1.5 Inch drop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
1.5 Inch drop

I've settled on this being the drop I'll get, what all would I need other than the springs, and ph bar, I've heard mixed about getting CC plates or not needing them, same about shocks and struts
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Hard to tell about the cc played or camber
Bolts man. Some guys say their car was fine on alignment and some guys need them, I purchased a new upper control arm and mountin bracket to correct my pinion angle so I didn't get any premature wear. But it's all up to you on how far you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yeah no need for 1.5. Highly doubt you're alignment will be that far out of spec to need the plates but the bolts are only 30$ so you can get them to be safe than sorry

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Yeah no need for 1.5. Highly doubt you're alignment will be that far out of spec to need the plates but the bolts are only 30$ so you can get them to be safe than sorry

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI

Yeah I got the bolts myself as it was out a little bit on alignment. I don't race either so they're fine for me lol.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
So just springs and a panhard bar?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Unless your alignment guy says other wise for your results. I'm not replacing my shocks and struts until I absolutely have to.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Your prob going to want to figure out something for the top of the strut. I'm in your shoes now, and everything I read talks about how the strut spring retainers are one time use and fall apart when you take them apart to swap the springs. Then if you go with the GT 500 parts you have to change the struts to the 05-09 style. So I think it might be smart to source those parts first or just get the CC plates so you don't get the clanking noise people talk about after lowering their car. Then you have to take it apart again...
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Mine doesn't clang on the shocks and struts. My rear
End does but that's because of my
Control arms. My strut mounts never fell apart or whatever.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Unless your alignment guy says other wise for your results. I'm not replacing my shocks and struts until I absolutely have to.

Same here. Rides fine for now

Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Mine doesn't clang on the shocks and struts. My rear
End does but that's because of my
Control arms. My strut mounts never fell apart or whatever.

I really want to throw my springs on but I am worried I would be the lucky one who has an issue with them. OP, maybe I'm wrong. But I read at least 7 different threads about guys having issues with these and guys with a ton of knowledge saying to go with the gt500 strut mounts and to not even mess with the crappy stock gt ones. Cali, when you took yours apart, did you see why people would say that by looking at the factory strut mount? They say the ball bearings fall out and get lost.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I really want to throw my springs on but I am worried I would be the lucky one who has an issue with them. OP, maybe I'm wrong. But I read at least 7 different threads about guys having issues with these and guys with a ton of knowledge saying to go with the gt500 strut mounts and to not even mess with the crappy stock gt ones. Cali, when you took yours apart, did you see why people would say that by looking at the factory strut mount? They say the ball bearings fall out and get lost.

I didn't do my springs, my friend that works at the dealership did. But I asked him about it and he said they didn't fall out, and mine is fine honestly. And when I do switch, I'm gonna change to the 05-09 and get the konis

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I put the h&r super sport springs on my '12 along with a BMR adjustable panhard bar. Stock shocks, struts and mounts. Had to get camber bolts to correct alignment. These springs provide a considerable drop. I'm sure the pinion angle is off so I plan to do the upper control arm and mount to correct it. Ride isn't too bad, a little bumpy here and there but worth it for the look.

ncfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I did the Steeda sports which are a 1"Front 1.25"Back and the shop told me to get accurate alignment they had to utilize the adjustable camber bolts so I'm thinking that may be a purchase worth considering; I went back and forth on getting some before hitting check out but decided I didn think I would need them with such a mild drop. They are $30 on AM and the shop charged me like $55 for em, which I didn't become privy to until post install.

I also had the 11-14 Koni Yellows installed too. I wondered about the GT500 strut mounts though, will the only work on 05-09 koni yellows?
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
I did the Steeda sports which are a 1"Front 1.25"Back and the shop told me to get accurate alignment they had to utilize the adjustable camber bolts so I'm thinking that may be a purchase worth considering; I went back and forth on getting some before hitting check out but decided I didn think I would need them with such a mild drop. They are $30 on AM and the shop charged me like $55 for em, which I didn't become privy to until post install.

I also had the 11-14 Koni Yellows installed too. I wondered about the GT500 strut mounts though, will the only work on 05-09 koni yellows?

Yeah u have to use the 05-09 model ones.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post

Yeah they have a longer post on the top from what I have gathered. I also got the Steeda sports, they really needed to add camber bolts? I wonder if they were just ripping you off? There are guys on here with 1.5 drops not doing camber bolts sometimes.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah they have a longer post on the top from what I have gathered. I also got the Steeda sports, they really needed to add camber bolts? I wonder if they were just ripping you off? There are guys on here with 1.5 drops not doing camber bolts sometimes.

I had to add them
As my car was out of spec. He showed
Me the paper printout.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I had to add them
As my car was out of spec. He showed
Me the paper printout.

What's your drop?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

1.5 eibach pros

Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My oem strut mounts fell apart once removed. They are indeed a one time use item. I purchased the GT500 strut mounts and 05-09 Koni oranges and I'm good to go. Was aligned, and within spec, albeit extreme spec lol. Better handling characteristics with a bit of negative camber regardless. From what I've seen, everyone's car handles drops differently. I bought the whole shabang with shocks and struts because they're valved properly for a progressive spring rate, unlike the oem equipment. It's all up to you and your goals.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
My oem strut mounts fell apart once removed. They are indeed a one time use item. I purchased the GT500 strut mounts and 05-09 Koni oranges and I'm good to go. Was aligned, and within spec, albeit extreme spec lol. Better handling characteristics with a bit of negative camber regardless. From what I've seen, everyone's car handles drops differently. I bought the whole shabang with shocks and struts because they're valved properly for a progressive spring rate, unlike the oem equipment. It's all up to you and your goals.

I wonder why mine didn't fall apart? That's odd.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I had one fall apart, collected the balls that fell out, cleaned them and put it back together.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfive0 View Post
I had one fall apart, collected the balls that fell out, cleaned them and put it back together.

No issues since?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wonder why mine didn't fall apart? That's odd.

Not sure, as soon as I touched them they crumbled. Suspension probably had 3k on it at the time. All the ceramic balls fell into the grass. I planned on upgrading to the GT500's anyways because I hear the oem's clunk after a bit. Glad I did. Much more heavy duty as well. 2x as thick.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No issues since?

No issues yet. I haven't really pushed the car as far as cornering goes but I drive it daily 20 miles each way to work every day.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My passenger side one fell apart. Only one bearing fell and hit the ground. Picked it up and cleaned it then greased it. Good as new. No problems or clunking. 12,000 miles since the drop.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I don't see any issues cropping up with that low of mileage. You could probably get away with not doing them for 20-30k depending on how bad your roads are. MA roads are horrendous. Pothole city.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Hmm. So sounds like maybe if your prepared for that and you don't lose any of the ball bearings you might be ok.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My car has 56k on it.......

Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

1.5 Inch drop

Quote:
My car has 56k on it.......

There's exceptions to just about everything. You replaced your suspension right upon purchase? I purchased what I did to change the handling characteristics as much as I could within reason. I'm sure springs alone would've accomplished it somewhat. I got away with brand new, well known suspension for under 500$. Can't beat it.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I purchased the car with 52k on it and just put the springs on 3 weeks ago

Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I purchased the car with 52k on it and just put the springs on 3 weeks ago

Oh, I thought you meant you had the springs on for 56k. Stock suspension should last you considerably longer than that. Putting the springs on will just speed up the process of your struts/shocks going a little sooner.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your prob going to want to figure out something for the top of the strut. I'm in your shoes now, and everything I read talks about how the strut spring retainers are one time use and fall apart when you take them apart to swap the springs. Then if you go with the GT 500 parts you have to change the struts to the 05-09 style. So I think it might be smart to source those parts first or just get the CC plates so you don't get the clanking noise people talk about after lowering their car. Then you have to take it apart again...
This is great point. I did everything at once but yes. The front retainer /mount falls apart when installing. For what it is worth I did shocks, struts panhard springs UCA and LCA's at once. The guy who installed didn't say needed but after i bought shocks and struts anyway and he installed he said it was a good idea after installing. Hear allot that over 15,000 you should. I did do Sportlines though. 2" rear 1.5" front
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

1.5 Inch drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
This is great point. I did everything at once but yes. The front retainer /mount falls apart when installing. For what it is worth I did shocks, struts panhard springs UCA and LCA's at once. The guy who installed didn't say needed but after i bought shocks and struts anyway and he installed he said it was a good idea after installing. Hear allot that over 15,000 you should. I did do Sportlines though. 2" rear 1.5" front

Same here. Aftermarket struts and shocks are better valved for progressive spring rates and lowered vehicles in general. I just didn't want to cut any corners and create future issues down the road. Plus it was all relatively cheap.

I also did my own work which saved me a ton of $$$

Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
So if someone goes the GT500 mount route I know they have to get the 05-09 struts, but what if your springs are for 11-14? Do you need to mismatch those also?
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
So if someone goes the GT500 mount route I know they have to get the 05-09 struts, but what if your springs are for 11-14? Do you need to mismatch those also?

Simple answer, Nope!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT