longer than silicone or regular rubber. They will also withstand high heat and resist wear. I'm sure once we know the size they can be found.
I'm sure you got the same thing I did and maybe the guy was wrong about the 3 chamber vs the 4 chamber thing. I will probably check mine about the same as you are going to. I think my Bob's can usually collects about a 1/4 oz in 1,000 miles.

I don't plan on doing any drilling in my can so I will just live with the design as is and I'll just put vasoline or something on the o-ring.

Wayne
Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #27

Region: Florida
The new four chamber can does not have a drain because it's quicker to pull the can off of the engine (with the new quick disconnect fittings) than it was to drain the old style cans with the drain valves. It literally takes less than five seconds to remove the can.

UPR does not have a three chamber can.
Sharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
The new four chamber can does not have a drain because it's quicker to pull the can off of the engine (with the new quick disconnect fittings) than it was to drain the old style cans with the drain valves. It literally takes less than five seconds to remove the can.

UPR does not have a three chamber can.
I don't know about that. If you read the description in this link: 11-14 Mustang GT 5.0 Billet Oil Catch Can Separator under installation, it says "The UPR oil catch can features a three chamber design CNC machined from 6061 billet aluminum unlike some of our competitors models that are single chamber tanks that don't properly trap the oils or debris"

This description is for your classic style can that you have been selling for quite a few years now and I have always heard it described as three chambers. The two chambers in the top and the one chamber consisting of the bottom tank.

I only mention the drain valve because I read a post from someone on the forums who said the threads of his UPR catch can was galling from the repeated unscrewing of the bottom part of the can over time. I don't want that to happen to mine.

So for clarification, is the can that I posted pictures of here a 4 chamber design? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a youtube video that Sharad posted else where that explains how this new can works. Thanks Sharad.

Wayne
Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

From the video: "This system catches 100% of the oil and nothing goes through"
Now there's a bold claim. Truth or a bit of salesmanship?
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
Who knows at this point but I doubt it catches 100%. I bet you will still get some oil vapors to get past the can.

Wayne
Old 01-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give you a quick heads up on the new system. Wayne knows first hand how long and hard I have personally worked on these new designs and I'm not into the salesmanship side of things. My concern is the performance of our systems and to be up front. I have run these on many of our cars and the results have been exceptional.

I am sure with heavily boosted applications we can get a few % to barely mist the exit. But I can promise the amount of oil vapor if any will literally shock you, that our system can perform so incredible. I would not allow it to be put out there just to be challenged and shot down by BS meters etc. LOL

Seriously I have put well into the low six figure range in developing and designing these systems to bring us into a new era of oil separation performance.

Feel free to PM me or ask me any questions.

Thank you, Joe
UPRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Joe,
The new design looks likes it's very well thought out and should really work well. I can't wait to see the results for myself.

Wayne
Old 01-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just about sold based on the design alone. I have somewhat of a background in control valve design and implementation, and this design utilizes comparable elements (torturous paths, multiple stages, etc.) that should be highly effective. Looks really nice, Joe. I'll be watching this one too.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I will say, i have a Bob's firewall can and have long preached its superiority on this form based on my opinions and experience. I will say though, that for the price ... i do feel this piece goes a bit further.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT