Someone convince me to buy a tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Someone convince me to buy a tune

I want to buy a tune but am just not convinced... Please help me see that spending 400$ is worth it!!!!

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Auto or manual?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
My argument is not to get a tune. I had two previous cars I had tuned...by reputable and brand name tuners. Both gave me headaches and stomach aches after. Check engine lights, random misfires, coils going bad. Automatic transmission ruined from way too much added torque.
Yes, the tunes were outstanding as far as major power suddenly tapped into. The problems they created not so outstanding.
Do a few hours of searching threads, especially ones where people had problems after a tune. Don't mind the potential problems you could get?....then yes, a tune for $400 is a crap ton of more power and fun. For a little while.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you are convinced your car is beast mode now, get a tune and see how much more you will love the 5.0H! No doubt they are stout motors stock but you can't go wrong adding more pep (depending on the tuner)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I bought a 14 TrackPak (3.73's) with 2700 miles last year. The guy traded it in on a new 14 Corvette. It has an Airaid CAI/SCT tuner and I think was bought as a package from Summit Racing.
When I test drove the car it had the tune in it (I didn't know it had a tune) and was immediately surprised at the power. Bought the car (with the tuner) and had a issue, not drive train related, so I took the tune out when I took it to the Ford dealer. It just didn't run very good, didn't idle smoothly and felt like it was down on HP. Got it back from the dealer and on my way home I put my foot into it. Before I took the tune out it would happily go into the redline and felt strong, without the tune it struggled to get past 6500...............I came to a stop light and check engine light came on. I took it home and plugged the tuner in and it said it was lean on bank#1. The next morning I called SCT and explained this and they told me it was normal with a CAI and stock tune.................within 30 mines I put the 91 tune back in the car and it was back to its normal healthy self.
Fast forward to this past week and I just got back from a 600 mile road trip down I5 into California..........got 24.5 miles per gallon...........had a lot of fun going over the mountains pushing the car well over 6000rpm in 5th.............and the car performed flawlessly the whole time. I have had the tune for over 3500 miles with no issues and I would never go back. Maybe I'm lucky, but in wet weather the first 3 gears are useless and yet I can cruise in 6th and get over 24 miles per gallon..............and I'm thinking about getting a non-canned tune now.
Oh, you don't need to buy a CAI..........with a stock tune they are pretty much worthless....................IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I ordered an SCT a couple days ago. Happy with my GT today, but looking to see what 93 octane tune might do. In about a week I'll be able to share what changes were noticeable. I'll post the settings selected. Mine is 2013 GT premium w track pack, frpp handling kit, mich pilot sports and an frpp axle-back. Added BMR LCAs w/ relo bracket and UCA/bracket. Daily driver, so changes should be evident.

hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
How do you go about installing a tune. I have a new 14 GT automatic. Not familiar with how this works.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
How do you go about installing a tune. I have a new 14 GT automatic. Not familiar with how this works.
Omg dude don't do it. If you're making monthly payments on a 2014 and need it to go to and from work.
If you're independently wealthy, don't give two craps about having a warranty and paid cash for your 2014, then I would consider a tune. Just make sure when you go to sell it, you tell the poor kid looking at it, what you did to it.

*you have vehicle inspections in Wisconsin! Just wait for the joys of failing inspection because of stupid minor computer crap after a tune.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If warranty is a concern to you, just get a PedalMax or Sprint booster. They don't interact with your CPU at all, and you remove them fairly easily before you take your car in.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Auto or manual?

Manual

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
My argument is not to get a tune. I had two previous cars I had tuned...by reputable and brand name tuners. Both gave me headaches and stomach aches after. Check engine lights, random misfires, coils going bad. Automatic transmission ruined from way too much added torque.
Yes, the tunes were outstanding as far as major power suddenly tapped into. The problems they created not so outstanding.
Do a few hours of searching threads, especially ones where people had problems after a tune. Don't mind the potential problems you could get?....then yes, a tune for $400 is a crap ton of more power and fun. For a little while.

This is another good reason why i posted this thread. How long after was your car having problems? I'm planning on having this car for at least 4 more years and the only thing I have engine wise is intake and axel back (which doesn't really matter here I believe) and wasn't planning on doing anything else besides a tune. So maybe if there really is problems I won't tune it but I was under the impression that tuning it will make the car smoother and better gas mileage possibly ect.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post

You can buy an sct device and load a tune on there form a tuner and then you connect the device via OBDII and bam!
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
I ordered an SCT a couple days ago. Happy with my GT today, but looking to see what 93 octane tune might do. In about a week I'll be able to share what changes were noticeable. I'll post the settings selected. Mine is 2013 GT premium w track pack, frpp handling kit, mich pilot sports and an frpp axle-back. Added BMR LCAs w/ relo bracket and UCA/bracket. Daily driver, so changes should be evident.

Sounds good I was looking into the 93 octane tune from Bama

Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

As for the tune I agree that some people have a bad time with a tune but the guy posting that you have so much problems has to be full of it. I've had a tune for a year on this car and never had a check engine light. He must not know his way around his car or something. If you have a bad tune contact the tuner I'm willing to put money down they will fix it 100% now that our cars have been around for years most of the little here and there f ups have been fixed.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post
As for the tune I agree that some people have a bad time with a tune but the guy posting that you have so much problems has to be full of it. I've had a tune for a year on this car and never had a check engine light. He must not know his way around his car or something. If you have a bad tune contact the tuner I'm willing to put money down they will fix it 100% now that our cars have been around for years most of the little here and there f ups have been fixed.

This is what I thought as well and I thought a tune was supposed to make a car run better lol

Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to tune my car as well but, I have resisted this time. I have gone down that road before and no matter how safe they claim the tunes are there is no warranty. Ford will deny power train related problems with a tune. I got tired of data logging all the time to make sure all was well. It always left a question in my mind...when? Not if, when? I've seen dyno tuned cars have serious issues, canned tune cars have issues, and stock.

It is a gamble plain and simple. Not a horrible odds gamble considering you can replace motors and transmissions for a reasonable price say...3000-7000 grand depending. I don't see the value at this time to trade my 5 year 60k power train for the tune only gain.

If the tunes are so safe and good I think the industry should put their money where their mouth is and cover engine related issues. I know Bama offers a number 8 cylinder warranty but they created that monster and should cover the whole tamale if they want to beat their chest on that one. The fact the rest of the industry won't guaranty, warranty for engine related issues is the warning for me.

Your going about it the right way asking for help to decide. If you can tune and not worry about it then I say tune it and enjoy. If you have doubt you will likely always have that doubt in the back of your mind and it will take the fun out of it. It did for me anyway.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, don't believe me. I'm 44 years old. Do all my own maintenance. Know cars better than most people. Retired law enforcement officer 20 years

BUT FOR SOME REASON I LIKE TO MAKE ***** UP ABOUT TUNES POSSIBLY SCREWING UP YOUR CAR BECAUSE IT HAPPENED TO TWO OF MINE.

Some people never have an issue after a tune. A lot of people do! Research for yourself. Don't forget to take into account the people who never admit they have issues because it's embarrassing to spend $400 plus and you destroy your own transmission or have constant CELs.
I've come to the conclusion that when anyone posts if they should get a tune, they're just looking for 1 or 2 "go ahead, it's awesome" replies and anyone replying that there's significant chances of problems and have had them themselves then they must be making stuff up.
Go ahead kid, tune er up.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Ok, don't believe me. I'm 44 years old. Do all my own maintenance. Know cars better than most people. Retired law enforcement officer 20 years

BUT FOR SOME REASON I LIKE TO MAKE ***** UP ABOUT TUNES POSSIBLY SCREWING UP YOUR CAR BECAUSE IT HAPPENED TO TWO OF MINE.

Some people never have an issue after a tune. A lot of people do! Research for yourself. Don't forget to take into account the people who never admit they have issues because it's embarrassing to spend $400 plus and you destroy your own transmission or have constant CELs.
I've come to the conclusion that when anyone posts if they should get a tune, they're just looking for 1 or 2 "go ahead, it's awesome" replies and anyone replying that there's significant chances of problems and have had them themselves then they must be making stuff up.
Go ahead kid, tune er up.
Whoa whoa whoa please pull over and step out of the car sir. Kidding of course!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
I would like to tune my car as well but, I have resisted this time. I have gone down that road before and no matter how safe they claim the tunes are there is no warranty. Ford will deny power train related problems with a tune. I got tired of data logging all the time to make sure all was well. It always left a question in my mind...when? Not if, when? I've seen dyno tuned cars have serious issues, canned tune cars have issues, and stock.

It is a gamble plain and simple. Not a horrible odds gamble considering you can replace motors and transmissions for a reasonable price say...3000-7000 grand depending. I don't see the value at this time to trade my 5 year 60k power train for the tune only gain.

If the tunes are so safe and good I think the industry should put their money where their mouth is and cover engine related issues. I know Bama offers a number 8 cylinder warranty but they created that monster and should cover the whole tamale if they want to beat their chest on that one. The fact the rest of the industry won't guaranty, warranty for engine related issues is the warning for me.

Your going about it the right way asking for help to decide. If you can tune and not worry about it then I say tune it and enjoy. If you have doubt you will likely always have that doubt in the back of your mind and it will take the fun out of it. It did for me anyway.

This is on point!

Best thing for me when people have opposing sides is, try it. They money spent will give YOU the answer YOU are looking for. If you don't tune it you'll always wonder what if it was. If you do tune and like it, money well spent. If you tune and don't like it then you can tell yourself you've tried it and didn't like it. I was iffy and had this mind set. Loved it and still tuned.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I stated that there are some bad tunes however if you have had that many problems with just two tunes then there is obviously something else going to on.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Im in the same boat as you pretty much... I want to tune but I want my warranty...I only have 8.4k miles on the car and its a DD, here's my advice based on my research ... You'll probably be okay running on a tune from bama BUT there is always a slight chance something can happen. I've heard more people be happy with their bama tunes than not based off of legitimate non biased feedback (I.e. not people who just say I hate bama but have no reason why) but there is still people who have encountered problems. Point in case tune at your own risk... In the end if you have the money go for it. If not then I would wait a while longer see how the cars aging and etc then go from there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I was happy with my bama tune. Only because I had nothing else to compare it to really. I can't compare it to my VMP tune because it's
For my supercharger. But in all honesty the car was a different machine with just the canned tune that bama sends you. I've had a tune on every vehicle I've had except two. And only one ever had a problem. It was only a problem because I kept hitting the torque cap and my car went into limo mode because of it.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:54 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
I was happy with my bama tune. Only because I had nothing else to compare it to really. I can't compare it to my VMP tune because it's
For my supercharger. But in all honesty the car was a different machine with just the canned tune that bama sends you. I've had a tune on every vehicle I've had except two. And only one ever had a problem. It was only a problem because I kept hitting the torque cap and my car went into limo mode because of it.

Did your car stretch out or something??

Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Bahaha I see it show. Should've said LIMP lmao.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Let me just say, I wish I could get a tune for my 14! I can't imagine the fun and power unleashed from a good tune but I have to force myself not to think about it because I can't chance having issues on my DD.

Do this, Google "2014 mustang GT _____ tune problems"
Insert brand of choice in the blank. Read all you can and then decide.
I just can't do it. Maybe someday if its not a DD and a play toy only but not now when it has to do right when I hit the go button and pass a state inspection every year.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Omg just tune the fu#&ing car and stop this nonsense. Convince me why you should get fake tits said no man on earth so why are we talking about convincing a guy to tune. Ummm because it's fun, it's fast and it just makes it better.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Omg just tune the fu#&ing car and stop this nonsense. Convince me why you should get fake tits said no man on earth so why are we talking about convincing a guy to tune. Ummm because it's fun, it's fast and it just makes it better.

Lol win

Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

I understand how most of you guys are young and don't want to risk breaking the motor.........the trans and rearend really don't count as you can break them with the OE tune and they may or may not honor your warranty depending on weather they feel you've been abusive. The one thing about a warranty.........it's at the "Dealers Discretion", and if you don't have the dealer on your side you've lost...........plain and simple.
What gets me is about this thread is that this is "Hot Rodding" guys (if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire), and there are no guarantees..........never have been, unless you buy a FPP blower or Roush blower, then you get one, but even those are "limited". So, for a manufacturer that sells a tuner and sells it to Joe Blow customer............it's out of his hands and he can't control what the customer is going to do with it or how he is going to change it. My SCT has three tunes, one for 87, one for 91 and for 93..............Sure I could go out and use the 93 tune on 91 gas......and probably melt down a piston or break a ringland..........so how is the manufacturer going to protect himself/herself against that? I can't use 93 because we don't have it available or I would.
When I bought my car the tune and CAI was already there...........so I had no choice. After I took the tune out and felt how crappy it drove with the OE tune and CAI I could have opted to take the Airaid off and replace it with a factory box............if I could have found one for a decent price. So I put it back in and I'm glad I did. So far I haven't had any issues and the extra HP is really fun to drive for this ole 70 year old.
So.............if you don't want to put a tune in your car and play it safe for the next 2/3/4 years............then don't.
One last ramble...........I've built dozens of racing motors over my life time and those are the only motors I have ever trusted to not come apart..........and they have never failed me..........not once. Who is to say that if your 5.0 (stock) comes apart under warranty and you just waltz into your nearest Ford dealer and say............fix it, it's broken, that they will. There is going to be a thousand questions and when they look a lowered car with special suspension and other mods...........they may just say NO.
If my motor comes apart and they won't cover it under the factory warranty............I'll fix it myself and build it the way Ford should have built it. I've built almost every kind of American made gas motor and I'd love to tear into the 5.0l, but this is my opinion and like belly buttons, everyone has one.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The car has 33k miles on it... I really wanna get everything I can out of the car but I'm going to have this car for at least 2-3 more years if not longer so I want it to last. Obviously people are going to take both sides on tuning but I'm not seeing a reason not to tune it lol

Old 02-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
These two statements are contradictory: i really want everything out of this car and, I want it to last.

That said, tune unleashes the fun in this car. The factory tune is paralytic in this thing. It was a huge disappointment to me on the test drive but, I knew the cure.

I used the FRPP Procal tune. I paid 280 bucks for the tuner and filter combo and I've put this full bloat car in the 11s on it. Money well spent that.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Convince me to buy new tires. The ones I have are showing metal and spark when I take off. I really want the car to be safe but I like sparks and can't decide what's best for me. Olerodder : that was the led zeppelin version of all posts. I got 3 pages in and said F it I can't read this anymore. Kaveh14GT tune your car and you will feel the effects of the little blue pill. But remember if it lasts longer then 4 hours call your doctor.

2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Convince me to buy new tires. The ones I have are showing metal and spark when I take off. I really want the car to be safe but I like sparks and can't decide what's best for me. Olerodder : that was the led zeppelin version of all posts. I got 3 pages in and said F it I can't read this anymore. Kaveh14GT tune your car and you will feel the effects of the little blue pill. But remember if it lasts longer then 4 hours call your doctor.

Wow, I'm surprised you even knew who Led Zeppelin was!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Stairway to Heaven. Last song played at every school dance I went to.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

I'd been out of high school for a longtime, but the first song I remember was "The Immigrant Son" in 70.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
These two statements are contradictory: i really want everything out of this car and, I want it to last.

That said, tune unleashes the fun in this car. The factory tune is paralytic in this thing. It was a huge disappointment to me on the test drive but, I knew the cure.

I used the FRPP Procal tune. I paid 280 bucks for the tuner and filter combo and I've put this full bloat car in the 11s on it. Money well spent that.

It's not contradictory... Lol it's figuring out the balance between the both that's why I'm asking

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT