Shaun with AED (I've now had both Lund and AED) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Shaun with AED (I've now had both Lund and AED)

Not going to bash Lund at all. Solid guy with a solid tune. Jon Jr knows what he's doing.

Recentally I've decided to try AED. Figure what can go wrong trying 2 of the three top tuners. Shaun is extremely friendly and very open to explain and dumb things down.

So far I have his base tune loaded. Shaun's attention to detail is pretty amazing to be honest. He sees some false knock and wants to chase that down to pull as much from the car as he safely can. He seems to be available by phone on demand.

As far as his base tune - there's is a difference between his and Lund's. I can only really describe it as this. Lund's tune is as powerful, as much so as AEDs in my opinion. However AEDs seems to have a little different feel in drivability. The shifts are hard and the car is an animal but in terms of being compared to Lund's its less abusive. Lund is a Rottweiler, big, mean, and rough vs AED a Doberman, sleek, crisp and sharp. Both are mean and nasty. Its all driver preference.

Both solid tuners. If you're looking for a tune, I've written my experience with both tuners now on these boards and hopefully can help.

Sent from my XT1045 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Is yours an auto or manual? I have Lund tune on my auto, it pretty sluggish on soft throttle/granny driving around tune. However it pulls hard if I floor it, but even then there's slight bit of rough driveability with it. So far 3 tune revisions and it hasn't been nailed yet.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mines an auto.
I never had that with Lund. His tune was pretty intense. That's actually what sparked me to pay for Shaun's after he took a look at some logs. I was being overcautious

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

By intense do you mean your Lund tune was stronger/pulled harder than your aed? What are your mods?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yeah Shaun knows this platform well, he rubs lots of people wrong at times, and they then make threads complaining about him, but the guy can tune
Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What was the price for both tunes.
Also did Lund find the false knock that Shaun did?

12.30 @111mph

For Sale ?
AcmeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lund was $200 if I remember correctly.

Shaun was 275 (plus 75 for ghost cam)

Lund found a false knock but said he was not concerned and left the tune as is.

Shaun found I assume the same false knock and stated it was robbing me about 4-6 degrees of timing in lower RPMs and walked me through what he thought it could be. He's VERY anal which is what I feel im paying extra for. Shaun also could see I was running 6% lean on one bank due to a small exhaust leak. The car is at the shop as I type. Shaun said these are little details but worth fixing.

Its tough to describe difference in feel of the two tunes. I feel Jon's tune is a great tune and its a hard punch in the seat. It just feels like Shaun has some different transmission parameters maybe that delivers a smooth punch. As soon as I get data logged again with fixes I'll be able to give more details.

Shaun did have me data log some stuff Lund did not. So I'm not sure what the differences are. Shaun has even offered to speak to the exhaust shop directly to help. Which I found to be above and beyond. These are just my personal experiences thus far. Again both great tuners but their are some slight differences that could help ppl

Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Nice write up. I also have both although the Lund rune isn't data logged yet (weather changed and got bad) but my experience as far as how the car drives has been same as yours.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Great write up.
it would be nice to see a 1/4 mile comparison

12.30 @111mph

For Sale ?
AcmeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Now you just need the Mike Rousch tune to compare the top 3 auto tunes out there.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Might happen. Basically this is the average uneducated Joe's experience. People always ask what their tunes are like. Well, this is my take.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I will add. Shaun stated that his tune will be right on par with Lund's on the top end but from what he's looking at, he's confident he going to be able to deliver much better bottom end.

He stated that they have refined drive by wire and a lot of time went in to transmission and shifting adjustments.

Interesting also he said no tuner is going to have the same tune. They all put in their little quirks here and there. It becomes down to driver preference because they have really nailed the tunes to a science.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
Shaun also could see I was running 6% lean on one bank due to a small exhaust leak. The car is at the shop as I type.
Please let me know what you find out on the leak. I can tell I add about 6-8 points more fuel under 2K rpms and under stock idle [add long term and short term fuel trims together in my SpreadSheet from the data logs] on my drivers side bank, but the dealer says unless it trips a code and its under 15 points its "manufacturing tolerance." I don't agree but that's just me, every time I stop my short term fuel trim pops up 6-8 point on the drivers side and the other side very little if at all. This was before and after the ford racing tune.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Now you just need the Mike Rousch tune to compare the top 3 auto tunes out there.
My thoughts too!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly the way Shaun sold me on this tune. It may be my last. Not to say Lund isn't good because he is, but this tune already feels more my preference and I haven't logged yet. Hope to do that this weekend

Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've spoken to Shaun and almost went with him and may at some point in the future. I know this, I'm running a Steeda tune and after I data-logged with them and they customer made my tune, it was far superior to the canned tune they sent me.
I'm interested to see your final results and impressions!
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Bama's not one of the top tunes now that they have the V2 tune?
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Bama's not one of the top tunes now that they have the V2 tune?
I don't know about being "top" but it will take time to see their new tunes are going to play out. They're definitely night and day better than the old ones. Will take a while for people to get over anti bama stigma we find on most internet forums.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
VMP for autos... LOL
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I don't know about being "top" but it will take time to see their new tunes are going to play out. They're definitely night and day better than the old ones. Will take a while for people to get over anti bama stigma we find on most internet forums.
yeah you are right, I see a lot of people on the forum have used bama and like them a lot but then complain about them being "canned" tunes and don't match up to Lund or AED or others,,,but if Bamas V2 is any good, it should put them again in the competition. I like the free tunes for life and the customer service.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

There are three kinds of tunes, in increasing order of specificity for your car:

Canned, like Procal
Email, like Bama and many others
Custom, which is dyno tuned.

All can provide successful fun, obviously, they go up in price as well, as you ascend the ladder. Frankly, this and my last car have had cheap true canned tunes and I've gotten really lucky with how they work with my car.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
There are three kinds of tunes, in increasing order of specificity for your car:

Canned, like Procal
Email, like Bama and many others
Custom, which is dyno tuned.

All can provide successful fun, obviously, they go up in price as well, as you ascend the ladder. Frankly, this and my last car have had cheap true canned tunes and I've gotten really lucky with how they work with my car.
I'm interested in the new Bama V2 tune for my first one. I'm waiting to hear more feedback from the people that are using it now. Glad your canned procal tune is working good for you, maybe you have a special mistake engine beast from the factory and your tune woke it up.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It was always on the healthier feeling end of things, true, and the tune really did wake it up. What it does mean when you get lucky like this on canned, there's little incentive to spend money on email or custom. Could have gone differently, of course.

Same thing happened on my last car, Mazdaspeed 3. Canned Hypertech tune managed 300 to the tire, with mods completely unsupported by the tune...that turbo centre section was getting pretty damn hot though, hehe.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
VMP for autos... LOL

Yeah the VMP is pretty dang stout if I don't say so myself. Not many people have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Well if you ran 11.91 on a canned procal tune, then you hit the jackpot prize bro, you are blessed lol. Sometimes cars come from the factory as defects, meaning beasts cause they respond well to the smallest mods. My old man once had a little Maverick Grapper 302 with a 3sp on the tree, Man that freakin car kicked *** all over the town. My dad hated it because he bought it for my mom to use as a grocery getter. I ran that thing hard everytime I got to drive it.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed. Dragstrip math tells me from the mph and weight that's 439 horse at the fly with no other mods except GT500 ABs, through the paper filter and stock cats.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Yeah the VMP is pretty dang stout if I don't say so myself. Not many people have them.

SSSHHHH.... Don't tell everyone, or all the lemmings will jump ship. Lol.

Yeah, I still have a 100 octane version I need to log. Hopefully this week.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I have an old far side cartoon that sums up my view of the world pretty well. Lemmings all charging for the sea with one in the middle with a bathing ring on. That's me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saupload_lemming_with_preserver1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	176978  

Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
SSSHHHH.... Don't tell everyone, or all the lemmings will jump ship. Lol.

Yeah, I still have a 100 octane version I need to log. Hopefully this week.

Ahh that would be awesome. I'm running their 93 octane tune with the stage 2 supercharger.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Aed is truly amazing.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

For a manual 6sp would you recommend AED or Lund... ? I've heard AED is better with auto vs manual, is this true?

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Black 2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Premium, Glass Roof, Navigation
Borla S-Type Axel back, H Pipe, Drop in K&N filter
cnadz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnadz15 View Post
For a manual 6sp would you recommend AED or Lund... ? I've heard AED is better with auto vs manual, is this true?

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.
AED. U heard incorrect. He is better with the auto calibration also. I have both and the aed tune is smoother as well. Put it this way, I have a G-tech. Pretty accurate. I've tested it at the track and it's spot on within a mph and within 0.1 on the times, my last outing was with my mods on 20" wheels, stock converter and another tune. I went 12.4 & trapped 113-114 in my auto. I've since added sve drags, circle D converter and an AED data logged tune. I'm now trapping over 123. Now I know the race wheels probably account for a mph or 2 but the converter won't effect trap speed much if any or I have even heard of a converter lowering the trap speed so that's a nice gain in hp according to the mph.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT