First time messing with a tuner. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
First time messing with a tuner.

Hey guys. I have a 2011 mustang gt. It's pretty much stock aside from some axel backs, res deletes, airaid cai with the cone in it, and a barton shifter. I also have a plx dm-100 that has afr. So I can monitor that. My car came with a bama tuner that has a 91 octane tune, and then two 93 octane tunes one being a ghost came race tune. I don't want to damage cylinder 8, and know absolutely nothing about tuneing. Can someone give me some advice. I cannot afford to destroy my coyote. The reason I want to tune it is to install the cat deletes I have sitting in my shed.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Hey guys. I have a 2011 mustang gt. It's pretty much stock aside from some axel backs, res deletes, airaid cai with the cone in it, and a barton shifter. I also have a plx dm-100 that has afr. So I can monitor that. My car came with a bama tuner that has a 91 octane tune, and then two 93 octane tunes one being a ghost came race tune. I don't want to damage cylinder 8, and know absolutely nothing about tuneing. Can someone give me some advice. I cannot afford to destroy my coyote. The reason I want to tune it is to install the cat deletes I have sitting in my shed.
Make sure you have the most recent tune on the handheld. It was only the really EARLY tunes for coyote that could cause damage.

Call Bama and have them send you the most recent tunes, configure for all of your mods.

P.S. Your car is not "pretty much stock". No, its not modded like some people with Boss or Cobra Jet intakes, cams, headers, oil gears, etc. etc.. but you do have a few things done to it, including intake, exhaust mods & a tune!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Like C-rizzle said, Call bama and tell them you want to get a revised tune now that you own the car. They will ask for the tuner serial# and your ECU# on the car. That number can be found on the passenger side behind the headlight. After that just tell them everything thats on your car etc etc. What tuner do you have SCT? x4? either way you will want to also plug it in to your home computer and go to SCT.com and make sure it is updated with the newest firmware but make sure you put the STOCK tune on your car before you do any of that so you don't lose anything.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sounds good. I have the sct x3 and the bama account is under the previous owners name and I don't believe the account is transferable. So I might have to scavenge up $100 bucks or so. Or at that point should I just go with a John lund tune or some other brand. Are the new bama v2 tunes any good or is it just a placebo, the same old tunes they used to give out. And I really hate to give up the ghost cam tune. I I know bama doesn't offer the ghost cam idle anymore. But I guess I can live with it, if it means not loosing cylinder 8.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Im not sure how Bama does it when its under someone elses name. Im 99% sure that the tunes have been improved and I know this because me and my friend were both Bama tuned at one point but he got his in early 2011 and i got mine in 2014. My car drove different then his. He called Bama and got a new tune and it changed the way his drove. the shifting was way different. But we are Autos
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
When I bought my 14 it had an Airaid CAI and SCT tuner. The kit with the tuner/CAI was purchased by the original owner from Summit Racing. I called direct to SCT and talked to them. They stepped me through putting the car back to stock tune so I could take it to the Ford dealer for service. Putting it back to stock tune was an issue but SCT (through the internet) took out the original tunes....it had a 87,91, and 93 tune..............then stepped me through putting the stock tune back in the car. When I got the car back they helped me through putting the 91 tune back in the car..................They also updated the tunes for me and helped me hook my tuner up to my computer and showed me how to download tunes in the tuner and I didn't pay a dime. All of their help was free.
I would call and talk with directly with SCT..the number is 407-774-2447 and I talked to Mo. Really nice people and the support was a welcome change.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
When I bought my 14 it had an Airaid CAI and SCT tuner. The kit with the tuner/CAI was purchased by the original owner from Summit Racing. I called direct to SCT and talked to them. They stepped me through putting the car back to stock tune so I could take it to the Ford dealer for service. Putting it back to stock tune was an issue but SCT (through the internet) took out the original tunes....it had a 87,91, and 93 tune..............then stepped me through putting the stock tune back in the car. When I got the car back they helped me through putting the 91 tune back in the car..................They also updated the tunes for me and helped me hook my tuner up to my computer and showed me how to download tunes in the tuner and I didn't pay a dime. All of their help was free.
I would call and talk with directly with SCT..the number is 407-774-2447 and I talked to Mo. Really nice people and the support was a welcome change.
Sounds good. I'm 99% sure my car is back to its stock tune. I'll plug it in and double check.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Ok sounds good. I have the sct x3 and the bama account is under the previous owners name and I don't believe the account is transferable. So I might have to scavenge up $100 bucks or so. Or at that point should I just go with a John lund tune or some other brand. Are the new bama v2 tunes any good or is it just a placebo, the same old tunes they used to give out. And I really hate to give up the ghost cam tune. I I know bama doesn't offer the ghost cam idle anymore. But I guess I can live with it, if it means not loosing cylinder 8.
Lund tunes comes with a cammed tune also.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just got off the phone with bama and they informed me that I can not use the previous owners bad bama account, and that it would be $150 for a new account. I have no problem with that. But he also told me that weather or not you have a tune. In stock form cylinder 8 can go out just from beating on the car. and that their tunes include softhwre and parameters from the 2013-14 that Ford uses to minimize the possibility of cylinder 8 going bad. Is this true? Is it true that in stock from I can blow cylinder 8 just from beating on it? And that a bama tune can prevent it? I'm very curious now.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I just got off the phone with bama and they informed me that I can not use the previous owners bad bama account, and that it would be $150 for a new account. I have no problem with that. But he also told me that weather or not you have a tune. In stock form cylinder 8 can go out just from beating on the car. and that their tunes include softhwre and parameters from the 2013-14 that Ford uses to minimize the possibility of cylinder 8 going bad. Is this true? Is it true that in stock from I can blow cylinder 8 just from beating on it? And that a bama tune can prevent it? I'm very curious now.
Sounds like they're just trying to sell you sand even though you live at the beach. Hopefully you don't fall for it like others have.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Sounds like they're just trying to sell you sand even though you live at the beach. Hopefully you don't fall for it like others have.
What would you guys do? Where should I buy my tunes from?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would you guys do? Where should I buy my tunes from?
AED or Lund. Do a little research on both if you want but for a manual those would be my first choice.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So can cylinder 8 go out in stock form. Just from beating on the car?
Old 02-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sure, anything can happen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT