So I asked ford about painting my louvers... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
So I asked ford about painting my louvers...

I have the the cobra jet louvers and they are acting like they would be hard to paint because I wanted part of the louvers so I can see through. They said it would be better if I painted then fully one color.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Wanted them to look like this on the inside.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1421179376061.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	173490  
Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Wanted them to look like this on the inside.
...as they should look. Go to an aftermarket shop.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Time to find someone else, those louvers come with pre-cut masks for painting. Just make sure whoever does them uses black primer as you'll see that color from the inside.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. They pissed me off because I've seen other people on this board get theirs done at Ford. Makes me wonder what makes these ****s so different. He said something about there paint being some type of water base or some ****. Then he had the nerve to suggest maaco. I'm on Fort Carson and if I had the skill I'd used the paint booth at the auto carft shop and paint them myself.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Lol said to check our maaco and get stage two paint or some crap. I'm going to check a aftermarket shop like suggested.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Man I'm reading reviews about the shops in the area and they're looking pretty ****ty.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
is there another dealership you could try?
gamecock426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock426 View Post
is there another dealership you could try?
I see two other ford dealers but there owned by the same guy.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

I was going to have black primer used, then painted and clear coated.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just cause it's the same owner doesn't mean you will get the same service. Different dealer most likely different service manager.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Just cause it's the same owner doesn't mean you will get the same service. Different dealer most likely different service manager.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
I'll try to check the others out today. Problem is all of them close at 5pm. I'm military and I don't even get off until 5pm most of the time. Then they're closed on weekends. It's crazy because you have Fort Carson on one side and Peterson Air Force Base on the other. You'd think they would stay open to at least 6pm or 7pm just because there is so much military here. Hell or be open for a few hours on the weekends because that's when when 99% of us are off duty. They're are a lot of people who don't like leaving their car with companies unless we really have to, I'm one of them. Especially since I just got here and I don't know jack **** about these companies.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Try calling the next Ford dealership, ask for the body shop, and talk to the body shop manager. Explain what you want, and see what he/she says. Of course they will most likely want to see the part in question that is to be painted, but by calling first and talking over the phone, you can get an idea as to if they even want to do the work.

Unfortunately for us that want some small paint work done, many paint shops make their money on collision repair, paid by insurance companies. Your louver paint job will tie up their painter and a booth for lets say an hour. And to be reasonable to you, they will charge a few hours labor, plus material costs. A collision repair nets them much more money, and for the same amount of time. This may be why other shops have given you the answers you got; they simply don't want to tie up their painters or booth for a small job.

Because an owner has several locations doesn't mean all the locations go by the "same rules". Give the other Ford body shops a call.

Good luck; let us know the outcome. And as always, myself and Mustang Evolution thank you for serving.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I installed the Silverhorse louvers in this car and did it all my self even paint. It is NOT that hard. You know you can buy them pre-painted too.
If you want to DIY it here is what I did.
1) they come with masks
2) Buy this kit with your paint code that matches your car- Sterling Grey Metallic = UJ

3) Apply the masks, clean prep the louver and follow the kit instructions for prep and paint
4) Get the install kit from Silverhorse Racing and install the louvers

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Also, you may want to tape over the areas/ apply masks ahead of time that you don't want painted yourself. This is potentially a time consuming part of the job.

1. It makes their job easier, so all they have to do is paint.
2. You can take your time and do it right.
3. It should save your some money.

So when you bring them a part that is all ready to paint they may look at it & think "ok its easy", and charge you less.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I installed the Silverhorse louvers in this car and did it all my self even paint. It is NOT that hard. You know you can buy them pre-painted too.
If you want to DIY it here is what I did.
1) they come with masks
2) Buy this kit with your paint code that matches your car- Sterling Grey Metallic = UJ

3) Apply the masks, clean prep the louver and follow the kit instructions for prep and paint
4) Get the install kit from Silverhorse Racing and install the louvers

I might go this route. I've done everything else to my car myself so why not.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I was interested in getting these louvers but was curious can the original glass be reinstalled? And can the clear portions be tinted?

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ yes but the louvers COME tinted, not clear. If you want to tint them further, it would be super easy. Tint the inside just as you would glass.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm going to hit up Walmart today for that kit. How many coats of primer, base and clear coat did you apply?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^^^ yes but the louvers COME tinted, not clear. If you want to tint them further, it would be super easy. Tint the inside just as you would glass.

Awesome! How hard would it be to reinstall the original glass at a later time of I had too.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I laid out the pre cut mask pieces, cleaned and prepped the surface.
Applied one coat primer, lightly sanded, applied two coats of the metallic base coat.
Applied two coats clear, sanded, applied another clear coat, used 1000 grit and then polished. I use SprayMax 2K Glamour Clear though. It is a two part clear coat spray that is pricey but worth every penny.
USC Spray Max 2K Glamor High Gloss Clear Spray Can 3680061 Aerosol | eBay
Old 01-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I found a custom shop that would do it for $100. I saw his other work and it was damn good. Said they should be done tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Also did you use an adhesive or 3M tape to mount yours?

Old 01-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Is there any other kits that I can buy locally to remove the window? I want to do this while I have time on this four day weekend. I maybe deploying in late Feb so I'm trying to get this done with the limited time I have.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

You can't mount these with 3M tape. You need to use 3M Window adheasive Sealer:

Once you remove your glass, trim down the left over adhesive that is on the metal from the glass being mounted with a single edge razor blade. MAKE SURE you run a good REALLY THICK bead so you get a good seal.
Press down this louver until it is flush with your body panel and then use masking tape to hold it in place and centered until the adhesive drys.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can't mount these with 3M tape. You need to use 3M Window adheasive Sealer:

Once you remove your glass, trim down the left over adhesive that is on the metal from the glass being mounted with a single edge razor blade. MAKE SURE you run a good REALLY THICK bead so you get a good seal.
Press down this louver until it is flush with your body panel and then use masking tape to hold it in place and centered until the adhesive drys.
Where did you buy this? I went to advance auto and they had this. I didn't buy it because I want the same thing you used.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1421285891720.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	173563  
Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Silverhorse Racing has everything. Window removal kit as well as the install items. Here is what I used:
Apply this to the louver where your bead of adhesive goes

3M One-Step Adhesion Promoter - SilverHorse Racing

Here is the window adhesive
3M Urethane Window Sealer - SilverHorse Racing

Here is the glass removal kit
Window Removal Kit - SilverHorse Racing

You prob can find just a cable saw to remove the window if you want to save a few $ but this kit is top notch. Makes the window removal a piece of cake
Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Can you buy any of this locally because there is no way it will get here before the weekend is over. Wish everything didn't have to be ordered online.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I am sure in any decent size city you can find this stuff. The 3M adhesive you have looks like it should work. Use Methyl Ethyl Ketone MEK to prep the surfaces before applying the adhesive. You MUST have a cable saw (I think Home Depot should have something similar) to remove your glass.
You Double up Masking tape around your windows. Use a cable saw by starting on the small end of the glass. Start pulling back and forth and towards the front of the car in a sawing motion with both hands. The cable saw will cut through it in no time at all. Either have someone catch or hold the glass when you are finishing on the end at a corner.
I used a single edge razor to trim some of the left over adhesive down to where I only left about 1/8" on the steel. I prepped that area and applied REALLY THICK bead over that and make sure it covers all the way around with no gaps.
Have your louver prepped and place it in the opening and press it down until it is flush with the body panel.
Tape it in place and it will dry in less than an hour.

You do need to slightly trim the back two interior wheel well panels about 1/4" You will never notice it even if you go back in with glass. I marked it off and buzzed it off with a dremel type tool. We are used to taking those panels off because we have done a speaker replacement and other interior mods. If you havent removed them before, it seems like a lot of work and takes longer if you have never removed them. It just takes some experience on how to quickly remove them. Second time you do it, the time is cut by 2/3.

Here is a video on how to do it:

Some more pics of the one I did

Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I picked up everything in that kit for less that $40 except the damn adhesive promoter. I can't find it anywhere.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Just use MEK. Make SURE you dont let it bleed over to the front and mess with your paint/clear. You should be alright
Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

You got lucky with the "scratch wizard" paint Deerslayer! I have a Kona Blue 2012 GT and I used their base coat/clear coat on a bumper and it was WAY off... Yours tuned out nice though, looks like an exact match.
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just use MEK. Make SURE you dont let it bleed over to the front and mess with your paint/clear. You should be alright

With proper installation are there any worries those louvers will leak overtime. I'd love to have those but just worried over the course of time.

Rollin' in my 5.0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT