Oil Change - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
You don't burn oil if it needs to be changed. Read my whole post.
If you were referring to my comments above, I don't see anything that addresses the oil loss starting at 3,000 miles.
If you were not referring to my comments, my apologizes.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
dupe post

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
It's normal to have some oil loss between changes. More so if you run it harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
It's normal to have some oil loss between changes. More so if you run it harder.

==============================
that's the reason for the catch can !

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nothing bad about blow by either.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, a little blow by is acceptable, if you have forced induction.
If you don't have forced induction, anything more than a top off between 6000 mile oil changes is excessive in my opinion I guess I'm lucky, with my old school break in, none of my cars use oil between oil changes.. MY tailpipe is clean with no evidence of oil use. I just had a Blackstone last week all seems well with 6000 mile change on Mobile 1 extended use. First time with that product in my 14 GT, and am very happy. I refilled with RP 5-20 this time and am looking forward to a comparison between the two.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 11-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you don't have forced induction, anything more than a top off between 6000 mile oil changes is excessive in my opinion I guess I'm lucky, with my old school break in, none of my cars use oil between oil changes.. MY tailpipe is clean with no evidence of oil use. I just had a Blackstone last week all seems well with 6000 mile change on Mobile 1 extended use. First time with that product in my 14 GT, and am very happy. I refilled with RP 5-20 this time and am looking forward to a comparison between the two.

Yes and no. All depends on how you built your motor. Big turbo cars and big nitrous cars, you set the ring gap loose. So you will have blow by with this.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes and no. All depends on how you built your motor. Big turbo cars and big nitrous cars, you set the ring gap loose. So you will have blow by with this.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

For sure.. although I'm talking about stock engines.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

With a high compression V8 you are going to get some blow by forced induction or not. A quart of oil between changes I would consider normal.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry Dave a quart between oil changes is not normal.... Unless a your Ford adviser.. LOL

Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry Dave a quart between oil changes is not normal.... Unless a your Ford adviser.. LOL

Depends on the motor. So yes it can be normal.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Oil Change

Mobile-friendly - Jun 30, 2015 - “Oil consumption is normal on all engines,” BMW spokesman Hector Arellano-Belloc said in an e-mailed statement. “BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.”

That's a quote from BMW. I have not owned my 5.0 or put enough miles on it to get a feel on how it's going to be but I have never owned a V8 that didn't use some oil. A guy at work was going around with BMW and that is what they told him. I suspect the Mustang will be better than that my F150 is about a quart for 5000 miles so far.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Depends on the motor. So yes it can be normal.

������and ������ fed coyote.
I disagree. A properly built and broken in engine will not burn/blow by oil. I used to run 12.5 compression ratio on my (race) cars (most of them), and if they burnt oil I'd check it out when I did my rebuild. Always found an out of round cylinder or rings just not seating properly, valve seals or gas in the oil. (prior to a final carb tune) That's why I'm so anal about breaking in my engine. With fuel injection no more gas in oil. So it leads me to believe poor break in schedule. My engines always look they have brand new tail pipes.
Factory reps will always say that it is normal to burn oil. Imagine having to repair all the engine that burn oil. With todays technology there is no excuse for for this.

Reasons yest but no excuse.

Just my opinion based on FORTY years of racing. 'nuff said on this subject for me.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

So after 40 years of experience, you still can't explain to me why my car doesn't use a single drop of oil in 3000 miles. Then, it suddenly uses 1 qt per thousand thereafter.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
So after 40 years of experience, you still can't explain to me why my car doesn't use a single drop of oil in 3000 miles. Then, it suddenly uses 1 qt per thousand thereafter.

Are you kidding me? you are not using a quart of oil suddenly after 3000 miles.......
You need to get some real life experience before you make challenges like that.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Oil Change

That's what I have been posting for the past month on this thread. And you, and others, keep insulting me... Or maybe I'm taking your responses harshly. Lol! Nobody has came up with a reason. I just checked the oil this wknd with about 2500 miles on it. Right on full.
I'm not a complete novice to owning and maintaining cars. I'm a mechanical engineer, and a perfectionist in many ways. I'm not making this up. Last change it was full at 3000, down 1/2 qt at 3500, and I had it changed at 4000 - dealer logged it at 1 qt low, which matched my own reading.

Ps. What it sounds like you said, "get older, then your car won't use oil." That's an even worse answer than saying, "I have never seen this before, and it's hard to believe. Tell me more."
I think it was your previous response that said "it's cars 101" or something.
I would just like somebody to explain this, without insulting me.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
That's what I have been posting for the past month on this thread. And you, and others, keep insulting me... Or maybe I'm taking your responses harshly. Lol! Nobody has came up with a reason. I just checked the oil this wknd with about 2500 miles on it. Right on full.
I'm not a complete novice to owning and maintaining cars. I'm a mechanical engineer, and a perfectionist in many ways. I'm not making this up. Last change it was full at 3000, down 1/2 qt at 3500, and I had it changed at 4000 - dealer logged it at 1 qt low, which matched my own reading.

Ps. What it sounds like you said, "get older, then your car won't use oil." That's an even worse answer than saying, "I have never seen this before, and it's hard to believe. Tell me more."
I think it was your previous response that said "it's cars 101" or something.
I would just like somebody to explain this, without insulting me.

I will say this I've have put 4000 miles on mine this year I'm also a mechanical guy and mine did same as yours. I changed mine myself and it was a quart low.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I will say this I've have put 4000 miles on mine this year I'm also a mechanical guy and mine did same as yours. I changed mine myself and it was a quart low.
Noted!
Now just for the record was it down when you were around 2500 to 3000 miles?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I disagree. A properly built and broken in engine will not burn/blow by oil. I used to run 12.5 compression ratio on my (race) cars (most of them), and if they burnt oil I'd check it out when I did my rebuild. Always found an out of round cylinder or rings just not seating properly, valve seals or gas in the oil. (prior to a final carb tune) That's why I'm so anal about breaking in my engine. With fuel injection no more gas in oil. So it leads me to believe poor break in schedule. My engines always look they have brand new tail pipes.
Factory reps will always say that it is normal to burn oil. Imagine having to repair all the engine that burn oil. With todays technology there is no excuse for for this.

Reasons yest but no excuse.

Just my opinion based on FORTY years of racing. 'nuff said on this subject for me.

Wrong yet again. Obviously you have never owners anything making good anything. A built motor designed for big *** nitrous or a big boost will have a loose ring gap. And will have blow by.

12.5 compression ??!wow dam that's a race car there boy.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Noted!

Now just for the record was it down when you were around 2500 to 3000 miles?

Not really it seemed between 3-4K is when the level went down. I went ahead and changed rather than add a qt because I really don't know if the right oil was in there or not. My Boss calls for 5w 50 which a lot of places don't carry. So wasn't sure if it even had the right oil. But that was one change so I'll see what happens next time. I put Castrol Edge Titanium full synthetic with a K&N filter I'll see how it does this time.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wrong yet again. Obviously you have never owners anything making good anything. A built motor designed for big *** nitrous or a big boost will have a loose ring gap. And will have blow by.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

Fast and loose!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

������and ������ fed coyote.
As I've been looking through this forum I've noticed that most of your posts are negative and hurtful.. You must hate your life to just constantly put down other forum members.. Why don't you grow up. Why don't you try to be positive and contribute instead of criticizing everyone. I'm surprised that the forum administrators haven't mentioned this to you.
I

Old 11-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As I've been looking through this forum I've noticed that most of your posts are negative and hurtful.. You must hate your life to just constantly put down other forum members.. Why don't you grow up. Why don't you try to be positive and contribute instead of criticizing everyone. I'm surprised that the forum administrators haven't mentioned this to you.

I

I have contributed more than you could dream off my friend.
I don't sugar coat stuff though.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT