Rear ended on the way to work... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Rear ended on the way to work...

I was stopped at a stop light and it was raining and a crappy old Acura slammed on it's brakes and slid into the back of my 2014 GT. So here is the question. Should I just go through insurance to fix it or would it be a warranty thing?
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

His insurance should be the one to fix it. They should give you a rental while in the shop too.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea. SHE had no drivers licence and expired insurance. And I'm pretty positive she was too busy texting to see my bright white car sitting there. The cops showed up. He didn't give me a police report or anything. As soon as I get out of the hospital I have to go file a police report and everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Seems like the worst drivers are the ones that do not have insurance. I think the movie "idiocracy" is a good look into our future.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

Region: Georgia
Ouch! That is my biggest fear at the moment. I hope your rear bumper destroyed her car.
bax644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
That's funny...
Not that your car got hit, that stinks. But a girl, I'm assuming a teenager, in a Acura has no license and expired insurance and what did the cop do? Probably nothing...
If she was 18, should've got arrested.
Similar incident happened to my dad, his Porsche got hit and the dudes insurance refused to pay for the damage. Then again it was $15,000 repair bill in '94.

Go away fat man...
-Stewie
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would say sue but expired insurance and an old car. Probably not much money there.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. Yea, you'd think so. She's 30. The cop didn't write her a ticket or anything. No drivers liscense, no insurance, just let her drive away. Pretty sure that if she doesn't have insurance that I'm gonna get screwed. And the cop decided that there was less than $1000 worth of damage so he didn't write a report or anything. I don't have anything against cops or law enforcement. I'm in the military and I've had to work side by side with them several times. With that being said, this cop was a dip****. So now all I have is a picture I took of this ladies passport(only id with a picture of her that she had on her) a picture I took of her liscense plate and a picture I took of her expired insurance. What now? Just call my insurance and hope for the best?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Your insurance policy should cover this. It sucks that your insurance has to cover it, but it should. You'll probably have to pay the deductible for the damages to your car. Your liability should cover your medical expenses.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The cop isn't a claims adjuster. Sound another **** bag wearing a badge.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other

You should have uninsured motorist insurance in your policy that will ultimately fix your car after you pay the deductible. The insurance company will then likely sue her to attempt to recover the loss. Less than 1000 in damages? Well that's not likely if it put you in the hospital. Just a bumper cover along with the paint and labor at the dealer or any reputable repair facility should cost 500-600 plus labor. Then you start to look deeper once the bumper cover is off an the inner bumper structure is likely in need of replacement and then you have to look at the inner structure, trunk floor, mufflers, clips, not to mention the deck lid or taillights if any of that was damaged.

I'm sorry you have to go through all that man. It sucks even when you are hit by someone with insurance. Good luck and make sure you inspect EVERYTHING before you sign on the dotted line to pick the car up after repairs. Most insurance companies offer "life time warranties" on the repairs as long as you own the car but once to accept the car it's much harder to take it back and get them to fix it.

I know it's sad, but post up some pics when you can. I used to be a body guy at a shop and can tell you what to expect.

Just enjoying my 420 HP daily driver
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's the thing though man. It wasn't a bad accident at all. I mean her crappy old 99 Acura took 99% of the damage. Like her front bumper is completely smashed in, her front grill was smashed out of the front, both headlights look like they're gonna fall out, and her hood is pushed in to where it's bulging up in the middle. On the other hand, my car isn't bad at all. The rear bumper took everything. It broke the rear bumper brackets but it hit so flat that it just barely scratched my car. All the damage was taken by the brackets it looks like.
But it's my baby. I mean, I've only had it for 6 months and there's MAYBE $2,500 miles on it. Still hasn't even had it's first oil change. And THAT is why i'm pissed off.

As far as me going to the hospital. I had spine surgery January of last year and then I had my spine fused together November of last year and I'm still recovering. So I had to go get it xrayed to make sure it's all still one piece. And now I have an appointment with my spine surgeon in an hour and a half to look at the xrays and make sure I'm good to go. You should have seen that lady that hit me man. I'm pretty sure she **** her pants when I got out of my car in full military uniform with a spine brace from my crotch to my chin and I hobbled my gimp *** back to her car. She just started crying... Hahahaha.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not entirely sure why I put a dollar sign in front of the 2,500
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^lol. Well I'm with you man. I'd be pist off too. In fact I believe we have the same taste in color and model. Lol. Hope all goes well at the dr.

oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Mercy,hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
Mercy,hope you feel better soon.

Thanks man. Means a lot.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
^lol. Well I'm with you man. I'd be pist off too. In fact I believe we have the same taste in color and model. Lol. Hope all goes well at the dr.

The white is my favorite. I just wish I could have got the saddle leather or red leather interior with it. Or that ruby red color with saddle. Now all I need are the California special side scoops, my oem spoiler painted black, and some charcoal AMR wheels...
Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well. Exterior wise that is. Then it's on to power and sound then handling, stance And braking.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
.........Should I just go through insurance to fix it or would it be a warranty thing?

If your dealer covers an accident under the bumper to bumper wtty they rock!

sorry ya got hit but it'll have to be on your insurance and next time insist on an accident report as w/o proof your insurance may give you grief. An accident serious enough to go to a Hospital (even to just be checked out) needs paperwork. I learned the hard way to get a report for any accident (well, any accident that wasn't my fault)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
You should have uninsured motorist insurance in your policy that will ultimately fix your car after you pay the deductible. The insurance company will then likely sue her to attempt to recover the loss. Less than 1000 in damages? Well that's not likely if it put you in the hospital. Just a bumper cover along with the paint and labor at the dealer or any reputable repair facility should cost 500-600 plus labor. Then you start to look deeper once the bumper cover is off an the inner bumper structure is likely in need of replacement and then you have to look at the inner structure, trunk floor, mufflers, clips, not to mention the deck lid or taillights if any of that was damaged.

I'm sorry you have to go through all that man. It sucks even when you are hit by someone with insurance. Good luck and make sure you inspect EVERYTHING before you sign on the dotted line to pick the car up after repairs. Most insurance companies offer "life time warranties" on the repairs as long as you own the car but once to accept the car it's much harder to take it back and get them to fix it.

I know it's sad, but post up some pics when you can. I used to be a body guy at a shop and can tell you what to expect.

I had a scratch on my front bumper cover and it was going to cost $400 just to sand and repaint. New bumper cover and paint will be way more than $1000. The cop should have done more.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yea. That's what I'm saying. Can I go to a police station and have them write something up for me?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you can try...I'm gonna guess it's not a small town so it'll be harder but I would make an effort unless you're just gonna eat the expense (car and hospital) yourself.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Sorry to hear about the Mustang but the important thing is your health.
I don't understand if she had no drivers license and no insurance why the car was not towed away..............a lot of systems in this great USA are broken..........and this just proves it...
If you got her name and license from the car and if you remember the policeman's name and badge number I would go down to DMV and file an accident report, I think you have 72 hours............this way everything is documented including the policeman and what he did and said.
I had someone hit me from behind in my 97 SVT Cobra and the damage looked minimal, but since I had a ton of money in the rear suspension, Kenny Brown PanHard setup, Steeda UCA's and LCA's.............the total bill was over $5k. In my case the woman had the same insurance as I did.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Good luck finding a rear bumper I was rear ended in November and after waiting until last week ended up buying a used one off eBay. None available from ford every time I checked with body shop they kept moving it back last I checked they said no bumpers till middle of March. It cost me 585 dollars to have the bumper painted and installed not including the cost of the bumper. They are on back order and evidently make them in small batches.
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I got an estimate done today and the insurance adjuster from her insurance company told me that it's only going cost $688.11 for a new rear bumper assembly(rear bumper, the black plastic liscense plate surround, and the lower black plastic piece). That's including the paint and labor and the price of a new bumper and everything. He is an older guy and I very politely informed him that it's now 2015 and I think his numbers are a little bit off...
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Wow I'd punch him the moment he said it. I always wonder why people try to screw people over things they should pay for. Dumbass insurance people think we're idiots...

Dear IRS, please cancel my subscription...
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:

That is very true!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
From my experience you may be in for a headache. About four years ago when I was in highschool I got hit going through a green by a guy turning left and totaled my GTP but had the plpd insurance and live in Michigan were insurance is truly f***ed up. Was an man in his 50's and the cop didn't check out his insurance which was bad. End up going to court and he never showed and ran up north. When he came back just this summer we served him again and he showed claiming he had no idea he was served before(to his face of course). At court the judge told us to leave and settle it ourselves in the hall. The court did not watch over our "deal" or give any special papers, we just had him sign lined paper saying he would pay what he could. We got $100 of the $3000(and we already cut him deals to drop it to 3k) and he just stopped paying. His scumbag of a family was also known for renting and not paying, then forcing landlords to go through evicting then doing it all again. When he stopped paying his cross eyed girlfriend said we could have his crappy S10 (that might be worth $800 on a very good day to someone who needs a vehicle urgently) or try to take him to court again. Basically we got shafted hard by the law all around, cop failed us and so did the courts. Criminals get better treatment than law abiding citizens. Sorry for ranting but I hope you don't get crapped on like I did and everything goes smooth for you
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yea. That sounds absolutely miserable. I called her insurance and they said she was at fault and that they would pay %100 for the damages and that they would keep the claim open until they heard back from me about my medical bills and that those would be covered as well. I spoke to the claims adjuster from her insurance yesterday and this morning I got a call and an email from her insurance saying that they just wrote and sent me,a,check for $688.11 for the damages and that if it costs more than that, all they would have to do is call them up and they would adjust it accordingly. So hopefully it goes as smooth as they're saying it will...
Old 02-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Just keep in mind that you can take your car to any body shop "you" choose.
A lot of years ago I had a very nice street rod, and a truck backed into the door. I took it to Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo who was the Ferrari and Maserati dealer and had one of the best body guys in the state of Oregon. I didn't want any bondo on the car and although I had to fight with the insurance company they finally gave in when my father threatened to get a lawyer.
So, stick to your guns and get it done right with OE parts and good quality paint.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man. That's very good advice. I was going to take it to the dealer I got it from. Maybe I should look around and find an actual body shop.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks man. That's very good advice. I was going to take it to the dealer I got it from. Maybe I should look around and find an actual body shop.
I've been into my local Ford dealer and have made friends with the parts people so I had them take me back to their body shop and the manager showed me some of their work.....it looked good.
One thing to think about is that a lot of body shops are "production" shops, meaning they do mostly insurance business and a lot of the production shops are not always the best because some cut corners. Maybe you have some friends that can steer you in the right direction or call any local Hot Rod Shop and ask who does the best body and paint in the area.......then go see them........touch their work and talk to them about why you are there and what you want............the car to be exactly as it was before the accident..........Just a thought to help you.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
First off, glad you're okay. Secondly, I just went through getting rear ended in my mustang. There was $13,000 in damage done, that's parts and labor. I had to take the car back to the body shop 4 times to get everything right. Don't make her insurance pay for it. Make your insurance pay for all the damages. Your insurance will want to make sure you are happy and won't care about expenses because they will be reimbursed for everything from her insurance. Don't let them screw you. Don't be affraid to mention other problems or concerns with the body shop.

Also, make sure to go after Diminished Value. My car was appraised and it's worth $4,850 less now that it's been in an accident and it shows on the Carfax. The other parties insurance is currently processing payment. Hopefully I'll be getting the check soon.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to give you some advise as, like I said, I just went through the same thing.

You can refference my thread if you need to:
Rear ended: Need your help!
Brockman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I got an estimate done today and the insurance adjuster from her insurance company told me that it's only going cost $688.11 for a new rear bumper assembly(rear bumper, the black plastic liscense plate surround, and the lower black plastic piece). That's including the paint and labor and the price of a new bumper and everything. He is an older guy and I very politely informed him that it's now 2015 and I think his numbers are a little bit off...

Did I miss something in here? I thought her insurance was expired? Glad to hear she does have insurance now, but how do you get insurance when you don't have a license?

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Did I miss something in here? I thought her insurance was expired? Glad to hear she does have insurance now, but how do you get insurance when you don't have a license?

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
You don't need a drivers license to buy insurance for your car! Because....someone else may be driving it! Let's say I'm a lazy stay at home 25 year old with no job but mom with no license buys a Mustang, insures it, and I drive it.
I'm a retired traffic cop (20 years) all I did was work crashes, big or small...or fatal. And write tickets.
I'm going to say this here and hope you pay attention...
ALWAYS INSIST ON AND GET A CRASH REPORT! ON THE SCENE!!!!! Demand it from the responding deputy, trooper, officer, community service aid...whatever.
You WONT get one later, if you don't get one on scene, YOUR INSURNACE WILL F*** YOU!

GET A CRASH REPORT DONE! EVERY TIME.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT