Has anyone ever painted their Roush splitter?? WHY or Why NOT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Exclamation Has anyone ever painted their Roush splitter?? WHY or Why NOT?

Was thinking about doing it, to make it look more like apart of the car any opinions?
DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I think it can look nice depending on the color of your car. But it's going to be easy to damage and look like doodo the first time you hit a parking lot and pull to far forward.

Just enjoying my 420 HP daily driver
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Always thought one would looked good hydrodipped carbon fiber

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I painted mine. I hated that my Roush front splitter, side splitters, rear splitters and boss diffuser would all be different shades of black plastic and my ocd streak took hold and I ended up taking them all off, cleaning them thoroughly and spray painting them satin black. I sprayed a gloss layer on over that just to have some coating over the black to account for road debris/rock chips, then I installed them all and I was pretty happy with it. I didn't want to go crazy with the color so I stuck with black then I just ran red pinstripe all the way across the car. I like how they turned out and they look good in my opinion. But my gf says the red pinstripe looks tacky. Fml. At least it matches the caliper paint job I did. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423383486.305432.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	175035
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423383512.764392.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	175036
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
I painted mine. I hated that my Roush front splitter, side splitters, rear splitters and boss diffuser would all be different shades of black plastic and my ocd streak took hold and I ended up taking them all off, cleaning them thoroughly and spray painting them satin black. I sprayed a gloss layer on over that just to have some coating over the black to account for road debris/rock chips, then I installed them all and I was pretty happy with it. I didn't want to go crazy with the color so I stuck with black then I just ran red pinstripe all the way across the car. I like how they turned out and they look good in my opinion. But my gf says the red pinstripe looks tacky. Fml. At least it matches the caliper paint job I did. Attachment 175035
Attachment 175036

I like the halos you have in the grill, are those the ones on the AM website? Also how do they show up in full daylight?

Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV6Lee View Post
I like the halos you have in the grill, are those the ones on the AM website? Also how do they show up in full daylight?

Thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah, they are the Raxiom ones from AM. Honestly, they show up ok in the daylight. I don't know whether they need more juice from the car or what but when I tested them with a D battery they were brighter than they are on the car.?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah, they are the Raxiom ones from AM. Honestly, they show up ok in the daylight. I don't know whether they need more juice from the car or what but when I tested them with a D battery they were brighter than they are on the car.?

Huh that is odd that it's brother on the D battery.. Thanks though I'm about to buy a 5.0 in the next week or so and I was curious cause I like the look of them! Nice car though bro!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Coyote I'm actually diggin the red pinstripe. Tell the gf to pound sand lol. I was actually contemplating this exact thing the other day when my roush splitter was covered in snow....hmmmm lol

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423517510.444162.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	175101

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Huh that is odd that it's brother on the D battery.. Thanks though I'm about to buy a 5.0 in the next week or so and I was curious cause I like the look of them! Nice car though bro!

I'm sorry man I don't know why I said D when I meant 9v but I'm not sure what the lesser brightness is all about now that it's all hooked up on the car. Who knows. Maybe some power is lost every time wires are spliced and I had to do mine over a few times to get it all set up and extended the length to reach more comfortably.

Congrats on the upcoming 5.0, bro. You're going to love it. Any idea what all the specs are yet or are you still looking? Thanks man I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Coyote I'm actually diggin the red pinstripe. Tell the gf to pound sand lol. I was actually contemplating this exact thing the other day when my roush splitter was covered in snow....hmmmm lol
Attachment 175101

Haha thanks bro, I like em a lot too especially cause it was a $4 mod that actually gets noticed lol I just gave her a good poundin for disrespecting my ride hahaha. But yeah man I think it would look real sick on your white car all around, that would just really make it pop. You could even do other colors if you want and it would look good and still be easily noticeable I think.

The thing about it is, I've been through a lot of trial and error with the pinstriping around the splitters because I was having issues with them tearing from road debris, coming off, scraping the sh*t out of the front splitter on high parking stops and it just being too cold out side right now for me to get them on and secured so I've tried a few different things...
What I have found that works the best is to clean them(like when you're cleaning your car with soap and water) then dry, then wipe the area you are applying the striping to down with alcohol(preferably Barton's, McCormick's or isopropyl) then dry.

Take the striping and start on the very edge of the panel and begin to lay it steadily as straight as you can and without any exposed past the bottom edge(keeping the entire stripe on the plastic) and take it all the way to the furthest edge possible again on the opposite side and cut with scissors.

Run your fingers down it to make sure all is adhering and the creases that form around the bends are squeezed together where there is slack so as little of the underside is exposed as possible so nothing gets under it. Then if your well equipped you already have a heat gun(or if you're me you use your zippo) and run it along the pinstriping and applying pressure following it to enhance the adhesion.

Ok end of my ADHD meds induced instructional rant. Sorry so long guys, hope this helps you out though bro! Lol
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm might be pulling the trigger on a base 2014 deep impact one, they have a list price of about 26k and has 10k miles. The only add on's are custom stitched seats and quarter window louvers. Here are two pics interior seats and exterior. Let me know what you think and what you think I'm might be able to work em down to!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423527299.102529.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	175109 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423527253.752256.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	175108

Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

I paid 28 for my 14 brand new with the brembos (35k sticker) after rebates and a no hassle code issued by my wife's company. I think you can do better than 26. Pull blue book and trade in to get an idea of what they gave that poor sap when he traded it in. Then go from there. I bet you can get it for 23500, maybe better.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I paid 25 for my 14 brand new. 3:73 gears. Cloth seats. Nothing special. But thought you should know. 26 is steep for 10k miles. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful color and I love the interior. But that's a lot for something with 10k on the clock.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I paid 28 for my 14 brand new with the brembos (35k sticker) after rebates and a no hassle code issued by my wife's company. I think you can do better than 26. Pull blue book and trade in to get an idea of what they gave that poor sap when he traded it in. Then go from there. I bet you can get it for 23500, maybe better.

You guys got some great deals on yours then! The guy that traded it in also works for the dealer it's at right now so he probably got a good trade in value for it. So far this is one of the best priced ones anywhere near my location in GA. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot to choose from. I checked KBB and it said 24k-29k purchase price, edmunds quoted about 24.3k. So how much negotiation power would you say I have on it, and what should I go for on a walk out price?

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm sorry man I don't know why I said D when I meant 9v but I'm not sure what the lesser brightness is all about now that it's all hooked up on the car. Who knows. Maybe some power is lost every time wires are spliced and I had to do mine over a few times to get it all set up and extended the length to reach more comfortably.

Congrats on the upcoming 5.0, bro. You're going to love it. Any idea what all the specs are yet or are you still looking? Thanks man I appreciate it!

Haha thanks bro, I like em a lot too especially cause it was a $4 mod that actually gets noticed lol I just gave her a good poundin for disrespecting my ride hahaha. But yeah man I think it would look real sick on your white car all around, that would just really make it pop. You could even do other colors if you want and it would look good and still be easily noticeable I think.

The thing about it is, I've been through a lot of trial and error with the pinstriping around the splitters because I was having issues with them tearing from road debris, coming off, scraping the sh*t out of the front splitter on high parking stops and it just being too cold out side right now for me to get them on and secured so I've tried a few different things...
What I have found that works the best is to clean them(like when you're cleaning your car with soap and water) then dry, then wipe the area you are applying the striping to down with alcohol(preferably Barton's, McCormick's or isopropyl) then dry.

Take the striping and start on the very edge of the panel and begin to lay it steadily as straight as you can and without any exposed past the bottom edge(keeping the entire stripe on the plastic) and take it all the way to the furthest edge possible again on the opposite side and cut with scissors.

Run your fingers down it to make sure all is adhering and the creases that form around the bends are squeezed together where there is slack so as little of the underside is exposed as possible so nothing gets under it. Then if your well equipped you already have a heat gun(or if you're me you use your zippo) and run it along the pinstriping and applying pressure following it to enhance the adhesion.

Ok end of my ADHD meds induced instructional rant. Sorry so long guys, hope this helps you out though bro! Lol

Lol it's ok. I'm the same way. Maybe I'll give it a shot come spring.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
You guys got some great deals on yours then! The guy that traded it in also works for the dealer it's at right now so he probably got a good trade in value for it. So far this is one of the best priced ones anywhere near my location in GA. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot to choose from. I checked KBB and it said 24k-29k purchase price, edmunds quoted about 24.3k. So how much negotiation power would you say I have on it, and what should I go for on a walk out price?

I almost bought a used one the dealer had on the lot and then when I started crunching numbers I realized new was only a little more as they wanted 27500 for a premium with 13k on it. Plus it didn't have the brembos. Mine is a base but I already added leather and most of what I would have wanted from a premium like gps and heated seats, puddle lights ect. So if your handy you can always add that stuff for a fraction of the cost. I'd say you offer them 24 if it's the car you want and let them come back at you. I wouldn't pay a penny more than 24900. They will snap at the chance to flip it if they can even make 500 bucks. Good luck man. Just make sure it's the car you want.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Don't forget the prices you are quoting that you got the car for. A $35k car for $28k? You got a good deal, but trade in and used car prices are based on MSRP. My car was $36k+ MSRP and I paid $29,500. A few months ago, I was looking at a Challenger RT and the dealer offered me $31,500 for the Mustang. I had no intention of trading it in, but they were willing to pay me more than I paid for the car and it has a few miles on it. Their trade in was based on market value and MSRP. A few month old car was worth $31k when it stickered for $36k to them. That's depreciation! I am seeing plenty of used '14s with ridiculous price tags. Whatever the dealer is asking for on a used car, subtract $3k. Make an offer of $4k less and you'll probably seal the deal around $3k less.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be taking your advice. I'll see if I can first get the dealer to make an offer then set my number at the 3-4k less that you mentioned. Since I'll be paying in full up front once it gets pretty close to the number but a little bit off, say my offer $24000 and theirs $24500. Write out my amount on the check and say this is my final take or leave it. But your saying I shouldn't spent over 24900? I feel that would be a reasonable ceiling price I'm just curious how you reached that number.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #18

Region: Kentucky
Mine are at the body now to be painted. I will post pics when completed. Red Candy
tony2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT