Are Tunes Safe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Are Tunes Safe

At this time my 14 5.0 A has 17k miles on it and i want to tune it but im afraid of something breaking with the tune on the motor and not being covered. How bullet proof is this motor and is it safe to do a modest tune. Note this is my daily driver. i have been on the fence on modding my car for the past couple weeks and need help getting pushed in the right direction.
StangFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you go with a reputable shop or company then you should be fine. As long as they know what there doing it's safe. But if you go cheap it can be detrimental to your car.

I'm in the same place as you and am on the fence if i should tune or not. With these cars to get any power out of bolt ons it seems like a tune is needed. From research I've done I've been leaning towards a steeda CAI/ tune combo as I've read good things about them and their history with ford makes me a little more comfortable with them. Although Bama and others seem to be popular and people have good results with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just get a Lund tune and be done with it. No need for a CAI unless you're after the better looks of it. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ncfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
If you're worried, just log after the tune and you will be able to tell if there is anything dangerous.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
people will come on here and say don't tune your car or whatever because such and such happened to them or someone they know. The reality is a very small percentage of people actually encounter a major problem when they tune their car. Is there a risk? Yes of course just like with anything else in life lol... but with 17k miles on the car and assuming you have been keeping up with the maintenance at a high level and taking care of the car, go ahead and tune it and maybe add a couple more mods here and there to get more out of the tune. Even if something did go wrong (At least this is what my local dealer told me) They would have to prove to me that the tune was the cause of the problem and they even admitted to me (for whatever reason, maybe they wanted to convince me to tune the car so if something did go wrong they could make some money) but either way they said it would be really difficult for them to prove the tune was the cause of the problem. Although my family has bought a few cars from this dealership so that may play into our relationship with them. I am waiting till this weather passes in northern VA so I can order a bunch of parts for spring/summer and I plan on tuning it as well. I am only holding off because I see no point in modding it right now because of the amount of snow we are getting and the salt on the roads. I also daily my 5.0 as well and have the same color as you too lol, I got it in July 2014 it has 9.2K miles on it now. I have roush axle backs after cat x pipe, strut tower brace, gt500 spoiler, hood pins, and some plasti dipped wheels and badges, and I swapped out the shift knob so far. I just did these few basic mods for now so I can enjoy the car a little more but I plan on going all out on it soon enough, if I were you I would start slow if you haven't really modded the car yet and build your way up, but maybe you have already done a couple things here and there but thats just my suggestion... also back to the tune, you should be ok as long as you go with a reputable tuner/tuning company
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Probably the safest route for a DD.TracKey and Track Cal- Ford Racing Performance Parts
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If it's a manual^ that can't be used with an auto
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

Region: California
As ncfive0 said, Just get a Lund Tune and be done with it. Lund is real good. Put his tune on the car, data logged it and during normal business hours I have my answers in 5 minutes or less.
Bigfishtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Here's what you can look forward to.
2012 5.0 Code P0171 Running Lean
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I bought my 14 TrackPak with 2700 miles and it already had a CAI/Tune. I took the tune out and the car instantly lost HP/TQ and it was no longer fun to drive. I have put 4000 miles on the car and over 750 miles from Oregon to California and back and had the needle of the tach in the red a number of times in 4th and 5th gear..... although nothing is guaranteed, it did what I asked it and more.
I wouldn't run a newer Mustang without one. Now with that said I am limited to 91 octane so although I have a 93 octane tune I have never used it, but if I could find some 93 gas I'd put the tune in.
With my car the motor just runs much better than with the stock tune, better throttle responsiveness, smoother idle, and being able to spin the tires at will in 1st/2nd and sometimes 3rd.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Here's what you can look forward to.
2012 5.0 Code P0171 Running Lean
That issue was due to stock tune with steeda intake. ???

Anyways, as long as you go with a reputable tuner, you should be fine.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Some are, some aren't.

Number 5 piston cracked.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I tuned mine within the first month after buying the car, no problems at all. I initially went with Steeda and now run MPT, both are good, just like the feel of MPT better.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Reminds me of the guy on SVT who claimed AED broke his car. I've run that tune for 20K miles on a daily driver with no problems, and the V2 tune is smooth as silk.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Some are, some aren't.

Number 5 piston cracked.
Interesting read.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Only reason I haven't done it is that my GT is my daily driver and only has 7k miles on it. I really don't plan to do any major engine mods to mine until my warranty is done.
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I put the ProCal tune M-9603-MGTB on my '13 GT. This is a good daily driver tune, seems to slightly improve fuel economy 1-2 MPG and doesn't completely torpedo your powertrain warranty.

The possible negatives are that you must have this installed through a Ford or Lincoln dealer and you must use 91+ octane fuel.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Thank god I don't have to drive mine daily. 2013 with less than 5k miles to this date. I can't wait till I have the funds to do a blower, then save for an aluminator. Tune causes an issue, yeah it's bad, but oh well, I'll just have to save.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFlash View Post
At this time my 14 5.0 A has 17k miles on it and i want to tune it but im afraid of something breaking with the tune on the motor and not being covered. How bullet proof is this motor and is it safe to do a modest tune. Note this is my daily driver. i have been on the fence on modding my car for the past couple weeks and need help getting pushed in the right direction.
I lurked everywhere I could when looking to decide on a tune or not. Here is what I found...

When the new 5.0 came out in 2011 there were a moderate number of failures. When these failures happened important information was left out. It's very rare for someone to go, "this failed because of what I did, or what I decided to do". Everyone is going to point the blame where they can because in most cases these cars are people's DD. That said there are some pictures and some decently well documented posts related to the #8 problem and other failures that seem to have been actual factory defects amplified by aggressive driving and or tune.

After sifting through plenty of stories it is wholly inconclusive if anyone ever actually popped a motor on the stock tune. What does appear to have happened is that a group of shops/ tuners tested their tunes on customer cars. A combination of poor tuning knowledge and poor customer awareness resulted in multiple failures. Whether these tuners really learned, or if they found a setup to copy is also not for sure. (I am not going to name shops or tuners, it is not my intention to dissuade support for them, or to bash anyone. That is for you to decide and you are welcome to disagree with me.)

After the initial learning curve most of the tuners with prominent online presence proclaimed they "found the problem" and "have implemented a fix" or "released an updated safe tune" What I don't like here, is that there is no consensus on what was being done wrong. BOTH tuner and customer information is completely missing. What was the exact setup Mr. Customer had? (CAI/ FI/ CAMS...etc) What exactly is mister tuner changing? (spark, messing with knock sensors? injector duty cycle? etc) Do you need to learn what each attribute you can change does? No, but there should be a general agreement of "we all advanced spark to much" or something to that affect from the tuners. Because they want to make money, I'm not sure if they will actually come forward and say as much. HOWEVER to their defense, there are also no data logs from cars that have blown, there is no data anyone can go through and say ah HAH when at WOT in 4th the motor experienced a lean condition and drove temps to a critical threshold. We also cannot tell if it was an immediate failure, or, one that happened after repeated aggressive driving.

As you can see it is very difficult to really identify if people truly understand how they are affecting VE and how to accurately relay that information to a remote tuner. Vice versa, a remote tuner only sees what you choose to data log, you may log for a complete hour but not understand how to produce the scenario where any issues would become apparent. So it's a lot of guess work. I have not in my research seen examples of a lightly modified car experiencing a failure after it has been dyno tuned. I mean a real session of 1-4hrs+ and not a 30min quickie.

If you have not done a whole lot to your car (CAI/EXHAUST etc) then it is ok the go with any one of the numerous tuners out there. You will surely see lots of varying opinions of whose is better. Ultimately with simple mods the guessing remote tuners have to do is easier, and now that all of them have some amount of time on these motors is probably do-able. However if you want something that you know is bulletproof, find a shop local, call them and talk to the tuner. Go and pay for a dyno tune and tell them, its a DD and you want a fund derivable car, but that you need it to last so don't tune to the ragged edge.

What you want to do to your car is up to you. Learn everything you can about the decisions you make, even if you forget it a week later. Make the best informed decision you can make for yourself. Don't buy into the hype and on the same coin, don't buy into the drama or hate. There simply isn't enough information for people to really say shop A truly sucks and shop B is so much better.

Good luck !
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT