Blower or turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Blower or turbo

I have convinced myself that I need some sort of forced induction on my 2013. I have had a P1SC, D1SC, and then a KB2.6 on my previous 2002. I loved the way the P1SC whistled all the time. I didn't really have the D1SC very long before I ditched it to go with the KB.

That being said, I don't think I wanna go with a centri blower again. I ended up having tuning troubles, which of course I'm sure that wouldn't be much trouble anymore. But they are the cheapest kit to buy.

The Hellion twin kit is like $8500 but I can delete the injectors and tuner and just get the base tune to get it going for $7800. Adding some turbo blankets and some heat wrap and all that would bring the price back up some. Then getting my own injectors and I already have a tuner. That all brings the price back up to just shy of the original price, in the $8200-$8300 range. Doesn't look terribly hard to install. Has the capability of 600rwhp at just 5psi so they claim. And can make 1200 on a built motor. Not that I would ever push it that far. The power would come on slower which would help traction as opposed to the twin screw blowers. Also this option keeps me from needing long tubes, which saves me $1200 or so.

The new Whipple 2.9 look ****ing sweet and comes with injectors, tune and tuner for $7500. Then I could sell my tuner(probably) as they only deduct $200 for deleting it from the kit. I think it has 58lb injectors in the kit which would leave plenty of room to grow. Not sure on the boost level with the pulley in the kit but its assuredly more than 5psi. Which I guess is more stressful on the engine than the twin turbo would be. The boost comes on fast and hard so traction becomes an issue, more so than the turbo that is. The install looks simple as ****. It looks just as titties as the twin turbos under the hood. And now the air intake goes in to the front which should keep **** away from the firewall which wasn't the case with my last KB. And this option will have me buying long tubes so this cost of this route goes up about $1200.

Looked at a video of a KB install on a GT and the guy was jigsawing out big holes for the intake to go through, aaaaaaaand I don't really wanna ****ing do that so I guess thats out of the question. Even though their kits seem complete and slightly cheaper than the Whipple. Of course their pricing page is all over the place when it comes to explaining the kits and all that.

Anyways guys, let me know what you think as far as options. I'd like to know your opinions on the best route to take this time around.
MOOSEDAWG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Depends on your goals for the car. If your just gonna daily drive it I say go for the whipple. I personally
Chose the VMP kit as the install was simpler than the roush and yes it does whine very loud unlike the roush if that matters to you. I was in the same boat on which kit the purchase. I love those whipples too but didn't wanna go over 7000$

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Crap I totally forgot about VMP. I, like you, don't want to go over $7000 either lol. But it seems like prices are way higher than they were just a few years ago. What kit did you go with and what kind of power do you make?

The car is just going to be my daily driver, just want a lot of power. Were there complications in the install with the VMP. I've read somewhere something about grinding something on the block for clearance. I'd rather not do that but if need be I guess I would.

And yes, having a sweet *** whine would be cool lol.
MOOSEDAWG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Should be around 550whp maybe a little higher or less as I went wth 47# injectors and I'm automatic. Told Justin starkey I wanted a conservative tune anyways. But dude the whole install took maybe 9-10 hours for everything including changing the oil and installing the tube. The grinding part was actually pretty easy to do. I'm 24 years old and I've never done an install like that and me and my dad did it. No complications whatsoever everything came just as advertised. I love the kit. I have some videos on my Instagram and some on YouTube. Pm me if you would like to see a few and I can send u the links.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Also I went with the stage 2 kit from vmp. 47# injectors. 82mm pulley. JLT cola air intake. It whines like crazy.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Any other comments or options, cmon guys.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Ok it seems that you're leaning towards a supercharger, correct?

RELAX BODY!!!!
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Ok it seems that you're leaning towards a supercharger, correct?

RELAX BODY!!!!
Thats the thing, I"m having a hard time making a decision. But since I just found out that Whipple is still a month or two out on releasing their kits for the 11-14s I still have some time.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Well here's my .02...
I'm in the market for a 11 gt/cs and my intentions were a badass N/A build. Then I started thinking well my N/A build is basically identical to a force induction build minus a couple of changeable parts. But my intentions are using the cobra jet intake instead of the boss, for more hp gains obviously. I'm aware that the boss intake is used more for force induction but I want the car to be unique. Now you might think a boss/ cobra jet intake only means turbos, but you could use a centrifugal supercharger. They are just as good as an engine mounted supercharger and in some cases better. My intentions are a twin turbo build, just because I love the whistle, it makes the car sound very intimidating. But to each his own I suppose. You can use a whipple, but the centrifugal supercharger is a very good path, in a lot of cases it could be a cheaper way to go (you can use the stock intake manifold). But turbos would be the best performance gains. They cause no parasitic hp loss to run and use your spent exhaust gases. Now there are some flaws to a turbo, turbo lag, and the idle rule. Turbo lag can be rushed through a couple of ways, most common way is using a bi-turbo set up. That using a smaller turbo for low rpm boost and a larger for higher rpm boost. It's not as complicated as it sounds. The idle rule is just as it sounds after driving the car let it idle for a minute or two. The reason being the turbos are still spinning quite high rpms. After running the car hard, then stop and immediately turn it off, puts a very large strain on the turbos. It can cause a oil leak in the turbos...
There are pros and cons to any power adder, you just have to pick which one best answer your performance needs/expectations...
In my case my twin turbo build will give my car 1000+rwhp. But there are superchargers than can get that hp numbers...
I'd go with the turbos, performance gains with no hp loss...

RELAX BODY!!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

I know you don't really want a centri supercharger but it's the cheapest force induction option. The other alternative is a single turbo set up. Both can cause good hp gains for not an incredible amount of money...
Sorry the first post was so long...

RELAX BODY!!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well its like this, no one wants to pay this much money for gods sake. But its gotta happen but finding the cheapest route at making it happen is what this is about.
Now the thing is, I don't really want a centri blower again, even though the one I had first was a blast until I started getting to crazy with things. The centri will have the sweet whistle while you idle around and if you have the charged air blow off like a turbo it sounds pretty cool too. The whine of the twin screw or the tvs style when you're hammered down is sweet too. And the turbos, oh god the turbos, its just awesome.

All that being said, you can make basically the same hp with all the setups. They all have their pros and cons of course. Its just such a hard damn decision.

It doesn't mean ***** to save a little money and go centri if you just end up wishing you had the whipple or the twins.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDAWG29 View Post
But since I just found out that Whipple is still a month or two out on releasing their kits for the 11-14s I still have some time.
What are you talking about? Whipple has had a kit out for these cars for years now.
2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0L Supercharger Kits
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
What are you talking about? Whipple has had a kit out for these cars for years now.
2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0L Supercharger Kits
Yeah but these are the new ones they have out for the 2015. If you read about them they talk about them being way better than the rear inlet type which is all they made previously. So they're talking ***** about all their previous ones and everyone elses lol.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...product_id=294

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT