Boss intake question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Boss intake question

I didnt know if this should fall under the install thread so if so apologies. I recently had the Boss intake and an 85mm throttle body. I can definitely feel improvement in throttle response and there is a definite pull above 3500-4000 rpms. My question is this. The car seems quieter now. mainly at idle and up to like 2000 rpms. Is this a byproduct of more airflow maybe. I know that while it isn't huge the upper increase is through a slight sacrafice in low end torque. Is that the cause? For what its worth I have off road H pipe and muffler deletes.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't know exactly why it would be quieter. Did you have the Sound tube on the stock intake and now no sound tube w/ Boss? Are you talking the exhaust seem quieter or the motor? Car is looking good, what % tint did you use on your headlights?
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I don't know exactly why it would be quieter. Did you have the Sound tube on the stock intake and now no sound tube w/ Boss? Are you talking the exhaust seem quieter or the motor? Car is looking good, what % tint did you use on your headlights?
Sound tube was off before. It is more that the exhaust is quieter not the engine. Really only quieter up to about 1500-2000 rpm's. I will say that the idle seems to bet set lower with this MPT tune I am running vs. previous tune so that is some of it. Probably about 600 now.

Thanks for compliments, means allot coming from you and your sweet ride!! As for tint I do not know the % but I got from a place called Subject9.com. Actually bought through Ebay but they have a site also. was like $35 I think for all headlights, taillights and all side markers and all reflectors. Believe it was a 17 pc. set. They offer regular and darker. I got the darker.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I liked the Boss IM while NA as I thought the top end gains were well worth the little bit of loss down low but I can see people who like a "torquey" feel don't care for it as much. The huge difference is when you continue on your build and go FI. That is where the Boss IM will shine for you. I didn't really notice a sound difference going to the Boss IM, but the exhaust changes I made were changing at the same time. One thing to consider that a lot of people overlook is your over axle exhaust setup. Running a 3" OA pipe from your mid pipe makes a pretty nice tone change. You will gain volume in sound and the note will become noticeably lower. I just kept my 3" over axle pipes from the magnaflow catback system I had and adapted OEM GT500 quads to fit the 3" OA pipes but now, there are some 3" OA pipes available for purchase as stand alone pipes.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I liked the Boss IM while NA as I thought the top end gains were well worth the little bit of loss down low but I can see people who like a "torquey" feel don't care for it as much. The huge difference is when you continue on your build and go FI. That is where the Boss IM will shine for you. I didn't really notice a sound difference going to the Boss IM, but the exhaust changes I made were changing at the same time. One thing to consider that a lot of people overlook is your over axle exhaust setup. Running a 3" OA pipe from your mid pipe makes a pretty nice tone change. You will gain volume in sound and the note will become noticeably lower. I just kept my 3" over axle pipes from the magnaflow catback system I had and adapted OEM GT500 quads to fit the 3" OA pipes but now, there are some 3" OA pipes available for purchase as stand alone pipes.
Thanks man. I am definitely going to go with Vortech as soon as funds allow it so thats perfect. I will look into the 3" pipes. trying to decide if I want to incorporate long tubes as well. the build is never done, lol
Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

never ever

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT