2012 5.0 Code P0171 Running Lean - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to JDwoodman
2012 5.0 Code P0171 Running Lean

Hi guys, I have not been active for quite some time but have been having a interesting issue that I hoped someone more knowledgeable than myself could weigh in on.

On my 2012 5.0 I am getting a check engine with the code P0171 for System running lean (Bank1). This code appeared after re-tuning to stock and about 2 hours of easy driving. Please note car is driven hard regularly and I have had NO issues with any lights before and I am at about 30,000 miles. I have tried going back to the Lund Tune...The light goes away and stays away but after returning to "stock" again light appears just after starting the car.

I returned to stock because I want to go into the dealer for a few interior warranty items. I had hoped to complete a full drive cycle so I can say "Its never been tuned and have the warranty still apply"

I appreciate all help and advice. I also look forward to becoming active again on the forum.
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

(SOLD)2010-Sterling Gray V6 Pony Package (too many mods to list)
JDwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDwoodman View Post
Hi guys, I have not been active for quite some time but have been having a interesting issue that I hoped someone more knowledgeable than myself could weigh in on.

On my 2012 5.0 I am getting a check engine with the code P0171 for System running lean (Bank1). This code appeared after re-tuning to stock and about 2 hours of easy driving. Please note car is driven hard regularly and I have had NO issues with any lights before and I am at about 30,000 miles. I have tried going back to the Lund Tune...The light goes away and stays away but after returning to "stock" again light appears just after starting the car.

I returned to stock because I want to go into the dealer for a few interior warranty items. I had hoped to complete a full drive cycle so I can say "Its never been tuned and have the warranty still apply"

I appreciate all help and advice. I also look forward to becoming active again on the forum.
Do you have an intake?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
They will still know that it's been tuned if they dig deep enough.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Do you have an intake?

Yes,

CAI Intake from Steeda
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What kind of mods have you done to the car

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
69mach1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Friend @ dealer said that with a 250 mile drive cycle post re-tune to stock the code will be effectively buried. Can't confirm yet but he normally knows his stuff.

My goal is to get it to the point that I can say the tune was under previous owner and my renewal of warenty was done after any of his actions on the car(bought car with 1200miles)

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1390 View Post

List should be in my signature but if not:

2012-Black 5.0 Premium GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Steeda Cold Air Intake, Boss 302S valve springs, Lund Racing Tune w/ 8k RPM limit, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

2012-Black 5.0 Premium GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Steeda Cold Air Intake, Boss 302S valve springs, Lund Racing Tune w/ 8k RPM limit, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Friend @ dealer said that with a 250 mile drive cycle post re-tune to stock the code will be effectively buried. Can't confirm yet but he normally knows his stuff.

My goal is to get it to the point that I can say the tune was under previous owner and my renewal of warenty was done after any of his actions on the car(bought car with 1200miles)

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Do you have an intake?

Yes,

CAI Intake from Steeda

Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
They will know. The flash changes the key cycles, as well as a few other things I can't think of. Ford really went out of their way to make sure that tuning would effectively void warranty... but they must prove that the tune caused the part to fail.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They will know. The flash changes the key cycles, as well as a few other things I can't think of. Ford really went out of their way to make sure that tuning would effectively void warranty... but they must prove that the tune caused the part to fail.
Well I don't want them really touching motor lol I have a blown out passenger door speaker and some busted trim pieces. I just need it to look good with a quick glance.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Probably from the intake. What is the Id of that intake?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Probably from the intake. What is the Id of that intake?
Not sure on what you mean by intake ID sorry.

The Steeda Part number is: 555-3190

Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Inner diameter. The maf section specifically.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Inner diameter. The maf section specifically.
Ahhh thank you,

It is the 101mm

I want to think its only the intake but only one bank is lean....I was (pun intended) "leaning" toward it being a vacuum leak of some kind.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The steeda maf has to be correctly calibrated which is done with the tune. So to go back to stock tune you may just need to switch back to your factory air box to take it in for service

Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The steeda maf has to be correctly calibrated which is done with the tune. So to go back to stock tune you may just need to switch back to your factory air box to take it in for service

wouldn't an air flow reading issue cause both banks to read lean?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes most of the time but I've heard of it happening over on the steeda sight with a gt500 just the right bank

Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes most of the time but I've heard of it happening over on the steeda sight with a gt500 just the right bank

Ah got it, thanks for the good info, I will get the stock air box on tomorrow AM and see what results I get.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Ahhh thank you,

It is the 101mm

I want to think its only the intake but only one bank is lean....I was (pun intended) "leaning" toward it being a vacuum leak of some kind.
If the ECU is under the impression there is less air coming in than there really is, then there should of course be a lean condition. The fact that it only happens with the stock tune is a secondary clue to the maf size.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I have an Airaid CAI/with SCT tuner from Summit Racing (it was on the car when I bought it with 2700miles), I did the same thing, when I put it back to stock tune it ran ok, but the check engine light only came on when I put my foot in it, and I got the same error code with #1 bank going lean. When I drove around for a couple of days just being easy, I had no issue, it was only when I put my foot in it (after I had been at the dealer for warranty work). Did you clear the code?
One thing you can do, but you will need to drive the car 50/75 miles is to put it back to stock tune after erasing the code, then unhook the battery for 30 plus minutes, then hook the battery back up and drive it for 50/75 miles, this should burry it deep enough that they shouldn't find it on a preliminary CPU hookup at the dealer. When I took it into the dealer I wanted to play safe because mine is a 14, but the service manager told me they never hook up to the CPU to read anything unless they need to pull data out...........for the things you have mentioned I can't see why they would need or want any data...............
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I have an Airaid CAI/with SCT tuner from Summit Racing (it was on the car when I bought it with 2700miles), I did the same thing, when I put it back to stock tune it ran ok, but the check engine light only came on when I put my foot in it, and I got the same error code with #1 bank going lean. When I drove around for a couple of days just being easy, I had no issue, it was only when I put my foot in it (after I had been at the dealer for warranty work). Did you clear the code?
One thing you can do, but you will need to drive the car 50/75 miles is to put it back to stock tune after erasing the code, then unhook the battery for 30 plus minutes, then hook the battery back up and drive it for 50/75 miles, this should burry it deep enough that they shouldn't find it on a preliminary CPU hookup at the dealer. When I took it into the dealer I wanted to play safe because mine is a 14, but the service manager told me they never hook up to the CPU to read anything unless they need to pull data out...........for the things you have mentioned I can't see why they would need or want any data...............
I think I am in the exact same boat you were and and was told the same about making the code about the car being tuned "go away."
I will flash the code and see if it comes back but I should be in good shape if they don't need to tinker with motor. As long as I am able to get my interior items fixed I'll be pretty happy. I am also thinking about putting on stock air box too just for extra certainty even if they argue that I had it tuned.
Running the miles post flash is easy as I often drive the car for work which is 200+ miles in a day.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If the ECU is under the impression there is less air coming in than there really is, then there should of course be a lean condition. The fact that it only happens with the stock tune is a secondary clue to the maf size.
Got it, Thanks for the help I am going to get the factory box on tomorrow and will report back with any change.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

When my car went lean I called a friend at Airaid and also called Mo at SCT. Both guys told me that this condition with a CAI and stock tune happens more often than not...which made me feel a little better. I've had the tune back in the car for over 1500 miles and had punished the red line on numerous occasions with no issues.........................and it's just a lot more fun.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

If you are going in for some interior work like that, there is no need to return your car to stock prior to having that work done. You inform the dealer to please not to change any of the engine parameters. Tell them you have a tune for your intake. MOST dealers will have no problem with that. If they do, you need to do business with another dealership. I am personal friends with the owner of a Ford dealership and we have discussed this very thing. Put one of these on if you dont trust them.

Take a look at the engine bay on my avatar. This car has been back to the dealership for warranty work. I did NOT return to stock LOL as it would have taken days
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
If you are going in for some interior work like that, there is no need to return your car to stock prior to having that work done. You inform the dealer to please not to change any of the engine parameters. Tell them you have a tune for your intake. MOST dealers will have no problem with that. If they do, you need to do business with another dealership. I am personal friends with the owner of a Ford dealership and we have discussed this very thing. Put one of these on if you dont trust them.
I'll bite, where did you get that or how did you make it?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'll bite, where did you get that or how did you make it?
OBDII Port Cover DO NOT REFLASH (200922) - Longhorn Fab Shop

Steeda makes a billet one too. if you want to go all out
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=5551260+01
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post

I love that "do not flash" tag. I just bought myself one lol didn't know that existed.

I did end up putting on the factory intake just now and the P0171 is GONE. Looks like it was the maf size causing the issue.

As for my dealer I guess I am being a little overly cautious but I wanted to be sure it was all covered no questions asked.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Did you get the code off

Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you get the code off

Yes, after I installed the factory intake code disappeared. I dropped the car at dealer yesterday.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Yes, after I installed the factory intake code disappeared. I dropped the car at dealer yesterday.

Thanks for all the help!

What ever happened with your car at the dealer? Did they fix the interior items you wanted? Did they flash your tune even you told them not to? Im nosey about this because my dealer is not the brightest bunch of guys.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
What ever happened with your car at the dealer? Did they fix the interior items you wanted? Did they flash your tune even you told them not to? Im nosey about this because my dealer is not the brightest bunch of guys.

All is well! No issues any all my problems are fixed. New seatbelt/new speaker passenger side and few trim items. They didn't mention anything with the tune so I assume nothing came of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT