Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Another CAI question

Tags
cai
5K views 79 replies 25 participants last post by  Dans5oh 
#1 ·
I was doing some research on google and search threads on this forum and others and found very little about water entering the intake through some of the larger brand CAI systems for the 2013-2014 mustang GT automatic. I was looking at the K&N CAI 63-2578 because it shields water from entering the intake and preventing damaging the MAF and other components. It is advertised to achieve 20 RWHP without a expensive tune. This seems logical. However I do like the Steeda and JLT intake systems as well. The JLT comes with a foam piece that gets mixed reviews on how well it works. The Steeda advertises a 101 mm MAF as does the JLT but I'm sure a tuner is required as well. They both are open to the elements however and can cause damage. What is your take on this? For those of you with steeda or jlt CAI, have you experienced water going into your filter? For a DD on a tight budget, would you recommend the K&N and just get a tune later on?

#37 ·
Those are the answers I was looking for. The K&N filter I mentioned before sates they make 20 rwhp without any tune required and it is shielded from the elements. Although I could get a few more horses from a CAI with a larger MAF, it would require a tune which would cost several hundred dollars more. I think I know which route I will go.

#38 ·
someone told me that a CAI on the Mustang/Coyote motor was a waste of time and money.............Well, I had to prove it to myself because I've used CAI's on trucks with HP/TQ gains and also got better MPG pulling the race car.
I bought my 14 with 2700 miles, it had/has a Airaid CAI and a tune. The kit was purchased from Summit Racing as a package. When I drove the car at the Chevy dealer I was really impressed at the throttle response and power. Bought the car and had a service issue, so I took the tune out and put the stock tune in. It didn't have the throttle response it did with the tune and felt sluggish compared to with the tune. Got it back from dealer, warmed it up and went for quick run through the gears. It really struggled to get past 6500 (compared to the way it was with the tune) and when I came to the stop light the check engine light was on. Took it back home to read the code and it was bank#1 running lean. The next day I called SCT and a buddy at Airaid and they both told me the same thing.............on a stock tune the CAI may cause a check engine light and depending on the car it may not help.........................I put the tune back in and the car instantly came awake again................I am a believer and when Grabber Blue5.0 tells you they are worthless........he is telling you the truth...................IMHO

#40 ·
I resisted the urge to buy a CAI for mine after inspecting the design of the factory one. I was impressed with fords attention to cold air and the inlet. So I went and bought a drop in K&N and I felt a difference almost immediately. I got better MPG also (not that it was my goal). And I don't have a tune. You can always be safe to say the paper filter is garbage. But I am a believer in the intake. I also hooked up my OBD II reader and observed the air temps I was getting while driving via an iPhone app, and comparing it to the ambient air temps the car displays inside and the temp stays consistently in line with the outside air temps + 3-8 degrees. That's pretty dang good. I guarantee the open air engine compartment filters are gulping 10-30 degree warmer air.

#42 ·
As much as I'd like to believe the K&N did its job, it has been dyno proven that you're going to lose power : both n/a and FI on stock airbox, compared to paper filter. Not trying yo dish your claims so please don't be offended. Just stating the facts.

Source: article done by svtp in a controlled environment.

#49 · (Edited)
Thank you for the info. That's pretty crazy. I would never have guess that could have been true. I think I will keep my K&N as I personally like the slight tone difference I get and I felt a change. Maybe it's in my head. But I can't see myself running the paper filter. I am eventually looking at the trackey which comes with the K&N anyway. That makes me wonder why it would come with that if it wasn't beneficial? I wonder if the computer needs to learn a little before it's optimized?

#50 ·
Hmmm yeah, if the K&N is worst than the stock paper filter then why does Ford Racing send the K&N with the TrackCal and the Trackkey, interesting.

#53 ·
I too saw the comparison and I was very surprised. Guess Ford really knew what they were doing with the stock filter and air box. Now I don't have to waste money on an aftermarket CAI.

#56 ·
Anyway you can get water on air filter on 13 14 GT. If you want a CAI Airaid has a cover to shield water off filter. There are other Co. that have filter enclosed I would suggest getting one of those if you are not going to tune make sure you get one that does not require one.

#57 ·
For me it's about not letting any contaminates in the motor. Sure, a paper filter will take out anything from small rocks down to 30um stuff. K&N/Ea Amsoil/Airaid will take out down to less than 4um. As some EPA figures have shown that in an average large city like San Francisco or Chicago there can be between 400 and 600 tons of suspended dirt and other contaminates in a cubic mile of air over the city.
If I loose a couple of HP I don't care, but what I do care about is keeping the inside of the motor clean.........I've been using K&N since the 70's and Airaid since the 90's..........and I'm not switching back to cellulose.............

#58 ·
If you're done with longtubes, tune, and other mods to free up power, just get the intake, you will notice a difference. I've had two 5.0's with two different intakes and could feel a small difference. 1st one I owned was in fact dyno'd before and after and showed gains, but again, people will say it's all in the tune; crazy thing is, I had a tune for the stock box prior so.... either way, it's your money and there are better things to buy first before you even consider that modification.
I will say in defense of those that are against them, unless it is a closed box, your open element intake will be terrible when having to sit and wait in staging because all that heat. You can watch it skyrocket up on your Guage while sitting there. So that may also be a factor in your decision making idk.

#70 ·
Stock CAI and filter, because that's what has better performance unless FI or intake swap where you would actually need a bigger intake, ex Cobra Jet Manifold.

#74 ·
Chopper, you agree Im going to win the AM Bama tuner too? geez thanks bro lol..Hope Ox doesn't get mad at us. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.