Sr lowering spring question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Sr lowering spring question

I'm going to be ordering a set of these springs this week. Can I use the stock bumpstops.i will purchase a Panhard bard and install both for the meantime. I plan on doing my suspension in the future as funds allow. For the meantime just springs and Panhard bar. I have a 13 gt brembo pack. With 15200 miles,struts will be changed before the car hits 30k miles hopefully along with supporting components. Will I be OK going this route? Before I get flamed please keep in mind I do not have the cash to do a full suspension overhaul. So springs and p h bar installed then once I have purchased all supporting components I will install the rest.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 03:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would skip on SR springs and get a quality set that aren't going to ride like a little red wagon like BMR, RTR, or steeda. BMR is the best you can buy period. Also, you will be more than fine running stock shocks/struts with lowering springs as long as you keep it around 1.5" drop. Easily enough, you can just swap out to konis or whatever later down the line when your stock struts wear out. Which will likely be long after 30k miles, but that's your choice. I'd recommend the pan hard bar, but it's not going to kill you to go without one for a couple months in order to save up in case you decided to go with a nicer set of springs up front. IMO the springs are like the heart of the suspension, and ride quality is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnsky59 View Post
I'm going to be ordering a set of these springs this week. Can I use the stock bumpstops.i will purchase a Panhard bard and install both for the meantime. I plan on doing my suspension in the future as funds allow. For the meantime just springs and Panhard bar. I have a 13 gt brembo pack. With 15200 miles,struts will be changed before the car hits 30k miles hopefully along with supporting components. Will I be OK going this route? Before I get flamed please keep in mind I do not have the cash to do a full suspension overhaul. So springs and p h bar installed then once I have purchased all supporting components I will install the rest.

Before you let anyone tell you otherwise, I have ONLY SR springs and a panhard bar with 35k miles and have had them on with 5k miles with no issues. There is no need to rush into changing your whole suspension and as long as you're planning on changing shocks and struts eventually you're fine. The Brembo cars actually come with struts and shocks tuned for higher spring rates since Brembo cars have a bit tighter springs than the regular GT as well as gt500 rear control arms.

I also just read what that last guy said not recommending SR springs. In my opinion, there isn't any reason not to go for SR they preform just like eibach, steeda, ect

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
I also just read what that last guy said not recommending SR springs. In my opinion, there isn't any reason not to go for SR they preform just like eibach, steeda, ect,ect
How do you know they all perform the same? Have you tested them all?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
How do you know they all perform the same? Have you tested them all?

Lol no I have not put every spring on my car and tested it which is besides the point because OP was not questioning the quality of SR springs. But yes I have a good idea since I've rode in other mustangs with springs like Eibach and H&R and they all do get the job done the same. It's personal preference whether you wanna buy the "cheap" springs or not . The question wasn't what springs he needs its what he needs to get with them

Old 02-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I want the Sr springs is for the price and the majority of the reviews are good.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
look into getting camber bolts up front too. They are inexpensive and will get your front wheels/tires in camber. I have never ridden in a car with SR springs but I love my Eibach Sportlines.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
look into getting camber bolts up front too. They are inexpensive and will get your front wheels/tires in camber. I have never ridden in a car with SR springs but I love my Eibach Sportlines.
Will do that. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hey Jr,

Great questions!

The SR Performance Lowering Springs are a great spring and I am positive that you will love the look and ride!

You will have no problems running just the springs and panhard bar before biting the bullet on the rest of your suspension. As long as you get everything installed and aligned properly, you have nothing to worry about!

The only thing that I would recommend adding would be a set of Camber Bolts. They are easy to install, will help bring your alignment back to spec, and are inexpensive!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Before you let anyone tell you otherwise, I have ONLY SR springs and a panhard bar with 35k miles and have had them on with 5k miles with no issues. There is no need to rush into changing your whole suspension and as long as you're planning on changing shocks and struts eventually you're fine. The Brembo cars actually come with struts and shocks tuned for higher spring rates since Brembo cars have a bit tighter springs than the regular GT as well as gt500 rear control arms.

I also just read what that last guy said not recommending SR springs. In my opinion, there isn't any reason not to go for SR they preform just like eibach, steeda, ect

Hey Eric,

I completely agree with you on this one!

There is no need to rush, working on your suspension one step at a time and doing it correctly is better than rushing into it and cutting corners!

I ran a spring/ Panhard setup only for months before I dove into my suspension further with no issues.

Also, I'm glad that you're loving your SR springs! I have had no issues with them and you can't beat the price!

Quote:
The reason I want the Sr springs is for the price and the majority of the reviews are good.

JR,

What's there not to want? These exact reasons are what sold me on them even before I started working here back in my 2 valve new edge days!

I have ran them on numerous Mustangs including mine, my girlfriends, etc and have not had one complaint! You will not be disappointed.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Although I haven't been under all TrakPak Mustangs from 2013/14, I just replaced the LCA's on my TrakPak car and they were not GT500, they were the standard GT type. You have to realize that on the assembly line a lot of different things happen.
As for lowering your car the magic 1.5" or even 2", you will not need to do anything to the alignment as long as you are careful taking the front end apart. Make sure you mark the nuts on top of the strut tower where the 4 bolts for the strut mount come through (draw a circle around them before you take them off and line them up when you torque them down after putting your new springs in. When you do pull the struts and springs down make sure to see the orientation of the strut mount, there is an arrow or mark on the strut mount that points toward the engine, and it needs to stay in that position. Also when you pull the struts out be very careful because the strut mounts can and will separate throwing small ball bearings everywhere. They are easy to put back but hard to find once they hit the floor.
After changing to Sportline springs which lower my car more than your SR's, I took the car to my local Ford dealer and the alignment was within Ford Spec...........a little on the high side of spec....great for carving corners.............but was within the Ford Spec guideline. This is the 5th Mustang I have lowered and the other 4 also were within Ford Spec Guideline after being lowered.
Mine is lowered and on the drivers side the strut mount makes noise when I come out of driveways or go over ruff surfaces at low speeds, but when I change to Koni's I will also change strut mounts.
I understand your situation about resources and have been there more than once, so although everyone says to change the panhard bar to an adjustable one..............you can do that when you have money..........anytime. When you lower the car just check the measurements on each side of the body of the car relative to a fixed point on the wheel on each side, that will give you a good indication of how far off center the rear end is. Mine from the factory was less than 1/2" bias towards the drivers side.
Sorry for the long winded response, just wanted to give you more information.
Good luck with the lowering.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just one last comment..................you will not need to replace the Camber Bolts, since you are not lowering the car that much and you will be within alignment specs I feel it's a waste of money..........although my experience is limited to only 5 Mustangs I feel they are not needed....................IMHO
Old 02-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will do that. Thanks.

I bought camber bolts just in case alignment wasn't in spec and as it turns out I didn't NEED them but glad I ordered them just in case. They're only 30$ from AM and got them with my springs

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is why I bought them also... Don't let anyone tell you they aren't good quality.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

As far as the ph bar I plan in going with bmr based solely on input.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
I bought camber bolts just in case alignment wasn't in spec and as it turns out I didn't NEED them but glad I ordered them just in case. They're only 30$ from AM and got them with my springs

I completely agree with you here Eric!

You can't beat the price on them for the peace of mind they provide.

I have used them on all of my Mustangs (05+ that is) and although they might not be necessarily required, for $30 I will take my chances!

-Will
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The SR bashing is getting really tired and old lol. SR springs ride damn near stock-like. Just tighter/bouncier. No issues here. People just say "oh get BMR, get eibach, get steeda!" Just for the sake of saying it and because they prefer those brands. There's not a damn thing wrong with the SR brand. I haven't seen not a single failure with any of their suspension components.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
The SR bashing is getting really tired and old lol. SR springs ride damn near stock-like. Just tighter/bouncier. No issues here. People just say "oh get BMR, get eibach, get steeda!" Just for the sake of saying it and because they prefer those brands. There's not a damn thing wrong with the SR brand. I haven't seen not a single failure with any of their suspension components.

There is nothing wrong with them in terms of normal driving. But if you are looking to carve corners there is better out there. It's all in the spring rate.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
It's painfully clear you know little on how a spring works.

SR springs are cheap for a reason. I'll let you figure out why.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Guys these are going on a daily driver. Will never see track or a drag strip. And will be paired with koni oranges down the road.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
There
Quote:
No issues here. People just say "oh get BMR, get eibach, get steeda!" Just for the sake of saying it and because they prefer those brands.
Not necessarily ... there are many differences between all the brands & companies that you mentioned. From testing, to engineering to how & where they are manufactured. Many of the forum members provide their insights based on what they know & if a particular brand has a strong reputation & excellent track record ... you can't fault someone for giving their .02.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
There is nothing wrong with them in terms of normal driving. But if you are looking to carve corners there is better out there. It's all in the spring rate.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Of course there's better out there, I agree whole heartedly. Just like there's much better than a Mustang GT. But what's great about humans, is will have different choices to make. And the best of the best is simply not needed in all instances. And this is my daily driver, and will never EVER see a road course or auto crossing. If I was going to do either, I wouldn't of bought a mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
It's painfully clear you know little on how a spring works.

SR springs are cheap for a reason. I'll let you figure out why.

I know exactly how a spring works grabber lol. And I'll wait until I find that out, think I'll be waiting a while lol. And to be completely honest, they aren't that far off in price from competitors when not on sale. And I challenge you to find someone who's had issues with the particular springs, because I can't. People can rep bigger brands all they want until they're blue in the face. These springs work, bottom line. And they suit my needs, which are daily driving, with occasional drag use. Now if this car was a weekend warrior, then it's a entirely different ball game. I'll keep ya posted though on them

Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
There

Not necessarily ... there are many differences between all the brands & companies that you mentioned. From testing, to engineering to how & where they are manufactured. Many of the forum members provide their insights based on what they know & if a particular brand has a strong reputation & excellent track record ... you can't fault someone for giving their .02.

Best Regards,

TJ

I agree, once again. I'm moreso referring to the bashing of a company, albeit not as well known as yours or BMR, without any failure claims, or stories behind it. It's empty hate really. I'm no advocate, nor am I sponsored by SR lol, I just think the bashing is completely baseless.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Of course there's better out there, I agree whole heartedly. Just like there's much better than a Mustang GT. But what's great about humans, is we all have different choices to make. And the best of the best is simply not needed in all instances. And this is my daily driver, and will never EVER see a road course or auto crossing. If I was going to do either, I wouldn't of bought a mustang.

I know exactly how a spring works grabber lol. And I'll wait until I find that out, think I'll be waiting a while lol. And to be completely honest, they aren't that far off in price from competitors when not on sale. And I challenge you to find someone who's had issues with the particular springs, because I can't. People can rep bigger brands all they want until they're blue in the face. These springs work, bottom line. And they suit my needs, which are daily driving, with occasional drag use. Now if this car was a weekend warrior, then it's a entirely different ball game. I'll keep ya posted though on them

Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Guys these are going on a daily driver. Will never see track or a drag strip. And will be paired with koni oranges down the road.

I have this exact set up paired with GT500 mounts. It handles excellent, and it didn't break the bank. It's a great upgrade from OEM.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't mean to stir things up. so do I use the stock rubber bump stops?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Didn't mean to stir things up. so do I use the stock rubber bump stops?

Lol no harm no foul on my end, just making a valid point. And I shaved mine down a bit.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol no harm no foul on my end, just making a valid point. And I shaved mine down a bit.

What do you mean by shaved down? I didn't do anything to mine

Old 02-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I cut them in half.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It was too close for comfort for me when the spring compressed, so I cut them. They were squeaking beforehand. All good now.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I've had steeda, BMR and SR springs and I can tell all of you from experience than both steeda and BMR are leaps and bounds better as far as ride quality. BMR is the best brand in my opinion, and I say that after trying all three. Whether you call it bashing or not is really of no concern of mine, and my opinion stays the same. There is a reason that you pay $260 for a set of BMR springs and $100 less for SR and it's not the pretty red paint.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
I've had steeda, BMR and SR springs and I can tell all of you from experience than both steeda and BMR are leaps and bounds better as far as ride quality. BMR is the best brand in my opinion, and I say that after trying all three. Whether you call it bashing or not is really of no concern of mine, and my opinion stays the same. There is a reason that you pay $260 for a set of BMR springs and $100 less for SR and it's not the pretty red paint.

lol cool story. You buy what you want to buy, and I'll buy what I want to buy, and nobody will ever know, or care about the difference

I am curious though, what was wrong with the ride quality? Did you change out struts and shocks? Maybe install them upside down?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol cool story. You buy what you want to buy, and I'll buy what I want to buy, and nobody will ever know, or care about the difference

Good for you man! I'm proud of you, but I didn't ask for your opinion the OP did. So thanks anyway

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT