Review - Solo Performance Axlebacks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Review - Solo Performance Axlebacks

I come here today to show case the new Axlebacks from Solo Performance. This company is very well known in the G8 and GTO world. they have just recently branched out into the Mustang community and personally i'm glad they did.

Solo Performance is well know for their infamous J-Pipe that cancels ALL DRONE. Now i know you will ask how a muffler delete is going to have absolutely no drone at all? Well ladies and gentlemen it is because of their J-Pipe Technology they have created and adapted to all of their exhaust systems.

Essentially it is a J-style pipe that is welded onto they're existing muffler delete to allow all the exhaust frequencies to enter that pipe, travel down, and hit the adjustable end cap and bounce back to cancel itself out, eliminating all drone. I mentioned the adjust-ability because each exhaust setup is different. I personally run Kooks 1 7/8' long tube headers, off road X-pipe, JPC OTA pipes, and SOLO's axlebacks. I will tell you this now, my last muffler delete droned like crazy and at cruising speeds it annoyed the hell out of me. Well that is no more, after adjusting the J-pipe cap i was able to find the sweet spot and have ZERO drone. I'd like to mention I've have plenty of different setups, Roush, Borla, SLP, Pypes, Flowmaster, and T-Phlo. So when i say I've had experience in exhaust systems i really do.

I Absolutely love my new axlebacks from Solo and to be honest they have top notch people at Solo who are knowledgeable and courteous. I personally dealt with Jeff Boychuk, he was one of the coolest down to earth guys I've dealt with in a very long time. He was genuinely excited to get me a set sent out to test for them. I was glad i did as i just found my axleback that's going to be on for a very long time.

If anyone has questions on quality of the axleback let me reassure you that they did not skimp out of material. They will not rust, they will not leak, and they will sound amazing from the day you bought them till the day you put your keys down for the final time. The quality is great, look and finish is great, welds are great, overall i give this system a 9/10. Did i mention the nice big 4' Tips? Double wall, curve slit tips fit my CS rear valence perfectly.

When i ordered i expected a meh box and half rate packing because to be honest most of the exhaust systems allways had a scratch here or there. This was NOT the case with Solo. They sent me the Axlebacks in a large box, the kind headers come in. The box was solid in construction no half rate stuff here. When i opened it up i was happy to see they wrapped up the axlebacks in packing paper, enough the keep everything from moving an inch and to keep everything safe in transit. I really appreciated this because they want their customers satisfied the first time around. I cant remember how many times I've had to call about the damages made in transit.

I am uploading a review video with Cold Start, Idle, and drive by videos as i write this and i will be editing to include it in this post as soon as its completed.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me or give Jeff a call. Jeff Boychuk SOLO PERFORMANCE INC. Contact Information: Cell: (905) 703-1557 or Steve Cell: (516) 655-9002 Or (716) 875-SOLO

Sent from my LG-D850 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424958279284.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	176210   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424958291209.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	176211  

Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone on the all ford forums that thinks I work for solo will be saddened when they find out I don't hahaha this is my personal account so relax. If I worked for solo I wouldn't have had to pay for axlebacks full retail.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Are these louder than Gt500 ab? Better sound?

Thanks for your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
14sgmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14sgmgt View Post
Are these louder than Gt500 ab? Better sound?

Thanks for your review.

Well these are essentially muffler deletes, so yes louder than gt500s. I love the sound personally especially since I have no drone at all cruising or just in & out of traffic.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the heads up! I await the audio/video.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Almost... got there axle backs....THEY ARE GREAT GUYS....
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hey Charlie

Where the heck ya been????
Do you still have your 3.7 V6?????
I see your still testing out the new stuff.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
^^^This, Nice to see your still around Charlie!!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower MIMD grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Where the heck ya been????
Do you still have your 3.7 V6?????
I see your still testing out the new stuff.
Ronnie
Hahaha been around brotha, building the 5.0 so the sixxer is my Daily.

Yea I love trying new stuff out 😎

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
^^^This, Nice to see your still around Charlie!!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower MIMD grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
Been busy brother. I still check in and read the posts

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Sounds like a sales pitch.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What is the current price of these? That sales pitch may have worked...

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao no sales pitch here. I'm a veteran I help and inform don't sell here.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
im willing to post positive reviews in exchange for "testing" them.
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
How is fitment using the Cats on back.????

Do they hang below the frame?
I have seen these types of pipes on trucks to keep the noise down about 50 years ago.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

According to their video, the pipes are hidden unlike my GT500 ab.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #16

Very excited to pick their catback up this spring. Haven't seen it being sold through many vendors though. Where's the best place to order a set ya think?

Goblin_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #17

Region: California
These have stolen my attention away from other brands. Id love to get a set of these but with quad tips.
NicoPlated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I had axlebacks on my G8 and they sound fantastic. Solo not only has some great products but their customer service is probably the best. Highly recommend them! And most importantly the J-pipes do work! I would have gone with them for my 5.0 but I didn't know they even had an axleback for us. I thought they only had the catback.

Regardless +1 for Solo, great company!

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Anything for the 3v?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Do they hang below the frame?
I have seen these types of pipes on trucks to keep the noise down about 50 years ago.
Ronnie
No they are hidden. You can't see the jpipes at all.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin_302 View Post
Very excited to pick their catback up this spring. Haven't seen it being sold through many vendors though. Where's the best place to order a set ya think?

If you want just the axleback and not the catback go through Jeff and let him know Charlie sent you. If u want the full cat back and want to order via vender u can go through stage 3 motorsports but Jeff can set u up quicker. Mention my name and I'll see what kind of deal he can get u. Pricing on axleback alone isn't set yet. The catback is on stage 3s website

Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

I'm tired of my stock mufflers & they are heavy. Solo will get a call from me if they have a set for a 3.7 Cyclone. I recently got a UPR catch can and added it to my recent Airaid "tube" experiment with aFe Dry-S inverted air filter. Great experiment for $155.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_UPR catch can 004.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	176398   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_UPR catch can 007.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	176399  

Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I would definitely look into the catback over the axleback. They use a pro chamber style mid muffler and 3" pipe all the way back. That's how you'd get that deep classic muscle sound. With just the axlebacks you're just getting the muffler deletes and you're keeping the crappy oem mid pipe and resonators... It would be significantly quieter and not as deep sounding. And for less than $900. Not a bad deal. Not to mention that you'd be hard pressed to find someone else in your area with the same exhaust set-up. Unlike the dozen or more ROUSH, GT500, and flowmaster exhaust you hear every square mile. Not bagging on those guys. I have the GT500 a/b res. deleted and I LOVE the sound of the ROUSHs.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
I'm tired of my stock mufflers & they are heavy. Solo will get a call from me if they have a set for a 3.7 Cyclone. I recently got a UPR catch can and added it to my recent Airaid "tube" experiment with aFe Dry-S inverted air filter. Great experiment for $155.00
They do have a set for the cyclone so I'd give Jeff a call and tell him Charlie sent you!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
I would definitely look into the catback over the axleback. They use a pro chamber style mid muffler and 3" pipe all the way back. That's how you'd get that deep classic muscle sound. With just the axlebacks you're just getting the muffler deletes and you're keeping the crappy oem mid pipe and resonators... It would be significantly quieter and not as deep sounding. And for less than $900. Not a bad deal. Not to mention that you'd be hard pressed to find someone else in your area with the same exhaust set-up. Unlike the dozen or more ROUSH, GT500, and flowmaster exhaust you hear every square mile. Not bagging on those guys. I have the GT500 a/b res. deleted and I LOVE the sound of the ROUSHs.
I talked to Jeff about the catback later down the road but I currently have a complete full exhaust. Long tubes, xpipe, jpc ota pipes, and solo axlebacks. I'd have to get a buyer for my jpc ota pipes before I ordered the catback

Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Heres a link to them on my car, out of the five axle backs I've had, these are by far my favorite http://youtu.be/WtpZZVPi-_M
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5.0nc View Post
Heres a link to them on my car, out of the five axle backs I've had, these are by far my favorite http://youtu.be/WtpZZVPi-_M

Can we get a rev? I've never even heard of this brand until now. The idea of NO DRONE excites me. I also have a not so common brand, MRT. I picked up the KR version which is the muffler delete, and I love it. It's thunderous, but there's a slight drone around 1900. Nothing unbearable.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What else is done to your exhaust?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Resonators deleted, otherwise completely stock.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Resonators deleted, otherwise completely stock.

Sounds almost cammed lol. Very good sounding.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Sounds almost cammed lol. Very good sounding.

His video says lopey idle from the track key. Not to discredit the video or the sound of the car. It sounds great in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

A
Quote:
His video says lopey idle from the track key. Not to discredit the video or the sound of the car. It sounds great in my opinion.
ahhhh didn't catch that.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Wow that sounds nice! Solo makes a great product!

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

A
Quote:
ahhhh didn't catch that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT