Pcv from breathers to catch can = rough idle and engine light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Pcv from breathers to catch can = rough idle and engine light?

So I have breathers on the valve covers and the inlet on the boss intake capped off. Cars tuned and runs great. Unfortunately sometimes I tend to get some oil residue past the passenger side filter and on the coil cover. In an attempt to remedy this, I purchased a jlt catch can from someone. After install the car has a lopy idle and throws an engine light for multiple cylinder misfire. What's the problem and fix?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just a shot in the dark here. But if you have the stock lines hooked up, the driver side sucks air in from the post MAF section of intake tube. So the air has been metered. After it runs its course through the engine and comes out the passenger side, it makes its way into the intake manifld. Therefore the air has already been metered and accounted for.

However if you unhook both lines, and plug the intake tune port and the manifold port and use breathers, it just sucks air in one side and blows it out the other.

Then if you were to leave a breather on the driver side, which would be the pcv intake side and then hook up your stock line or in your case a catch can back to the intake manifold, then you are introducing unmetered air into the intake. It passed through the engine but not through the MAF therefore is unaccounted for.

Should make for a slightly lean condition if the computer doesn't fix it via O2 sensor readings which I doubt.

I would suggest plugging your stock line back into your driver side and back to the intake tube and see if that makes it go away. I would guess that it does.
MOOSEDAWG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
One more thing to check if your routing is correct. I have heard of the JLT cans leaking vacuum. You can use a can of carb cleaner to spray around potential leak areas while car is idling, can fittings, seams etc. If you find one you will hear a change in idle. I agree you have a lean situation do to unmetered air entering the loop.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
On a Boss, JLT goes on driver side & On GT JLT in on passenger side

Hammer Down !!!
GOTROD46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think they can go on both sides. The passenger side is where I get the reside from filter tho

Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well it should get some air flowing through it right? I mean I took a look at the factory tube I have and it's just a straight through tube.. So of course it's going to get air through it. If I blow on one side of the catch can I can feel air coming out the opposite side. Is that normal or no?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
I think they can go on both sides. The passenger side is where I get the reside from filter tho

If you have a breather on the driver side and you have hooked up a pcv on the passenger side to the catch can and then connected to your intake by the throttle body you are taking in unmetered air and it will run lean. With the pcv hooked up like described above that clean air intake on the driver side needs to be connected to your intake air inlet after the air box and maf sensor. You can't use a breather filter on the drivers side in a pcv system.

This is correct install of catch can on a NA application. Boosted can use a can on the driver and passenger side but not NA as it is not necessary.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
If you have a breather on the driver side and you have hooked up a pcv on the passenger side to the catch can and then connected to your intake by the throttle body you are taking in unmetered air and it will run lean. With the pcv hooked up like described above that clean air intake on the driver side needs to be connected to your intake air inlet after the air box and maf sensor.

This is correct install of catch can on a NA application. Boosted can use a can on the driver and passenger side but not NA as it is not necessary.

Ahhh ok, so I have the one end of the catch can plugged into the valve cover. The other end says intake on it. I plug that into intake but yes it is unmetered, so what else do I need to do? Hook something up on the drivers side? Never messed with this Pcv things before or paid much attention to them. Guess I should have...

Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahhh ok, so I have the one end of the catch can plugged into the valve cover. The other end says intake on it. I plug that into intake but yes it is unmetered, so what else do I need to do? Hook something up on the drivers side? Never messed with this Pcv things before or paid much attention to them. Guess I should have...

It is only unmetered air entering the system if your driver side valve cover has a breather filter in it. The picture below shows the driver side hooked up correctly.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I only have a breather on the drivers side. So look like from above I need to remove the breather and complete the Pcv system by putting the Pcv hose back on the drivers side like stock?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I only have a breather on the drivers side. So look like from above I need to remove the breather and complete the Pcv system by putting the Pcv hose back on the drivers side like stock?

Yes perfect. That is where your unmetered air is coming in. It is like having a giant vacuum leak.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Figures. Never thought about it. Thanks for the info I'll get it fixed up and report back if that fixes it!

Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Welp this just answered my question i just asked on the UPR catch can thread. So when my UPR comes in I will take my breather off also. Thanks Bigjay
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Welp this just answered my question i just asked on the UPR catch can thread. So when my UPR comes in I will take my breather off also. Thanks Bigjay
Do you run breathers both sides now?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes im running breathers on both sides right now with no issues other then the smell of oil in the cab.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Yes im running breathers on both sides right now with no issues other then the smell of oil in the cab.
Okay makes sense.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so got drivers side hooked up and now the idle don't sound like a lopy cam but does idle about 200 rpm higher then with just breathers. I checked for leaks by spraying some carb cleaner around the connections of both ends of the pcv tubing on both sides and heard no change in idle. This has got me stumped. Could it be because my car was tuned with breathers?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not much on tuning. Do you have a pcv valve in the pass side? If yes, maybe a reflash might help...not sure.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Nope no valve. I was wondering of there's supposed to be one?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope no valve. I was wondering of there's supposed to be one?

Yes you need a stock pcv valve in pass side cover. It regulates vacuum and you are still lean without it.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I have the boss mani if that matters at all, not sure if anything is different. So valve hooks up at the connector on the valve cover or on the tb port where the hose attaches?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the boss mani if that matters at all, not sure if anything is different. So valve hooks up at the connector on the valve cover or on the tb port where the hose attaches?

Yes should put valve in at pass cover then connect jlt hose to the valve. If you can take a picture and post it showing you routing after the valve. What happened to all the stock stuff you took off?

Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Came with boss. Just got stock mani with it. I'll get pics

Old 01-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Could it be because my car was tuned with breathers?
No. There is no adjustment in the tune to compensate for a breather setup.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

How does the blue connector disconnect from the passenger side valve cover? Doesn't seem to turn and I do not want to break it.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It unscrews counter clockwise.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks grabber

Old 02-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Sure enough my fitting didn't have a Pcv valve in it so replaced it and everything is as it should be now. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet good to hear!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT