New to the Fourm, have some noob questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 133
New to the Fourm, have some noob questions

Whats going on guys. Just got newish 13 Gt and have some random questions about parts and service. Was previous in a SRT but it got u there in miles and im a big fan of the 13-14 GT look.

Anyway Most important question, What oil do you guys recommend , i know it takes 5-20 but saw some people running 5-30. Syn or Regular?

The sound tube to the cabin is that needed or can i send it on its way to a box never to be seen again?

Have not driven a Manual in years but im no novice, Is it common for the stock shifter to be funky time to time when hard shifting?

Have a bad smell at WOT , seen alot of opinions when i was creeping on the forums but never a direct answer HELP!

Any one delete there resonators? Any difference?

What are some must get upgrades? i got a Roush CAI(paid $60) so im not complaining, and got a Pypes axle back also got that cheap, Plan on upgrading to a SLP or Roush AB in the summer for hopes of more noise.

Thanks guys
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle
Region: Washington
Posts: 414
Welcome to the forum. All of your questions are easily answered in more depth than one of us trying to field them here with searching each question. Reason I say that is most of your questions have multiple answers so no best answer. It will give you better knowledge researching each topic..and instill great peace when you decide what is best for your application.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 133
Thanks
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
TommyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Mesa, Ca
Region: California
Posts: 559
Well I'll chime in.

I run 5W-30 Amsoil (synthetic). Trash the sound tube, there are homemade plugs or ones you can buy to plug the holes. Yes, the shifter is funky. Get an MGW as soon as you have the funds. Deleting the resonators will change the sound of the mufflers, especially if they are aftermarket. It might be good, or it may add drone or rasp.

If you don't like the floaty feeling at speed, want to reduce body roll and nose dive, and want it to look better, lowering springs, an adjustable pan hard bar, and performance shocks and struts are the answer.

From there, the sky and your bank account is the limit. Tires and wheels, go fast parts, exterior mods, etc. And yes, the search function is your friend. (use advanced search)
__________________
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Well I'll chime in.

I run 5W-30 Amsoil (synthetic). Trash the sound tube, there are homemade plugs or ones you can buy to plug the holes. Yes, the shifter is funky. Get an MGW as soon as you have the funds. Deleting the resonators will change the sound of the mufflers, especially if they are aftermarket. It might be good, or it may add drone or rasp.

If you don't like the floaty feeling at speed, want to reduce body roll and nose dive, and want it to look better, lowering springs, an adjustable pan hard bar, and performance shocks and struts are the answer.

From there, the sky and your bank account is the limit. Tires and wheels, go fast parts, exterior mods, etc. And yes, the search function is your friend. (use advanced search)
Thank you very much this was helpfull,
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
Whats going on guys. Just got newish 13 Gt and have some random questions about parts and service. Was previous in a SRT but it got u there in miles and im a big fan of the 13-14 GT look.

Anyway Most important question, What oil do you guys recommend , i know it takes 5-20 but saw some people running 5-30. Syn or Regular?

The sound tube to the cabin is that needed or can i send it on its way to a box never to be seen again?

Have not driven a Manual in years but im no novice, Is it common for the stock shifter to be funky time to time when hard shifting?

Have a bad smell at WOT , seen alot of opinions when i was creeping on the forums but never a direct answer HELP!

Any one delete there resonators? Any difference?

What are some must get upgrades? i got a Roush CAI(paid $60) so im not complaining, and got a Pypes axle back also got that cheap, Plan on upgrading to a SLP or Roush AB in the summer for hopes of more noise.

Thanks guys
Hey Jstorm,

You've got some great questions and I hope I can point you in the right direction!

I will tackle these questions one by one.

- In regards to oil, I personally run Royal Purple 5W30 with a Royal Purple Extended Life Filter in my 2014 Track Pack 5.0 and love it, no issues what-so-ever!

-You can ditch the sound tube with no problems! It really cleans up the engine bay. Just make sure to plug the holes! Most aftermarket cold air intakes will come with the plugs if you were looking to upgrade.

-Onto the shifter, you are correct. The MT-82 is not the most forgiving transmission on the market right now. I run a Barton Industries Short Shifter and Two-Post Bracket on mine and I love it! Really cleaned up the shifting and allowed for a better driving experience.

-When it comes to the smell at WOT, can you describe it at all? There are some things that can be attributing to that... some normal and some not, if it is always there and pretty potent, I would recommend having it checked out!

- Resonators... who needs them! Just kidding, deleting them really all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. It will add to the volume of the exhaust, but can also add rasp to the exhaust, so it really is all personal preference.

- In regards to future upgrades, I would highly recommend tuning the car. A tune will really wake the car up and you will feel a day and night difference. I run the Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner myself and absolutely love it. As soon as I went for a ride after the tune I was hooked.

I hope I got everything covered and feel free to reach out if I missed anything or if you have any other questions!

-Will
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 133
Thank you very much, i was wanting to run royal purple 5-30 i was just uneasy about the switch from 5-20
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
Thank you very much, i was wanting to run royal purple 5-30 i was just uneasy about the switch from 5-20

No problem at all and you will run into no issues.

I'm glad I could help and let me know if you have any further questions!

- Will
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle
Region: Washington
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
No problem at all and you will run into no issues.

I'm glad I could help and let me know if you have any further questions!

- Will
Just curious Will why royal purple 5 30? Have you run oil analysis before you switched and after?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
I use Amsoil 10W30.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Just curious Will why royal purple 5 30? Have you run oil analysis before you switched and after?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Royal purple is most likely the best oil you can use. I've used just about every synthetic oil known to man in my cars; and with royal purple I can tell a difference in the cars behavior.




Be the type of person who leaves a mark, not a scar
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Royal purple is most likely the best oil you can use.
Not as good as Amsoil.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Not as good as Amsoil.

I've used amsoil, cars ran better with royal purple.




Be the type of person who leaves a mark, not a scar
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle
Region: Washington
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Royal purple is most likely the best oil you can use. I've used just about every synthetic oil known to man in my cars; and with royal purple I can tell a difference in the cars behavior.




Be the type of person who leaves a mark, not a scar
Have you run used oil analysis on your royal purple? Hate to break it to you but there is ample evidence that RP thins out and is not the best choice or best oil. It's far from it. There are synthetic blend oils that are better.

And before we go recommending any oil or weight for this new guy we should ask him about how he uses the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Have you run used oil analysis on your royal purple? Hate to break it to you but there is ample evidence that RP thins out and is not the best choice or best oil. It's far from it. There are synthetic blend oils that are better.

And before we go recommending any oil or weight for this new guy we should ask him about how he uses the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I'm basing my statement on how my cars responded to different types of full synthetic. The cars ran better with the royal purple in them, than the others. Oil quality and level were checked weekly. At every oil change, I put the oil in a contain to see if they had used any, and quality of it. Royal purple had better results than everyone else. Mobil 1 was next.




Be the type of person who leaves a mark, not a scar
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I've used amsoil, cars ran better with royal purple.
Okay
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 133
see im used to running Mobil 1 since thats what my SRT called for. As for driving style its normal but ill rip on it every here and there.
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle
Region: Washington
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
see im used to running Mobil 1 since thats what my SRT called for. As for driving style its normal but ill rip on it every here and there.
Good to know. I'll give you the abbreviated version on what I have learned about oil choices with our mustangs.

Our mustangs come with the recommended fill 5/20. Track pack cars 5/50. The theory behind the 5/20 is it was done for café standards. Our same car across the pond is factory filled 5/30 there are no café standards like the U.S.

Choosing a particular weight of oil depends on use, climate and the characteristics of the oil itself. Motorcraft 5/20 is a good oil and there is good used oil reports to confirm. The Motorcraft 5/50 typically will shear down to a 30w within 2000 miles. There is a lot of evidence that 50w is too much for the coyote and can cause high oil pressure and increased wear metals. Given the Motorcraft oil shears down quickly there is speculation that Ford had the oil formulated to shear down. High quality synthetic 5/50 will generally not shear down and they can cause the problems above in the coyote.

Most people do not feel comfortable running 5/20 for more extreme conditions. Some will argue that it is okay and the 5/20 has the ability to cool the engine better. I have not seen any evidence on the net of engine failure related to using 5/20 for more extreme applications. The fact that ford fills the coyote with 5/30 out of the states would suggest that it is probably the best general purpose oil weight. For cars seeing more drag strip time and road course but still daily driving 10/30 10/40 5/40 0/40 will work fine depending conditions and application. Synthetic oils can vary greatly depending on additive package and base stock. Any oil you decide to run take the time to search the net for used oil analysis and virgin analysis to find out how good the additive package is base stock quality etc.

Oil brands can start fierce debate and I myself have never used Royal Purple or Amsoil. I have read plenty of UOA's on both of them and if I had to choose between them Amsoil is the clear winner. I myself use Mobil1 0/40 because my car sees extreme conditions more than not. If you want to use Mobil 1 make sure to get the extended performance. I use Mobil 1 for price, availability and good analysis.

bobistheoilguy.com is a good resource to check out a particular oil before you pour it in your car. The only way to be sure how an oil is working in your car is to do used oil analysis. It will let you know how long you can go between changes and how the engine is reacting to the oil.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minnesota fourm users schmitty426 Regional Mustang Discussion 0 03-18-2013 08:43 PM
Fourm code? silvrbullet2012 AmericanMuscle 6 02-26-2013 09:02 AM
New to the mustang world and fourm Whiteboss302 New Member Introductions & Greetings 7 08-31-2012 08:20 PM
79-93 4cyl fourm MC770 ME Site Help & Announcements 0 12-01-2010 04:35 PM
Noob questions bryanscle Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 06-03-2005 05:04 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:41 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.