Lowering springs on 40k mile GT? Safe? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lowering springs on 40k mile GT? Safe?

I honestly am looking for the best alternative to getting rid of the wheel gap. I can't go to low so 1.5 is my max. Is it even safe to use springs on my car even though the suspension has used the OEM parts for 40k miles?

I was thinking of ford k springs or SR springs. Just need some clarification on if I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yes you can use them on stock oem parts, BUT remember it is usually recommended to get new shocks at 50,000 miles, so just buy a lowering kit with shocks/struts for the same price as replacements!! or go fancy and get adjustable coilovers.
GT1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1995 View Post
Yes you can use them on stock oem parts, BUT remember it is usually recommended to get new shocks at 50,000 miles, so just buy a lowering kit with shocks/struts for the same price as replacements!! or go fancy and get adjustable coilovers.

So lowering an inch and a half is ok for factory struts? Ride quality, performance, and reliability wise?

Just_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You'll need other parts to effectively lower your car.

This has been discussed many many times already.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yes ... since the OEM parts are made for OEM springs ... it is recommended that when you upgrade to an aftermarket spring ... you look to upgrade the other parts too. Aftermarket springs running with OEM parts cause pre-mature wear ... since you already have 40K on the car ... it would be good to do the upgrades at once since you can save on labor.

Shocks / Struts, Panhard Bar, Mounts are all recommended when you lower the vehicle so that you can maintain ride quality.

If you have any questions or need pricing ... I am happy to help. You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Here is a nice package we did on a 2012 GT ... it will show you the before & after with our suspension components ... pretty impressive:

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice upgrade I need one also 2013 gt with 28k miles Trac pack. ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
I honestly am looking for the best alternative to getting rid of the wheel gap. I can't go to low so 1.5 is my max. Is it even safe to use springs on my car even though the suspension has used the OEM parts for 40k miles?

I was thinking of ford k springs or SR springs. Just need some clarification on if I should.

Just put the SRs on my car with 32k miles now I have 33k and everything's been great so far.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Also everyone is right that you will need new shocks/struts soon. But don't be under the impression you shouldn't lower your car due to the need for more parts because I have it lowered with only a panhard bar THATS IT and the ride is slightly stiffer than the old springs. I'm planning on getting new shocks and struts in the future when my car really needs them

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You'll need other parts to effectively lower your car.

This has been discussed many many times already.

Yea I have read that. I just meant with the factory struts. Assuming you upgraded the necessary parts, wouldn't the factory struts also need to be upgraded? In my head I see it as those struts are "tuned" for that spring. So a lower spring would cause the shock to possibly "rest" and "travel" as not intended. Or is the drop not great enough to cause concern?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Greg View Post
Yea I have read that. I just meant with the factory struts. Assuming you upgraded the necessary parts, wouldn't the factory struts also need to be upgraded? In my head I see it as those struts are "tuned" for that spring. So a lower spring would cause the shock to possibly "rest" and "travel" as not intended. Or is the drop not great enough to cause concern?

Struts are included in the necessary parts to effectively lower the car. Sure u can get away with out them if u want to tho.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Struts are included in the necessary parts to effectively lower the car. Sure u can get away with out them if u want to tho.

Ok makes sense. Thank you

Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just suck with patience. My car is a DD with frequent drag days. I know my plan. I want to lower the car to get rid of the wheel gap in the back end. I'll do a panhard bar and then the control arms.

So I was feeling doing springs and the bar till the struts need to be replaced and then replace them with aftermarket. At that time I would of done the control arms. I do the work all on my own but I don't have the money to spend on everything at once (college student). Just making sure it's okay. Do I need camber bolts if I just do 1.5 drop all around?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I lowered my 14 with Eibach Sportlines and took it to my Ford dealer to have it realigned..............was within Ford Factory specs for caster/camber/toe in. Have also had 4 other friends with Mustangs lower their cars and each one has still been within Ford Specs. I'm not sure if you have a Les Schwab Tire centers in your area, but if you take it in for an alignment and it falls with Ford Factory specs they don't charge you. I would lower, drive it and watch the tires for ware. If you have a smart phone there is a free app called "iAlign" and if you want to check the alignment yourself it's a very handy tool and will tell you if you are within the ballpark.....IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Purchase H&R lowering springs with the Steeda CC Plates you need. This combo has great results.
-Good luck with the work, post pics when done.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hey J,

As stated above, there are definitely some aftermarket parts recommended every time a vehicle is lowered, even a brand new car!

The more miles put on the car, the more needed those parts become.

With 40k miles, you can definitely get away with the bare minimum (springs, camber bolts, panhard bar) but if possible, I would recommend upgrading everything at the same time.

I am a huge fan of the Eibach Pro-System-Plus myself and would highly recommend it.

The kit will come with Front Struts, Rear Shocks, Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, 36mm Tubular Front Sway Bar with bushings, 25mm Solid Rear Sway Bar with bushings.

Not only will it look great, it will also transform your car into a corner carving beast!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

- Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just suck with patience. My car is a DD with frequent drag days. I know my plan. I want to lower the car to get rid of the wheel gap in the back end. I'll do a panhard bar and then the control arms.

So I was feeling doing springs and the bar till the struts need to be replaced and then replace them with aftermarket. At that time I would of done the control arms. I do the work all on my own but I don't have the money to spend on everything at once (college student). Just making sure it's okay. Do I need camber bolts if I just do 1.5 drop all around?

I wouldn't run camber bolts especially if u drag race the car. Imagine that those bolts snap half way down the track! That's just me tho.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i was thinking of the bare minimum until the shocks go out. I dont have the money to do all at once. I think I will go with the BMR adustable PHB, Ford K springs, and jounce bumper kit?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #18

Region: New Jersey
I got a great deal on Hotchkis spings, Koni struts and shocks and gt500 strut mounts. My question is, are adjustable lower control arms a smart idea as well? i was thinking about getting the Eibach ones.
Leebunnyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Still some deals on the Mustang Steeda Sport Springs here - 2011-2014 Mustang Parts - Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I ended up buying ford racing k springs (will do ford racing S&S later), jounce kit, and a hammer time BMR panhard bar.

Debating whether to install ASAP(will arrive tomorrow)

How necessary for a DD would it be to get a relocation bar for the LCAs? I will do LCAS and UCA when I finally get closer to drag racing as I am finishing up the aesthetic side of the car(splitter and maybe a grille left)

Power will be done at once(cai,longtubes,tune,and off road) at that point I'd install the LCAs and UCA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT