rear end noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
rear end noise

Hi guys,

I have a problem. I installed a full suspension, coilovers, watts link, sway bars, everything you can basically. well I just brought the car out for a drive and it has a really nasty rear end noise. I can't seem to figure it out. It's fine in a strait line no noise at all. low speed cornering it sounds like something grinding on the outside wheel in both directions. It gets quieter the faster I go. I've measured everything, tightened everything and it hasn't changed. The only thing I can think of at this point is that I didn't put the friction modifier in the rear end yet. It's in the mail on the way now. I haven't put but maybe 100 miles on the car without friction modifier. Could that be the problem?
2013 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 mustang View Post
Hi guys,

I have a problem. I installed a full suspension, coilovers, watts link, sway bars, everything you can basically. well I just brought the car out for a drive and it has a really nasty rear end noise. I can't seem to figure it out. It's fine in a strait line no noise at all. low speed cornering it sounds like something grinding on the outside wheel in both directions. It gets quieter the faster I go. I've measured everything, tightened everything and it hasn't changed. The only thing I can think of at this point is that I didn't put the friction modifier in the rear end yet. It's in the mail on the way now. I haven't put but maybe 100 miles on the car without friction modifier. Could that be the problem?

You don't say anything about doing anything inside the rear differential. Did you? I wouldn't be running a car without the additive at all.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No I didn't do anything as far as replacing parts but the Whiteline watts link requires the replacement of the diff cover so I put brand new fluid in it when I did that. The friction modifier is not available in Germany like it is in the states so it's currently in the mail on the way to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I didn't do anything as far as replacing parts but the Whiteline watts link requires the replacement of the diff cover so I put brand new fluid in it when I did that. The friction modifier is not available in Germany like it is in the states so it's currently in the mail on the way to me.

Ok. My guess is that is your problem. Too late now, but I would have waited for the additive to come in before pulling the cover. I really don't think it should be driven that way. See what other people say.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Completely agree it shouldn't be driven without it but my daily driver broke down and I was forced to drive it a few times.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
There is a lot of speculation/myths/hear-say about friction modifiers. Friction modifiers are used in "clutch type" rearends.
Not putting a modifier in a Torsen type rearend has been debated for a long time, some say yes and some say no. The original friction modifiers were put in the clutch type rearends to keep the transition of the clutch paks smooth when engaging and disengaging.............which means without the modifier they would stick..........with they wouldn't.
What type of oil did you put back in the rearend, synthetic or non synthetic?
When you setup the watts linkage, was the car loaded or just up in the air with the tires not touching the ground?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I put motorcraft 75W-140 like the manual says. when setting up the watts link the suspension was loaded I measured to see what adjustments needed to be made, raised the car unloaded the suspension, made my adjustments, loaded the suspension made a trip around the block to set everything as best I can and re measured, and repeat. I did pinion angle with the suspension loaded. It really has me puzzled, if its not the friction modifier I don't know what else it could be. I do this stuff for a living and I can't figure out my own car.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

When you centered the rearend, was it bias towards the drivers side and how much did you have to move it to get it centered.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It was about 1/2 inch maybe a little more.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

I've been thinking about this all day off and on, and just can't bring myself to say an additive will take care of the noise. A Torsen LSD only has gears in it, no clutches, so I just can't believe an additive will help............maybe wait for the modifier, put it in and see if it makes any difference.
When you setup the coilovers in the rear, where did you put them at. Just a thought, could you be getting coil bind when you go around corners.
Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

rear end noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I've been thinking about this all day off and on, and just can't bring myself to say an additive will take care of the noise. A Torsen LSD only has gears in it, no clutches, so I just can't believe an additive will help............maybe wait for the modifier, put it in and see if it makes any difference.
When you setup the coilovers in the rear, where did you put them at. Just a thought, could you be getting coil bind when you go around corners.
Just a thought.

I just looked in my 2012 Owners Manual, and all it calls for is Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant. I never had a Ford before. Maybe this rear end doesn't need anything like you said? I just took it for granted that you did because the OP brought it up.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 02-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just a thought.

After doing a little more research last night I discovered that my car does not require the friction modifier but I'm going to use it just to be sure that's not it. I have the Coilovers set pretty low with almost zero preload so I can't imagine there being coil bind but ill check it out tonight. Something else I thought of and tested this morning. It does not make the noise when cold. That tells me that the problem is inside the rear end. Another thing I’m going to look into is that fact that the instructions for the rear springs say not to reuse the factory rubber isolator on the bottom spring mount. Right now it’s just the metal ride height adjustor sleeve and the spring rides on top of that. I’ll have to send them an email and see what they say. Its ground control coilovers for anyone that wants to know. Anymore thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Did you change anything brake related? I replaced rear rotors on a car a few years ago with aftermarket from O'Reilley's, and even though they were supposed to fit, the edges rubbed on the caliper adapters when cutting the wheel to the left or right. I could see where they had been rubbing. Put the stock back on and problem was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No I haven't done any brake modifications yet. It's next on my list though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Did you accidentally bend a brake dust shield? Causing it to come into contact with the rotor.
juice_man_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'll look and see but I dont beleive so.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I believe only the track pack cars have the torsen diff. Non track pack GT's have differentials with clutches and would require the friction modifier. I bought a 84 mustang couple of years ago. Previous owner told he he changed the differential. I had same noise when turning only. Dropped the diff oil. Put new fluid in with friction modifier. Noise was gone and the rear was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutionm
pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss3286 View Post
I believe only the track pack cars have the torsen diff. Non track pack GT's have differentials with clutches and would require the friction modifier. I bought a 84 mustang couple of years ago. Previous owner told he he changed the differential. I had same noise when turning only. Dropped the diff oil. Put new fluid in with friction modifier. Noise was gone and the rear was perfect.

I guess having a TrakPak car has jaded my view of normal GT's, I just assumed that they all had the Torsen LSD. So, if he still has the clutch type LSD that is the problem as the clutches are sticking together (without the modifier) when making turns. It would also seem to follow his comment about not making noise when it's cold..............don't drive it anymore until you get the modifier (if you have a clutch type LSD) as you will eat up the clutch pak and possibly contaminate the oil with shavings from the clutches........just my 2cents worth.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess having a TrakPak car has jaded my view of normal GT's, I just assumed that they all had the Torsen LSD. So, if he still has the clutch type LSD that is the problem as the clutches are sticking together (without the modifier) when making turns. It would also seem to follow his comment about not making noise when it's cold..............don't drive it anymore until you get the modifier (if you have a clutch type LSD) as you will eat up the clutch pak and possibly contaminate the oil with shavings from the clutches........just my 2cents worth.
I think I need to do a little more research. I have always thought that it was the track pack cars that had the clutch type LSD. That's why the track pack owners manuals all say to use the same fluid but add 4oz. of friction modifier. Mine doesn't say anything about adding it.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I think I need to do a little more research. I have always thought that it was the track pack cars that had the clutch type LSD. That's why the track pack owners manuals all say to use the same fluid but add 4oz. of friction modifier. Mine doesn't say anything about adding it.
Ok, well maybe I also need to do some research because I thought all of the GT's including the TrakPak cars had the T2 Torsen.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've read I'm completely confused because what I read last night was that only torsen diffs needed the friction modifier but correct me if I'm wrong the torsen diffs are all gear thus you would not need a fluid designed for Clutch packs? But why does the Track Pack cars with the Torsen diff list the stuff in there owners manual. Meanwhile a normal LSD like the one in normal mustangs uses clutch packs but does not say in the owners manual anything about the fluid.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424194327.137615.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	175617

Old 02-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Manual says use friction modifier for both

Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
From what I've read I'm completely confused because what I read last night was that only torsen diffs needed the friction modifier but correct me if I'm wrong the torsen diffs are all gear thus you would not need a fluid designed for Clutch packs? But why does the Track Pack cars with the Torsen diff list the stuff in there owners manual. Meanwhile a normal LSD like the one in normal mustangs uses clutch packs but does not say in the owners manual anything about the fluid.
I first had a Torsen LSD in my Model A hot rod with Halibrand Quick Change rearend with a Gold Trak Torsen LSD. You could change the bias to whatever you wanted because they were originally used in dirt track sprint cars. I never ran any modifier in my quick change and it was fine for some 10/15k miles until I sold the car.
Now, with that said if you look on the internet I'm sure you will find a lot of people say you need the modifier, and a lot of people say you don't need it. For sure you need a modifier with an Eaton, Detroit Locker, etc., etc. In TrakPak cars this LSD is the same one they put in the Boss302. I really don't know what LSD came in a standard GT.
If I go look in my owners manual I'm sure they will say to add a modifier..........and yes I'd put it in for giggles...........but is it needed..........I just don't see why it would be.
I need to go down and pick up my Shelby rear valance and I'll try and ask the parts guys if there is a different LSD for the standard GT and Boss302/TrakPak cars.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I first had a Torsen LSD in my Model A hot rod with Halibrand Quick Change rearend with a Gold Trak Torsen LSD. You could change the bias to whatever you wanted because they were originally used in dirt track sprint cars. I never ran any modifier in my quick change and it was fine for some 10/15k miles until I sold the car.
Now, with that said if you look on the internet I'm sure you will find a lot of people say you need the modifier, and a lot of people say you don't need it. For sure you need a modifier with an Eaton, Detroit Locker, etc., etc. In TrakPak cars this LSD is the same one they put in the Boss302. I really don't know what LSD came in a standard GT.
If I go look in my owners manual I'm sure they will say to add a modifier..........and yes I'd put it in for giggles...........but is it needed..........I just don't see why it would be.
I need to go down and pick up my Shelby rear valance and I'll try and ask the parts guys if there is a different LSD for the standard GT and Boss302/TrakPak cars.

That would be awesome even if he could tell you if the friction modifier is used in both or just one or the other. I would do it myself but because I'm in Germany I don't have a dealership to ask.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss3286 View Post
Attachment 175617

my Manual does not have friction modifier listed anywhere in it. I would love to hear from the dealership later but why would they list it as a supplement in the owners manual if it's required to be used in all models? That wouldn't make sense. if that was the case they would list it like normal not as an add on to specific cars.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
That would be awesome even if he could tell you if the friction modifier is used in both or just one or the other. I would do it myself but because I'm in Germany I don't have a dealership to ask.
When I go to the dealership I'll ask, but my guess is that he will say yes, it needs to be added. If I can find the old guy (like me) that used to drag race and flat track I'll ask him and bet he will give me a different answer.
When you get the Modifier I'd still put it in......after draining the oil you have in it now because it could be contaminated......and see what it does.
I'll get back to later today.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Here's my 2012 Owners Manual I downloaded. Nothing about an additive either.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424195736.505438.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	175619

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Here's my 2012 Owners Manual I downloaded. Nothing about an additive either.

Attachment 175619

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
That's exactly what mine looks like. Me and my dad who are both mechanics have been our whole life's agree that mine does need it because my rear end is just a normal posi thus it has clutch packs which is what that fluid is designed for. However I would like to hear the reason behind the other manual saying that the torsen and traction lock diff need it. They do not have clutch packs thus shouldn't need the fluid right?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
That's exactly what mine looks like. Me and my dad who are both mechanics have been our whole life's agree that mine does need it because my rear end is just a normal posi thus it has clutch packs which is what that fluid is designed for. However I would like to hear the reason behind the other manual saying that the torsen and traction lock diff need it. They do not have clutch packs thus shouldn't need the fluid right?
Well, there you go...............the noise should be solved when you put the modifier in. I just didn't realize standard GT's had Trak-Lok LSD's............you learn something new every day.
Just a guess, but Ford does some of the strangest things and since I've owned Fords most of my life nothing would surprise me. I would assume that since the Torsen LSD seems to be put in the TrakPak, Boss302, GT500's that they expect abuse and the reason they say to put the modifier in........just a guess....I'll try and find out at the dealership.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, there you go...............the noise should be solved when you put the modifier in. I just didn't realize standard GT's had Trak-Lok LSD's............you learn something new every day.
Just a guess, but Ford does some of the strangest things and since I've owned Fords most of my life nothing would surprise me. I would assume that since the Torsen LSD seems to be put in the TrakPak, Boss302, GT500's that they expect abuse and the reason they say to put the modifier in........just a guess....I'll try and find out at the dealership.

It would also be interesting to find out from the dealer why it doesn't mention anything additional in the Owners Manual.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
It would also be interesting to find out from the dealer why it doesn't mention anything additional in the Owners Manual.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

Oops! Just went to the next page and look what I found!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424197093.638906.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	175620

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I still want to know why they list it as a supplement and don't just list it as a required item if every car needs it. We all get the exact same diff unless you have a track pack, boss 302 or GT500 but those all require the fluid anyways. If you ask me it should be listed just like all the other fluids not like they have it. Just my thoughts though.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yes there is a number 1 next to rear differential fluid requirements

Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

just incase anyone was wondering thought I would post a picture of the car. I never really introduced myself to the forum. Also it now has Roush upper and lower grill on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013 mustang 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	175621  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT