Best Kind of Blower - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Best Kind of Blower

The more I stare at them all the more I wonder if one is better than the other by design. The VMP kit is supposed to be good but looks identical to the Roush blowers. Are they the same? If they are why wouldn't you just buy a roush kit for cheaper then? Or the Whipple kits, the new models haven't been released yet even though they should have been shipping Feb 3. But the older models are basically the same style just look slightly different.

Which one is better, the Whipple at least has the option to go 2.9 over a 2.3 which I dont think the other 2 have. So in the long run, with a built motor the 2.9 has more power potential.

I'm just straining my brain here on what I want and all these choices that are so close together do not help.

Of course if you read about the new model Whipples, they basically bash the old style rear entry which everyone elses are along with theirs. But is that only because they will be the only ones with the front inlet so they have to say its better?
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDAWG29 View Post
The more I stare at them all the more I wonder if one is better than the other by design. The VMP kit is supposed to be good but looks identical to the Roush blowers. Are they the same? If they are why wouldn't you just buy a roush kit for cheaper then? Or the Whipple kits, the new models haven't been released yet even though they should have been shipping Feb 3. But the older models are basically the same style just look slightly different.

Which one is better, the Whipple at least has the option to go 2.9 over a 2.3 which I dont think the other 2 have. So in the long run, with a built motor the 2.9 has more power potential.

I'm just straining my brain here on what I want and all these choices that are so close together do not help.

Of course if you read about the new model Whipples, they basically bash the old style rear entry which everyone elses are along with theirs. But is that only because they will be the only ones with the front inlet so they have to say its better?
I learned this yesterday. The vmp and Roush are rather identical but the vmp comes with a better tune and is more plug and play

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Best Kind of Blower

VMP is basically a Roush blower with a ported entry and all the reliability that comes with well designed Roush parts. Roush blowers are essentially the same thing minus a tiny power difference but they can easily make huge power and have pretty good torque.

I wanted a whipple badly also, but at the 7K base kit price tag it's apparent why not everyone has one. The 2.9L whipple is an awesome blower and can easily make enough power to turn your stock motor into dust just like a VMP or Roush will.

Having said all that, I have a VMP and love it. The car makes right over 600rwhp on a 82mm pulley and it moves out quick! It's not the fastest thing on the road, but I've seen similar set-ups to mine run low 10s in the quarter mile all day long. I'd say for the 6K you spend that you're getting a really good blower if you go VMP and their service interval is every 100K miles. Can't beat that with a stick. IMO when it comes to superchargers however, get EXACTLY what you want the first time. If not, you will still end up getting what you want and spend double what you wanted to

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I learned this yesterday. The vmp and Roush are rather identical but the vmp comes with a better tune and is more plug and play

What is more plug and play about it? Also you could just get a VMP tune for a roush blower which would be the same tune as the one for the VMP blower.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Whipple offers a 4.0L supercharger, and they are currently making a 4.5L. Also they aren't the first to have a front inlet on a supercharger. Nearly every engine mounted supercharger on challengers has a front inlet, same for a lot of GTOs. You will make more power with the 2.9 than the 2.3. But with the amount of boost they make forged internals is a must...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

VMP comes with it's own brand of BAP and a larger inter cooler than a Roush blower does. It's all in the details when it comes to supercharging and every little thing that helps it to become more efficient is worth it.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Whipple offers a 4.0L supercharger, and they are currently making a 4.5L. Also they aren't the first to have a front inlet on a supercharger. Nearly every engine mounted supercharger on challengers has a front inlet, same for a lot of GTOs. You will make more power with the 2.9 than the 2.3. But with the amount of boost they make forged internals is a must...

Adventure till you drop

4.5L or bust. As a matter of fact, the Roush/VMP/whipple blowers all share the same lower intake manifold and bolt pattern. So you can buy a Roush or VMP now and get the whipple later

Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDAWG29 View Post
What is more plug and play about it? Also you could just get a VMP tune for a roush blower which would be the same tune as the one for the VMP blower.
When whitecali50 installed his he only had to splice two wires

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
VMP is basically a Roush blower with a ported entry and all the reliability that comes with well designed Roush parts. Roush blowers are essentially the same thing minus a tiny power difference but they can easily make huge power and have pretty good torque.

I wanted a whipple badly also, but at the 7K base kit price tag it's apparent why not everyone has one. The 2.9L whipple is an awesome blower and can easily make enough power to turn your stock motor into dust just like a VMP or Roush will.

Having said all that, I have a VMP and love it. The car makes right over 600rwhp on a 82mm pulley and it moves out quick! It's not the fastest thing on the road, but I've seen similar set-ups to mine run low 10s in the quarter mile all day long. I'd say for the 6K you spend that you're getting a really good blower if you go VMP and their service interval is every 100K miles. Can't beat that with a stick. IMO when it comes to superchargers however, get EXACTLY what you want the first time. If not, you will still end up getting what you want and spend double what you wanted to

Believe me I know all to well about that. Going from a procharger p1sc to a d1sc to a KB2.6 lol. Thats why I am asking so many questions this time around. I don't wanna go through all that again.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Whipple is the best bet.

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Yeah plug and play means exactly that. If u buy the roush kit. Be sure to buy VMP wiring, if you don't you'll be splicing EVERYTHING in and I mean everything. I seriously spliced 2 wires and was done with that, all the rest of the wiring consisted of new connections and harnesses. Also. The vmp comes with a afco dual fan heat exchanger it's awesome lol I've
Never had any heatsoak either. Vmp comes standard with a JLT intake vs a factory roush airbox like our stock one. I think some where online it made like 25+horsepower over the closed roush. Vmp lets you choose your pulley as well, basically build your own kit.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I need help.. looking to buy a supercharger for my 14 gt. I really am sold on the new i-1 procharger.. but I'm not really sure if it's worth the money.. looking at either any of the other prochargers... votec.. and paxton. Would like to eventually up the boost past the 7.5 psi it comes with. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
brett.fries23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I just got my Paxton in, will be installing Saturday. Went with VMP BAP, 1 size smaller pulley, JLT intake, and ordered a Boss IM as well. From what I looked at it has the most potential and it's a good price starting out too.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can't speak to personal experience with the others, but the Vortech V3 I installed on this car is money. With a few other mods and a super safe tune, this car easily makes over 650 at the rear tires. Daily driver that other than the jet engine sounding Tial BOV and Tial waste gate, she drives like stock until you get into the throttle and then it is a "bury your *** in the seat" feel. People tend to talk about torque numbers, but this car will spin the tires even going into 4th gear. For the price, performance and looks, I think the vortech in satin black is tough to beat.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

What do you guys think of the i-1 procharger? Programmable boost worth it

Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Pick your poison based on your financial parameters. I really like the new front load whipples.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.fries23 View Post
What do you guys think of the i-1 procharger? Programmable boost worth it
Very poor placement of the air filter causing it to suck in hot air from under the hood with higher than comfortable iat's.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the prochargers have a terrible place for their intake filter. That being said, does that mean they are overly confident their big a$$ intercoolers can do the job to get them where they should be?

Either way, I sold my boss IM after basically deciding not to go twin turbo or centrifugal. They both have a lot of piping and and kind of cramp things up a big and I kind of thought maybe I would stay away from all that this time around.

I had a procharger on my 2002 daily driver, it was fun until I started building bigger, then for some reason became impossible to tune, no matter what I did, we couldn't stop the sporadic belt slip. It went 610ish hp but not with consistency and no one wanted to have it blow up for tuning with potential belt slip. The KB2.6 had no problems at all, through down 620 to the wheels, had about 435lb/ft torque at 2300-2400 rpms all out of a 2v. That was more fun I think lol.

So with the way the new KBs look, you have to cut holes in fenders to install intake piping and stuff and I'm not down with that either. So we're left with the rest of them. So a Roush technically isn't as good as a VMP. So I guess that leaves Roush out. So its down to VMP and Whipple.

Although it seems as though people go to VMP for the ease of install and the price for what you get, if you go with their most expensive kit you get their stage 2 kit plus the throttle body upgrade, ID1000s upgrade, and the stuff to run E85. But the price of stage 2 plus the throttle body and the injectors adds up to the price of stage 3 alone with out anything else. So its almost better to go with the stage 3 and get the better deal.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

brett.fries23 You can use and electronic boost controller in conjunction with a Vortech or Paxton as well if you install a wastegate like I have. It would be substantially less than the ProCharger i1 system too. I am considering installing an TurboSmart eBoost 2 on this car right now. Just trying to determine if the gains are worth the cost. I can put a softer spring in my waste gate and electronically control the boost with the controller. ProChargers are good systems, I just don't care about their looks as they look totally added on.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Great thread here. I am going to hopefully be pulling the trigger in the next couple months on going FI also. Here is my logic, please give feedback as to how far off or on track I am.

1. Going with centrifugal instead of screw because there is a slight spool up time needed and I think that will help me with immediate off the line traction.
2. Centrifugal has more of an ability to up the boost should I ever decide to upgrade internals.
3. Vortech and Paxton are nearly identical from what I can tell, the Procharger is in a weird looking spot. Vortech in Black would look best
4. I did hear from some Palm Beach guys this weekend that Procharger is the way to go. That said they all did have them so sure they would say that. Advice on the three main ones? Vortech, Paxton, Procharger.
5. With my drivetrain upgrades I can handle more power through there but I should avoid going past 650rwhp unless I upgrade internals.

I am a daily driver too btw.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'll go that route.. didn't know u could get one of those for a paxton.. probably the route I'll go.. and all I want to accomplish is about 650rwhp and the paxton looks sweet blacked out

Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

How loud can u hear the paxton supercharger? And does it sound good?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Best Kind of Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.fries23 View Post
How loud can u hear the paxton supercharger? And does it sound good?

They don't whine they hiss. And it's loud at an idle...
It's basically a belt driven turbo...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Magnuson and Edelbrock also use front inlets.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The rule on Paxton/Vortech is this: If you plan on staying <700rwhp the Vortech is more efficient, the Paxton is more efficient >700rwhp. The Vortech is the only one of the two that you can buy Satin Black, though it is SUPER easy to paint a Paxton and components black.
I highly recommend a Tial 50mm BOV and waste gate. If you want sound, these will provide it and then some as far as performance. The little bit of whine you get on the new PD blowers is cool, but there is nothing like letting a centri with a Tial BOV release and watch everyone on the sidewalk jump out of their skin. You can run up next to a car in boost and let off and the swoosh lets everyone know you got boost. If you plan to stay in the 600's in rwhp, maybe billet OPG, but not a necessity unless you really race and rev a lot to 8k. The addition of a waste gate allows you to run a smaller pulley and boosts your torque but control the max boost you want to run. You can change springs to control the psi you want or you can run a soft spring and control your boost with a manual or electronic boost controller. Critical part of any FI is your tune. I would stick with the reputable tuners that tune a LOT of boosted cars.

Here is a clip of what it sounded like the day we installed it: Prior to being completely tuned too. The end of the video with the hood down is a pretty good idea of the sound. Mind you, when the car goes into boost, the BOV closes completely so you only hear the motor until you let off and then the swoosh
Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Paxton/ vortex is what I've been looking at.. how much rwhp does your push? Everything stock internally except for boss intake? Do u guys know how much the boss crank pistons and rods can handle?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Before I installed the torque booster setup I dynoed @ 636.49rwhp and 469 rwtq. After adding the 3.33 pulley and wastegated at 10psi the car makes just over 650rwhp and 500rwtq. With the Beefcake Special you get the supercharger, a Boost A pump & ID1000 fuel injectors all inclusive with tuning by Lund Racing. With an off road x, the JLT intake and this setup, you can safely make 650rwhp on your daily driver. I would like to add billet OPG for protection, but this car is not run on the 1/4 track so it is ok the way it is for now.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

So how much suspension work did you all do? Jw cause my suspension is still stock and I'm looking to push the number you are right now.. I can see a handling package from American muscle being able to handle that much

Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I can't see*

Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

And how do they do the tuning with a beefcake kit?? That's what I've been leaning towards

Old 02-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
The rule on Paxton/Vortech is this: If you plan on staying <700rwhp the Vortech is more efficient, the Paxton is more efficient >700rwhp. The Vortech is the only one of the two that you can buy Satin Black, though it is SUPER easy to paint a Paxton and components black.
I highly recommend a Tial 50mm BOV and waste gate. If you want sound, these will provide it and then some as far as performance. The little bit of whine you get on the new PD blowers is cool, but there is nothing like letting a centri with a Tial BOV release and watch everyone on the sidewalk jump out of their skin. You can run up next to a car in boost and let off and the swoosh lets everyone know you got boost. If you plan to stay in the 600's in rwhp, maybe billet OPG, but not a necessity unless you really race and rev a lot to 8k. The addition of a waste gate allows you to run a smaller pulley and boosts your torque but control the max boost you want to run. You can change springs to control the psi you want or you can run a soft spring and control your boost with a manual or electronic boost controller. Critical part of any FI is your tune. I would stick with the reputable tuners that tune a LOT of boosted cars.

Here is a clip of what it sounded like the day we installed it: Prior to being completely tuned too. The end of the video with the hood down is a pretty good idea of the sound. Mind you, when the car goes into boost, the BOV closes completely so you only hear the motor until you let off and then the swoosh

Mine whines louder than some Cobras lol. You can hear it very loudly over the borla ATAKS I have lol. I do love he sound of a centri though. I know a guy that live
A
Little way from me. He has a red 5.0 fully built with a Paxton making somewhere in the 800+whp range. It's crazy and sounds legit when he gets off the throttle.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Before I installed the torque booster setup I dynoed @ 636.49rwhp and 469 rwtq. After adding the 3.33 pulley and wastegated at 10psi the car makes just over 650rwhp and 500rwtq. With the Beefcake Special you get the supercharger, a Boost A pump & ID1000 fuel injectors all inclusive with tuning by Lund Racing. With an off road x, the JLT intake and this setup, you can safely make 650rwhp on your daily driver. I would like to add billet OPG for protection, but this car is not run on the 1/4 track so it is ok the way it is for now.
If I go with this package.. how did u have to do tuning dor it? I have an x4 sct device.. or will it have r o be dyno tuned.. also I'm looking at the team beefcake vortec since I want under 700rwhp.. and for the tial 55mm bov.. someone so I'd u can control the boss with a waste gate? How is that done?

Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

U will do a data logging session with your tuner and laptop hooked up to the car and you'll send him the results to him via email. It's super simple. I was
Worried about doing it myself but it's easy

Old 02-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

@ brett.fries23 Like WhiteCali5oh says. With the Beefcake Special, tuning is included with Lund Racing. How it works. They will send you a base tune file to load on your SCT. Do the install, (we did it in my driveway) and load the base tune. Lund Racing will then have you run data logs you can do with a laptop. They instruct you EXACTLY what to do. First with the car in neutral, you rev to rpms he specifies. Send that file on a forum type correspondence with Lund and you will receive on the same thread a revised tune. Load that and do what he instructs. You go through this process with them checking what the tune did until they get it tuned perfectly. It is a great process and Lund Racing is a top tier tuner.
I also bought the beefcake "torque booster" setup. It is a smaller pulley (3.33), Gates HD belt, welded elbow and a Tial Wastegate. It is already constructed, all you do is use this elbow with the wastegate in place of your elbow coming out of the intercooler. It is as easy as it gets. I have a 10psi spring in this one, so my boost is limited to 10psi.

Now, to use an electronic boost controller if you wanted to, you use a soft spring that is included with the wastegate and hook your eboost controller to that wastegate. You now will electronically control the opening of that wastegate instead of it opening by spring pressure alone.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
One reason I went with the Roush phase 1 kit because it’s a “green” or 50 state emission testing compliant which I need to pass annually and, one of the few kits offered for auto transmissions. It comes with a very conservative tune on 91 octane and revised firmness & shift schedule. No dyno or drag strip bragging rights with this kit as delivered. To make 500+ RWHP, then you should probably invest in other forced induction options.

2011-2014 Ford Mustang Supercharger - Phase 1 575 HP Calibrated

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT