Another CAI question - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
So what is the HP on a stock air box with a tune versus CAI with a tune. ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
20-25 probably. Just look,at advertised gains of a cai that requires a tune and Will probably be about that

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #37
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
So what is the HP on a stock air box with a tune versus CAI with a tune. ..

Here is what I made although the dyno is a little generous IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIB0040.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	175746  
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
On these forums I have not heard of a single person having issues with water through the vents to be honest

I did have issues with water. My filter and the shroud would be wet af after a rain. And the car would "pop" as soon as I started it for a few seconds and the car would almost die if I didn't hit the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #39

Region: Mississippi
Those are the answers I was looking for. The K&N filter I mentioned before sates they make 20 rwhp without any tune required and it is shielded from the elements. Although I could get a few more horses from a CAI with a larger MAF, it would require a tune which would cost several hundred dollars more. I think I know which route I will go.
JBlandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Grabber Blue5.0 told me that a CAI on the Mustang/Coyote motor was a waste of time and money.............Well, I had to prove it to myself because I've used CAI's on trucks with HP/TQ gains and also got better MPG pulling the race car.
I bought my 14 with 2700 miles, it had/has a Airaid CAI and a tune. The kit was purchased from Summit Racing as a package. When I drove the car at the Chevy dealer I was really impressed at the throttle response and power. Bought the car and had a service issue, so I took the tune out and put the stock tune in. It didn't have the throttle response it did with the tune and felt sluggish compared to with the tune. Got it back from dealer, warmed it up and went for quick run through the gears. It really struggled to get past 6500 (compared to the way it was with the tune) and when I came to the stop light the check engine light was on. Took it back home to read the code and it was bank#1 running lean. The next day I called SCT and a buddy at Airaid and they both told me the same thing.............on a stock tune the CAI may cause a check engine light and depending on the car it may not help.........................I put the tune back in and the car instantly came awake again................I am a believer and when Grabber Blue5.0 tells you they are worthless........he is telling you the truth...................IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlandino View Post
Those are the answers I was looking for. The K&N filter I mentioned before sates they make 20 rwhp without any tune required and it is shielded from the elements. Although I could get a few more horses from a CAI with a larger MAF, it would require a tune which would cost several hundred dollars more. I think I know which route I will go.
You won't notice a difference with that is what people,are trying to tell you

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:05 PM   #42
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I resisted the urge to buy a CAI for mine after inspecting the design of the factory one. I was impressed with fords attention to cold air and the inlet. So I went and bought a drop in K&N and I felt a difference almost immediately. I got better MPG also (not that it was my goal). And I don't have a tune. You can always be safe to say the paper filter is garbage. But I am a believer in the intake. I also hooked up my OBD II reader and observed the air temps I was getting while driving via an iPhone app, and comparing it to the ambient air temps the car displays inside and the temp stays consistently in line with the outside air temps + 3-8 degrees. That's pretty dang good. I guarantee the open air engine compartment filters are gulping 10-30 degree warmer air.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Not everything u buy for your car is a waste. And the only thing I ever got from the air raid cold air was a slight suction noise.. that's it.. the tuner is what ll get ya

brett.fries23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I resisted the urge to buy a CAI for mine after inspecting the design of the factory one. I was impressed with fords attention to cold air and the inlet. So I went and bought a drop in K&N and I felt a difference almost immediately. I got better MPG also (not that it was my goal). And I don't have a tune. You can always be safe to say the paper filter is garbage. But I am a believer in the intake. I also hooked up my OBD II reader and observed the air temps I was getting while driving via an iPhone app, and comparing it to the ambient air temps the car displays inside and the temp stays consistently in line with the outside air temps + 3-8 degrees. That's pretty dang good. I guarantee the open air engine compartment filters are gulping 10-30 degree warmer air.
As much as I'd like to believe the K&N did its job, it has been dyno proven that you're going to lose power : both n/a and FI on stock airbox, compared to paper filter. Not trying yo dish your claims so please don't be offended. Just stating the facts.

Source: article done by svtp in a controlled environment.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think that we are ever going to agree on this, but I think if you get a tune for a CAI and use the factory air box there won't be much more HP difference between the two. ..

chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Because race car
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	175767  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. ...

Old 02-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
aFe vs K&N drop-in with Airaid "tube"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Why are they called CAIs? Aren't they just sucking in hot air right under the hood? How do they add anything power related even with a tune when supposedly the stock airbox is built to bring in the most volume of air?
This seems like only a cosmetic mod to me for the limited amount of time you may have your hood open and look at stuff.
....open hood
-wow! It's a 5.0
- just. Like. Every. Other. GT.
I've experimented with several solutions & my latest setup is very good! Go aFe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_Yokohama 275's & Airaid tube 004.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	175768  
Old 02-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
As much as I'd like to believe the K&N did its job, it has been dyno proven that you're going to lose power : both n/a and FI on stock airbox, compared to paper filter. Not trying yo dish your claims so please don't be offended. Just stating the facts.

Source: article done by svtp in a controlled environment.

I'd love to read that article...feel free to provide that link 👍
Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Here:

1) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...nt-Filter-Test

2) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...n-Supercharged
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Another CAI question

Thank you for the info. That's pretty crazy. I would never have guess that could have been true. I think I will keep my K&N as I personally like the slight tone difference I get and I felt a change. Maybe it's in my head. But I can't see myself running the paper filter. I am eventually looking at the trackey which comes with the K&N anyway. That makes me wonder why it would come with that if it wasn't beneficial? I wonder if the computer needs to learn a little before it's optimized?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Thank you for the info. That's pretty crazy. I would never have guess that could have been true. I think I will keep my K&N as I personally like the slight tone difference I get and I felt a change. Maybe it's in my head. But I can't see myself running the paper filter. I am eventually looking at the trackey which comes with the K&N anyway. That makes me wonder why it would come with that if it wasn't beneficial? I wonder if the computer needs to learn a little before it's optimized?
Hmmm yeah, if the K&N is worst than the stock paper filter then why does Ford Racing send the K&N with the TrackCal and the Trackkey, interesting.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Because K&N gives them to Ford Racing to do that. It's all about product placement. More important to make money than horsepower.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Unless ur forced inducted or going to spin ur motor to 7500 plus rpms all the time a n/a setup runs fine with the stock true cai. All the rest are HAI's. Hot air induction...
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Because K&N gives them to Ford Racing to do that. It's all about product placement. More important to make money than horsepower.
I too saw the comparison and I was very surprised. Guess Ford really knew what they were doing with the stock filter and air box. Now I don't have to waste money on an aftermarket CAI.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Oh the joys of marketing. I wish KN gave the exact same power, maybe 1hp more so when it's time to switch my filter, I could go with them and no feel like I'm losing anything

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #57
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
Oh the joys of marketing. I wish KN gave the exact same power, maybe 1hp more so when it's time to switch my filter, I could go with them and no feel like I'm losing anything

I don't really care what that dyno said. I'm not running a paper filter. And I didn't notice a loss. To me it felt better. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Anyway you can get water on air filter on 13 14 GT. If you want a CAI Airaid has a cover to shield water off filter. There are other Co. that have filter enclosed I would suggest getting one of those if you are not going to tune make sure you get one that does not require one.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #59
Registered Member

Regular

For me it's about not letting any contaminates in the motor. Sure, a paper filter will take out anything from small rocks down to 30um stuff. K&N/Ea Amsoil/Airaid will take out down to less than 4um. As some EPA figures have shown that in an average large city like San Francisco or Chicago there can be between 400 and 600 tons of suspended dirt and other contaminates in a cubic mile of air over the city.
If I loose a couple of HP I don't care, but what I do care about is keeping the inside of the motor clean.........I've been using K&N since the 70's and Airaid since the 90's..........and I'm not switching back to cellulose.............
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
If you're done with longtubes, tune, and other mods to free up power, just get the intake, you will notice a difference. I've had two 5.0's with two different intakes and could feel a small difference. 1st one I owned was in fact dyno'd before and after and showed gains, but again, people will say it's all in the tune; crazy thing is, I had a tune for the stock box prior so.... either way, it's your money and there are better things to buy first before you even consider that modification.
I will say in defense of those that are against them, unless it is a closed box, your open element intake will be terrible when having to sit and wait in staging because all that heat. You can watch it skyrocket up on your Guage while sitting there. So that may also be a factor in your decision making idk.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Grabber Blue5.0 told me that a CAI on the Mustang/Coyote motor was a waste of time and money.............Well, I had to prove it to myself because I've used CAI's on trucks with HP/TQ gains and also got better MPG pulling the race car.
I bought my 14 with 2700 miles, it had/has a Airaid CAI and a tune. The kit was purchased from Summit Racing as a package. When I drove the car at the Chevy dealer I was really impressed at the throttle response and power. Bought the car and had a service issue, so I took the tune out and put the stock tune in. It didn't have the throttle response it did with the tune and felt sluggish compared to with the tune. Got it back from dealer, warmed it up and went for quick run through the gears. It really struggled to get past 6500 (compared to the way it was with the tune) and when I came to the stop light the check engine light was on. Took it back home to read the code and it was bank#1 running lean. The next day I called SCT and a buddy at Airaid and they both told me the same thing.............on a stock tune the CAI may cause a check engine light and depending on the car it may not help.........................I put the tune back in and the car instantly came awake again................I am a believer and when Grabber Blue5.0 tells you they are worthless........he is telling you the truth...................IMHO
Idk if that's a fair statement based on what you said. You ran the steeda with a bigger maf section correct? The ecu cannot effectively calculate fueling when one of the variables is incorrect (maf size). The maf reads airflow across the element, which gives you part of the equation, but without knowing the volume of the inner diameter of the inlet, you cannot get the right number. So your computer will give you x fuel for the oem intake size, when in reality, you will need more (more air, more fuel) and since it won't get that, you end up lean.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Stock Air box, tune and no tune on my 3.7 V6 I used this. When I got my GT , I used it as well. When I got my TrackKey tune, it came with the K&N. I took it out and put this one back in.

Amazon.com: aFe 30-80179 Direct Fit Inverted Replacement Filter: Automotive
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds ghetto, but I use Gorilla tape to seal up the vents on the driver's side. No issues for me.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
If you're done with longtubes, tune, and other mods to free up power, just get the intake, you will notice a difference. I've had two 5.0's with two different intakes and could feel a small difference. 1st one I owned was in fact dyno'd before and after and showed gains, but again, people will say it's all in the tune; crazy thing is, I had a tune for the stock box prior so.... either way, it's your money and there are better things to buy first before you even consider that modification.
I will say in defense of those that are against them, unless it is a closed box, your open element intake will be terrible when having to sit and wait in staging because all that heat. You can watch it skyrocket up on your Guage while sitting there. So that may also be a factor in your decision making idk.
The intake will give you 5-6 more hp. But is 6hp worth $300+ dollars?
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #65
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
The intake will give you 5-6 more hp. But is 6hp worth $300+ dollars?
As a rhetorical question, I would ask if it were worth 20 hp for 1500? Pretty close to the same ratio for a race header price per hp. Some people spend 500 for a boss manifold to lose torque and gain only a few hp, some also pay 1500 for a bit more than the boss.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
As a rhetorical question, I would ask if it were worth 20 hp for 1500? Pretty close to the same ratio for a race header price per hp. Some people spend 500 for a boss manifold to lose torque and gain only a few hp, some also pay 1500 for a bit more than the boss.
Very true. I guess it all in want you.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. ..

Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Hmmm yeah, if the K&N is worst than the stock paper filter then why does Ford Racing send the K&N with the TrackCal and the Trackkey, interesting.
Maybe because the comparison was just a swap (no tune) and the ProCal is a tune designed to tack advantage of the better flowing K&N?
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
Maybe because the comparison was just a swap (no tune) and the ProCal is a tune designed to tack advantage of the better flowing K&N?
The K&N doesn't flow better. It's more restrictive regardless of being tuned or not.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #70
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
The K&N doesn't flow better. It's more restrictive regardless of being tuned or not.

I'm pretty sure their claim to fame is that the filter flows "up to 50% better" than a standard paper filter. Just because that dyno says it wasn't worth any power doesn't mean the filter is more restrictive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai