1.5 Inch drop - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Simple answer, Nope!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
TYVM
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
TYVM

No problem broski. Any time.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mustangz did ur acct get hacked??? I thought u'd be well past this type of question. Lol

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've settled on this being the drop I'll get, what all would I need other than the springs, and ph bar, I've heard mixed about getting CC plates or not needing them, same about shocks and struts
If you want to make sure that your tires wear more evenly, camber is a thing. A cheap way to allow for adjustment is to slot the bottom hole of the strut where the strut bolts to the knuckle.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
When I eventually do lower my car I will be getting the Koni orange and either steeda, bmr or SR springs. My question is should I stick with the GT500 strut mount or get Caster camber plates? My only concern is how much more NVH the caster camber plates will make.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
When I eventually do lower my car I will be getting the Koni orange and either steeda, bmr or SR springs. My question is should I stick with the GT500 strut mount or get Caster camber plates? My only concern is how much more NVH the caster camber plates will make.

I can't attest to how much or how little NVH is created by CC plates as I don't have them. I only have the GT500 mounts and they don't make a peep. It's really going to be dependent if you can still be in or around oem spec for alignment. I myself like you, was weary about actually needing CC plates because I simply didn't think the drop warranted it. I lucked out and was still able to get re alignment within spec. Some others have had issues and have needed them. Another thing is, what will you be doing with with car? DD, road racing, dragging? Road racing id say get them because you'll need the adjustment. If it's a DD, go the GT500 route.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I will be DD'ing my car, but I want better handling. I don't want to just lower my car and have the same floaty feeling as stock...just lower. I figure Koni orange and a 1.25 to 1.5 drop would give me what I want. Its so hard picking springs because everyone has different opinions on handling and what they qualify as good. I've driven Miatas and other small sports cars so I know what the rail like feeling is all about...but the more reviews I read the more confused I get. Lol
Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I will be DD'ing my car, but I want better handling. I don't want to just lower my car and have the same floaty feeling as stock...just lower. I figure Koni orange and a 1.25 to 1.5 drop would give me what I want. Its so hard picking springs because everyone has different opinions on handling and what they qualify as good. I've driven Miatas and other small sports cars so I know what the rail like feeling is all about...but the more reviews I read the more confused I get. Lol

SR's and koni str.t's (Orange) end thread/ lol. Seriously you won't be disappointed. GT500 mounts of course.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Mustangz did ur acct get hacked??? I thought u'd be well past this type of question. Lol

Too much conflicting info on a 1.5 inch drop. I knew what I'd have to get on a 1 inch drop. Debating on buying P springs(1 inch drop) or RTR springs (1.5 drop).
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Generic info

Quote:
Too much conflicting info on a 1.5 inch drop. I knew what I'd have to get on a 1 inch drop. Debating on buying P springs(1 inch drop) or RTR springs (1.5 drop).
1" springs IMO are the way to go. You will have basically no scraping issues. You'll still be able to get in & out of driveways fairly easily. You can still straddle uneven roads with out scraping your mufflers, etc.

1.5" springs and you'll start scraping things. Not horribly but A LOT more often. That extra 1/2 inch is all the difference in the world.

The rear springs 05-14 are all the same, so fit doesn't matter.

But I BELIEVE the front springs are little different from 05-10 & 11-14.
So when you see a spring kit that says 05-14, you will probably need a new GT500 mount or CC plates. There are 11-14 specific kits that I believe fit in to the stock 11-14 mount properly with out the clunking afterwards.

GT500 mounts - only work with 05-09 shocks.
CC plates can work with either.

The difference between 05-10 & 11-14 is the length of the stud that sticks through the center of the mount/CC plate. 05-10 are long & fit through the thicker GT500 mount. 11-14 shock's studs are short and will only work with CC plates or 11-14 mounts.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
1" springs IMO are the way to go. You will have basically no scraping issues. You'll still be able to get in & out of driveways fairly easily. You can still straddle uneven roads with out scraping your mufflers, etc.

1.5" springs and you'll start scraping things. Not horribly but A LOT more often. That extra 1/2 inch is all the difference in the world.

So when you see a spring kit that says 05-14, you will probably need a new GT500 mount or CC plates. There are 11-14 specific kits that I believe fit in to the stock 11-14 mount properly with out the clunking afterwards.

The difference between 05-10 & 11-14 is the length of the stud that sticks through the center of the mount/CC plate. 05-10 are long & fit through the thicker GT500 mount. 11-14 shock's studs are short and will only work with CC plates or 11-14 mounts.

Some good points here. However, the only thing I ever scrape are my relocation brackets on speed bumps. Everything else I'm fine with clearing, and I have some good inclines to deal with daily. Just have to be a SMIDGE more careful than normal lol.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Some good points here. However, the only thing I ever scrape are my relocation brackets on speed bumps. Everything else I'm fine with clearing, and I have some good inclines to deal with daily. Just have to be a SMIDGE more careful than normal lol.

I've scraped my exhaust numerous times. Along with my relocation brackets dozens of times hahaha

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
There are other factors involved.. how much weight or how many people are in your car. What type of exhaust you have.. skinny ones like Pypes, Flowmaster, Heartthrob, etc. won't hit. But the point is 1" you can still drive the car normally with out worrying too much about scraping. When/if you do scrape its very minor VS. that extra 1/2 inch you will be scrapping a lot more often.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I agree, I'm all stock exhaust wise besides an MRT KR axle back. The relo's are legit a few inches off the ground.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

Sorry if I'm not getting this: I have Koni orange (11-14) that I haven't installed yet. Would I need 05-10 or 11-14 gt500 mounts? Just too much conflicting info that I've reading across different mustang forums
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
1.5 Inch drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Sorry if I'm not getting this: I have Koni orange (11-14) that I haven't installed yet. Would I need 05-10 or 11-14 gt500 mounts? Just too much conflicting info that I've reading across different mustang forums

With those struts made for a 2011-14 you cannot use the gt500 mounts. I realize the gt500s used these in 2011-14 but they still utilized the 05-09 style strut. It's longer in the top which is required to use the gt500 mounts
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
With those struts made for a 2011-14 you cannot use the gt500 mounts

^this.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

One factor forgotten also, geographical location. Someone residing in say Arizona isn't going to encounter issues like I am in MA. It's all about pre planning routes beforehand. And honest to god, I rarely have to do that. If I can handle a 1.5" in MA with craptastic roads, I think anyone can lol. I get made fun of because it not low enough lol. It's functional and I like it.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One factor forgotten also, geographical location. Someone residing in say Arizona isn't going to encounter issues like I am in MA. It's all about pre planning routes beforehand. And honest to god, I rarely have to do that. If I can handle a 1.5" in MA with craptastic roads, I think anyone can lol. I get made fun of because it not low enough lol. It's functional and I like it.

Massachusetts... oh dear...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Massachusetts... oh dear...

Not sure if you're being sarcastic lol, but Springfield MA has THEE crappiest roads known to man. They don't repave the roads, they patch them, the holes open right back up. This winter, and the plows have destroyed the roads that much more. I'm just glad I have a beater this year.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

And my point is, if I can handle the roads here, anyone can. A 1.5" drop is nothing compared to some of these stanced cars (which I think is dumb as hell btw) lol

Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why does no one hear consider ford k springs? I feel like an outcast

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Why does no one here consider ford k springs? I feel like an outcast

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
Why does no one hear consider ford k springs? I feel like an outcast

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Why does no one here consider ford k springs? I feel like an outcast

Lol not sure bro. I know a select few who run them. They just don't seem to be popular for whatever reason.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
With those struts made for a 2011-14 you cannot use the gt500 mounts. I realize the gt500s used these in 2011-14 but they still utilized the 05-09 style strut. It's longer in the top which is required to use the gt500 mounts
So looks like I'm stuck with stock mounts then? And as you know their little bearings have a habit of splattering all over when you take the mount out, what's my best option here?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

1.5 Inch drop

Quote:
So looks like I'm stuck with stock mounts then? And as you know their little bearings have a habit of splattering all over when you take the mount out, what's my best option here?

Caster camber plates at this point. It'll cost ya a little more than GT500 mounts, but you'll have adjustability, and they sure do look snazzy! Lol

Or, don't break the oem ones, and reuse them as others have suggested. Mine crapped out immediately, and I kinda knew they would. That's why I went the koni 05-09 route with the GT500 mounts.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
1.5 Inch drop

Quote:

Or you can sell your oranges and buy the 05-09's I just picked up a set of used Steeda CC plates for mine that are for the 11-14 only. I am still looking for struts...
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Steeda is having a sell right now on Konis right now actually fyi.

I used the Koni yellows(11-14 model) with Steeda sport springs(1"-front/1.25"-back) and the combination is excellent, they really compliment each other in improving multiple areas. The great thing about the mild drop is that they lowered me enough to make a noticeable difference in appearance by minimizing the gap as well as better handling with the lower center of gravity. Another nice thing about it is the other suspension upgrades like relocation brackets, LCA's, UCA's, bumpsteer kits, ball joints, etc., don't have to be installed immediately to maintain a still properly functioning suspension setup.

The one thing I would say I regret is not going with the Ultralites because just that little 1/4" lower all around would have made the wheel/tire gap the perfect difference.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

So I just want to make sure I have this right, most likely the OEM mounts will not be usable once you take them off and you should probably get the 05-09 GT500 mounts for my 2014 GT correct with my lowering springs?

Also, are the Eibach Sportline a comfortable ride for a DD? I don't want to go the H&R Super Sport route, I don't think they are that practical for a DD.

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50OHHHHH View Post
So I just want to make sure I have this right, most likely the OEM mounts will not be usable once you take them off and you should probably get the 05-09 GT500 mounts for my 2014 GT correct with my lowering springs?

Also, are the Eibach Sportline a comfortable ride for a DD? I don't want to go the H&R Super Sport route, I don't think they are that practical for a DD.

Yes to ur 1st question but make sure u know that 05-09 GT500 mounts only work with 05-09 struts & won't fit 11-14 oem struts.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

What would you use then for mounts if I am keeping my stuts then and the old ones dont make it?

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
Old 03-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50OHHHHH View Post
What would you use then for mounts if I am keeping my stuts then and the old ones dont make it?

You'd have to put them back together or get CC plates.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Aweome! Thanks fellas!

Old 03-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone have experience with the steeda heavy duty strut mounts for 11 to 14 cars? I've decided to run steeda sports (linear) with my koni yellows and I like the fact that they claim no increased NVH. My only concern is they have no caster adjustment (according to steeda we already have 7.5 which is a lot) and only 1° of camber. Is that 1° enough to get me well within spec instead of at the "edge" of spec? If not I'll get the MM plates, but I hate how you have to use the bottom part of the factory strut mount.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Steeda is having a sell right now on Konis right now actually fyi.

I used the Koni yellows(11-14 model) with Steeda sport springs(1"-front/1.25"-back) and the combination is excellent, they really compliment each other in improving multiple areas. The great thing about the mild drop is that they lowered me enough to make a noticeable difference in appearance by minimizing the gap as well as better handling with the lower center of gravity. Another nice thing about it is the other suspension upgrades like relocation brackets, LCA's, UCA's, bumpsteer kits, ball joints, etc., don't have to be installed immediately to maintain a still properly functioning suspension setup.

The one thing I would say I regret is not going with the Ultralites because just that little 1/4" lower all around would have made the wheel/tire gap the perfect difference.
Do you have any pictures? I thought about the ultralights but I read that the koni yellows actually drop the car .25 inches since the mounting bolts are lower. That would makes the Steeda sports sit at 1.25F and 1.50R. Did you find this to be true?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT