2015 irs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2015 irs?

Would it be possible to take the irs off the 2015 mustang and put it on a 2011-2014?
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm sure with the right amount of money it could be done.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Probably a ridiculous amount of money. OP, buy a 15 if you want a Mustang and IRS. Completely different designs. Ford only used the 13-14 as a testing body for the 15, and remember, they can spend however much they need.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Save your money....Fays2 Watts link. Absolutely transforms the car.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Save your money....Fays2 Watts link. Absolutely transforms the car.

Much better out there than Fays2... That's the equivalent of SR parts from AM

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Everyone doesn't autox man. Don't always have that state of mind thinking people need the best of everything! It's probably good for day to day driving like most of us to and occasional track.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Everyone doesn't autox man. Don't always have that state of mind thinking people need the best of everything! It's probably good for day to day driving like most of us to and occasional track.

Your right. But parts should never do this... NEVER

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423889579.080823.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	175339

HID end all thread
Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If someone is wanting to go through the hassle of swapping an IRS I'm sure they are serious enough.

HID end all thread
Old 02-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
If someone is wanting to go through the hassle of swapping an IRS I'm sure they are serious enough.

Yes you're right about that! Haha! I didn't look at it that way. Most people on here though probably bs. Not saying he is.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Cheaper to buy a 15.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well how much could this cost?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
From what I e read the s550 is completely different from s197 as in wider

If at first you don't succeed. keep flushing!!!
13coyotevahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It is.

No way the 15 IRS will fit in the previous mustangs.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

To he fair superdrift has asked questions like this about every generation of mustang so far lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like I shut down all of it. I just said it won't fit into any previous mustangs.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Seems like I shut down all of it. I just said it won't fit into any previous mustangs.
Oh well
Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
To he fair superdrift has asked questions like this about every generation of mustang so far lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Im asking all these questions because in the next couple of months im going to be starting on my next project and im not sure on what i should actually do
Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post

03 04 cobra

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You don't need IRS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	race.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	175403  

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude you are way off base. Just love guys that throw a pic up with some random pic of a weld and say there all junk. Bring the whole story to the table before you drag somebody through the mud. Of course that boat anchor you have on your car is the best right? Whats better? If your gonna make a statement like you did back it up and impart some wisdom instead of some canned BS.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Dude you are way off base. Just love guys that throw a pic up with some random pic of a weld and say there all junk. Bring the whole story to the table before you drag somebody through the mud. Of course that boat anchor you have on your car is the best right? Whats better? If your gonna make a statement like you did back it up and impart some wisdom instead of some canned BS.
He does that a lot.... How many times have I heard his gear input on cars he has 0 seat time in.lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2015 irs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
He does that a lot.... How many times have I heard his gear input on cars he has 0 seat time in.lol

Let me guess about putting gears into a car with the 6R80 that's already super aggressively geared.

The way I find out the right gears that would be best is taking into account transmission ratio and tire size and where you want shifts to be and what speeds you want to get to. By actual concrete facts. But wait you are supposed to also be an expert with a ton of experience, or you wouldn't be saying I have no experience.

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2015 irs?

Quote:

So you are saying that it's ok for it to break at the seams like that? The full story was he beat the heck out of the car and the WL almost broke.

I would rather go with a brand that has a record of zero failures instead of one that has a few. Not saying they are all junk, but a bad few can spoil it for all of them. Have you heard about the Whiteline upper control arm failures? Yea it's not all of them, but it makes you wonder if you should go with that instead of a brand with zero failures. I'm sure you are familiar with Griggs

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
03 04 cobra

2014 5.OHHHHHH

99-04 Cobras have IRS in them... Basically new edge Cobras are IRS cars. A few mods to it makes the car handle phenomenally...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you are saying that it's ok for it to break at the seams like that?

I would rather go with a brand that has a record of zero failures instead of one that has a few. Not saying they are all junk, but a bad few can spoil it for all of them. Have you heard about the Whiteline upper control arm failures? Yea it's not all of them, but it makes you wonder if you should go with that instead of a brand with zero failures

Alright, Since you wont come with the real story on this pic I'll explain. Number one this is the only failed weld on a Fays2 that I have ever seen. The car this was on is a purpose built highly modified autox car. The reason it failed was everything they have done to stiffen that car. The fact you want to blow some smoke about weld quality is BS. The mods on that car created an extreme amount of torque between the frame rails turning the Watts into a cross member. When you build a race car like that you can expect stuff to fail and they have had their issues. Their new watts is going to fail too. They are having issue with the lower arm attachment on the pivot now. The fact that they posted on the Fays was just a BS ploy for their new sponsor.

So, for you to say that fays is junk is not true. He has built for shelby and has sold more watts than any on the market. Don't take my word for it do search for failed Fays2 Watts.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That's
Quote:
Let me guess about putting gears into a car with the 6R80 that's already super aggressively geared.

The way I find out the right gears that would be best is taking into account transmission ratio and tire size and where you want shifts to be and what speeds you want to get to. By actual concrete facts. But wait you are supposed to also be an expert with a ton of experience, or you wouldn't be saying I have no experience.

I'm talking about the mt-82 that you have consistently said 3.73s are way to aggressive, that 1, you had zero seat time in, and 2 a member posted 1/4 times with both the auto and manual with all available gear ratios proving that, while not by much 3.73s posted the quickest times with a manual.

Getting to your PIC with the cracked weld, you never want to see that, but that being said, being a certified welder for over 20years and and having to take a full metallurgy coarse, this can happen to any manufacture that doesn't do ex ray certification and use certified welders. I will agree that this kind of catastrophic failure doesn't give me confidence in their process/products. Just think, that welder probably welded quite a few of those which I wouldn't be comfortable putting on my car either.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright, Since you wont come with the real story on this pic I'll explain. Number one this is the only failed weld on a Fays2 that I have ever seen. The car this was on is a purpose built highly modified autox car. The reason it failed was everything they have done to stiffen that car. The fact you want to blow some smoke about weld quality is BS. The mods on that car created an extreme amount of torque between the frame rails turning the Watts into a cross member. When you build a race car like that you can expect stuff to fail and they have had their issues. Their new watts is going to fail too. They are having issue with the lower arm attachment on the pivot now. The fact that they posted on the Fays was just a BS ploy for their new sponsor.

So, for you to say that fays is junk is not true. He has built for shelby and has sold more watts than any on the market. Don't take my word for it do search for failed Fays2 Watts.
I see what your saying, but a weld should never crack, if engineered wrong the structure should have twisted before the weld cracked. Seeing, from what I can tell from soccer's PIC the structure did not fail but the weld did making it the "weak" point in the unit. If welded properly you could take that joint and twisted it and should not have failed. It shows that not enough heat was used, wrong weld angle was done, or porosity was present the n the weld.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2015 irs?

Quote:
That's

I'm talking about the mt-82 that you have consistently said 3.73s are way to aggressive, that 1, you had zero seat time in, and 2 a member posted 1/4 times with both the auto and manual with all available gear ratios proving that, while not by much 3.73s posted the quickest times with a manual.
Let me say why i always say its too aggressive. Here are the ratios.

MT82 ratios
V6 / V8
1st: 4.236 / 3.66
2nd: 2.538 / 2.43
3rd: 1.665 / 1.69
4th: 1.238 / 1.32
5th: 1.00 / 1.00
6th: 0.70 / 0.65

You can definitely tell how aggressive the first few gears are, even the 4th gear is aggressive compared to in the past. The aggressive gearing is to compliment the 2.73s they put in standard and 3.31s in a few of the cars. So in a V6 yes i would say anything higher than 3.55 is usually too aggressive. The ratios in the GT make the 3.73s perfect.

Just for the sake of comparison here is a TR3650 which was in the pre-2011 GTs
1st: 3.380:1
2nd: 2.000:1
3rd: 1.320:1
4th: 1.000:1
5th: 0.670:1

You can see a huge difference between the aggressiveness of the gearing. Which is why back then everyone went 3.73 or 4.10, because it worked well. A 4.10 in the V6 MT82 is actually more aggressive than a 4.56 with a TR3650

No none of it is set in stone. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. And what works well for some doesn't for others (especially if its different racing like road racing compared to drag racing). But all of the ratios and comparisons i just did, not many people ever do. They just look at the single number and make judgements based off that.

That ^^^^ is why i always recommend different gears than most other people.

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I see what your saying, but a weld should never crack, if engineered wrong the structure should have twisted before the weld cracked. Seeing, from what I can tell from soccer's PIC the structure did not fail but the weld did making it the "weak" point in the unit. If welded properly you could take that joint and twisted it and should not have failed. It shows that not enough heat was used, wrong weld angle was done, or porosity was present the n the weld.

Yes, that i actually agree with

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let me say why i always say its too aggressive. Here are the ratios.

MT82 ratios
V6 / V8
1st: 4.236 / 3.66
2nd: 2.538 / 2.43
3rd: 1.665 / 1.69
4th: 1.238 / 1.32
5th: 1.00 / 1.00
6th: 0.70 / 0.65

You can definitely tell how aggressive the first few gears are, even the 4th gear is aggressive compared to in the past. The aggressive gearing is to compliment the 2.73s they put in standard and 3.31s in a few of the cars. So in a V6 yes i would say anything higher than 3.55 is usually too aggressive. The ratios in the GT make the 3.73s perfect.

Just for the sake of comparison here is a TR3650 which was in the pre-2011 GTs
1st: 3.380:1
2nd: 2.000:1
3rd: 1.320:1
4th: 1.000:1
5th: 0.670:1

You can see a huge difference between the aggressiveness of the gearing. Which is why back then everyone went 3.73 or 4.10, because it worked well.

No none of it is set in stone. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. And what works well for some doesn't for others (especially if its different racing like road racing compared to drag racing). But all of the ratios and comparisons i just did, not many people ever do. They just look at the single number and make judgements based off that.

That ^^^^ is why i always recommend different gears than most other people.
Fair enough, I respect that. Cars now a days are very aggressively geared compared to years past. My wife's 2014 1.5 eco 6 speed will shift at 18kms/h, its that aggressive, but it gives the car bite of the line that normally a 1.5 would crawl off the line with a typical longer gear. The 3.7 is kinda in the same boat, heavy car, lacking low end tq, with a passive gear (2.73s) is a dog off the line. With 3.73s I can hit 50-60 kms/h in first before shifting into second doing a run. I would guess that with the 5.0 tq you really wouldn't need to go that aggressive because it gets off the line so much better than the 3.7, but the 3.7 needs to get in its power band, 4k plus to start moving. Its a great motor/transmission set up, but its god awful off the line with 2.73. 3.31s were better and 3.55s were good also, but for me and plenty others 3.73s really help these cars shine. I understand there is a limit, but 3.73s do not pass that limit.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2015 irs?

Quote:
Fair enough, I respect that. Cars now a days are very aggressively geared compared to years past. My wife's 2014 1.5 eco 6 speed will shift at 18kms/h, its that aggressive, but it gives the car bite of the line that normally a 1.5 would crawl off the line with a typical longer gear. The 3.7 is kinda in the same boat, heavy car, lacking low end tq, with a passive gear (2.73s) is a dog off the line. With 3.73s I can hit 50-60 kms/h in first before shifting into second doing a run. I would guess that with the 5.0 tq you really wouldn't need to go that aggressive because it gets off the line so much better than the 3.7, but the 3.7 needs to get in its power band, 4k plus to start moving.

Yes I agree there are a lot of factors that come into play, I just see a lot of people put in gears and then complain they are too short or too aggressive when they didn't do the research. Power is indeed a factor also. That's why i always urge people to look into all options for the car. Hell I run 4.10s in my car and 1st gear is super super short. I couldn't imagine if I had the MT82 or 6R80 gearing.

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I agree there are a lot of factors that come into play, I just see a lot of people put in gears and then complain they are too short or too aggressive when they didn't do the research. Power is indeed a factor also. That's why i always urge people to look into all options for the car. Hell I run 4.10s in my car and 1st gear is super super short. I couldn't imagine if I had the MT82 or 6R80 gearing.

You hit the nail on the head. People that don't research enough in what they want before they commit! How many times have we seen someone invest in their ride with like ABs and complain they are too loud or to quiet lol.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2015 irs?

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. People that don't research enough in what they want before they commit! How many times have we seen someone invest in their ride with like ABs and complain they are too loud or to quiet lol.

Yes exactly!!!! Someone wants a deep and muscular sound and gets Roush ABs and we just wonder why

HID end all thread
Old 02-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
A 3.08 or 3.15 would be a perfect street gear for the manual 3.7. My 2.73 isn't that bad just could use a little extra bump. I would only go 3.31 or 3.55 to compensate for a bigger and or heavier wheel and tire combo(street car only)
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
03 04 cobra

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Meant that the 15 IRS wouldn't fit. I know the termi's and new edge cobra's have IRS. Were the only Mustangs to have it until the 15.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT