Pre-tune purchase questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Pre-tune purchase questions

I've previously been an advocate of being cautious of tunes. I had two bad experiences with foreign turbo cars and I certainly don't want any problems with my 14 GT.
Since owning the car and a previous 11 GT, I'm convinced that mechanically these cars can take the added power. I'm just worried about check engine lights and passing state inspections annually. My state is a pain in the a when it comes to trouble codes or CELs.
So, my questions are, do you need a regular PC? Because all I have is an iPad. I'm leaning towards the Bama offered by AM. Would that be the easiest for me and offer the least chance of CELs or problems? Is there a lot of after install monkeying around I have to do or just slap it on and go? What the heck is data logging and do I really have to do any of that? Can I keep my stock airbox?
Anyone else with primitive tune experience do a minimal approach like this and fully satisfied?
I don't want a CAI, I don't want to play with it after I tune it, I just want to plug in more power and enjoy.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
First things first: if you want best bang for your buck in terms of performance, go with AED/Lund if you're manual or Mike Rousch if you're an auto. Now you can't go wrong with Bama either, their tunes are going to be slightly less powerful than others.. For obvious reasons. All of anti Bama crap you'd read on mustang forums is a thing of past. They have a new head tuner, and new set of tunes. I have personally tried their new tunes, no issues what so ever. Although some ppl wouldnt agree with it, but personally my Bama tune has better 'driving manners/driveability' than Lund. Smooth, and I love the way how my car shifts. But as I said, my car pulls harder on Lund.

2) Data logging is needed to refine your tune, so that it is custom calibrated to your car. Think of the base file they send you more like buying a $1000 suit. You still have to get it altered to fit/look right on you. Its not a pain in the arse to datalog, just plug in your SCT to your cars OBD and to your laptop. Load up the configuration file you will get from your tuner, start your car and click record button. Let it idle for about 2 mins and then drive normal for next few minutes. Stop recording and save your file.

You will also need to do datalog wot pulls to redline - 3rd gear (on street) or 4th on dyno (my preference.. Public safety). Same procedure as above. When your rpms are around 2k in 4th gear, hit record button and floor ur car to redline. That's all. Save your datalog and send both files to your tuner - he will send you a revision based of that and hopefully that be it. He might ask you to do another datalog session to make sure fueling n stuff is on par, but that's about it.

Congrats on your new tune lol.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

PS: you 'don't need a CAI to run a tune, stock airbox is already a CAI from factory. Unless you want an eye candy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I've previously been an advocate of being cautious of tunes. I had two bad experiences with foreign turbo cars and I certainly don't want any problems with my 14 GT.

Since owning the car and a previous 11 GT, I'm convinced that mechanically these cars can take the added power. I'm just worried about check engine lights and passing state inspections annually. My state is a pain in the a when it comes to trouble codes or CELs.

So, my questions are, do you need a regular PC? Because all I have is an iPad. I'm leaning towards the Bama offered by AM. Would that be the easiest for me and offer the least chance of CELs or problems? Is there a lot of after install monkeying around I have to do or just slap it on and go? What the heck is data logging and do I really have to do any of that? Can I keep my stock airbox?

Anyone else with primitive tune experience do a minimal approach like this and fully satisfied?

I don't want a CAI, I don't want to play with it after I tune it, I just want to plug in more power and enjoy.

Hey looks whose come around haha.

The tune is easy to install and you can get a mild tune as bama offers 3 times. 89 91 or 93. With an option of a race tune, as long as you don't apply the race tune you should be more than okay with the tune not being to aggressive enough to cause CELs or any problems in general. You will need a pc to upload any new tunes into a sct device. I don't remember if they come preloaded when you buy the tuner and the tunes on the same order but I believe they do. You then connect the sct device to your OBDII port and follow instructions. Fairly easy takes about 10 min. If you ever add any more mods to your car you simply re order the bama tunes for life (it's free for life) on the AM website and re update the form they give you.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Also you should not be worried about data logging it's not necessary with bama
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You can go without dataloggong, but I wouldn't recommend it. Please take the time to datalog and BAMA (or any tuner) will work with you for fine tweaking. I wouldn't want the same tune in Houston that a guy in Denver is using....different environment altogether

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WasSHOnow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Always always data log no matter who's tune you're running. Why guess if it's okay?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post

The tune is easy to install and you can get a mild tune as bama offers 3 times. 89 91 or 93. With an option of a race tune, as long as you don't apply the race tune you should be more than okay with the tune not being to aggressive enough to cause CELs or any problems in general. You will need a pc to upload any new tunes into a sct device. I don't remember if they come preloaded when you buy the tuner and the tunes on the same order but I believe they do. You then connect the sct device to your OBDII port and follow instructions. Fairly easy takes about 10 min. If you ever add any more mods to your car you simply re order the bama tunes for life (it's free for life) on the AM website and re update the form they give you.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

I have the 93R , it is docile enough to drive in the snow with a 6M. Driving manners are much better than the previous 93R tune.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

So, my questions are, do you need a regular PC?

1. Because all I have is an iPad. I'm leaning towards the Bama offered by AM.

2. Would that be the easiest for me and offer the least chance of CELs or problems?

3. Is there a lot of after install monkeying around I have to do or just slap it on and go?

4. What the heck is data logging and do I really have to do any of that? Can I keep my stock airbox?

5. Anyone else with primitive tune experience do a minimal approach like this and fully satisfied?

6. I don't want a CAI, I don't want to play with it after I tune it, I just want to plug in more power and enjoy.

Hey Waylap1

You've got some really solid questions here and I'm happy to help out! First and foremost I've had a slew of different cars and I'm not partial to one brand or another but I've my fair share of issues with foreign turbo cars be it as simple as a tune up to a a gt35r upgrade - It's never fun when you're standed on the side of the road and need 3 tow trucks just to get a "slammed" hatchback on a bed (Luckily I saw the light and came full circle)....America!

1. If you're going to stick with the Ipad you can use the Bama iTSX Tuner with V2's - It's pretty trick - Lots of bells and whistles and it has a great layout as well.

2. Most if not all issues honestly come down to vacuum leaks or firmware upgrades - You'll see me stress it in a lot of places that it's imperative that you're to have your firmware updated immediately as it's going to cut down on the probability that you'll run into issues having the tune loaded.

The firmware of any device is what controls how it functions. With loading a tune to a vehicle if this is out of date there is a change it may not load or save information properly. Having the device on the most current firmware release will help ensure that files load properly to your Mustang

3. Plug and Play! There's not much of anything that you're going to need to do after the fact and it's akin to set it and forget it! When I ran Bama's Race Tune on my Bullitt I never changed it as I only ran 93 through my car. (Surprise I just traded it the other day, but I'm still in a Ford!)

4. Check out "How To Datalog"

It's something where the Bama Team will be able to really look inside for lack of a better term in order to fine tune your setup even further. I think that this should be mandatory when doing a tune on anything!

While you can absolutely keep your stock airbox or (Factory Cold Air Intake) as it's been said I think it's a no brainer to shoot for a Cold Air Intake along with the tuner as they're going to work hand in hand with eachother. Ford makes a fantastic product but it's been beaten to death that it's the end all be all for a cold air intake but I don't buy it. I want to see a tube with a massive filter! This isn't rocket science and more air = more power! It's the perfect recipe for modding anything. Mustang, Truck, etc.

5. Yes and absolutely - It's been the first two mods I've done on all of my cars for well over a decade! If you're looking for more horsepower, torque and improved throttle response it's the way to go!

6. We can absolutely help make this a reality and we can walk you through the install from A to Z if need be - Our technical support between AM and Bama is paramount and we wont let our Mustang Experts on the phones if they're not able to to help someone install a Cold Air Intake over the phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
First things first: if you want best bang for your buck in terms of performance, go with AED/Lund if you're manual or Mike Rousch if you're an auto. Now you can't go wrong with Bama either, their tunes are going to be slightly less powerful than others.. For obvious reasons. All of anti Bama crap you'd read on mustang forums is a thing of past. They have a new head tuner, and new set of tunes. I have personally tried their new tunes, no issues what so ever. Although some ppl wouldnt agree with it, but personally my Bama tune has better 'driving manners/driveability' than Lund. Smooth, and I love the way how my car shifts. But as I said, my car pulls harder on Lund.

2) Data logging is needed to refine your tune, so that it is custom calibrated to your car. Think of the base file they send you more like buying a $1000 suit. You still have to get it altered to fit/look right on you. Its not a pain in the arse to datalog, just plug in your SCT to your cars OBD and to your laptop. Load up the configuration file you will get from your tuner, start your car and click record button. Let it idle for about 2 mins and then drive normal for next few minutes. Stop recording and save your file.

You will also need to do datalog wot pulls to redline - 3rd gear (on street) or 4th on dyno (my preference.. Public safety). Same procedure as above. When your rpms are around 2k in 4th gear, hit record button and floor ur car to redline. That's all. Save your datalog and send both files to your tuner - he will send you a revision based of that and hopefully that be it. He might ask you to do another datalog session to make sure fueling n stuff is on par, but that's about it.

Congrats on your new tune lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
PS: you 'don't need a CAI to run a tune, stock airbox is already a CAI from factory. Unless you want an eye candy.
Hey bazinga11 - Did we get you set up with V2's yet?? I swear I saw you working with my guy AMWill the other day! If not let me know and I'm happy to get you set up! I think you would really be surprised with how much improvement had been made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post

Hey Joaquin - At this time Bama is only offering 2 tunes here (Performance and Track) but in regards to the Datalogging comment we really encourage and ask that Bama's customers do so after the fact in order to dial in the tune even further!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasSHOnow5.0 View Post
You can go without dataloggong, but I wouldn't recommend it. Please take the time to datalog and BAMA (or any tuner) will work with you for fine tweaking. I wouldn't want the same tune in Houston that a guy in Denver is using....different environment altogether
This!! I can't stress it enough guys! Get a datalog set up!

If anyone has any other questions please don't hesitate to let me know and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Pre-tune purchase questions

Okay this might seem dumb....but I was looking into a tune and I thought all you have to do is plug it in and you're good. I understand you have to data log so you can make the tune perfect for your car but this all seems more complicated than that. I don't want to tune if it's going to be that complicated. I'm very new to this

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Okay this might seem dumb....but I was looking into a tune and I thought all you have to do is plug it in and you're good. I understand you have to data log so you can make the tune perfect for your car but this all seems more complicated than that. I don't want to tune if it's going to be that complicated. I'm very new to this

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Lol dude it ain't complicated. All you have to do is plug in your tuner and computer. That's all, let it record and your car will do rest of the job. Take it to a dyno shop to do a WOT pull if you can't do it on the street.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The tailoring of a suit is a good analogy.

Hey maybe the suit already fits perfectly right off the rack or maybe there's a lot of room of your particular "suit" (tune) to be tailored for a much better fit for you (your engine).

You really don't know, unless you take the measurements (datalog).

That said.... the stock fit (base aftermarket tune - not datalogged) is a little broader and might be a what YOU want anyway. ie: its not squeezing every little ounce of performance out of your car. Maybe 29hp is enough and you don't need 35hp for bragging right or whatever.

Though there always could be a problem with the tune and your particular component combination and might not be enough to throw a CEL, but just not optimal so doing a datalog will also make sure everything is ok & running smoothly.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not trying to hijack this thread, but has anyone had experience with their warranty being voided because of their tune? My car only has 6k on it, so I've still got some life left in the warranty and I'd prefer to not cause any issues.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTheIV View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but has anyone had experience with their warranty being voided because of their tune? My car only has 6k on it, so I've still got some life left in the warranty and I'd prefer to not cause any issues.
It is better to presume your warranty would be void with an aftermarket tune. However, the dealership have to prove your tune is what caused xyz problem.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I bought my car with 500 miles and drove it home (200 miles) and immediately loaded a tune. Well worth it. Happy Friday to me. I just loaded a cam tune with ORX and it's simply heaven... Do it Waylap.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I can't believe this but I'm actually getting excited about the iTSX. My main concern was disturbing my cars good record so far of no troubles or check engine lights. It seems like that would be a rare occasion and the support is there to clear it up.
My previous GT was a 2011 I had purchased used. That car must have had a tune of some sort and I never knew it because when I really got on it, it scared the ***** out of me.
Either I'm getting more used to driving a coyote 6 manual or my 2014 isn't the beast the 11 was. Either way, it looks like I would be really happy with a tune.
Now.....where can I get $470 without skipping the mortgage payment?

And on a side note....what's the secret I'm missing where all you guys are forking over $7 large for superchargers etc?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
I can't believe this but I'm actually getting excited about the iTSX. My main concern was disturbing my cars good record so far of no troubles or check engine lights. It seems like that would be a rare occasion and the support is there to clear it up.
My previous GT was a 2011 I had purchased used. That car must have had a tune of some sort and I never knew it because when I really got on it, it scared the ***** out of me.
Either I'm getting more used to driving a coyote 6 manual or my 2014 isn't the beast the 11 was. Either way, it looks like I would be really happy with a tune.
Now.....where can I get $470 without skipping the mortgage payment?

And on a side note....what's the secret I'm missing where all you guys are forking over $7 large for superchargers etc?
Honestly I would just get the x4. I don't see the need to pay extra for itsx

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Honestly I would just get the x4. I don't see the need to pay extra for itsx

I don't have a pc, just an iPad. And a thin wallet.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
I don't have a pc, just an iPad. And a thin wallet.
Ah I was going to add on there unless you don't have a pc of some kind lol

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I'm an old guy and not computer savy. If I do a tune on my new 14 how do you go about datalogging????
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I'm an old guy and not computer savy. If I do a tune on my new 14 how do you go about datalogging????
Honestly in todays era anything you need to learn how to do is on "You Tube". Just find a video of a knowledgeable person

P.s. or call Bama,Lund,Mpt,Steeda, or Sctflash.com and they will talk you through step by step.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Read post #8 again. Highlighted hyperlink was given.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Never thought of you-tube. Thanks!!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
I have the 93R , it is docile enough to drive in the snow with a 6M. Driving manners are much better than the previous 93R tune.
To add to this, we had an unexpected 10 inch dumping of snow today. I made it home 20 miles from work, my co worker with an Altima did not and had to stay in a hotel.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I had a bama tune that was so rough. I just got my final aed tune via email but there is now snow outside. I can say that even the baseline aed mapping was twice as good. So worth it.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
I had a bama tune that was so rough. I just got my final aed tune via email but there is now snow outside. I can say that even the baseline aed mapping was twice as good. So worth it.
The new V2 tune is not rough. Night and day difference between the old tuner and the new guy who used to own his own shop and apparently knows his business.
All of the drivability issues I had with my old 93R setup are now gone.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
It would be good if AM / Bama posted some official release date information for the V2 tunes on their Website.

I don't have their tunes, but if they're using rev / file #'s. I hope they started a new series. Ex: 2.xxx So you can look in your SCT tuner and if you see a revision # of 1.xxx you know you need to update. It sounds like the main tunes have been getting reworked since Dec. 2014. So I'm guessing if you have a tune from before then it might be a good idea to update ?

I was contemplating a tune from Mike Rousch since I have an auto and I keep hearing his name mentioned when it comes to auto tunes. But when I saw there's no bundle discount that I'd need to buy a $400 tuner + his $250 tune. I thought I might as well get the Bama tunes for life for $400 try it out and see how I like it.... then later on buy his tune(s) if I'm not satisfied.

But then I found a good deal on a used Ford ProCal, which is what I was kind of leaning towards for now while under warranty. ( <3,000 miles on car still )
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
It would be good if AM / Bama posted some official release date information for the V2 tunes on their Website.

I don't have their tunes, but if they're using rev / file #'s. I hope they started a new serious. Ex: 2.xxx So you can look in your SCT tuner and if you see a revision # of 1.xxx you know you need to update. It sounds like the main tunes have been getting reworked since Dec. 2014. So I'm guessing if you have a tune from before then it might be a good idea to update ?

I was contemplating a tune from Mike Rousch since I have an auto and I keep hearing his name mentioned when it comes to auto tunes. But when I saw there's no bundle discount that I'd need to buy a $400 tuner + his $250 tune. I thought I might as well get the Bama tunes for life for $400 try it out and see how I like it.... then later on buy his tune(s) if I'm not satisfied.

But then I found a good deal on a used Ford ProCal, which is what I was kind of leaning towards for now while under warranty. ( <3,000 miles on car still )
Don't forget VMP on auto's...
Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

I don't have their tunes, but if they're using rev / file #'s. I hope they started a new serious. Ex: 2.xxx So you can look in your SCT tuner and if you see a revision # of 1.xxx you know you need to update. It sounds like the main tunes have been getting reworked since Dec. 2014. So I'm guessing if you have a tune from before then it might be a good idea to update ?

I agree. Not sure what I had but it was in December 2014, so to me it would be v2 but who knows.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Hey Scott, I also have a 2014 Premium GT 6sp, Sterling Grey. I am looking into getting the bama 93 race tune but heard its too much trouble on the street. You said the one you have is the newer version and its ok? Can you really feel the difference in power over stock? I see you ran 12.80 @114, was that with the tune? By the way, does your bama tune come with the 2 step launch control? Thanks.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT