Alignment or camber kit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Alignment or camber kit?

Sadness falls upon me like gentle waters.

I was about to purchase a torque converter from Circle D and a tune from AED or MAP, but...

I took my car into Ford today for an oil change and rotation. My wheels are staggered, 20x9.5 in the rear and 20x8.5 in the front. I also have a Roush suspension.

The inner edge of the front passenger tire is worn flat and I was told that I would need a camber kit and alignment. Since this is the same dealership that has customer service reps ask me if my 2011 GT is a 6 or 8 cylinder, I like to double check their recommendations.

Alignment is $90 and the quote for the camber bolts was $227. Since I have a Roush suspension is a camber kit (bolts) or plates required?

I am fine with the alignment recommendation, that is something I will do.
FirstGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Required? What are you doing with the car and how much adjustment do you want. Bolts will help get you back into proper alignment for camber and plates will allow you to adjust caster and camber. I have used both-bolts are cheaper and you can install them right away. Plates you will have to pull the front struts and install them.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Fair question, so I will try to answer it as best I can. I purchased my 2011 used from a private party. I looked up the original paper work and the Roush suspension (ROU-421156) lowers the front and rear by 1". This is ok, and that is all I am looking to do. No adjusting.

The implication from the Ford tech is that I need the bolts because my car is lowered. Without the bolts then it is causing wear on the inner edge of one tire.

I know an alignment is necessary, but I am not sure that I need to spend $227 for bolts. If I can get 1 more year out of the tire set I have now with just an alignment, then I plan to purchase the 4C from Circle D and a performance tune.

Else, I will spend it on an alignment and a new tires and rims set first. I don't like the staggered formation I have and the rims are scuffed from the original owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If its only lowered 1 inch then you shouldn't need camber plates or bolts....

Take it to an alignment shop, not Ford. Ford wants you to spend money on stuff from them and then charge you for their labor.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
With only an inch lower you should be able to adjust your alignment enough to reduce tire wear without bolts or plates. You may get a bit from the neg camber (-1.2 -1.3) but not enough to ruin tires. I lowered mine and with camber plates put my alignment back to original specs. Two weeks ago (new rims and tires) said the hell with the tires and set my front tires at -1.6 camber and the car handles so much better on mountain runs or the track. If you have a Kaufman Tire you can pay $150.00 or so for unlimited alignments. This way you can align the car and see where you end up. If it is terrible then add bolts and re-align it. Did you say the alignment kit (bolts) are $227? That is stupid for a couple of bolts.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Firestone/Bridgestone offers a lifetime alignment for $169.

I suspect that the alignment was all I needed. My eyeballometer was telling me for the last few months, but I have been ignoring it.

I only put 14k miles since I bought it, so its a bummer that I need to spend money on it, but an alignment is not that expensive.

The summary Ford gave me was "install camber bolts while doing alignment" for $227. The alignment is another $89. Given that it is only one tire I am hesitant that it is simply due to the lowering of the car.

I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish, yet I don't want to piss away money either.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I just had my front end aligned last Saturday since the springs settled in. Handed them camber bolts when I dropped off the car, they gave them back to me when I returned. Not required. Lucky me.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

$227 for camber bolts is ridiculous. There like $30 on AmericanMuscle.com
Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
Road Trip!

The price for the camber bolts includes labor. I presume $75/hr, maybe $100/hr.

Related question.

The front tires are 20x8.5 and the rear is 20x9.5. I am looking to eliminate the staggered tires and go 18x9 all around due to the cost and availability (and hopefully a smoother ride).

I am not keen on offset, so is there a way to know what tires will fit a particular car? I am not sure if I am asking this question correctly.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Moral of the story........

Don't listen to Ford. Take it to an actual alignment shop.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGeneration View Post

Related question.

The front tires are 20x8.5 and the rear is 20x9.5. I am looking to eliminate the staggered tires and go 18x9 all around due to the cost and availability (and hopefully a smoother ride).

I am not keen on offset, so is there a way to know what tires will fit a particular car? I am not sure if I am asking this question correctly.

$200 worth of labor for what tho? To put the camber bolts on? Even if the $230 includes bolts & putting them on & the alignment that is still way too much! Buy the bolts urself..put them on urself & just pay for an alignment at an alignment shop not ford!

As far as tires go u want to find a tire that's gonna fit the width of ur wheels & try to keep the overall diameter of ur oem tires.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Road Trip!

I just got off the phone with a technician from Roush. I explained I have the Roush suspension that lowers the car 1" in the front and rear (there is another one that does 1/2" in front and rear).

He informed me that Roush adheres to Ford's specs. He told me there may be a little bit negative with the camber, but it will still be in OEM spec.

He also said, personally, he does not prefer the bolts.

So, I believe I will simply get the alignment.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cool Twisty's

Quote:

Related question.

The widest tires on an 18x9" rim is 275 & I run 275/40/18's.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Believe it or not a good alignment tech can loosen your stock strut mount bolt and there is enough play to make the adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
$200 worth of labor for what tho? To put the camber bolts on? Even if the $230 includes bolts & putting them on & the alignment that is still way too much!
You got me. I understand the need for labor, but it reminds me of Firestone asking $75 to change the cabin air filter in my Civic. A 5 minute job.

I don't know how much labor is actually required. Swap out the bolts and then an alignment for a grand total of $317+tax.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I just had my front end aligned last Saturday since the springs settled in. Handed them camber bolts when I dropped off the car, they gave them back to me when I returned. Not required. Lucky me.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

I have a Eibach Sportline drop of 2" and 1.8" in the front. Camber was -1.9 and -1.8 with no bolts or plates. Caster was spot on and toe was adjusted very slightly.

All mustangs are different I guess and I suppose you and I got lucky. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I put on the Eibach Sportline, 2" drop in the rear and 1.4" in the front. I've got a 14 with TrakPak and had 19" Brembo wheels if that makes a difference. When I lowered the car I took it to Ford and it's within Ford's Spec, The Specs read; Camber for a 13/14 is -1.5 to 0.0, mine was at -1.2, Caster is 6.4 to 7.9 and mine was at 7.8(on the high side but still within spec) and toe in is 0.00 to 0.40, mine was at 0.20.
Since it's only one wheel I suggest like everyone else that you've got an alignment issue..............you don't need the bolt nor the plate..........obviously that Ford dealer needs to get someone that knows something about front end alignment.
I don't know if you have any Les Schwab Tire centers in your area, but if you take your car in and have them check the alignment and if it's within factory spec they won't charge you, my local Ford dealer didn't charge me either....mine was within Spec................
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I put on the Eibach Sportline, 2" drop in the rear and 1.4" in the front. I've got a 14 with TrakPak and had 19" Brembo wheels if that makes a difference. When I lowered the car I took it to Ford and it's within Ford's Spec, The Specs read; Camber for a 13/14 is -1.5 to 0.0, mine was at -1.2, Caster is 6.4 to 7.9 and mine was at 7.8(on the high side but still within spec) and toe in is 0.00 to 0.40, mine was at 0.20.
Since it's only one wheel I suggest like everyone else that you've got an alignment issue..............you don't need the bolt nor the plate..........obviously that Ford dealer needs to get someone that knows something about front end alignment.
I don't know if you have any Les Schwab Tire centers in your area, but if you take your car in and have them check the alignment and if it's within factory spec they won't charge you, my local Ford dealer didn't charge me either....mine was within Spec................
Thanks. Given everyone's inputs and my discussion with Roush, I am going to pass on the camber bolts. I will get an alignment.

If anyone is interested, I found Ford's specs for the alignment which I tired to attach (it's a PDF).
Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Thanks. Given everyone's inputs and my discussion with Roush, I am going to pass on the camber bolts. I will get an alignment.

If anyone is interested, I found Ford's specs for the alignment which I tired to attach (it's a PDF).

The spec's I gave came directly off Wilson Motors new $500k digital alignment machine, it gives you a nice color spread sheet
with initial readings, Ford Spec's for min/max, then a final....and since they are a Ford Dealer I'm not sure I'd trust anyone else with my Mustang. I know the parts manager and he and I go back to the late 60's and both did a lot of racing together.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Road Trip!

This is a picture of the passenger tire where it was "recommended to have camber bolts" installed by Ford.

I had the alignment done today, not at Ford. The toe was out.

I'm going to keep an eye on it, but for now my money will be spent on the torque converter and tune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-14 14.47.09.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	173547  
Old 01-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #21

Region: Alabama
Quote:
This is a picture of the passenger tire where it was "recommended to have camber bolts" installed by Ford.

I had the alignment done today, not at Ford. The toe was out.

I'm going to keep an eye on it, but for now my money will be spent on the torque converter and tune.

Since it wasn't a dramatic drop, you should be just fine with the alignment. Just keep an eye on it in the meantime.

If you do end up needing the camber bolts in the future, go for the Ford bolts instead of the Eibach. They are a lot more money than the Eibach ones, but they are worth it.

Evil_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

go for the Ford bolts instead of the Eibach. They are a lot more money than the Eibach ones, but they are worth it.

[/QUOTE]

Ahh, top shelf for camber bolts but the gutter when it comes to rims. Just a general observation.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #23

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
go for the Ford bolts instead of the Eibach. They are a lot more money than the Eibach ones, but they are worth it.
Ahh, top shelf for camber bolts but the gutter when it comes to rims. Just a general observation.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app[/QUOTE]

Anything to keep the wheels actually on the car is good with me.

Evil_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You got me. I understand the need for labor, but it reminds me of Firestone asking $75 to change the cabin air filter in my Civic. A 5 minute job.

I don't know how much labor is actually required. Swap out the bolts and then an alignment for a grand total of $317+tax.

Call SVU man there trying to rape u! Lmao.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT