Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Review - Solo Performance Axlebacks

6K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  2014oxstang 
#1 · (Edited)
I come here today to show case the new Axlebacks from Solo Performance. This company is very well known in the G8 and GTO world. they have just recently branched out into the Mustang community and personally i'm glad they did.

Solo Performance is well know for their infamous J-Pipe that cancels ALL DRONE. Now i know you will ask how a muffler delete is going to have absolutely no drone at all? Well ladies and gentlemen it is because of their J-Pipe Technology they have created and adapted to all of their exhaust systems.

Essentially it is a J-style pipe that is welded onto they're existing muffler delete to allow all the exhaust frequencies to enter that pipe, travel down, and hit the adjustable end cap and bounce back to cancel itself out, eliminating all drone. I mentioned the adjust-ability because each exhaust setup is different. I personally run Kooks 1 7/8' long tube headers, off road X-pipe, JPC OTA pipes, and SOLO's axlebacks. I will tell you this now, my last muffler delete droned like crazy and at cruising speeds it annoyed the hell out of me. Well that is no more, after adjusting the J-pipe cap i was able to find the sweet spot and have ZERO drone. I'd like to mention I've have plenty of different setups, Roush, Borla, SLP, Pypes, Flowmaster, and T-Phlo. So when i say I've had experience in exhaust systems i really do.

I Absolutely love my new axlebacks from Solo and to be honest they have top notch people at Solo who are knowledgeable and courteous. I personally dealt with Jeff Boychuk, he was one of the coolest down to earth guys I've dealt with in a very long time. He was genuinely excited to get me a set sent out to test for them. I was glad i did as i just found my axleback that's going to be on for a very long time.

If anyone has questions on quality of the axleback let me reassure you that they did not skimp out of material. They will not rust, they will not leak, and they will sound amazing from the day you bought them till the day you put your keys down for the final time. The quality is great, look and finish is great, welds are great, overall i give this system a 9/10. Did i mention the nice big 4' Tips? Double wall, curve slit tips fit my CS rear valence perfectly.

When i ordered i expected a meh box and half rate packing because to be honest most of the exhaust systems allways had a scratch here or there. This was NOT the case with Solo. They sent me the Axlebacks in a large box, the kind headers come in. The box was solid in construction no half rate stuff here. When i opened it up i was happy to see they wrapped up the axlebacks in packing paper, enough the keep everything from moving an inch and to keep everything safe in transit. I really appreciated this because they want their customers satisfied the first time around. I cant remember how many times I've had to call about the damages made in transit.

I am uploading a review video with Cold Start, Idle, and drive by videos as i write this and i will be editing to include it in this post as soon as its completed.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me or give Jeff a call. Jeff Boychuk SOLO PERFORMANCE INC. Contact Information: Cell: (905) 703-1557 or Steve Cell: (516) 655-9002 Or (716) 875-SOLO

Sent from my LG-D850 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone on the all ford forums that thinks I work for solo will be saddened when they find out I don't hahaha this is my personal account so relax. If I worked for solo I wouldn't have had to pay for axlebacks full retail.

#5 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I await the audio/video.

#6 ·
Almost... got there axle backs....THEY ARE GREAT GUYS....

#7 ·
Hey Charlie

Where the heck ya been????
Do you still have your 3.7 V6?????
I see your still testing out the new stuff.
Ronnie

#9 ·
Where the heck ya been????
Do you still have your 3.7 V6?????
I see your still testing out the new stuff.
Ronnie
Hahaha been around brotha, building the 5.0 so the sixxer is my Daily.

Yea I love trying new stuff out ?

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

^^^This, Nice to see your still around Charlie!!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower MIMD grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
Been busy brother. I still check in and read the posts

#8 ·
^^^This, Nice to see your still around Charlie!!

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower MIMD grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,

#14 ·
How is fitment using the Cats on back.????

Do they hang below the frame?
I have seen these types of pipes on trucks to keep the noise down about 50 years ago.
Ronnie

#21 ·
If you want just the axleback and not the catback go through Jeff and let him know Charlie sent you. If u want the full cat back and want to order via vender u can go through stage 3 motorsports but Jeff can set u up quicker. Mention my name and I'll see what kind of deal he can get u. Pricing on axleback alone isn't set yet. The catback is on stage 3s website

#18 ·
I had axlebacks on my G8 and they sound fantastic. Solo not only has some great products but their customer service is probably the best. Highly recommend them! And most importantly the J-pipes do work! I would have gone with them for my 5.0 but I didn't know they even had an axleback for us. I thought they only had the catback.

Regardless +1 for Solo, great company!

#22 ·
2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

I'm tired of my stock mufflers & they are heavy. Solo will get a call from me if they have a set for a 3.7 Cyclone. I recently got a UPR catch can and added it to my recent Airaid "tube" experiment with aFe Dry-S inverted air filter. Great experiment for $155.00

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm tired of my stock mufflers & they are heavy. Solo will get a call from me if they have a set for a 3.7 Cyclone. I recently got a UPR catch can and added it to my recent Airaid "tube" experiment with aFe Dry-S inverted air filter. Great experiment for $155.00
They do have a set for the cyclone so I'd give Jeff a call and tell him Charlie sent you!

#23 ·
I would definitely look into the catback over the axleback. They use a pro chamber style mid muffler and 3" pipe all the way back. That's how you'd get that deep classic muscle sound. With just the axlebacks you're just getting the muffler deletes and you're keeping the crappy oem mid pipe and resonators... It would be significantly quieter and not as deep sounding. And for less than $900. Not a bad deal. Not to mention that you'd be hard pressed to find someone else in your area with the same exhaust set-up. Unlike the dozen or more ROUSH, GT500, and flowmaster exhaust you hear every square mile. Not bagging on those guys. I have the GT500 a/b res. deleted and I LOVE the sound of the ROUSHs.

#25 ·
I talked to Jeff about the catback later down the road but I currently have a complete full exhaust. Long tubes, xpipe, jpc ota pipes, and solo axlebacks. I'd have to get a buyer for my jpc ota pipes before I ordered the catback

#27 ·
Can we get a rev? I've never even heard of this brand until now. The idea of NO DRONE excites me. I also have a not so common brand, MRT. I picked up the KR version which is the muffler delete, and I love it. It's thunderous, but there's a slight drone around 1900. Nothing unbearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#33 ·
Wow that sounds nice! Solo makes a great product!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.