Louder without long tubes or no cats. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 117
Louder without long tubes or no cats.

Well I sat here wondering if I was going to post this question or not. Usually, a question like this i'd have an answer to. Not this time..

I have a 2012 GT with Airraid cold air intake and Borla S-type axle backs. I love the way the car sounds, just wish it was louder. I dont want to remove the cats or do longtubes, because i'd like to keep the warranty. Any other ideas how to keep the s-types but have a louder tone out of it?
__________________
12 GT
Borla Airraid Bama Mmd
afterdarkgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2014Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fort Mill
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 145
If cutouts don't void the warranty then that is the only thing I can think of besides punching out the mufflers.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Cams would increase volume as well but that is probably a no go

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
I suppose your next step would to delete your resonators/get aftermarket OTA pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Cams would increase volume as well but that is probably a no go

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cams on the 5.0 is a whole different world than our SOHCs.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I suppose your next step would to delete your resonators/get aftermarket OTA pipes.



Cams on the 5.0 is a whole different world than our SOHCs.
They don't increase volume?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 117
I was thinkin the same to remove to resonators but didn't know if it would make a noticeable difference.. I had an After cat x-pipe that actually quieted the car down compared to the stock H pipe.
__________________
12 GT
Borla Airraid Bama Mmd
afterdarkgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: McLean
Region: Virginia
Posts: 264
yeah after cat x pipe honestly seems as if it quiets it down a little bit, I'm in the same dilemma as you, I have Roush axle backs and an after cat x pipe but my car is a 14 with about 8300 miles on it and would like to keep the warranty but my exhaust has gotten kind of boring to be honest, not the same excitement as I had when I first got the exhaust on it and I would floor it to hear the exhaust roar, it doesn't do the trick for me anymore lol, I want it louder but I kinda want to keep the warranty, I would do cat deletes but it is illegal however still considering, but I have found pretty much one way that I can some added volume is the boss 302 h pipe with side baffles removed but not sure if thats worth it. Considering just doing other mods like wheels tires and other appearance mods and coming back to exhaust later, but I can't decide what to do.
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
They don't increase volume?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm sure an aggressive cam would but let's just say you wouldn't do a cam swap in a 5.0 strictly for a volume increase.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Screw the warranty, tune the BEEOTCH!
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdarkgt12 View Post
Well I sat here wondering if I was going to post this question or not. Usually, a question like this i'd have an answer to. Not this time..

I have a 2012 GT with Airraid cold air intake and Borla S-type axle backs. I love the way the car sounds, just wish it was louder. I dont want to remove the cats or do longtubes, because i'd like to keep the warranty. Any other ideas how to keep the s-types but have a louder tone out of it?

Hey afterdark,

Have you ever thought about running an After-cat mid pipe?

After cat mid pipes definitely add some volume to your exhaust without touching the cats or manifolds.

I love the JBA After-Cat H-Pipe personally as it is reasonably priced, installs easily, sounds great, and even comes with the post-cat section and a cat-delete pipes so if you decide to delete the cats down the road you can!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey afterdark,

Have you ever thought about running an After-cat mid pipe?

After cat mid pipes definitely add some volume to your exhaust without touching the cats or manifolds.

I love the JBA After-Cat H-Pipe personally as it is reasonably priced, installs easily, sounds great, and even comes with the post-cat section and a cat-delete pipes so if you decide to delete the cats down the road you can!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

Hey Will, Thanks for the reply. I already posted that I already tried the summit after cat X pipe and it actually quieted the car down. Got it from you guys, as always.
__________________
12 GT
Borla Airraid Bama Mmd
afterdarkgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCali5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Beckley
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,396
Sent u a message, afterdark


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Uniontown
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 53
Mine got louder when I removed my resonators
juice_man_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 117
How noticeable ??
__________________
12 GT
Borla Airraid Bama Mmd
afterdarkgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
yeah after cat x pipe honestly seems as if it quiets it down a little bit, I'm in the same dilemma as you, I have Roush axle backs and an after cat x pipe but my car is a 14 with about 8300 miles on it and would like to keep the warranty but my exhaust has gotten kind of boring to be honest, not the same excitement as I had when I first got the exhaust on it and I would floor it to hear the exhaust roar, it doesn't do the trick for me anymore lol, I want it louder but I kinda want to keep the warranty, I would do cat deletes but it is illegal however still considering, but I have found pretty much one way that I can some added volume is the boss 302 h pipe with side baffles removed but not sure if thats worth it. Considering just doing other mods like wheels tires and other appearance mods and coming back to exhaust later, but I can't decide what to do.
That Boss H pipe and side exhaust is discontinued now. Dangit.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Uniontown
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 53
It was definitely a noticeable difference. Not annoying loud though
juice_man_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCali5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Beckley
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,396
It made mine super loud. After taking the resonators off.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
zinc03svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW Missouri
Region: Missouri
Posts: 307
I'm going catless x pipe even though I know it's gonna be loud and stinky. Popping the cats off is a proven mod for more power.
__________________
2014 "Cobra Jet" GT/CS
Automatic, Comfort pkg, Oxford White
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Flcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Palm bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 43
Cut out the resonators like others have said or over the axle pipes. Cheapest and honestly about your only option. And yes there is a pretty good difference. I have that setup and s types like to pop a lot on decel.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Flcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 392
I'm in the same exact boat but with the gt500 axlebacks. Love the tone. Hate the volume. Cut out the resonators. Same awesome tone, much better volume. Now I'm f-ing stuck with the volume unless I wanna void the warranty. Which would almost be worth it at this point for a decent volume increase.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BBK Long Tubes w/ high flow cats + lowering? rebelyelltex 2005-2010 Mustang GT 5 05-18-2014 08:16 AM
Long tubes and catted x need a tune or can you run without? pwrby4d General Mustang Discussion 7 01-14-2014 12:37 AM
What high flow cats with x pipe will replace my stock cats without having to ... krazykraz 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 12-15-2013 02:09 PM
H pipe with or without cats? vnicastro Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 02-26-2011 09:08 AM
With Or Without Cats Nickisme Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 04-10-2009 08:11 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:21 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.