Installed a Jensen VX7020 into a base 14 GT (non-SYNC) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Installed a Jensen VX7020 into a base 14 GT (non-SYNC)

Hello everyone. I have successfully installed a Jensen VX7020 head unit into my non-SYNC 14 GT. I initially went to Crutchfield to determine what parts I needed exactly, but they did not carry the install kit that I wanted (the Metra 99-5823CH specifically). This one looks the most OEM, somewhat comparable to the Raxiom kits. The Raxiom kits sits at the top and flares out a little bit, while keeping the temperature controls at the bottom. I also did all research and bought everything before their new non-SYNC kit came out. As of now it does not come with Bluetooth, so there is no motivation for me to switch to it. Price does vary for the things I used, if you buy everything on Crutchfield they will give you a discount (their package deal), but I saved more by finding everything brand new on eBay. Be prepared to put out about $550 for a similar set up.

NOTE: I adjusted the contrast later so you can no longer see the grayish stuff on the screen.

If you would like to do this yourself, here are the items required to do something like this. Keep in mind I used a Jensen Head unit, and some PAC adapters may not be compatible with some brands (refer to Crutchfield for more information). I did the work with the help of my buddy and we had little stereo installation experience. It took a few times to figure out how to wire the PAC SWI-RC steering wheel control harness and program it to the stereo, but now that I figured it out it is easy. These parts are only for cars without the Shaker System, and without SYNC.

-Metra 99-5823CH....Use this or whatever install kit you prefer. I like the look of this one and it is very scratch resistant (as described). THIS WILL REPLACE THE WHOLE CENTER RADIO SO CHOOSE WISELY (LOL)! It does have a programmable backlight color (many colors to choose from), and custom text at the top. This also retains the factory temperature reading!

-Jensen VX7020....Includes iGO Satellite Navigation, FM/AM Radio, Bluetooth Control, iPod/iPhone Control, Pandora, Sirius XM Satellite Radio (antenna sold separate), 2 separate AV inputs (I didn't use either), Reverse Camera input (I also opted out on this), USB and AUX inputs. I chose this because it was a good price, and had a all the features I wanted (mainly SAT NAV, Bluetooth, and iPod control). The only thing I dislike about it is the fact that the USB and AUX input are in the front, so it is somewhat hard to hide the USB wire that goes right back to the center compartment.

-PAC C2R-FRD1 Wiring Harness....used for retaining vehicle features such as the reverse sensor, and also acts as a middle-man between the Stereo's wiring and the car's audio harness.

-PAC SWI-RC....This is used for retaining the steering wheel controls. It is not mandatory, but I wanted to re-use the buttons. Be advised that the Jensen VX7020 has a built in steering wheel control programmer, but you still need this adapter from PAC (or similar). You need to program this adapter, then program the Stereo's built-in steering wheel control program.

-Metra 40-CR10....This is needed to retain the AM/FM radio. The outgoing stereo has just enough cable to connect to the car, this is used to add cable so you can connect the antenna from the car to the new stereo.

-OPTIONALSirius XM Antenna is sold separately, and I do not have one as of now. If you would like a Reverse Camera, go ahead and buy a small (and discreet one), as this specific head unit does have a video input just for that. It is cool because if you wire the reverse wires together, the stereo automatically pops up with the reverse camera as soon as you go into reverse (in my Manual transmission). I like this because I know my car is in reverse, and it reads "No Signal".

Everything was purchased on eBay from different sellers, but links below contain the products I used. SEE BELOW FOR LINKS

If you are interested in doing the same or similar set up, let me know. I can give some support, and other information. The hardest thing was the SWC (steering wheel controls). It took a few times to figure it out, but it works great. Do not be intimated as this is an easy-med install.

Metra 99-5823CH (

Jensen VX7020 (

Metra 40-CR10 (
da.anthman60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT