Oil Change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 44
Oil Change

How often should I change the oil in my 2011 Mustang GT ?? My first GT ever that I bought in Nov. of 2014 with 14,500 miles on it. Mint condition. (Naples, Fl. car) I'm 73 and going through my second childhood. Now I have 16,300 miles on it , love the car with 6 speed manual and A Roush muffler system on it. Love the sound. Also, what type of oil should I use ?? Thanks for any input.
jgreen523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
I'd use 5-20 full synthetic and with my 5-6K a year toy I change it by time rather than miles. My OLM says 1x year. For me the every 9 months is 4x in 3yrs which makes me sleep at night. Enjoy the 2nd life as a child.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle
Region: Washington
Posts: 414
If you are going to change the oil every 5k the motorcraft 5/20 is good. You can go 10k with a synthetic and I would recommend a 5/30 that will give you a little more leeway as the oil shears down as the miles get closer to the change interval. Depends on your use as well, unless you are dragging or tracking I would run Mobil1 ep 5/30, Amzoil 5/30 or Pennzoil platinum 5/30 Pennzoil Platinuum ultra 5/30.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 44
Oil change

Thank you guys for your input. Very much appreciated.
jgreen523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen523 View Post
Thank you guys for your input. Very much appreciated.

From Naples? You sound familiar


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 44
Thank you guys for your input....
jgreen523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
UrMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Morris
Region: Illinois
Posts: 630
I run Mobil 1 extended 5w-20 and change it when the OLM gets down to or below 15% or 6 months. Whatever would occur first. Your car should specify 5w-20.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 GT Premium A6 glass roof.
Dynatech LT's, OR-X, Kooks Axle-back, Circle D 5c, Boss IM, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, BMR LCA's, adj UCA & Panhard,Strange 10 way struts, 331 gears tuned by AED.
UrMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Aurora
Region: Missouri
Posts: 471
I go one year or by the OLM on my 14 GT. My first oil change was at 4,600 miles at the year anniversary of when the car was built and the OLM was at 43%. I'm about to do my second oil change with 6,900 miles on this change and my OLM is at 8% and in about a month it will be a year since I last changed the oil.

I use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend with the Motorcraft FL500s filter.

Wayne
__________________
2014 GT/automatic/Sterling Gray Metallic/GT500AB/GT500 OTA pipes/Bob's oil catch can/Ford aluminum finned diff cover. Ford STB.
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen523 View Post
How often should I change the oil in my 2011 Mustang GT ?? My first GT ever that I bought in Nov. of 2014 with 14,500 miles on it. Mint condition. (Naples, Fl. car) I'm 73 and going through my second childhood. Now I have 16,300 miles on it , love the car with 6 speed manual and A Roush muffler system on it. Love the sound. Also, what type of oil should I use ?? Thanks for any input.
10k or once year which ever comes first. Roll with Mobil 1 EP or Royal Purple.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 44
Oil Change

Thank you for your input............
jgreen523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
scott_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 774
I also do a once a year oil change using Mobil1 extended performance 5w 20, I average about 5k miles/yr
__________________
2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
RWSRWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Cost
Region: Florida
Posts: 64
Welcome from Punta Gorda, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	193409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	193410  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	193411  
__________________
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 129
I hate to sound old school, but I have a reason.
Right now I'm using Motorcraft 5-20 semi-synthetic, changed at the dealer. Here is my observation.
1000 miles after oil change, it's on full.
2000 miles after oil change, it's on full
3000 miles after oil change, it's on full.
3500 miles after oil change, it's down 1/2 Qt.
Now seriously... What changed? It wasn't the engine, the weather, or my driving. The oil was worn out at 3000 miles. So that's my limit. I'm doing 3000 miles.
I suspect that a full synthetic would perform better. But I don't think it will do 3x's better - which would be the price point. Just my own experience and opinion for my car - 3k, dealer Motorcraft. At least until warranty is up.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
RWSRWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Cost
Region: Florida
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
I hate to sound old school, but I have a reason.
Right now I'm using Motorcraft 5-20 semi-synthetic, changed at the dealer. Here is my observation.
1000 miles after oil change, it's on full.
2000 miles after oil change, it's on full
3000 miles after oil change, it's on full.
3500 miles after oil change, it's down 1/2 Qt.
Now seriously... What changed? It wasn't the engine, the weather, or my driving. The oil was worn out at 3000 miles. So that's my limit. I'm doing 3000 miles.
I suspect that a full synthetic would perform better. But I don't think it will do 3x's better - which would be the price point. Just my own experience and opinion for my car - 3k, dealer Motorcraft. At least until warranty is up.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
==============================

undoubtedly some of it is BLOW-BY

through the PCV system

an oil separator would tell the tale far better.

RWSRWS
__________________
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
I change my oil every 2,500 miles.
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
I change my oil every 2,500 miles.
Why? Waste of money, but it's your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
I hate to sound old school, but I have a reason.
Right now I'm using Motorcraft 5-20 semi-synthetic, changed at the dealer. Here is my observation.
1000 miles after oil change, it's on full.
2000 miles after oil change, it's on full
3000 miles after oil change, it's on full.
3500 miles after oil change, it's down 1/2 Qt.
Now seriously... What changed? It wasn't the engine, the weather, or my driving. The oil was worn out at 3000 miles. So that's my limit. I'm doing 3000 miles.
I suspect that a full synthetic would perform better. But I don't think it will do 3x's better - which would be the price point. Just my own experience and opinion for my car - 3k, dealer Motorcraft. At least until warranty is up.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
How do you know the oil was "worn out"? If you really want to know the status of your oil and engine, get an oil sample tested. Blackstone Labs does a great job at a reasonable cost. And the reports will compare your samples over time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 129
Yes I could... Do you know how much the analysis is? I was thinking $50 for some reason. After reading the data from other guys using Motorcraft 5-20, I'm pretty sure the analysis will show that the oil has a lower viscosity after 3k miles than it did when new. All the test I have read indicate that the Motorcraft oil holds up fairly well, but reduces in viscosity with mileage more than full synthetic (I know... Stating the obvious... Lol!) Tests indicate motorcraft should be ok for 5k+ miles - but I don't remember how many. The big question... When does it reduce in viscosity enough to matter?
For me, I decided that when it has reduced in viscosity enough that it starts using it... It's time to change it. (Yes, I am whole-heartedly convinced that the lower viscosity is causing the minimal oil use described) It's not like I'm "throwing money away" on a $35 change. And, buying 1 qt to add is about $5. So, I'm just a little conservative, but it's not like I would save a ton to add oil, and postpone the change.
I'm actually a little surprised by all the guys going off the Oil Life Monitor. Mine won't tell me to change until 9k+ And that seems frighteningly long.

Now, after warranty period is up... I may begin changing the oil myself and using synthetic. If it would do 10k, it might be worth the premium cost. I like the specs on Redline 5-20.

Side note - I'm very happy to let the dealer change the oil, frequently, with Ford oil - I had engine work done on warranty already, and I don't want to get into an oil debate with Ford. On here it's just for fun πŸ˜‰


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
There is nothing wrong with changing the oil based on the OLM. There's a reason why Ford has it there and if it says you can go 9,000-10,000 miles so be it.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Noodles76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,198
About every 3000 miles or by the date of the sticker. Usually the date comes first. I have lifetime oil changes so going early makes no difference to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
your dealer does lifetime oil changes at 3K?! normally the only way they do it is by the OLM....the 3K stickers are intended for paying customers.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Noodles76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,198
Oil Change

They will go by the date on the sticker which is every three months. I average about 600 miles a month. And I am a paying customer, the lifetime oil change was $199.00.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
skyline247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
They will go by the date on the sticker which is every three months. I average about 600 miles a month. And I am a paying customer, the lifetime oil change was $199.00.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
That is ridiculously cheap! Is it the cheap stuff or does it cover full synthetic?

It may sound surprising but most new cars can go 7.5-10k miles (or more) between oil changes, especially with full synthetic oil. That being said, I personally don't like going beyond 3k miles on my own cars. I used 5w-20 when I had the 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
__________________
1988 GT - Stock

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
They will go by the date on the sticker which is every three months. I average about 600 miles a month. And I am a paying customer, the lifetime oil change was $199.00.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I need to get this deal on my next vehicle. Looking at buying a new vehicle for the first time ever.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
thelastsumurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 371
Your cam positions are adjusted by hydraulics. These hydraulic adjusters are tuned and setup for 20 Wt oil. I use RP 5-20 All the time. I know that some people use various weights. But I don't think you are getting the correct cam positions for max power with another weight. If you are doing motorX or similar racing you probably need a 5-50 to keep engine temp reasonable and viscosity up. But I believe that in doing so you wont get maximum cam positions for HP. I can't remember what magazine I read it in but it sounds reasonable.
And of course I believe everything I read. LOL
__________________
'16 Eco-Boost Premium, White, Performance Pkg, 6R80 (again), Pwr Ebony Lthr with Nether Region Cooling, Adaptive Cruise Control, Enhanced Security Pkg., Reverse Park Assist., Big Worm OTT Graphix.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Noodles76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,198
Oil Change

It's the Motorcraft synthetic blend. My wife's car came with lifetime oil changes and it gets full synthetic every 5000 miles. Her car is a scion xb.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
skyline247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
It's the Motorcraft synthetic blend. My wife's car came with lifetime oil changes and it gets full synthetic every 5000 miles. Her car is a scion xb.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Wow. That's a great deal. I have to look out for this the next time I buy a car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
__________________
1988 GT - Stock

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Noodles76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,198
I miss spoke earlier it's every 6 months that I get the oil changed. Just looked at the service records.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Yes I could... Do you know how much the analysis is? I was thinking $50 for some reason. After reading the data from other guys using Motorcraft 5-20, I'm pretty sure the analysis will show that the oil has a lower viscosity after 3k miles than it did when new. All the test I have read indicate that the Motorcraft oil holds up fairly well, but reduces in viscosity with mileage more than full synthetic (I know... Stating the obvious... Lol!) Tests indicate motorcraft should be ok for 5k+ miles - but I don't remember how many. The big question... When does it reduce in viscosity enough to matter?
For me, I decided that when it has reduced in viscosity enough that it starts using it... It's time to change it. (Yes, I am whole-heartedly convinced that the lower viscosity is causing the minimal oil use described) It's not like I'm "throwing money away" on a $35 change. And, buying 1 qt to add is about $5. So, I'm just a little conservative, but it's not like I would save a ton to add oil, and postpone the change.
I'm actually a little surprised by all the guys going off the Oil Life Monitor. Mine won't tell me to change until 9k+ And that seems frighteningly long.

Now, after warranty period is up... I may begin changing the oil myself and using synthetic. If it would do 10k, it might be worth the premium cost. I like the specs on Redline 5-20.

Side note - I'm very happy to let the dealer change the oil, frequently, with Ford oil - I had engine work done on warranty already, and I don't want to get into an oil debate with Ford. On here it's just for fun πŸ˜‰


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Only $28 - the website is Blackstone Labs You have to use the hyphen or it takes you to some body building website.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Konawin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 118
I'm running Royal Purple 5-20 synthetic and changing on a 5,000 mile interval. Because I don't daily drive mine, it works out to about a 12 month interval as well. If you're not leaving oil on the garage floor, your low on oil most probably due to "blow-by". I regularly empty my small catch can every 2-3 months. It usually will have 1-2 oz inside.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konawin View Post
I'm running Royal Purple 5-20 synthetic and changing on a 5,000 mile interval. Because I don't daily drive mine, it works out to about a 12 month interval as well. If you're not leaving oil on the garage floor, your low on oil most probably due to "blow-by". I regularly empty my small catch can every 2-3 months. It usually will have 1-2 oz inside.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Yes, that is the most likely cause of my oil use. And it isn't a lot of oil. But it doesn't explain why it doesn't use any for the 1st 3000 miles. And suddenly, it drinks 1 qt per thousand miles after 3000. Sounds like a good time to change the oil... 😁


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
thelastsumurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 371
If you are using oil it's not because the oil needs to be changed. That'sCars 101...

There are other reasons that may cause you to lose oil. Wipe your finger around the tail pipe and see if it's black and sooty.. If there is soot you are burning oil... Thats the reason you are losing oil.. If not, time to get under the car and check for oil leaks.. It may only leak under higher pressures. (like bad oil filter seal) Wipe the oil filter base...the oil level sending unit and just run a rag under the engine like your cleaning it. Check for oil around the transmission, etc..... Of course you have already checked the oil drain plug.

If none of these things reveal anything smell the oil dipstick tube for gas. If you have gas getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil that could explain why the oil is being blown out after a certain amount of driving hours....
__________________
'16 Eco-Boost Premium, White, Performance Pkg, 6R80 (again), Pwr Ebony Lthr with Nether Region Cooling, Adaptive Cruise Control, Enhanced Security Pkg., Reverse Park Assist., Big Worm OTT Graphix.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
If you are using oil it's not because the oil needs to be changed. That'sCars 101...

There are other reasons that may cause you to lose oil. Wipe your finger around the tail pipe and see if it's black and sooty.. If there is soot you are burning oil... Thats the reason you are losing oil.. If not, time to get under the car and check for oil leaks.. It may only leak under higher pressures. (like bad oil filter seal) Wipe the oil filter base...the oil level sending unit and just run a rag under the engine like your cleaning it. Check for oil around the transmission, etc..... Of course you have already checked the oil drain plug.

If none of these things reveal anything smell the oil dipstick tube for gas. If you have gas getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil that could explain why the oil is being blown out after a certain amount of driving hours....
But OP was saying it doesn't use/lose any oil until it hits 3,000 miles.
His earlier speculation was that the oil loses it viscosity at around 3,000 miles causing it to start using/losing it.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
thelastsumurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 371
You don't burn oil if it needs to be changed. Read my whole post.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 129
Thank you DieHard.

In theory, the oil never wears out. It just gets polluted. That's why it gets recycled. So, let's take that to an extreme - just skip your next change, and slap on a new filter at 10k. Filters remove any debris... Should be good to go. All the theoretic calculations prove it.... Didn't think anyone would. 😊

I never expected the car guys on here to encourage me to change oil LESS frequent. Lol! 😳 There is nothing wrong with 3k, and at $35 I'm not really wasting money. 3k was the standard for decades.
In other cars I have heard of too many engine failures because owners did 10k changes. Sure, it's fine now, but let's see after warranty, around 150k. I'm conservative, but that should be applauded. Which used car would you rather buy? The one with religious 3k changes, or the one with OLM 10k changes?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Thank you DieHard.

In theory, the oil never wears out. It just gets polluted. That's why it gets recycled. So, let's take that to an extreme - just skip your next change, and slap on a new filter at 10k. Filters remove any debris... Should be good to go. All the theoretic calculations prove it.... Didn't think anyone would. 😊

I never expected the car guys on here to encourage me to change oil LESS frequent. Lol! 😳 There is nothing wrong with 3k, and at $35 I'm not really wasting money. 3k was the standard for decades.
In other cars I have heard of too many engine failures because owners did 10k changes. Sure, it's fine now, but let's see after warranty, around 150k. I'm conservative, but that should be applauded. Which used car would you rather buy? The one with religious 3k changes, or the one with OLM 10k changes?
3K was the standard to get suckers in to change their oil when it wasn't necessary. Apparently you're one of them unfortunate people to fall for it. Yes it's a waste.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smell oil burning thru interior air vents after oil change dentman43 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 10-27-2014 09:36 AM
First oil change what oil sinister 2011-2014 Mustang GT 48 08-18-2014 08:57 AM
To change or not to change? Djulin 2011-2014 Mustang GT 13 04-03-2013 11:20 AM
Oil, Oil Additives, Oil Filters, FACTS robb15033 General Mustang Discussion 2 08-02-2012 12:37 PM
Oil Change problems 94sexystang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 20 09-30-2003 11:14 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:46 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.