Flashing check engine light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Flashing check engine light

Something really weird happened to me while driving home from a friends house tonight. I was driving in fourth gear around 40 miles an hour when I downshifted into second and rev matched to around 4100 rpms. I didn't accelerate I just kept going at that speed and almost instantaneously my check engine light started flashing. Any ideas as to what it might be? I know that sometimes it has to do with misfires but this was weird. Only have an AEM CAI and roush axle back exhaust. Thanks

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Check this TSB out and the OPs similar problem...sounds just like yours.

2013 gt flashing engine light
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Flashing CEL = engine misfire. Mine did the same thing, and the misfires (which could be felt), would occur at part throttle higher rpm cruising, or when rev matching. In my case it was related to a TSB concerning the crank position sensor. Covered under warranty by Ford, and the problem has not returned.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If the check engine light doesn't stay on afterwards FORD will just tell you that there is nothing wrong with it. It happens very rarely to me anymore after a TSB "fixed it" but has still happened more than once it just doesn't register a code anymore.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Check this TSB out and the OPs similar problem...sounds just like yours.

2013 gt flashing engine light

I'm sorry but when I click it says no post lol so can someone in a nut shell explain what this TSB is. Because I should not have gotten a misfire yesterday because I didn't even get on it hard lol. Is all it really is just a code that says the car misfires?

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 01-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Worked for me....

This article supersedes TSB 12-12-8 to update the Service Procedure.ISSUE:

Some 2013 Mustang vehicles built on or before 11/30/2012 and equipped with a 5.0L engine and manual transmission may exhibit a Check Engine Light illuminated accompanied by any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 stored in continuous memory only. Additionally, there will be no apparent driveability symptoms present and no DTCs present which are not listed.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using IDS, perform self test on the powertrain control module (PCM) to check for both continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (CMDTCs) and key on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 are present in KOER and/or a driveability concern, such as cylinder misfire, is present, this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
If any DTCs P0300 - P0308 are present in continuous memory and there is no discernible driveability concern, verify if misfire conditions were at RPMs between 3500-4200 RPM, with a load of less than 0.25 using IDS OBD II freeze frame data and/or use IDS datalogger and view MFF_RPM, and MFF_LOAD PIDS (datalogger->modules->PCM).
If these conditions were met then reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 82.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
If not proceed to Step 2.
Using IDS, perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Worked for me....

This article supersedes TSB 12-12-8 to update the Service Procedure.ISSUE:

Some 2013 Mustang vehicles built on or before 11/30/2012 and equipped with a 5.0L engine and manual transmission may exhibit a Check Engine Light illuminated accompanied by any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 stored in continuous memory only. Additionally, there will be no apparent driveability symptoms present and no DTCs present which are not listed.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using IDS, perform self test on the powertrain control module (PCM) to check for both continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (CMDTCs) and key on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 are present in KOER and/or a driveability concern, such as cylinder misfire, is present, this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
If any DTCs P0300 - P0308 are present in continuous memory and there is no discernible driveability concern, verify if misfire conditions were at RPMs between 3500-4200 RPM, with a load of less than 0.25 using IDS OBD II freeze frame data and/or use IDS datalogger and view MFF_RPM, and MFF_LOAD PIDS (datalogger->modules->PCM).
If these conditions were met then reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 82.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
If not proceed to Step 2.
Using IDS, perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Thank you... Must have to do with my phone not loading the page. This is all good to know. So I should just clear the codes and be done with it I suppose?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
yep...if you have tech you can do this yourself...hold buttons 3 and 6 on the radio simultaneously and it'll bring up bezel diagnostics. if you follow the onscreen options there, you can clear dtcs.

I find this handy b/c I have a kill switch for all the nannies routed in when I am at the racetrack and that sets a code whenever I do that, unsurprisingly.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Not positive about this gen stang, but usually a flashing light indicates an emissions problem. Almost always, it is a gas cap that isn't tight. I know our gen has no seperate cap, but maybe u had a bad seal or it wasn't quite closed . Reading the above tsb, I don't read it the same way... I don't see where it says flashing light.
Is it still flashing? Or did it go away at some point?
Troy
Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Not positive about this gen stang, but usually a flashing light indicates an emissions problem. Almost always, it is a gas cap that isn't tight. I know our gen has no seperate cap, but maybe u had a bad seal or it wasn't quite closed . Reading the above tsb, I don't read it the same way... I don't see where it says flashing light.
Is it still flashing? Or did it go away at some point?
Troy

It flashed for about 10 seconds that's it. I parked it right after it happened and woke up and drove 120 miles across the state and no problem at all

Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I had the same problem when I bought my Mustang a couple of months ago..it is modded so Dealership wouldn't touch it... I added the O-ring and the crank position sensor and did the crank position señor relearn with a Procal tool.. no more issues.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
martinzusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinzusmc View Post
I had the same problem when I bought my Mustang a couple of months ago..it is modded so Dealership wouldn't touch it... I added the O-ring and the crank position sensor and did the crank position señor relearn with a Procal tool.. no more issues.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

By modded you mean...?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
By modded you mean...?

It is this. I just went through this with my car. At the time my car was stock except a k and n filter and ford gave me a hard time about that. Just print out the tsb and bring it in. It'll take 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If it is not on, and hasn't returned, I wouldn't sweat it. Betting it was just a passing emissions hiccup. Again, when they flash, it is usually an emissions issue.
Just curious... Whoever had the tsb applied. Was ur light flashing, or solid?
Thx,
Troy
Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
If it is not on, and hasn't returned, I wouldn't sweat it. Betting it was just a passing emissions hiccup. Again, when they flash, it is usually an emissions issue.
Just curious... Whoever had the tsb applied. Was ur light flashing, or solid?
Thx,
Troy
My light flashed when it happened, and then the next time I started my car I had a solid CEL. Took it in and they applied the TSB. It has happened a few times since then (which was 2 years ago now) but I don't get the solid CEL anymore. They update the TSB since then but they wouldn't apply it because it didn't go solid.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
My light flashed when it happened, and then the next time I started my car I had a solid CEL. Took it in and they applied the TSB. It has happened a few times since then (which was 2 years ago now) but I don't get the solid CEL anymore. They update the TSB since then but they wouldn't apply it because it didn't go solid.
Well I just drove my car across the state and back with no problems. So I guess I'm not worried. This is the 2nd time that I've gotten a code so let's hope it won't happen again for a while

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine