2011 Mustang GT: Auto or Manual? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which transmission should I get?
Manual 9 42.86%
Automatic 12 57.14%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #36

Region: South Carolina
All right so if I get a manual, and I replace the shifter with Barton short shifter and bracket or the mgw all of the manual issues will be prevented? I'm not looking for something to fix shortly after I get it. Upgrade yes, but not fix. I just can't be bothered to have a ****ty transmission on my daily driver. And if I get an automatic all I would need is a tune, and my power and shifts will be produced better, smoother?

I understand that last question was dumb, I already know what the answer is gonna kinda be. But I would just like it elaborated.

I would like to try to get a manual, but I really don't want it to end up ****ing up on me in the first few months I have the thing. And Ive been researching, if I replace the pedal assembly with one from a 2011 Boss or gt500 and then upgrade my shifter I shouldn't have the "common" problems other might have like lock-outs, clutch pedal staying down, grinding and all?
Kay Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Chisel View Post
All right so if I get a manual, and I replace the shifter with Barton short shifter and bracket or the mgw all of the manual issues will be prevented? I'm not looking for something to fix shortly after I get it. Upgrade yes, but not fix. I just can't be bothered to have a ****ty transmission on my daily driver. And if I get an automatic all I would need is a tune, and my power and shifts will be produced better, smoother?

I understand that last question was dumb, I already know what the answer is gonna kinda be. But I would just like it elaborated.

I would like to try to get a manual, but I really don't want it to end up ****ing up on me in the first few months I have the thing. And Ive been researching, if I replace the pedal assembly with one from a 2011 Boss or gt500 and then upgrade my shifter I shouldn't have the "common" problems other might have like lock-outs, clutch pedal staying down, grinding and all?
Now it all depends on how many miles you have on the car you're going to buy. And if its a 2011, you can assume the transmission must have gone through quite a bit of abuse by now.

The transmission itself is not the main problem, but fords remote shifter assembly and its design is - which puts our MT-82 under lot of stress. Now let's say if the car you're going to buy has been driven by a senior/not tracked, you might get lucky. Get MGW's new race spec shifter, ss clutch lines and good transmission fluid. This would solve majority if not all of the problems we have seen on these transmissions.

For autos, tune is not the only thing you need if you're looking for that low end grunt of manuals. Stock converts suck big time on these cars, you're looking at 1500 bucks for parts n labor for a circle D converter. And well select shift mode is just a cheap solution to having driveability of a manual.

All depends on what you're goals are with your car. Other forum members have given you excellent advise already.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Now it all depends on how many miles you have on the car you're going to buy. And if its a 2011, you can assume the transmission must have gone through quite a bit of abuse by now.

The transmission itself is not the main problem, but fords remote shifter assembly and its design is - which puts our MT-82 under lot of stress. Now let's say if the car you're going to buy has been driven by a senior/not tracked, you might get lucky. Get MGW's new race spec shifter, ss clutch lines and good transmission fluid. This would solve majority if not all of the problems we have seen on these transmissions.

For autos, tune is not the only thing you need if you're looking for that low end grunt of manuals. Stock converts suck big time on these cars, you're looking at 1500 bucks for parts n labor for a circle D converter. And well select shift mode is just a cheap solution to having driveability of a manual.

All depends on what you're goals are with your car. Other forum members have given you excellent advise already.

I was looking around and the cars I'm looking at have anywhere from 40K-60k miles on them. And I was also looking at the blowfish street bracket that makes it a solid mount transmission. SO if I get a manual with about 50K miles on it, install the bracket, a different shifter, clutch lines and then better trans fluid I should be set right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Standard. Had 2007 Gtcs auto. Now 2013 GT with standard. Previous was 2004 Wrx Sti. And missed the standard when in went to auto.

Being able to select the right gear when entering and coming out of a corner means more to me than the additional power of the 5.0 vs the 4.6

My 2 cents anyway. Also first post 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Just_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was looking around and the cars I'm looking at have anywhere from 40K-60k miles on them. And I was also looking at the blowfish street bracket that makes it a solid mount transmission. SO if I get a manual with about 50K miles on it, install the bracket, a different shifter, clutch lines and then better trans fluid I should be set right?
I'd save the money for blowfish bracket (300) + shifter (350 with Barton 2 Post), and buy a MGW for 500 bucks. And you should be set.

PS: see if your car still has its powerterrain warranty intact. If so, get the transmission worked out if there are any kinks.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #41

Quote:
I'd save the money for blowfish bracket (300) + shifter (350 with Barton 2 Post), and buy a MGW for 500 bucks. And you should be set.

PS: see if your car still has its powerterrain warranty intact. If so, get the transmission worked out if there are any kinks.

But i've heard the blowfish bracket does wonders and eliminates the grinding and lockouts completely. And the MGW shifter doesn't fit with it. So will the MGW fix all the problems that the blowfish bracket fixes too?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote:

Also the MGW is a little less than $400.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I ordered a new 2014 GT last year. After a lot of research I got the auto. Too many issues with manual. No regrets. The auto. is a very tough tranz.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
1 time a week and sometimes 2 days a week there are street races in my area. So yes racing is a big part of my mustangs life lol. There are many back roads where lots of cars show up and duke it out for hours. Dudes taking there rigs out of trailers just to run. get on youtube and you will see the street racing that goes on.
I'm sure what you meant is private road street racing. Not a public road but your talking private closed road. Those back roads I'm sure are on closed private property!

I do all my racing on private, closed roads as well bro. Never the public roadways because that would be unsafe. The staff at ME needs to know this because we don't need any threads getting shut down for just a miscommunication on anyone's part.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But i've heard the blowfish bracket does wonders and eliminates the grinding and lockouts completely. And the MGW shifter doesn't fit with it. So will the MGW fix all the problems that the blowfish bracket fixes too?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Also the MGW is a little less than $400.
I personally haven't tried blowfish yet but based on what people have said on this forum, it wouldn't do whole lot of good unless youre shifting at 6500+ rpms.. Where most lockouts occur due to sloppy stock rubber bracket. For a DD, one is better off with a Barton 2 post bracket IMO.

Now the MGW you're looking at is probably the older version for $400, their new race spec is $487 + shipping.. Unless theyve slashed down the price just recently, then maybe. You wouldn't have a remote shifter anymore with the new design of MGW, it just eliminates the need of having a blowfish bracket.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #45

Quote:
I personally haven't tried blowfish yet but based on what people have said on this forum, it wouldn't do whole lot of good unless youre shifting at 6500+ rpms.. Where most lockouts occur due to sloppy stock rubber bracket. For a DD, one is better off with a Barton 2 post bracket IMO.

Now the MGW you're looking at is probably the older version for $400, their new race spec is $487 + shipping.. Unless theyve slashed down the price just recently, then maybe. You wouldn't have a remote shifter anymore with the new design of MGW, it just eliminates the need of having a blowfish bracket.

It's the only one on their website for the 2011 GT so I'd think it's the newest one, but I could have read it wrong earlier. I just want something that can take a because right now I own a 2013 Dodge Dart with an automatic trans that has taken everything if thrown at it. So i wouldn't want to get the car I want to find out it can't handle the heat and break or malfunction
Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's the only one on their website for the 2011 GT so I'd think it's the newest one, but I could have read it wrong earlier. I just want something that can take a because right now I own a 2013 Dodge Dart with an automatic trans that has taken everything if thrown at it. So i wouldn't want to get the car I want to find out it can't handle the heat and break or malfunction
What is the asking price on 2011 gt that you're looking at? What are your goals with this car? Are you going to race/track it more often than not or if its going to be just a street DD car?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a manual 2012, absolute blast to drive. I got the barton shifter and bracket, and put in the mgw solid shifter bushings. No complaints here and I drive it daily in stop and go traffic and never wish I had an auto.

ncfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfive0 View Post
I have a manual 2012, absolute blast to drive. I got the barton shifter and bracket, and put in the mgw solid shifter bushings. No complaints here and I drive it daily in stop and go traffic and never wish I had an auto.

This. I miss my manual every single day lol punching it in 2nd gear was purely orgasmic!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 mustang