22k water pump leaking? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
22k water pump leaking?

I'm in the business so I know water pumps leak early in a vehicles life, just sucks when it happens to me. Was checking my clutch line install for any leaks and found dried coolant all over the back of the fan motor. Took it to work and put it on a lift and found coolant dripping from behind the pump pulley. I searched and did not find any additional threads so is this an unusual part failure at this mileage?
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Judging by your name its a 14 correct? And 22k miles the water pump shouldn't be leaking. If it's under warranty take it to the dealer and see why it's leaking...

Be the type of person who leaves a mark, not a scar
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
They have alot of mustangs coming into the dealer with water pumps leaking

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
504gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I was working at Ford when I bought the car and never saw 1. There is no play in the pulley and zero noise so I will just have it replaced and move on. Just wondering if there were many low mileage GT's with the same concern.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

They have the part in stock so I guess its a fast moving part.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
Old 01-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Well my boss always says man makes it, it's gonna break. But being a 2014 it's been out for a while, so the flaws will start showing up.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Or the water pump could have been bad before it was put on the car. It happens with oil filters at my shop. You see nothing wrong with it but it's leaking.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lots of mountain runs and 10 laps at Road Atlanta last weekend....the car gets driven. I dont abuse it but spirited driving is a must. Better now then after warranty expires.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hmm that's sad and I would be angry definitely take it to the shop!
Old 02-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah nothing to be angry about. Drop it off tomorrow and pick it up at the end of the day. It could have been worse.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have never heard of a water pump failing externally. When they fail, usually the vains wear or break, or the bearing goes bad. If u have coolant somewhere externally, I would keep looking for a bad clamp or hairline crack in the thermostat housing. Racing will keep the pressure up, and could get seepage past a clamp that is not in great shape. Most racing aplications have a better style clamp fyi.
Good luck,
Troy
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and picked it up at lunch. Water pump gasket was the culprit, probably bad from the factory. They replaced pump and gasket, pressure tested system and Im good to go. For all the bad raps the dealers get and some for good reason, I have nothing but compliments for Nalley Ford in Sandy Springs.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good to hear. I knew it had to be external.
Dealers are def hit and miss.
Troy
Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I was a service writer there and they have a hand full of techs that are very good. As far as diagnostics go they are not perfect but they are prideful in their work. I bought the car there and will always take it there for warranty work (I service it myself).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT