2011 Mustang GT: Auto or Manual? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which transmission should I get?
Manual 9 42.86%
Automatic 12 57.14%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
Exclamation 2011 Mustang GT: Auto or Manual?

I'm actually looking to buy a 2011 Ford Mustang GT, but my only concern is what transmission should I get? I've heard a looootttt of bad things about the manual transmission such as: clutch pedal sticking, grinding, lockouts, etc. I've never had a manual car before so it would be my first if I did get a manual transmission. But this coming fall I'm moving from a small town to a huge city because I'm transferring to College of Charleston so having an automatic for the visits home and in the city would probably be ideal. But I also want to have fun with the car. I get bored of just steering and sometimes would like to feel like a part of the car, especially if I get a mustang with all that power. So honestly I'm really conflicted between the two. If anyone has any information or input please let me know what I should lean to!
Kay Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
The mt82 is not that bad when the stock shifter is addressed. If you never had manual then even better you won't have anything to compare to. If you get the auto it sounds like you will always wished you got the manual. Follow your fun meter and you will always have a smile follow the conservative serious route and no smile. You choose....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not to say an auto is not fun just saying sounds like the mt is your fun button.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Honestly, 2011 (especially 2013 up w/ select shift) on up is the first time the automatic for the most part equals if not betters the manual cars. These auto's are not giving up power on the dyno's anymore compared to the manuals. I honestly walked away from buying a low mile GT500 to get into the auto coyote. JMO. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The whole auto manual debate also determines what kind of racing you do. Dragstrip auto. Roll events - manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The whole auto manual debate also determines what kind of racing you do. Dragstrip auto. Roll events - manual

Mine will most likely just be for street.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Honestly, 2011 (especially 2013 up w/ select shift) on up is the first time the automatic for the most part equals if not betters the manual cars. These auto's are not giving up power on the dyno's anymore compared to the manuals. I honestly walked away from buying a low mile GT500 to get into the auto coyote. JMO. Good luck.
But I also want to know, which would be more reliable for the driving ill be doing. Just city driving, road trip, and pulls.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Chisel View Post
But I also want to know, which would be more reliable for the driving ill be doing. Just city driving, road trip, and pulls.
Go with the Auto, you won't be disappointed or bored, despite what you might hear.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If you're talking 2011+ GT and you don't need an automatic for physical reasons....there's no competition. This car is an experience to drive. I don't think you get the full admission to the show without a manual transmission ticket.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
This car is an experience to drive. I don't think you get the full admission to the show without a manual transmission ticket.
I get the full experience with my auto.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This is my 6th mustang and every mustang has been manual. I converted my 1966 to a Auto but for strip but it came 3 speed manual. I was in the same boat as you not knowing what trans to go with on the newer 2011-2014 stang. I went Auto and let me just tell you with a tune its one bad *** SOB. This is not your AODE trans anymore. Im so glad I went Auto and my next mustang in the future will also be an Auto. Hope this helps.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #12

Manual is awesome, but in the city.... It's a lot of on the clutch off the clutch. If you don't mind the challenge, go for it.

2004 V6 40th Anniversary Crimson Mustang
blackdrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Let me throw your doubts away. This is my first manual car as well. I was in the same boat as you. I drive in heavy houston traffic, and it is not that much of a hassle. The manual is more fun to drive in my experience. It makes driving fast, skillful in some aspects. The clutch sticking to the floor has happened only a few times when shifting at a high load, but taking out the spring assist seems to be the answer. The transmission just has a very crappy shifter. Mgw spec 2 fixes that. I will never get an auto car again because of how much I love cars and the feeling of being it true control. If I want to build a drag car then yes I'll buy an auto, but for driving, why not having fun? There are times when it would be more convenient to have an auto but there are times where the auto people will say, man I wish I could have a manual. Speed aside, which to me is hardly different, it's about how you want your driving experience to feel. For this car, it's old style drivetrain mentality, I feel manual fits it best. My 2 cents. But if you have the thought of it now, you'll always have it. Just like the v8 bug for those in v6(my previous was a 2011 camaro v6 auto). Trust me. Manual v8.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I get the full experience with my auto.
With happy ending?
I know....people shouldn't care but the 2nd question people ask you at every gas station after, "Is it a GT?"
Is
"Manual?"
What would Chuck Norris drive? That's the real kicker. You may have to face him someday and I'll be prepared I gotta say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	173960  
Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Same advice here. My first mustang was a 98 gt manual. I absolutely loved that car and how much fun it was to drive. I ended up getting a new 2002 gt back in 02 and went with automatic. I spent the next ten years wishing it was manual. Finally in 2012 i got a new 5.0 and went manual. And i have not regretted it at all. I live in san antonio and get stuck in traffic as well, still love it. My shifter is still the stock one and i dont have any issues. After reading some other responses though i am interested in changing the shifter and seeing the difference it will make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
paulflor98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have no qualms with my 2011 GT Premium automatic. Have always been a manual guy, but the six speed auto with the Coyote is really sweet and fleet.
Parrotpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What would Steve McQueen drive? How do you think the Movie Bullitt would have turned out with a auto in that GT? He would have crashed and never reeled in that charger. All mustangs would have been autos and we would never of had a choice for a manual trans. Keep the dream alive go manual!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I like playing with the select shift in my auto. I come from manuals and I don't miss them.

Sent from my XT1045 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

And another thing....if you get an auto at some point a girl friend, wife, mom will want to drive it so the manual can help protect you car as well.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
And another thing....if you get an auto at some point a girl friend, wife, mom will want to drive it so the manual can help protect you car as well.

You are a Brilliant guy, BUT a lot of Women can drive stick, but you keep thinking that.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

They both are going to have there advantages so saying one is better then the other is a useless argument. The Autos this day and age have come a long way. Take a drive in any auto with a few bolt ons and a tune and WOW. I had the same mind set about autos a few years ago, they were for girls, they were slow, sluggish and telling someone you had a auto just didn't feel right. But now when i go to the street races guy say "oh he has an auto so you better shift perfect or he will beat you." Either way your getting a 5.0 mustang so you cant go wrong and you wont regret either decision. But my vote goes Auto because of the perfect shifts every time, dont gotta mess with crappy shifters or clutches, no second gear grind when cold. just get in and drive and talk on your cell phone lol. Drive and eat your burger at the same time.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dude get a manual, and replace your stock shifter with a mgw spec 2. I currently have an auto 5.0, and honestly I miss my manual 3.7 every single day. Too much hassle to get a perfectly tuned auto to your liking - I have Lund and mpt tune, still can't them tweaked to how I want my car to respond under mellow/light acceleration. Granted select shift feature is a nice little option to shift at your will, yet its no way near an actual stick car.

I might be going for a manual swap to a tremec in near future after all. Let's see how that pans out.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
You are a Brilliant guy, BUT a lot of Women can drive stick, but you keep thinking that.
Haha, just having fun with the thread! Funny how passionate both sides are. My wife loves manual but she still doesn't like to drive it and that's okay with me. Heck put a nice set of wheels on her ride and all four are curbed. It is a rare creature indeed when a woman maintains and takes the care most guys do with their Mustangs.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
For racing, the auto is faster. On the track, and at the drag strip. It shifts faster or as fast as the standard, and with a tune is great on the track. Daily driving, automatics suck. Some people don't like traffic with it, but I don't mind rush hour with a standard. I just work the clutch, and almost never use my brakes. Though, I am not the type to race up to the rear of a car and then slam in my brakes- I would rather average 10 mph, than race from 0-25-0 over and over. But that's me.

Honestly, you should buy a $500 piece of crap standard and just daily it. See how you like it. You'll know quickly if you like it or not. Get everything down, and then get going

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
For racing, the auto is faster. On the track, and at the drag strip. It shifts faster or as fast as the standard, and with a tune is great on the track. Daily driving, automatics suck. Some people don't like traffic with it, but I don't mind rush hour with a standard. I just work the clutch, and almost never use my brakes. Though, I am not the type to race up to the rear of a car and then slam in my brakes- I would rather average 10 mph, than race from 0-25-0 over and over. But that's me.

Honestly, you should buy a $500 piece of crap standard and just daily it. See how you like it. You'll know quickly if you like it or not. Get everything down, and then get going

Not true 100% if you do roll racing events ( no I'm not talking about street racing )
You will want a manual. As the auto does not pull up top as soon as it hits 5th

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

What I dislike about the auto is the fact that skill is taken away from the experience in all aspects. Regardless, a 5.0 is a 5.0. You good either way. Apparently tuning is needed no matter what you do.

Roll racing. Go manual everytime

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Plus on a real track. I'd want a manual unless it was a Porsche

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You should go rent one automatic for a week. It'll give you a general idea.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Not true 100% if you do roll racing events ( no I'm not talking about street racing )
You will want a manual. As the auto does not pull up top as soon as it hits 5th

I don't know what roll racing is. I think of track- on a course, and drag- straight line from 0, and autocross. If my main intention was any of those, I would most likely go auto and tune.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Who the hell has time to race anyone? I drive to and from work and then there's responsibilities on days off.
Are there a lot of independently wealthy people racing their Mustangs all the time that 1/4 mile times even matter. Or repairing them from the extra abuse?
Daily driver Mustang= more fun with a manual.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Too much hassle to get a perfectly tuned auto to your liking - I have Lund and mpt tune, still can't them tweaked to how I want my car to respond under mellow/light acceleration.
Call mike roush and your problems are fixed. even a BAMA tune for autos isnt like you make it sound.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Who the hell has time to race anyone? I drive to and from work and then there's responsibilities on days off.
Are there a lot of independently wealthy people racing their Mustangs all the time that 1/4 mile times even matter. Or repairing them from the extra abuse?
I race my shadow every single day thank you very much.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1 time a week and sometimes 2 days a week there are street races in my area. So yes racing is a big part of my mustangs life lol. There are many back roads where lots of cars show up and duke it out for hours. Dudes taking there rigs out of trailers just to run. get on youtube and you will see the street racing that goes on.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
1 time a week and sometimes 2 days a week there are street races in my area. So yes racing is a big part of my mustangs life lol. There are many back roads where lots of cars show up and duke it out for hours. Dudes taking there rigs out of trailers just to run. get on youtube and you will see the street racing that goes on.
I saw that movie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	174075  
Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I drove my first Mustang in 1965...on leave from the AF and rented it in Boston...I lived in Maine. In-line six with a slush pump. I just purchased my first Mustang last month....2011 GT Premium. It's a toy for when I want to play. Most of my play driving is done before dawn here in So Cal.....wide open roads....street lights are much more friendly and no kids pulling up beside me in mom's Prius looking to beat the GT. I just love to drive the thing....it's an incredibly fun ride....I don't cowboy it, and I don't abuse it....it has 19+K miles.....someone will get an incredible hot rod when I trade it for my next muscle car....probably 2017...having cataract surgery in two weeks....night driving will take on a whole new perspective.
Parrotpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Call mike roush and your problems are fixed. even a BAMA tune for autos isnt like you make it sound.
I have Bama tune too, needless to say I didn't mention it for a reason lol. But yeah I have exchanging PMs with Mike Rousch, hopefully we will work something out.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 mustang