New Takata 4 point harnesses - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
New Takata 4 point harnesses

Click image for larger version

Name:	1421259696654.jpg
Views:	1770
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	173524
Just bought Takata belts for my 2012 GT. Its incredible how well they strap you into your seat. Definitely recommend them for people who track there stangs

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1421259713089.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	173525  
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just a thought, you are buying 4 point belts from the manufacturer that made all of the millions of defective air bags????
Second is that if these harnesses attach to the original seat belt floor points and you are ever in an accident you could break your neck or back. These are very unsafe anywhere except sitting in your garage or driveway unless you have one of these;

Results for B pillar harness - AmericanMuscle.com

Without this an accident could seriously hurt yourself or more importantly your passenger.............seriously. You really need a 5 point to keep you from sliding forward............a 4 point in a crash is somewhat useless.

I not just blowing smoke, what you have there is dangerous..............and this comes from experience in drag racing and SCCA racing............plus I am a Tech Inspector for the SCCA and can guaranty your car would never be allowed on any SCCA owned track or inspected by an SCCA Tech.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just a thought, you are buying 4 point belts from the manufacturer that made all of the millions of defective air bags????
Second is that if these harnesses attach to the original seat belt floor points and you are ever in an accident you could break your neck or back. These are very unsafe anywhere except sitting in your garage or driveway unless you have one of these;

Results for B pillar harness - AmericanMuscle.com

Without this an accident could seriously hurt yourself or more importantly your passenger.............seriously. You really need a 5 point to keep you from sliding forward............a 4 point in a crash is somewhat useless.

I not just blowing smoke, what you have there is dangerous..............and this comes from experience in drag racing and SCCA racing............plus I am a Tech Inspector for the SCCA and can guaranty your car would never be allowed on any SCCA owned track or inspected by an SCCA Tech.
Hell they hired me! I wouldn't trust them!!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yea i gotta agree with above.

Takata just recently was shown to have produced millions of defective air bags in almost every single car manufacturer you can think of over the past decade. Not good PR.

And yea you need to have the harnesses mounted to either A) a proper Harness Bar. Or B) into the back seats. They need to be at a horizontal angle after they cross over your shoulders or like said above you can break your neck or back in a bad accident.

Also where the seat mounts isn't too strong, now you are adding even more strain on the bottom of the seat bracket. Get into too bad of an accident and hope your seat doesn't completely uplift itself from the floor.

Since the whole air bag thing was on a mass production scale i'm sure the harnesses are just fine since i've seen a lot of other guys use them. But definitely look into getting a real harness bar for them. And soon.

Let me go take some pictures of my set up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

I guess my other question would be are they SFI or FAI cert'd???
If not all they are is "eye candy"..............IMHO
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I like them. don't let the haters hate cus none of them even got recaros

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I guess my other question would be are they SFI or FAI cert'd???
If not all they are is "eye candy"..............IMHO

Will still be able to use them at autocrosses and mountain diving. Just not higher level racing.

Mine are approved but I've never even seen them check. And the tags came off (still have them).

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post

Recaros are for posers.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Recaros are for posers.

Now your calling the OP a poser. Great job. MOD.

Don't be mad because you can't afford it....

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Here are mine
Attachment 173533

Here are mine

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421264011.955649.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	173534

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421264030.122595.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	173535

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421264044.539184.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	173536

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post

I've got Recaro's in my 14 but that's not the point(wish I had Leather Recaro's instead of cloth though)..........those 4point harnesses are dangerous to your health if you are ever in an accident!
Ole saying is, "DIRTFooT", Do It Right The First Time. Putting poorly engineered crap on your car is just plain dumb.....IMHO
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Here are mine
Attachment 173534
Attachment 173535
Attachment 173536

Not trying to be critical with your install because it looks really nice. You need to wrap the belt around the bar twice, not just once.................just my NHRA/SCCA up bring and the rule books.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

New Takata 4 point harnesses

Quote:
Not trying to be critical with your install because it looks really nice. You need to wrap the belt around the bar twice, not just once.................just my NHRA/SCCA up bring and the rule books.

Hmm didn't know that. I just found instructions for the wrap around method online and that's how they did it. Easy fix, the hardest part for me is mainly finding the right amount of slack to put over the seat.

I've only ever done autocross, so speeds of like 60mph tops. I'm assuming the double wrap is for like if there is a collision the belt is more secure.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I see the OP has my responded. I hope he's not mad and thinks you all are haters because some great advice was given here. Also to the cat that said peoe are hating because they don't have recaros you are a idiot. People are trying to save this man and maybe a passengers life and you think they care about him have some seats. It's not about that at all. I'll always ask advice on here before I buy anything. There's a wealth of knowledge on this board.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have a question.... I have 4 point.... But to me it seems like the 5th belt would do anything differently than a regular 3 point seat belt. Like how would the strap that goes between you legs keep you from slipping under more so that a regular sear belt?

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
I have a question.... I have 4 point.... But to me it seems like the 5th belt would do anything differently than a regular 3 point seat belt. Like how would the strap that goes between you legs keep you from slipping under more so that a regular sear belt?

Remember the reason we didn't put the 5th point into mine? Lol

It's not terribly comfortable for Jr down there

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

If you take a close look at the 4 point harness, two straps going down over the shoulders, and two straps, one coming from each side and connect at your waist..........there is nothing to keep you from sliding forward along the seat back/cushion (called submarining) towards the front of the car. Believe me when I say when you strap yourself in a race car (NHRA/SCCA), you want those belts so tight that you can't move............and if you hit something at speed you will slide if you don't have a 5 point harness.
Just a side note is that most purpose built race cars have a minimum of 5 point or 6 point harnesses like NASCAR. My old drag car was built in 1979 and had a 5 point harness........and at that time is was only a low 10 second car.
I'm not trying to be an #$shole here, just trying to make sure you guys understand that although a 4 point harness may look neat, it really is not going to protect you in a crash like a 5 point will. This is not my opinion, it is a proven fact and the reason SCCA mandates their use, just like the Hans device..........they save lives...............period!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Remember the reason we didn't put the 5th point into mine? Lol

It's not terribly comfortable for Jr down there

Yes, I agree it isn't very comfortable for Mr. P, but after racing an 18 turn 3.7mile course for 45 minutes that is the least of your worries......and besides that's why a lot of race car drivers in NHRA, SCCA, and NASCAR wear "cups".............you want all of the protection you can get...........especially when you are young like most of you guys.........being old like me at 70, well...if I was to go that would be one of my preferred ways behind the wheel of car coming into turn 1 at 130+ at Thunderhill Raceway.....and maybe one other which we won't talk about here.
So, if that's holding you back..............go out and put a 5 point system in......................now!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

lol, i plan to eventually put the 5th lower point in. Main reason i didn't before was because there was really nowhere to mount it to. When i get my nice race seat i'll put it in.

My friend actually missed turn 1 at Thunderhill in his Firebird, but he wasn't going anywhere near 130mph lol. Now just don't freak me out about Sonoma lol.

In autocross i don't particularly plan to get into a crash since you are just dodging cones in an empty lot. So far only having the 4 points in it currently, it has done well holding me in.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

I still refer to Sonoma as Sears Point, that's how old I am. You want to freak you out.........try coming into turn #11 at 100 with 3 other cars around you and trying to pass them so you can get to the finish line first............or how about flat out going through turn 8 Esses..........I've see a lot of accidents at 11, and trying to pass in the Esses it almost a sure accident. Love Sears Point and Thunderhill but Laguna Seca is my favorite.
So, like Larry The Cable Guy says, "Get Her Done"!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Im not comparing 4-5 im comparing 4- stock seat belts i get the point of the lower belt haha I just dont see how a 4 point (if adjusted properly) will keep you from submarining any more than the regular seat belt does

Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I still refer to Sonoma as Sears Point, that's how old I am. You want to freak you out.........try coming into turn #11 at 100 with 3 other cars around you and trying to pass them so you can get to the finish line first............or how about flat out going through turn 8 Esses..........I've see a lot of accidents at 11, and trying to pass in the Esses it almost a sure accident. Love Sears Point and Thunderhill but Laguna Seca is my favorite.
So, like Larry The Cable Guy says, "Get Her Done"!

I hope to do all 3 within the next year. Track days are expensive though. Not very college student budget

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Im not comparing 4-5 im comparing 4- stock seat belts i get the point of the lower belt haha I just dont see how a 4 point (if adjusted properly) will keep you from submarining any more than the regular seat belt does

Ok, maybe I didn't get the question. If you are comparing a 4 point harness vs. a stock 3 point safety belt it totally depends on how the 4 point is attached to the car............if a 4 point is attached at the same anchors as the original OE, then the 4 point becomes very dangerous in an crash and can break your neck or back.
As far as a 4 point keeping you in your seat "without submarining", it won't do much better than the factory OE 3 point, but again, it depends on how the 4 point is mounted.
Like I mentioned before, a 4 point harness mounted to the same location as the original OE belts is not much more than eye candy.
Like you're 68, I bought my son a 67 4spd with upper/lower consoles 16 years ago...........love the 67/68's.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, maybe I didn't get the question. If you are comparing a 4 point harness vs. a stock 3 point safety belt it totally depends on how the 4 point is attached to the car............if a 4 point is attached at the same anchors as the original OE, then the 4 point becomes very dangerous in an crash and can break your neck or back.
As far as a 4 point keeping you in your seat "without submarining", it won't do much better than the factory OE 3 point, but again, it depends on how the 4 point is mounted.
Like I mentioned before, a 4 point harness mounted to the same location as the original OE belts is not much more than eye candy.
Like you're 68, I bought my son a 67 4spd with upper/lower consoles 16 years ago...........love the 67/68's.

What is the proper way to mount the 4 point then? Haha mine are in the stock mounting location

Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Not being critical here, just trying to make sure you live to be my age..........someday.
Take a look at the video on installing the Corbeau seats and also the Corbeau harness bar. I'm not sure if anyone makes a harness bar for your car, but I don't think it would be too hard to make one yourself............you're a young guy and if you don't have the skills to do this you should be able to find someone who can show you how to get it done.
Just click on the video link...........

Corbeau Mustang Harness Bar Silver Coupe/Hatchback 1979-1993
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I just wish those FX1 seats were FIA compliant. I'd rather spend $320 on a seat instead of $1100 like the Cobra seat i want is.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not being critical here, just trying to make sure you live to be my age..........someday.
Take a look at the video on installing the Corbeau seats and also the Corbeau harness bar. I'm not sure if anyone makes a harness bar for your car, but I don't think it would be too hard to make one yourself............you're a young guy and if you don't have the skills to do this you should be able to find someone who can show you how to get it done.
Just click on the video link...........

Corbeau Mustang Harness Bar Silver Coupe/Hatchback 1979-1993

No by all means I want a safe car. I drive my family and girlfriend around this car the last thing i want to happen is for them to get injured or killed do a faulty install on my part. I just assumed that if its good enough for stock seat belts it'll be fine for my car.

Anyways I actually use to have a roll/harness bar but i sold it for triple what i made it for. It was pretty easy to make just wanted to re make it and haven't gotten too it yet

Old 01-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Holy my thread got molested. The belts are only dry fitted in. My stang is in storage now and I was bored so I just mounted them in temporarily to see what they looked like and felt before I get my corbeau seat belt bar. My friends have already warned me how dangerous incorrectly installed harness can be. Thabk you guys again for you great knowledge. Im aware about Takatas air bag recalls as well

GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
Holy my thread got molested. The belts are only dry fitted in. My stang is in storage now and I was bored so I just mounted them in temporarily to see what they looked like and felt before I get my corbeau seat belt bar. My friends have already warned me how dangerous incorrectly installed harness can be. Thabk you guys again for you great knowledge. Im aware about Takatas air bag recalls as well

Yeah sorry about that haha

Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
I just wish those FX1 seats were FIA compliant. I'd rather spend $320 on a seat instead of $1100 like the Cobra seat i want is.
To make the FX1 compliant, you just need a large plate bolted to the back of the seat with a structural member that goes from there to the roll bar. I see a lot of people competing in SCCA/NASA/WTAC Time Trial like that.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
To make the FX1 compliant, you just need a large plate bolted to the back of the seat with a structural member that goes from there to the roll bar. I see a lot of people competing in SCCA/NASA/WTAC Time Trial like that.

Good to know. I just put them in and really like them

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433001257.029841.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	183744

HID end all thread
Old 05-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Now where's that ghetto chick Laquisha that said people were hating? Lol.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

A friend runs that seat setup, I will upload a picture of what you need to do to be compliant next time I see him.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Thanks. Although I don't plan to do any competition like that for at least a few years. Just getting into track days right now.

HID end all thread
Old 06-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Takata harness? Hopefully it doesn't explode...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT