3.55 Gear Upgrade worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

3.55 Gear Upgrade worth it?

Hey guys I just saw 3.55 gear on clearance on AM and was wondering if I were to install them on my 2014 GT with Track Pack (I think it's 3.73 gears) if I were to notice a difference. Thank you for the advice in advance! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421205383.198359.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	173502

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
JamesAlvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
What difference are you looking to make exactly? Or in other words, what do you think going from 3.73 to 3.55 will do for you?

Also, stick to Ford Racing gears.
DiESeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
What difference are you looking to make exactly? Or in other words, what do you think going from 3.73 to 3.55 will do for you?

Also, stick to Ford Racing gears.

"Wake Up Your Pony. Installing a set of steeper gears is a great way to get your Mustang into the power band quicker for improved low end torque and faster acceleration off the line."

This is what it says and just wondering how much different it really is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

your track pack 3.73s are steeper than 3.55. if you're looking for the low end torque/faster acceleration, you'd be downgrading your mustang by swapping to 3.55s.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
your track pack 3.73s are steeper than 3.55. if you're looking for the low end torque/faster acceleration, you'd be downgrading your mustang by swapping to 3.55s.

This is why I'm glad I asked! Thanks man... Just trying to figure out an upgrade to help the HP or Low end Torque

Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure what your performance mods are but a custom tune is always a good place to start.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
what have you done to your mustang so far?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution5.0 View Post
what have you done to your mustang so far?

Just cosmetic stuff so I wanted to start with engine or gear work

Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
i would get a tune if i were you at the very least, it'll wake your car up quite a lot. what are your plans for the car?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've got a 14 TrakPak car with manual trans and can tell you that it is like night and day having a tune vs. stock. That should be the first thing you do to your car to help performance. I think a good tune is worth about 20rwhp.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What they said CAI and Aluminum drive line.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak 14 View Post
What they said CAI and Aluminum drive line.
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I think for the Coyote motor a CAI is a waste of money.
When I first joined this site my experience with CAI's was limited to a 97 SVT Cobra and my tow vehicles for my drag car. In all three of the vehicles the CAI made a big difference, in both performance and gas mileage.
My 14 TrakPak car has an Airaid CAI with SCT tuner (I bought it used with 2700 miles and it came with the CAI/tuner) and when I took it into the dealer for service work I took the tune out. When I took the tune out of the car it was not very responsive, just lacked the get-up-go it had before I took the tune out. On my way back home after the service work was done I really put my foot in it, and it just didn't have much above 6000rpm where before it would really come on after 6000 and be going strong till 7500rpm. When I let off the throttle the check engine light came on........so I drove home. When I got home I plugged the SCT tuner into the car and came up a code that showed a lean condition on bank #1.......I cleared the code and called and talked with SCT the next morning. They told me that this is sometimes happens when you put a CAI on the car without a tune and that the car may even loose hp/tq with a CAI and stock tune.
I put the tune back in and couldn't be more happy, the car is back to its old self. So, with that said I'd stay with your current stock CAI and maybe put a K&N filter in place of the stock filter and get a tune.
There are a number of people on this site that say an aftermarket CAI is a waste of time..............I am now a believer that you should leave the stock CAI alone, and spend the money on something more useful, like something to make the shifter perform better......blowfish makes a neat support for the stock shifter and also doubles as a drive line hoop when you change to one piece drive line (which is what I am going to as soon as my Shaftmasters drive line gets here) which is really needed once you dispose of the two piece drive line.............IMHO
Old 01-15-2015, 02:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You are right about CAI will make the check light come on if it is set up for tune. I also have Airaid and it came with reducer for going back to stock. I have shaftmasters also great piece as for the shifter its a little more money but I would check out MGW before I spend money on blowfish. Shifter comes complete very precision made and give forum discount.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak 14 View Post
You are right about CAI will make the check light come on if it is set up for tune. I also have Airaid and it came with reducer for going back to stock. I have shaftmasters also great piece as for the shifter its a little more money but I would check out MGW before I spend money on blowfish. Shifter comes complete very precision made and give forum discount.
Yes, I just didn't realize the Coyote motor responded so differently than any other motor I've had, even the 4.6l DOHC.
I'll give Blowfish a try, and thought that since I needed a driveline hoop anyway we will see how much of difference it will make along with the Whiteline transmission mount.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 14 gt with roush CAI. BBK 85mm throttle body Roush axel backs and resonator delete. No tune done. And I have no dash lights on. So I guess buy the good stuff no issues.

Sent from SlayerTodd
slayertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayertodd View Post
I have a 14 gt with roush CAI. BBK 85mm throttle body Roush axel backs and resonator delete. No tune done. And I have no dash lights on. So I guess buy the good stuff no issues.

Sent from SlayerTodd
Not quite. All of that stuff is "no tune required" which means you get some gains but not the most. The items that are "tune required" will actually net slightly larger gains because they go bigger per say. In the cause of a cai the maf housing will usually be larger. So the "good stuff" would in fact be the items that DO require a tune.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

Region: New Jersey
man im so back and forth about getting a CAI and tuner combo from american muscle. should i just get the tuner and maybe a couple of cosmetic pieces?
Leebunnyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebunnyz View Post
man im so back and forth about getting a CAI and tuner combo from american muscle. should i just get the tuner and maybe a couple of cosmetic pieces?
Skip the CAI and get a good quality tune.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
Skip the CAI and get a good quality tune.
thanks again! lol
Leebunnyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
Skip the CAI and skip Bama and get a good quality tune.
Agreed
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would get the tuner and an off road x pipe, both pieces gain hp unlike the CAI, plus improved sound.
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I went the tuner and x pipe route and could not be happier.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What kind of x pipe did you go with ?

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Whoever mentioned the Blowfish bracket, those are now obsolete due to the MGW race spec.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

,JLT oil sep,UPR o/r x pipe,Flowmaster Force II muffler
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Whoever mentioned the Blowfish bracket, those are now obsolete due to the MGW race spec.
I'm not going for a racing shifter, just to clean up the shifts plus it will serve a hoop with the 1 piece ShaftMasters driveline.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I'm not going for a racing shifter, just to clean up the shifts plus it will serve a hoop with the 1 piece ShaftMasters driveline.
Its not a "racing" shifter. Read up on it/look at how it works vs other shifters that keep the stock bottom half. Its the only shifter that replaces the limp noodle stock linkage. You can get a DS loop by itself.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its not a "racing" shifter. Read up on it/look at how it works vs other shifters that keep the stock bottom half. Its the only shifter that replaces the limp noodle stock linkage. You can get a DS loop by itself.
Although I appreciate your opinion I have read about it, and for me the Whiteline trans mount and the revised "street version" of the Blowfish will do fine for me.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Whatever floats your boat. Just know that no matter what you do you'll always have the limp noodle stock linkage which the MGW Race Spec completely replaces with a custom machined piece.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT